A phobia is a scare of a situation, object, or activity that is in excess to the inherent dangerousness in the feared thing. A driving phobia tends to be extremely discomfort to our life because it can stop us from going to any place that we need to be and can even prevent us from the jobs that require driving as a part of work.
If the driving phobia is “haunting” you and preventing you from driving easily, or even at all, it is very important for you to face the phobia so that you are able to get back behind the wheel with a great confidence. Here are some suggestions to guide you on how to overcome the fear of driving effectively.
10 Useful Tips On How To Get Over The Fear Of Driving Quickly:
Maybe at the first time, driving a car is a kind of scary for drivers and those people who are anxious, unconfident. It also frightens ones who have been experienced a car crash. A car is a dangerous machine as it can kill someone and can also frighten everyone. Giving yourself confidence when driving and driving safely are the 2 keys that help you overcoming your fear. Thus, here are 10 simple tips on how to get over the fear of driving that you should keep your head on.
1. Practice Zen Driving:
The first tip on how to get over the fear of driving that I want to introduce is that you should practice Zen driving.
In fact, Zen driving will help you relax and go with the flow. This method is possibly enough for you to overcome some of (if not all) your phobia, including the fear of driving.
Besides, you should learn ways to sleep better before driving because sleeping is one of the best way to calm your brain and relax your tension. Whenever you wake up with a powerful and energized mind, you can focus better on driving.
2. Make Changes To The Car To Improve The Safety Of Your Driving:
There are a lot of things that you can implement to help to raise your feeling of safety whenever you sit in your car:
– Getting broken things repaired instantly: whenever you see anything fails inside your car, you should have it fixed right away. Even if your car is still able to be driven, having some impaired car parts is really a risk of potential damage and dangers to other “organs” of the car, possibly leading to a serious accident. In fact, if your car just has a single headlight or a broken wing-mirror, it can become dangerous. Therefore, you need to set your mind at ease with quick repairs.
– Adjusting the seat depending on how you feel when sitting on it: Throughout the day, your posture is likely to change with increasing fatigue so that you should make adjustments for this by directing your seat positioning.
– Checking if your wing mirrors are properly aligned every single time you get in the car and prepare to drive.
– Checking if your rear vision mirror is properly aligned every single time you get in the car and prepare to drive.
You know that stress and other bad moods can also contribute to any phobia, including the fear of driving. In fact, when you get stress, your brain will be weakened and you will lose concentration partly. That is really dangerous if you are going to drive a car. Thus, I recommend you to learn useful ways to control stress and some special techniques for stress sufferers.
3. Use Affirmations:
You should make use of affirmations to make sure that you are doing the right things and follow all necessary rules while you are driving. Affirmations are a useful way to reassure yourself that you are driving in a good line and situation. With driving, the type of affirmations that you may want to make use are:
– You have planned for this trip from the start to the finish. You really know where you are headed and when you need to make lane changes and turn offs. In fact, you are totally well prepared.
– You do not have to risk switching lanes at the final minute. If you miss a turn off, you will be able to double back somewhere that is safer to do that.
– You do not need to drive fast. In fact, you can drive in the right hand lane if you desire to drive slower than other cars.
– Driving is a popular, daily activity. You are an alert driver that participates in a common activity with enough care.
– You are driving carefully and with the limited speed. You should remember that careful driving means safe driving.
In case that you want to stop the fear of driving within a short time, you should learn ways to stop the terrible driving phobia.
4. Return To Driving In A Graduated Fashion:
– You can also help yourself by thinking about things more easily and simply. You should have adequate parking money in order to drive into a paid parking instead of having to “fight” at the end of your journey to look for a free or cheap park. The extra money that you spent on the easy parking place is really worth paying because you can use the time to reassure yourself that you did well after a hard drive and calm down easily.
– You should drive on highways freeways, motorways, or other busy roads again. You need to count on someone with you when you drive on the roads again and remember to take it very slowly. You should make sure that you know where all the exits are in advance, so you will be able to get off fast if it is really necessary (you should use a GPS navigator for good).
– You need to drive also further onto less familiar roads. You should remember to do this just once you are convinced that you do not need to come back home in a hurry because you are panicking.
– You can also take a small trip on local roads that you are really familiar with. You should increase the time you are driving from your own home to another place gradually, as well. You should also take regular breaks, such as a 10 minute break after every 5-minute period of driving. You need to try writing down the good things about driving and what is not your favorite in this action. For anything that does not make you feel good, you should find the effective solutions.
– Finally, you can sit in the car and familiarize yourself with everything again. Then, you can move the gears, the indicators, the steering wheel, and so on.
Besides, you should know that calming your brain and resting your muscle are also very important in case that you really want to stop any phobia, including the fear of driving. Thus, I recommend you to learn ways to practice yoga poses in the regular basis to get over your fear more effectively.
5. Learn To Reduce Your Tension When At The Wheel:
When you are nervous and tense, you restrict the knowledge being got and worked upon by your brain. You should practice relaxing before driving. If you realize that your mind is tensing up when you are driving, you should tighten consciously and then try to forget and consciously get rid of all tension. You need to keep doing this habit until it becomes a second nature way that helps to relax your mind and your overall body until you realize that you are becoming tense. Without the tension, you will be a safe driver; thereby, you can manage the driving far more efficiently.
– If you are suffering from panic attacks, you should learn ways to deal with them. It will be necessary for you to control your anxiety because this will benefit you a lot in general, not only for driving.
– If you cannot learn how to relax by yourself, you should call for your therapist’s help to practice this.
If panic attacks are your main problem, leading to the driving phobia, you should learn instant ways to stop panic attacks.
6. Avoid Black And White, Or Absolutist, Thinking:
You should know that convincing yourself that siting in a car and driving will be able to attract a terrible accident is a kind of “black and white” thinking. This thinking often rises after the “one trial experiencing” of being involved in a terrible car accident. In basis, you are suggesting to yourself that when you are not being in the car, you are safer and you can avoid any car accident, but when you are sitting in a car, may be you will feel an accident coming near. And while saying things like “long distance driving is dangerous” and “roads are dangerous” may be the factual truths, and repeating these affirmations over and over again to yourself as justifications to avoid driving will do nothing to reduce the potential dangers. These reaffirmations just highlight the real problem and make you avoid the reality that you can actually do things to reduce and minimize the dangers.
– You need to accept that driving is inherently dangerous in people who drive irresponsibly. As a result, you should drive responsibly and carefully. Concretely, you need to always be alert, drive with care, and know your actual limitations. You should also remember and ensure that you will never drink before or during a drive. If you are tired, that is a good reason for you to pull over and rest yourself, or to wait until you feel better before driving. Nevertheless, being tired or getting fatigue is not a reason for never driving again. In fact, it is just a state that will pass.
If you are about a person who often thinks negatively about many things, you should really learn about the ways to think more positively. Then, you will get more confidence and the ability to overcome any fear better.
7. Seek Advice And Help:
It can be very difficult for you to overcome a phobia counting on yourself, especially if you have allowed it to grow over a long period of time. However, in fact, phobias, including the fear of driving can be treated easily and it is necessary for you to seek help for not suffering needlessly. The driving phobia will render you more vulnerable because your judgment can be clouded easily when driving. When you seek a way out of what makes you anxious when you drive, such as feeling dizzy in narrow tunnels, speeding up to get away from trucks or cars, and avoiding freeways. You need to see your doctor at first and discuss with he/she about your feelings, so that the doctor can confirm whether or not you are suffering from a phobia. Then, the doctor will probably recommend a course of action that contains seeing a therapist who will help you deal with cognitive reprogramming. In conjunction with the support you are gaining from such a person, some next remaining steps that they recommend will help you get over your fear of driving more effectively and quickly.
Moreover, you can practice meditation to calm your feelings of nervous and anxious. This is a really good way for you to get your mind more confident. To practice meditation, you should learn deep and powerful meditation techniques.
8. Seek To Recognize Symptoms Of A Phobia In Yourself:
The last tip on how to get over the fear of driving that I want you to learn today from my article is that identifying the symptoms of your driving phobia.
When you are suffering from a fear, you will experience a wide range of emotions and physical reactions. Some of them are mild while some other can be debilitating. The symptoms of the driving phobia may include:
– May be sometimes you feel that siting in your car is unbalanced, that it will tip over when you go around corners, will slip off the road down a cliff or embankment, and so on. Thus, you should not brake a lot if braking is not necessary because this action is a common reaction from nervous drivers. They even sometimes down to do this suddenly in the middle of a wide range of traffic.
– Maybe you feel displaced or surreal because as if it is not you undertaking the activity but someone else. Or you can feel as if you are automated rather than switched on. In the most serious form, these bad thoughts and feelings can be associated with the thoughts about swerving across the road into the path of another vehicle. Maybe in this case, you will actually feel like you cannot stop yourself from doing so.
– Feeling physical reactions such as nauseated chest pains, heart palpitations, tingling lips, headaches, sweating, and a want to vomit, actual vomiting, dizziness, “jelly” legs, feeling faint, dry throat,and so on.
– Stopping the activity altogether: you may not even be able to drive a car anymore. Or else, you may never have even tried to drive a car or sat for a license.
Moreover, the fear of driving is not the only phobia out there. Thus, you should learn ways to overcome social phobias because if you have many phobia at the same time, you will feel scare of everything and dare not to do anything. Or else, if anxiety is your real problem for driving terrible, you should learn secrets to overcome anxiety fast.
9. Count On Another Driver:
If you find you cannot even stand being a passenger in a car, the coming back to driving will be even more difficult for you. You should try to start with a driver that you trust and know that will drive safer and with the better care, then you need to slowly work your way back to the driver's seat with the driver you trust as your passenger.
10. Play Relaxing Music In The Car:
This can help a lot of people to overcome the sense of rising panic attacks by tuning in to the music to reduce the traffic noise.
All of the above tips on how to get over the fear of driving are proven to work effectively for a lot of people. I have studied them for a long time, and now, I am glad to share them with anyone who desires to get rid of the driving phobia within a short time.
If you feel the tips on how to get over the fear of driving I offer in this article are really useful for your current expectation, just feel free to leave all your comments/feedbacks at the end of this post. We appreciate your contribution and will respond all as soon as possible.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- How to cure bronchitis naturally without antibiotics – 8 tips
- How to stop blushing all the time for good – 7 tips
- Mineral oil for constipation dosage in children & its side effects
- Chakra tapping PDF review – is it realiable to read?
- How to prevent listeria bacteria and contamination – 6 tips
- How to cure a fever naturally at home – top 7 fast ways
- Diablo III war review – does Mike and Brad’s guide really work?
- 25 natural home remedies for red eyes from allergies