In fact, painting is still an art, not a science. A real artist will need to always find things that work better than other things. If you are serious about painting with oil and want to make your own masterpiece, you should discover some special oil painting techniques that other artists have used in their paintings to create beauty.
I. Oil Painting Techniques – Simple Tips To Apply:
Oil painting is very flexible. Oil paintings can be used extremely thin in glazes or thick in impasto; they can be transparent or opaque. Here are some useful oil painting techniques that you can make use of to paint wonderful paints.
1. Trying Different Techniques:
There are a lot of ways that you can make use of to perfect your painting. However, learning them can be overwhelming for beginners. Instead, you should focus on picking up these techniques at the same time.
- Trying using a palette knife: This technique is great for landscapes and creating movement on your canvas. You should scoop up a bit of paint on the bottom edge of the knife, and sweep it across the canvas to create thick layers of paint.
- Using stippling to get small dots: You should use a natural bristle brush (dry often works best), and tap it against your canvas vertically. You can set these dots to build up a more opaque figure.
- Trying creating a glaze: This is when you use a paste of 1/3 varnish, 1/3 terpentine, and 1/3 linseed oil to create a transparent color. You should use this mixture with paint color to create a see-through hue over dried paint.
- Trying to blend your paints: This is the process by which you slowly fade two or more different colors (think of a sunset). To do this, add layers of paint so that they are directly adjacent to each other on the canvas. Then, use flat brush to smooth the paints together, working with the direction of the blend.
You can also try useful techniques for cartoon painting if you have time and be interested in this.
2. Mixing The Paints:
Oil painting takes several days to dry. In fact, you almost cannot mix paint that similar to the previous one again, so you should mix it in large batches and protect it between sessions to ensure that you always get enough right color.
- You should use a color wheel that helps you to find right colors to mix. It will show tertiary, secondary, primary colors and ways to mix them.
- To make a tone, you should add white to a shade. Tones are the most widely used because they represent most of the colors we see every day.
- To make a shade, you should add black to any paint color.
- To create a tint, you should add white to the paint. This will help to make a more pastel color and brighten it.
- Pure hues are the colors that cannot be mixed with both black or white. You can mix the primary colors to generate secondary colors.
3. Laying Out The Paint:
You should always lay your oil paints out on your palette in the same order, so with time, you will be able to instinctively get a bit of a colour.
To lay out any paint, you will need to sketch the subject you are going to shot. Therefore, you should also learn sketching techniques, such as simple tips to sketch amnimals, flowers, or people.
If you want to clean away a layer of oil paint or oil varnish, use alcohol, which is a powerful solvent.