Summer is the time when people have to expose their skin to the sunlight so much, experience a hot weather, blue sky, and also the time for various types of outdoor activities such as camping, swimming, and fishing. In fact, summer is the time when sunburn easily becomes a problem.
Sunburn is a common skin condition that is caused by the ultraviolet rays of the sun. It is easily explained that when exposing too much to the UV light, the skin can be damaged, become red and painful and these are some early symptoms of the sunburn. However, it takes about 5 hours for sunburn to appear and it can cause blistering and peel skin if there is no treatment in time. More seriously, sunburn doubles the risk of skin cancer that is impossible to cure once suffering from.
There are many ways to prevent sunburn such as decrease the time exposing to the sunlight especially between 10 a.m to 4 p.m, using clothing to cover skin or applying sunscreen to protect it. But there are also other home remedies useful for you to prevent and treat this skin condition and baking soda is highly recommended. It is a natural substance known as sodium bicarbonate and is crystalline while appearing as a fine powder. With the alkaline nature, baking soda can soothe the sunburned skin, relieve the burning and itching sensations. Therefore, it is advised to keep a baking soda box handy during the summer.
It is time now for VKool to show you 9 simple ways and tips on how to use baking soda for sunburn damage. Our article mentions to all the best usages and recipes of baking soda for treating this skin condition and they are all natural, safe, and effective to do at home. Consult our writing to know more useful ways of using baking soda for quick and effective sunburn relief.
9 Ways How To Use Baking Soda For Sunburn Relief
1. Simple Baking Soda
It is easy and effective to just use baking soda for sunburn which has been widely used for a long time. It is because that baking soda has its certain contents for which it is ideal for this problem. The alkaline property of baking soda is able to soothe the skin, relieve itching and inflammation. Plus, its antiseptic property plays a role in healing the skin, cooling it and retaining the skin’s moisture. Finally, baking soda can balance the pH levels that is one of the factors stimulates the faster healing.
Follow these directions to use baking soda for sunburn in the right ways:
- Use cool water to clean your affected skin
- Stir 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl of water to get a paste
- Use a cotton ball to apply the paste to the sunburn then leave it for 10 minutes
- Wash your skin with cool water then dry it
- Apply this type of paste regularly.
Alternatively, you can sprinkle the baking soda liquid to your affected area like that:
- Make a solution of a ¼ cup of baking soda and a bowl of water
- Pour the solution into a spray bottle then shake it well
- Sprinkle the solution on the sunburn regularly.
2. Sunburn Cream With Baking Soda
Sunscreen is a common way for all to protect their skin from the sunburn. There are many types of sunscreen available on the market, but it can lead to other side effects in some cases. So why don’t you think about making a cream with natural ingredients by yourself which is safe and effective? Making a cream of baking soda for sunburn treatment is recommended as below:
- 2 to 4 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of witch hazel
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint oil
- Mix the witch hazel, aloe vera gel, and water in a small bowl the cover it and keep for 2 hours when they blend and infuse
- Add the baking soda & peppermint oil to the mixture and mix them again
- Transfer the mixture to a container then store it in a dark and cool place a day.
- Now the cream is ready to use so apply it on your affected skin for 5 minutes each time then store the remains in the fridge
- Apply the baking soda cream on a regular basis.
3. Combination Of Baking Soda And Cucumber
Cucumber, as you know, is a cool fruit that is not only great to eat in the hot weather but also excellent to apply to skin for cooling functioning. It is often solely used in beauty recipes when spreading on the facial skin to cool, clean and whiten the skin. Cucumber can be also combined with baking soda for an effective sunburn treatment.
- Cut 2 cucumbers into slices then blend them in a blender
- Stir baking soda in blended cucumber to get a thin paste
- Apply the paste to the sunburn affected skin for a few minutes until it dries
- Rinse your skin with cool water
- Apply this combination regularly.
4. Lavender Oil Addition To Baking Soda
Lavender oil is famous for its typical smell that always brings the feel of relaxing and comfortable for people. This oil is also widely used in beauty recipes particularly for skin care because of its cooling properties. Additionally, lavender oil is added to the recipe of baking soda for sunburn treatment which makes the mixture not only more effective but also smell better.
- Stir ¼ cup of baking soda and 7 drops lavender oil in an adequate amount of plain water
- Use a cotton ball to apply the mixture to the sunburn affected areas and leave it for a few minutes.
- Wash your skin off with cool water and remember to do this process regularly.
5. Combination Of Baking Soda And Vinegar
Vinegar also has the cooling ability, thus, it is combined with baking soda for sunburn treatment. And there are many methods to use them for this condition.
Direction 1: Only vinegar
Vinegar can be used by itself as a treatment of sunburn as one of 3 ways below:
- Stir vinegar in enough water then pour the solution into a spray bottle and spray it on the affected skin.
- Take a fresh washcloth, dip it in vinegar, wring it out then gently pat it on the sunburn affected areas.
- Add diluted apple cider vinegar to the bath water and soak in.
Direction 2: Baking soda and vinegar combination
You can also combine vinegar with baking soda for sunburn treatment as follow:
- Make a paste of baking soda and vinegar then apply it to the sunburn affected areas before going to bed
- Keep the mask overnight and rinse it off in the next morning
- Apply the paste to your skin regularly.
Direction 3: Baking soda and apple cider vinegar combination
Apple cider vinegar is very famous in home remedies for health due to its healthy properties. While baking soda can soothe the itchy skin, apple cider vinegar functions in relieving the skin from the pain. Therefore, the combination of the 2 ingredients makes an excellent one for sunburn treatment. And remember to use diluted vinegar to the skin.
- Stir a ¼ cup of baking soda in a ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- Add several drops of essential oil (peppermint oil, tea oil, or lavender oil) to the mixture.
- Spread the mixture directly onto the sunburn affected skin then let it dry for a few minutes
- Wash the mask off with cool water
- Repeat using the mixture regularly.
6. Rosewater Addition To Baking Soda
It is so surprising that rosewater is able to prevent and also calm the burning and redness that is related to the sunburn because of its anti-inflammatory content. You can simply spray the refrigerated rosewater on your skin as soon as returning from the sunlight which helps low heat. Besides, you can combine rosewater with baking soda for sunburn as the directions below:
- Stir ¼ cup of rosewater and ½ teaspoon of baking soda in a large bowl of water
- Use a cotton ball to apply the solution to the sunburn affected skin for a few minutes
- Apply this solution on a regular basis.
7. Baking Soda Bath
Taking a bath when having sunburn damage is the choice of many people, but it is very important to prepare proper bathing water. And now is the way to prepare great bathing water with baking soda for sunburn treatment:
Direction 1: Only baking soda
In this way, you just use baking soda as an addition to your bathing water so that if helps you relieve the sunburn damage.
Ingredients: 1 cup of baking soda
- Add the baking soda to the bathtub of cool water and stir it well
- Soak your body in the water for about 30 minutes then let it dry
- Repeat this bath daily.
Note: You can add Epsom salt to your bathing water with baking soda then soak in for 15 minutes, or mix this salt with baking soda in water then dip a cloth in and place it on the sunburn affected areas.
Direction 2: Baking soda mixture
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 2 cups of powdered chamomile flowers
- 3 cups of colloidal oatmeal
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- Stir all the ingredients in a bathtub of lukewarm water
- Soak your body in the bath water for a few minutes then clean your body with fresh water if you want
- Take this bath regularly.
Read more: Detox bath recipe: best natural solutions
8. Usage Of Baking Soda For Sunburn Blisters
Sunburn blisters are symptoms of sunburn condition which are uncomfortable and able to cause itchy and painful sensations. In some case, sunburn blisters cause skin infections then lead to more pain, swelling, and even a fever.
In common, people use some simple home remedies to treat sunburn blisters because they can help soothe the pain, prevent the infection, and stimulate the healing process. And it is not strange to use baking soda for sunburn blisters with the directions below:
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to 1 tablespoon of baking soda then mix them together
- Apply the mixture to the sunburned blisters then keep for a few minutes
- Gently wipe it off
- Repeat this remedy regularly.
9. Some More Tips
When using baking soda for sunburn damage, you should pay attention to some points that are listed below to ensure an effective result.
- Always mix baking soda with cool water (not hot one as it can cause more pain) and just leave it less than 10 minutes on the sunburn affected areas.
- Always let a baking soda mixture air dry.
- Add vitamin E or aloe vera to the affected skin after applying baking soda for it.
- Remember to carry out small tests before trying these remedies and discontinue when you feel irritated.
- In cases of suffering from sunburn, immediately take the patients to a cool place, then apply a cold compress to the feet and palms in order to cool down the body.
Related article: 22 Home remedies for sunburn itch on face and body
There are many other healthy ingredients available in our main Health page, thus, drop by if you want to see more. With the writing of 9 ways and tips on how to use baking soda for sunburn relief, we hope that you can understand more about this skin condition as well as find the best way to apply to your condition. Always carry out small tests before considering theses remedies as your main treatment of sunburn damage as there may be other side effects in some cases. Please let us know if you have any question or concern about our topic then we will respond answer you as soon as possible. And feel free to share your knowledge if you know other ways of using baking soda for sunburn.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- Old school new body review – is Steve & Becky’s book useful?
- 30 Natural Home Remedies For Bee Stings Itching And Swelling
- 7 Home remedies for bleeding gums and bad breath during pregnancy
- How to prevent seasickness on a boat or cruise ship
- Benefits of breathing exercises for stress relief & health
- 9 best vitamins for weight loss & their natural sources
- Olive oil for face mask: top 13 effective facial masks
- Anti aging facial exercises do they work: 12 best choices