Cilantro belongs to the carrot family which consists of plants like parsley, celery, cumin, carrot, and parsnip. Cilantro has its origin in Asia Minor (Turkey) and the Mediterranean regions. Besides the wonderful taste, this herb contains a host of other advantages. Its leaves are full of numerous antioxidant polyphenolic flavonoids such as kaempferol, rhamnetin, quercetin, and apigenin. In addition, seeds and its leaves comprise of many essential oils such as linalool, cineole, borneol, cymene, phellandrene, dipentene, terpineol, pinene and terpinolene. Moreover, it is low in calories and has no cholesterol. Last but not least, its strong-green leaves own great amounts of antioxidants, vitamins, essential oils, and dietary fiber as well, which can reduce bad cholesterol levels in the blood. To read more about beauty and health benefits of cilantro, continue reading this post at VKool.com site.
Top 11 Beauty & Health Benefits Of Cilantro You Should Know
1. Benefits Of Cilantro – Reduce Blood Pressure
Cilantro can reduce hypertension by reducing blood pressure. Particularly, cilantro is a powerhouse of magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron, and manganese. Iron is vital for the production of red blood cell. This herb is also low in sodium. As a result, it helps curb heart rate as well as blood pressure. Thus, when looking for the best benefits of cilantro, you must remember this advantage.
Read on: Blood Pressure Solution Review
2. Benefits Of Cilantro- Anxiety Treatment
One of the health benefits of cilantro is treating anxiety. Cilantro acts as a mild laxative because of its muscle relaxing qualities. It helps calm the nerves, thus eliminating anxiety and decreasing the bad effects of stress. You can mix cilantro juice with cucumber and celery juices and consume this juice towards the final of the day because it is a good way to replenish the body with B vitamins to enable you to de-stress and help calm the mind as well.
3. Cardiovascular Health
Cilantro is free in cholesterol but rich in essential oils, antioxidants, vitamins and dietary fiber which help reduce bad cholesterol or LDL and increase good cholesterol or HDL levels. Therefore, it is useful for cardiovascular health. In addition, it helps dissolve build up of cholesterol in the arteries, thereby helping those suffering from heart disease and atherosclerosis. Thus, one of the best benefits of cilantro is good for cardiovascular health.
4. Heavy Metal Detoxifier
One of the best benefits of cilantro is taking heavy metals out of the body because it contains “chelation agent” or heavy metal detoxifier. Basically, these metals enter the body through non-organic food consumption, eating fish, using conventional water supplies, smoking, using deodorants, cooking in aluminum foil or aluminum vessels, using metal fillings or vaccines in teeth, taking OTC drugs like antacids. They lead to serious heart problems like brain deterioration, cancer, emotional problems, heart, lung and kidney diseases, as well as weak bones. This herb can mobilize mercury from the central nervous system and brain by separating it from the adipose tissue and shifting it into the lymph and blood where it safely gets removed in combination with spirulina. This combination will give relief from toxicity and mercury poisoning. Cilantro contains various chemical compounds that bind to toxic metals and promote their removal by unbinding them from the tissues.
You can find more benefits of cilantro by continuing reading this post!
5. Antioxidant Properties
Cilantro herb contains the antioxidant properties that delay the aging process and prevent chronic diseases later on in the life by giving your cells protection from oxidative stress caused due to free radicals. Moreover, the antioxidant activity in this herb protects against the most degenerative ailments such as cancer, macular degeneration, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease as well as heart disease.
6. Anti-fungal And Anti-bacterial Properties
Cilantro can fight off salmonella bacteria and trigger salmonella poisoning because it owns an anti-bacteria compound named dodecanal. Its anti-bacterial properties also help to improve oral health. Further, this herb contains the anti-microbial substances that help prevent and treat small pox, and cure diarrhea caused due to fungal or microbial infections.
7. Benefits Of Cilantro – Digestive Aid
Basically, cilantro leaves give relief from indigestion problems and feelings of nausea as well. They facilitate the digestive tract to help produce digestive enzymes and more digestive juices, thereby preventing flatulence as well as settling queasy stomach. Plus, it also enhances digestion through peristaltic action. This herb also helps promote healthy liver function thanks to its antioxidant properties. Moreover, cilantro leaves help relieve gastrointestinal problems because they are packed with roughage and fiber.
8. Natural Deodorant
Cilantro herb works as a natural internal deodorant because it is rich in chlorophyll that helps detox the body. It also helps to take excess bacteria out of the body by removing toxins from the kidney, liver, and digestive tract. Chlorophyll can also inhibit bacteria because it is high in oxygen content and thus, this herb helps the body deodorize as well as smell great.
9. Menstrual Disorders Treatment
Treating menstrual disorders is also one of the greatest health benefits of cilantro. Cilantro seeds are loaded with acid, ascorbic acid, palmitic acid and steric acid. They support hormones’ proper secretion and prevent menstrual disorders as well. For this purpose, you need to soak the leaves in water overnight and the next morning, consume it to get maximum benefits.
10. Skin Benefits Of Cilantro
The skin needs proper nutrition to keep its health and lessen skin problems as well. For this purpose, it’s vital to keep a balanced diet. In addition, certain external factors adversely affect the skin such as harsh chemical treatments, exposure to UV rays, prolonged illness etc. And cilantro can be very beneficial in skincare because it possesses certain vital minerals and nutrients that are required for a healthy skin. Cilantro works as a natural anti-fungal and antiseptic property in skin disorder treatment like eczema and dermatitis. It also can prevent and treat small pox too because it owns anti-microbial substances. Cilantro can also absorb excess oil from the face. You can apply some cilantro juice on the face and after an hour, wash off if you own an oily skin. Additionally, its juice is quite effective in removing acne and blackheads. For treating this problem with cilantro juice, you can mix cilantro juice (1 teaspoon) with 1 lime juice (teaspoon). Then, apply it on your affected areas and wait for an hour. Finally, wash off using warm water. Furthermore, preventing aging signs is also one of the top benefits of cilantro for skin. Cilantro is rich in a few antioxidants that prevent damage from free radicals. An antioxidant is also vital for keeping healthy mucus membranes. Vitamin C in it is a powerful natural antioxidant combating free radicals, thus triggering signs of aging such as sagging skin, wrinkles, and pigmentation. Finally, you can apply some cilantro juice on the lips to help lighten their colors.
11. Hair Benefits Of Cilantro – Combat Hair Loss
Reducing hair loss is also one of the best benefits of cilantro. It is a wonderful cure for enhancing new hair growth and lowering hair loss because it contains essential proteins and vitamins which aid in hair growth. For this purpose, mix fresh cilantro leaves with few water drops and extract its juice to make a paste. Before shampooing, apply this paste on your scalp for 60 minutes. Use this pack twice a week for two to three weeks to obtain effective results. Another option is to infuse the hair oil with a powder made from their seeds while massaging the hair. You can also boil a handful of cilantro leaves in some water to prepare a hair rinse and cool it before using.
Other Benefits Of Cilantro:
- As talked earlier, cilantro herb is full of essential minerals and vitamins. It is high in iron which is helpful for people with lower levels of hemoglobin and cures anemia. On the other hand, magnesium strengthens the bones and enhances proper function of the nervous system. Chewing of raw leaves of cilantro is also helpful for those suffering from asthma and bronchitis. The cilantro oil helps cure mouth ulcers due to the presence of antiseptic agents in it.
- Aiding in weight loss is also one of the top benefits of cilantro. It’s good for obese people because it helps reduce the fats and hence, aids in weight loss.
- Cilantro has the ability to reduce cholesterol as well as blood sugar levels. Particularly, it is useful for diabetic patients because it helps regulate and keep their blood sugar stable thanks to its low sodium and high potassium ratio.
- Cilantro can relieve inflammatory conditions like arthritis and reduce minor swelling because it possesses powerful anti-inflammatory agents. Apart from that, it also prevents conjunctivitis.
- Cilantro also helps improve the quality of the sleep by reducing stress and anxiety because it’s a calming herb. This is also one of the greatest benefits of cilantro.
Apart from some benefits of cilantro, we also want to introduce our readers a few healthy and delicious cilantro recipes. Try some dishes with cilantro below:
Chicken Cilantro Salad Recipe
This recipe is very delicious and easy to make at home. Try it right now.
- 1 1/2 lb of boneless chicken thighs with skin
- Chopped cilantro, for garnishing
- Lime wedges, for garnishing
- 4 minced cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of cilantro stems and leaves, finely chopped
- 1 heaping teaspoon of red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt or more to taste
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 375 ºF. Next, whisk together all of these ingredients and in 1 big bow, leave aside for the purpose of marinade together and now mix well.
- Add the chicken into this marinade, and then stir well until it is coated totally. Marinate for fifteen minutes or more.
- Take a skillet and heat up. After that, fry the chicken with its skin-side down until the chicken becomes brown slightly. Turn it over and then fry its other side till it also turns suitably brown.
- After that, transfer the skillet to an oven and now bake it for twenty minutes.
- To a serving platter, transfer the residual marinade liquid and the chicken, drain off the oil.
- Finally, drizzle 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice and then garnish with cilantro. Enjoy immediately.
Read on: 31 Healthy Summer Salad Recipes
Cilantro Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes in this recipe are loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C, copper, manganese, and other minerals and vitamins. Check it out!
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest or lime zest or
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, finely chopped (consisting of tender stems)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon or lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- Prepare a grill for the cooking at first and prepare the potatoes and then cut them diagonally, into around ¼ inch-thick pieces.
- Drizzle the slices of sweet potato with olive oil and then sprinkle it with some kosher salt.
- After that, put all these ingredients into 1 bowl. Put those potatoes face down on that grill once it is hot and grill it till those potatoes appear grill marks on them.
- In a bowl, toss the sweet potatoes and add all the dressing complete with these cilantro leaves. Finally, serve piping hot.
Fish With Cilantro
- Slivered almonds – 2 tablespoons
- Lightly packed cilantro leaves – 2 cups
- Crushed cloves garlic – 2
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Canola oil – 2 tablespoons
- Freshly ground pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- Lime juice – 1 tablespoon
- Nonfat plain yogurt – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- All-purpose flour – 1/3 cup
- Freshly ground pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- Extra-virgin olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- 1 pound of catfish, haddock, or tilapia, cut into four portions
- Prepare pesto by in a small &dry skillet, frying almonds over medium heat, shaking or stirring the pan almost often, until they turn to golden color, around three minutes. Later remove this pan from heat and leave it to cool slightly.
- Then, drop garlic into 1 blender and add these toasted almonds and now process until ground. After that, add cilantro, pepper and salt; process until it is chopped finely.
- Gradually add the yogurt, canola oil, and lime juice with the motor still running; keep blending until this mixture creates a paste. Finally, taste and add additional seasonings when needed.
- Prepare fish by in a shallow dish, combining flour, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt; and then brushing off the additional flour.
- In 1 large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium to high heat. Afterwards, add the fish to it, and now cook until it becomes slightly browned together with just opaque in its center, three to four minutes per side.
- Lastly, serve each fish portion with around one tbsp of pesto.
- 2 tablespoons of minced fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup of chopped plum tomato
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 finely chopped and peeled avocado
- To prepare chicken: Firstly, in a large bowl, combine first 4 ingredients; toss it well and leave it to stand for some time.
- Remove the chicken from marinade and now set aside the marinade. After that, sprinkle the chicken over a pan and add ¼ teaspoon of salt.
- Take a grill pan and heat it over medium-high heat. Then, coat pan with fat. Afterwards, add chicken to the pan; cook six minutes on each side and then continue doing so till it’s done.
- To prepare salsa: Firstly, in 1 medium bowl, combine tomato with next four ingredients (through pepper). Then, add the avocado and properly stir it to mix it up. Finally, serve the salsa over the chicken.
- Olive oil – 3 tablespoons
- Chopped white onion – 1/2
- Jasmine rice – 2 1/2 cups, rinsed & drained
- Large garlic cloves – 2
- Reduced sodium chicken broth – 1 quart, divided
- 1 bunch of cilantro, stem ends trimmed
- Kosher salt – 1 teaspoon
- Firstly, in a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Next, add the rice to it and then cook, stirring constantly, until it becomes golden in spots for around eight minutes.
- Stir in the onion afterwards and cook it until glossy, four minutes.
- At the same time, in a blender, combine the cilantro, garlic, 2 cups of broth, along with the salt; whirl until smooth, about two minutes.
- Then, pour over the rice. Now stir in the rest of 2 cups of broth.
- Thereafter, bring to a boil, and decrease heat to low. Cover and cook until the liquid has been nicely absorbed and the rice is pliant for a minimum of 17 minutes.
This drink nourishes your body with the amazing health benefits of cilantro.
- Cilantro, chopped – ½ cup
- Organic apple juice – ½ cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Any green powder – 1 teaspoon, preferably wheatgrass powder
- Simply, take the four ingredients and blend them in a blender.
- Lastly, enjoy your healthy concoction.
You can also read more useful posts by visiting our main Health page. The benefits of cilantro are for health and skin or hair care generally far too many. If you know other benefits of cilantro missed in this article, please share with us and other readers by commenting in the box below.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- How to fix leather furniture and leather scratches – 7 tips
- How to overcome shyness and social anxiety – 9 tips
- 10 Home remedies to get pregnant fast
- How to use ginger for acid reflux? 17 easy and simple ways
- How to reduce cortisol levels in the body – 11 tips
- Good & comfortable sleeping positions during pregnancy
- At-home tips on how to keep fruits and vegetables fresh for longer
- How to prevent dry mouth and bad breath at home