Cloves are known as small, dried flower buds, which come from the evergreen tree of clove. They have a sweet, penetrating flavor and are always used in cooking and baking. In addition to its culinary uses, cloves may also play an important role in keeping the body healthy as well as free from many ailments.
These health benefits of cloves and clove oil may be due to their antioxidant, antifungal, aphrodisiac, antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties.
Cloves contain at least 36 various ingredients, one of the most important ingredients is an essential oil also called eugenol. Moreover, cloves are very rich in potassium, phosphorus, iron, manganese, sodium, dietary fiber, iodine, vitamins C and K, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, and calcium.
In Chinese and Ayurveda medicine, the dried leaves, stems, flower buds, and its essential oil are used to prepare the medicine. Powdered cloves, whole cloves, and the oil may be easily bought in the market.
These health benefits of cloves below are simply wonderful and you can be surprised to know of their medicinal power. In this article, VKool will present to you top 10 health benefits of cloves. This article listed the best advantages of cloves from reliable sources. However, it is only for the informational target and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to understand more!
Top 10 Health Benefits Of Cloves You should Know
1. Stop Bad Breath
Cloves are a natural antiseptic that is very helpful in removing bad breath. Click To Tweet Cloves may kill bacteria in your mouth, which cause bad breath. Moreover, they help to clean bacteria as well as decaying matter from your tongue, palate, and the upper part of your throat. Their strong aromatic properties also aid in combating foul bad breath.
- Simply, you chew several pieces of cloves and after a few minutes, the bad breath problem will be gone.
- You may also gargle with a little cool clove tea for two or three times per day.
2. Soothe Toothaches
Cloves or clove oil is one of the most effective natural treatments when it comes to treating toothaches. Their analgesic and anti-inflammatory components will help to reduce the swelling around this infected tooth and relieve the pain. In addition, their antiseptic property will aid in fighting the infection in your affected area as well as prevent it from spreading.
- Firstly, you pour a little clove oil onto a cotton ball.
- Then, you rub this ball on the sore tooth along with the surrounding gums.
- Another option, you may grind 2 cloves, mix it in some drops of olive oil and apply the mixture onto the affected areas.
- If you get clove leaves, you place a crushed leaf onto the painful tooth and then leave it there for several minutes.
Read more: The book of whitening teeth secrets
3. Improve Digestion
Thanks to their carminative properties (relieve flatulence and prevent gas formation), cloves play an important role in the digestive process. They can aid in boosting up your digestive system by encouraging the production of enzymes in your digestive tract.
Cloves can also help to relax your smooth lining of your gastrointestinal tract, which in turn alleviates vomiting, diarrhea, intestinal gas, stomach aches, and gastric irritability.
Furthermore, the essential oils present in cloves are very effective in reducing the inflammation and fighting bacteria in your stomach to aid in keeping stomach infections at bay.
You can add a little of cloves into your foods to improve your digestive system. Another option, you may consume a clove after each meal as a good mouth freshener.
Learn more: Best vitamins for digestive issues
4. Treat Vomiting And Nausea
Cloves may also relieve nausea thanks to their aromatic as well as soothing properties. They may even be used to cure nausea related to pregnancy and morning sickness.
- To get instant relief from nausea, you put some drops of clove oil onto a handkerchief and inhale its smell. You may also chew 1 or 2 cloves.
- To stop vomiting, you mix the powdered cloves with a little honey and then swallow it. You may also mix some drops of clove oil into 1 glass of lukewarm water and sip it on slowly.
5. Treat Headaches
Even if you suffer from a headache due to a migraine, cold, or tension, clove oil may help you to get rid of this problem quickly. Clove oil contains pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. In addition, the soothing and cooling effect of this oil will aid in relieving the pain.
- Simply, you put some drops of clove oil onto a piece of clean cloth or tissue and then place it on the forehead. Then, you leave it on there for about 15 to 20 minutes to help in opening the blood vessels and alleviating your headache.
- Another option, you mix 2 or 3 drops of clove oil and 1 teaspoon of sea salt into 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, almond oil, or other carrier oils and massage this oil mixture on your forehead.
See more: Natural home treatments for headaches
6. Relieve Joint Pain
Thanks to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, clove oil may reduce the inflammation and alleviate joint pain, arthritis pain, and muscle aches. Being rich in calcium, iron, and omega-3 fatty acids, clove oil can also improve the strength of the joints and bones.
- You mix a little clove oil with a type of carrier oil such as olive oil to massage your sore muscles, painful joints, and other parts of your body affected by rheumatism and arthritis. You should do this simple way for several times per day.
- Another option, you roast a few cloves and then wrap them into a soft cloth. Now, you place the pouch onto the affected body part when it is still warm till your pain is lessened.
7. Ease Earaches
The mild antibacterial and anesthetic properties present in cloves may give immediate relief from an earache as well as treat ear infections.
- You combine equal amounts of sesame oil and clove oil and then slightly warm this mixture. Next, you soak a cotton ball into this warm mixture and place this ball just inside your ear canal. The pain quickly subsides and it will help to fight any infection that can be present.
- Another option, you mix 1 tablespoon of crushed cloves into 1/4 cup of boiling olive oil. Then, you let it stand for 35 min and then strain it. Now, you put some drops of this mixture in the affected ear and leave it in your ear for at least ten minutes. Finally, you drain it out of your ears.
8. Fight Stress
Thanks to their strong yet soothing aroma, these cloves may help you to relax and relieve stress. Stress usually causes the muscles of your body to become tense. Eugenol, one component found in cloves, is a popular muscle relaxant.
- You add some drops of clove oil into your bath water and take a bath to help you in relaxing. It will soothe the senses and reduce stress in your body.
- You may also drink 1 cup of clove tea in order to relieve stress.
9. Cure Acne
Cloves may also be used to get rid of acne and other skin problems such as blackheads, whiteheads, pimples, and scaly and scarring skin. They are also extremely effective in preventing marks or blemishes that usually appear as well as acne has subsided.
In addition, the antimicrobial properties present in cloves can help to kill bacteria and thus decrease the ability of acne spreading to other unaffected areas
To get rid of acne, you mix clove oil with coconut or jojoba oil at the ratio of 1:10. Then, you apply this oil mixture on the affected area by using a cotton ball. You should do this simple way for twice per day on the daily basis until you get the best result.
Read more: List of worst foods causing acne breakouts
10. Improve Respiratory Conditions
Both clove oil and cloves are extremely effective for your respiratory system thanks to their expectorant, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties.
They may be used to cure a common cold, sore throat, viral infections, stuffy nose, asthma, bronchitis, tuberculosis, and various sinus conditions. In addition, this spice can also work as one potential chemoprotective agent for the lung cancer.
- Simply, you drink 2 to 3 cups of clove tea per day when you are having a respiratory condition.
- You may also add clove oil into the hot water and then inhale the aromatic steam.
- You can chew on 1 or 2 cloves on the regular basis to prevent various respiratory problems.
With all of the above health benefits of cloves, it is a great idea for you to keep it handy. Remember that use of clove oil or cloves too much at a time may have a negative effect on your health. Therefore, you should consult a doctor to have a proper dosage.
If you want to know more about benefits of other ingredients, please go to our main Health. After reading the article of top 10 health benefits of cloves, hope that it can help you find out the best benefits of cloves. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice. If you have any question, please leave the comments below, I will respond you as soon as possible. And if you know other health benefits of cloves, please leave them below.