Cornmeal is one of the popular cooking ingredients. And it is made by grinding the corn kernels into the coarse powder. According to Colorado State University, one thing which makes cornmeal become different from the wheat grains is that cornmeal is considered as the safe cooking ingredient for people who suffer from gluten intolerance or celiac disease because it is composed of gluten.
Besides, cornmeal provides you with a great source of essential nutrients. A meal with 3.5 ounces of cornmeal consists of 5.88 grams of fat as well as 384 calories, of which one gram is saturated. The fat left is in the form of the heart – healthy unsaturated fats. In addition, the more impressive thing is the approximate 10 grams of protein in the portion of cornmeal. And this amount can translate to 22% of the 46 grams of protein which all women need in their diet every day as well as 16% of the 56 grams which all men ought to have each day. Furthermore, it does not have any cholesterol.
For these reasons above, cornmeal can bring a lot of benefits to our lives. Do you want to know them? Now it’s time to relax and read this article on our page VKool.com which will present to you 10 benefits of cornmeal.
Top Benefits Of Cornmeal For Health, Hair, And Skin
1. Reduce Risk Of Colorectal Cancer And Hemorrhoids
Reducing risk of colorectal cancer as well as hemorrhoids is said to be one of the important benefits of cornmeal. The fiber content of a cup of cornmeal can amount up to 18 percent of the recommended amount of corn per day. This helps with the alleviating digestive system like hemorrhoids and constipation. Click To Tweet Besides that, it can help to lower the risk of colon cancer because of corn being the whole-grain. As you can see, fiber has been promoted as the way to decrease the colon risk for a long time; however, conflicting and insufficient data exists for the relationship of fiber with preventing cancer, even though whole-grain consumption has been proven in order to reduce that risk.
In addition, fiber can help in bulking the bowel movements up, which can stimulate peristaltic motion. Even, it can stimulate the gastric juice and bile production. Also, it can add bulk to the overly loose stools. That is able to low reduce the chances of diarrhea as well as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
2. Protect Your Heart
When talking about the benefits of cornmeal, this will be a mistake if this benefit is not mentioned. And this benefit is to protect the heart. According to some researchers, corn, in general, and cornmeal, in particular, has been presented to have the anti-atherogenic effects on the cholesterol levels. Therefore, it can help to reduce the risk of several cardiovascular diseases. Moreover, it is considered as one of the best ways which can help to increase the heart health. The fact shows that corn is very close to the optimal fatty acid combination. And this permits the omega – 3 fatty acids to strip the damaging “bad” cholesterol away along with replacing them at binding sites. It will also reduce the chances to become clogged, reduce blood pressure as well as reduce the chance of stroke and heart attack.
3. Provide Necessary Minerals
Cornmeal is composed of plentiful minerals that positively profit the bodies in many ways. And all varieties of corn as well as cornmeal contain phosphorus, manganese, iron, copper, magnesium, along with zinc. Also, cornmeal contains the trace minerals just like selenium, which can’t be easy to find in almost normal diets.
Meanwhile, phosphorus is necessary for adjusting normal growth and bone health, together with optimal kidney function. Magnesium is important to maintaining the normal heart rate as well as increasing bone strength. That’s why it is considered as one of the wonderful benefits of cornmeal.
4. Control Hypertension And Diabetes
In the list of benefits of cornmeal, controlling hypertension as well as diabetes is also mentioned. In current decades, the world seems to suffer from the epidemic of diabetes. And generally, it is supposed to relate to the nutrition even though the accurate mechanism for that can’t be pinpointed. Therefore, consuming cornmeal or corn or vegetables and fruits like corn will help you to reduce signs of diabetes. Some studies have presented that the consumption of cornmeal or corn kernels can help with the management of the non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.
Besides that, when you consume cornmeal or corn kernels, it will help you to fight against hypertension because of the phenolic phytochemicals which are found in cornmeal. In addition, phytochemicals are able to regulate the release and absorption of insulin in your body. That is able to decrease the chance of drops and spikes for the diabetic patients, together with helping them to maintain the normal lifestyle.
See more: Reverse Diabetes Now
5. Provide Vitamin A Content
One of the benefits of cornmeal is to provide is with a lot of beta-carotene, which can help to form vitamin A in your body. And it is also important to maintain the good skin and vision. In addition to that, vitamin A is also very good for skin as well as mucus membranes. Besides, vitamin A which is derived through beta-carotene can help to boost the immune system.
Furthermore, the amount of beta-carotene which is not transformed into vitamin A in your body can act as the powerful antioxidant, just like all carotenoids. This powerful antioxidant can fight against the terrible diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
6. Lower LDL Cholesterol
Consuming cornmeal can help to lower plasma LDL cholesterol by decreasing the cholesterol absorption in your body, which is presented by the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. And as you have seen, the reduction of LDL cholesterol doesn’t mean the reduction in HDL cholesterol that is concerned “good cholesterol”. This good cholesterol has a plenty of beneficial effects on your body, including the prevention of atherosclerosis, along with the reduction of heart diseases. It also has an effect on the general scavenger of the free radicals throughout your body.
7. Benefits Of Cornmeal – Prevent Anemia
If you are looking for the benefits of cornmeal for health, preventing anemia is one of them. Why can cornmeal help to prevent anemia? As you can see, anemia is often caused due to the lack of vitamins. Meanwhile, cornmeal contains a considerable level of iron that is one of the important minerals which need forming the new red blood cells. If you are lack of iron, you may suffer from anemia.
8. Benefits Of Cornmeal – Provide Essential Vitamins
One of the benefits of cornmeal which also need to be mentioned in this article is to provide essential vitamins. Corn, in general, and cornmeal, in particular, is a rich source of vitamin B, especially niacin and thiamin. As you know, thiamin is very important for maintaining the cognitive function and nerve health. Meanwhile, lack of niacin can lead to Pellagra which is a disease caused by diarrhea, dermatitis and dementia which is popularly seen in malnourished people.
Besides that, cornmeal is said to be one of the good sources of Pantothenic acid. That is an essential vitamin for protein, lipid metabolism as well as carbohydrate in your body. In addition to that, cornmeal is a rich source of vitamin E, a natural antioxidant that can be important for the growth as well as protection of your body from the illness and disease.
9. Treat Dryness And Hair Loss
If you are suffering from dryness as well as hair loss, cornmeal is also a good treatment for you because of its vitamin E as well as fatty acids. Therefore, using cornmeal can help to nourish your hair, keep it hydrated along with preventing premature aging. Besides that, the antioxidants can help in preventing cell damage by blocking the free radicals. Moreover, it consists of vitamin K which can help with the absorption of calcium, so it is able to prevent hair loss. That’s why cornmeal is usually used to take care of your hair
10. Benefits Of Cornmeal – Exfoliate Skin
In the list of benefits of cornmeal for health, hair and skin, exfoliating your skin has to be mentioned, too. It can help to remove dead skin cells as well as dirt and then it leaves you a smooth and soft skin. Besides, if you decide to use cornmeal as your skin exfoliation once per week, it does not cost too much money. Especially, it is very safe for your skin.
Every week, you just need to take an enough amount of cornmeal. Then you add an enough amount of water and mix them well so that you can have a fine paste. After that, you apply this mixture on your face, along with your body. Finally, you wash it off with water after it dries.
Learn more: How To Use Honey For Blackheads Removal
Besides these benefits of cornmeal above, you can use cornmeal in order to have a beautiful skin. Here are some recipes for using cornmeal which you can follow to have a perfect skin.
- You just need to prepare a half cup of cornmeal, 2 drops of orange essential oil as well as 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel. Then you mix all ingredients well together. Next, you apply this mixture on your skin and leave it on for about a few minutes. Finally, you rinse off your skin with lukewarm water and apply your moisturizer.
- Alternatively, you can use apple cider vinegar with cornmeal. Before you mix apple cider vinegar with cornmeal, you ought to dilute it with water. Then you mix the diluted apple cider vinegar with two or three tablespoons of cornmeal. After that, you scrub this mixture on your face. Finally, you wash it off after you leave it on for about 10 minutes. Pay attention that if you have oily skin, you do not need to dilute apple cider vinegar. And if you have sensitive skin, you ought to add more water to dilute apple cider vinegar.
- Besides, if you want to use cornmeal to moisturize your skin, you can combine cornmeal with honey, heavy cream and lemon juice. Firstly, you take a tablespoon of cornmeal, a tablespoon of honey, a tablespoon of lemon juice as well as 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Then you mix them well together. After that, you apply this mixture on your skin. Finally, you wash it off after leaving it on for a few minutes.
- If you have dry skin, you can combine cornmeal with oatmeal and wheat germ. Before doing this method, you ought to prepare a tablespoon of cornmeal, a tablespoon of oatmeal, as well as a tablespoon of wheat germ. Next, you mix all the ingredients with an enough amount of water in order to have a fine paste. After that, you apply this paste on your skin and massage in a few minutes so that this paste can exfoliate your skin. Finally, you wash your skin off with water and then apply your moisturizer.
- If you have oily skin, you had better prepare 2 tablespoons of cornmeal, 2 tablespoons of yogurt as well as 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. You can use lime juice instead of lemon juice. After preparing well, you mix all the ingredients well together. Next, you apply this paste on your skin as well as massage it for a few minutes. Then, you leave it on for about 10 minutes. Finally, you use cold water to wash it off.
That’s all about top 10 benefits of cornmeal for health, hair and skin. Personally, we all hope that this article will help you to broaden your knowledge. Besides that, we hope that you can find the most suitable benefit for your case and you can find the best way to use cornmeal. However, this article is only for the informative aim, you ought to ask for the advice from the doctor before following the beauty recipes. If you want to know more useful information, you had better spend a little time visiting our main page Health. You can also leave us a comment or a message. We will response it as soon as we can.