Epsom salt contains numerous beauty uses as well as many health benefits. It’s made up of a chemical compound called magnesium sulfate.
Magnesium, a component of human cells, is very necessary for the body to manage more than 325 enzymes. In addition, it plays a crucial role in many functions of the body. Magnesium deficiency has been associated with many health problems such as high blood pressure, migraines, and osteoporosis.
Besides, sulfate plays a vital role in forming your brain tissues and improves the absorption of nutrients of your body. It also helps a lot in the process of detoxification.
Because magnesium sulfate may be easily absorbed through your skin, taking an Epsom salt bath regularly is an ideal and simple way to get the benefits of Epsom salt for health and beauty. Epsom salt also may be taken internally or used topically.
In this article, Vkool.com will present to you top 10 health benefits of Epsom salt. This article listed the best advantages of Epsom salt from reliable sources. However, it is only for the informational target and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to understand more!
Top 10 Health Benefits Of Epsom Salt You should Know
1. Aid Detoxification
Epsom salt may assist you in removing toxins from your body. The magnesium present in Epsom salt is very necessary for detoxifying cells. Plus, it can also help to eliminate the environmental contaminants that may potentially cause certain diseases from your body.
To take a relaxing detox bath, you add Epson salt (1 or 2 cups) to a bathtub filled with tepid water. Then, you stir them well so that this salt can be dissolved in it completely. Finally, you soak yourself in this tub for about 10 to 20 minutes. You should repeat this method for two or three times per week.
2. Ease Stress
Epsom salt may help you to calm down immediately whenever you are feeling stressed. In fact, stress can increase adrenaline levels and drain your body of magnesium.
Magnesium plays a vital role in the uptake and release of serotonin, one of the mood-elevating chemicals in your brain. This will not only create a feeling of relaxation and well-being but also reduce anxiety, insomnia, abnormal heart rhythms, and irritability.
To ease stress, you can follow the directions below:
- Firstly, you add Epsom salt (1 cup) to a bathtub filled with tepid water.
- Then, you soak in it for about 20 minutes so that you can feel more relaxed as well as sleep better.
- You should bathe with Epsom salt for about 3 times per week to have a stress-free life.
See more: The program of Conquer stress forever
3. Ease Aches And Pains
Epsom salt may help to alleviate symptoms such as pain, inflammation, and swelling. Magnesium will aid in regulating the pH levels in your body.
This will reduce stiffness, pain, and inflammation related to any form of arthritis, which includes gout. It can also help in bone mineralization. In addition, Epsom salt may promote nerve functionality and soothe nerve pain.
Follow these directions if you want to ease aches and pain:
- Firstly, you add Epsom salt (2 tablespoons) to hot water.
- Now, you soak the aching parts of your body in it for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- You should do this up to three times per week.
4. Relieve Muscle Cramps
Helping to treat muscle cramps as well as reduce sore muscles after workouts is one of other health benefits of Epsom salt that I want to show to you in this article! Magnesium can ease pain and reduce inflammation effectively. This will promote the relaxation of your muscles and reduce the healing time.
- Firstly, you add Epsom salt to hot water and stir them well to get a thick paste. Then, you apply the thick paste to the affected areas for about 15 to 25 minutes. You should do this method regularly to gain soothing comfort.
- Another way, you add Epsom salt (1 cup) to your bathtub filled with tepid water and then soak your body in this tub for at least 15 minutes. You can do this way for three times per week.
Your muscle cramps likely heal after a bath or application.
5. Alleviate Foot Problems
Epsom salt may be used to cure athlete’s foot, dry foot, foot odor, pain or some other foot problems. In addition, its exfoliating properties can help to soften callused and rough skin on the feet.
- To remove foot odor or reduce symptoms of Athlete’s foot, you add Epsom salt (1/2 cup) to a tub filled with tepid water. Then, you soak your feet in this tub for about 10 minutes. You should do it for once per day until this problem is gone away.
- To cure toenail fungus, you add Epsom salt (1 handful) to hot water and then soak your affected toes in it. You should do this for about 3 times per day until you remove this problem.
Read more: Natural home treatments for athlete’s foot
6. Improve Digestion
Epsom salt can assist you in the removal of waste products and harmful toxins from your digestive system and your body. It also acts as a laxative that can soften stools and make them easier to pass. Plus, it can also be used to cure constipation.
- Firstly, you add Epsom salt (one or two teaspoons) to one cup of warm water. Then, you stir them well and drink it when your stomach is empty. You should have it for once per day. When taken internally, this salt may cause some side effects such as gastrointestinal irritation, nausea & vomiting, and diarrhea. You should consult your doctor before having Epsom salt. You also do not take this salt longer than one week.
- Plus, soaking in the bathtub containing Epsom salt help to reduce water retention as well as tummy bloating.
Learn more: Best vitamins for digestive issues
7. Improve Heart Health
Improving heart health is another benefit in the list of top 10 health benefits of Epsom salt. The magnesium can help to maintain healthy arteries and normal heart rhythms. When your arteries are healthy, there’s less risk of plaque buildup, blood clots, and damage to your arterial walls.
In addition, Epsom salt can also improve blood circulation, which will reduce the risk of strokes and heart diseases.
You should take a bath with Epsom salt for about three times per week to improve the cardiovascular health as well as reduce the high risk of getting heart attack.
8. Add Volume To Hair
In fact, Epsom salt is very healthy for your hair. This salt can add volume to your hair, eliminate excess oil from the scalp, and keep the scalp healthy. Moreover, it may also remove the accumulation of hair products on your scalp that can cause some problems such as thinning hair, oily hair, and hair loss. Furthermore, the minerals in this salt help to strengthen and repair damaged hair.
- To have a hair mask for a thick hair, you blend equal parts of Epsom salt and a warm deep conditioner. Then, you apply this mask on your wet hair. Now, you leave it on for 20 to 25 minutes. Finally, you rinse your hair with cold water thoroughly. You should use this hair mask for once per week only.
- If you own an oily hair, you add Epsom salt to your regular shampoo and rinse your hair as usual. You have to do it for 2 times per week only.
9. Treat Sunburn
Treating sunburned skin is one of the famous benefits of Epsom salt. Its anti-inflammatory effects reduce mild sunburn irritation such as pain and itchiness. It may even help to keep an even skin tone.
- If you want to treat sunburned legs and hands, you mix Epsom salt (2 tablespoons) in one cup of clean water. Then, you add it to a spray bottle. Now, you spray it on your affected areas. After that, you keep it on there for about 10 minutes. Finally, you take a bath. You have to do this way for several times per week to see the improvement.
- Another option, you fill a bathtub with tepid water and then add Epsom salt (1 cup) to it and stir them thoroughly. Now, you add some drops of lavender oil to it. Finally, you soak yourself in this water for about 20 minutes.
10. Exfoliate Skin
To get a smooth and healthy skin, it is very necessary to exfoliate it properly for once or twice per week. This will help to get rid of your dead skin cells as well as eliminate oil from your skin pores that may cause itchiness, blackheads, pimples, and other common skin issues.
- You can rub Epsom salt (a handful) on your damp skin to eliminate your dead skin cells and then wash it off with tepid water.
- Another option, you mix Epsom salt (a handful) with olive oil (1 tablespoon) and then rub it all over the wet skin to exfoliate it. Finally, you rinse it thoroughly with clean water.
You should use either of these methods on the weekly basis in order to make the skin healthy, soft, and smooth.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women and people who suffer from diabetes or kidney problems have to avoid using Epsom salt. Also, it is not recommended for kids under 6 years old.
If you want to know more about benefits of other ingredients, please go to our main Health Nutrition page. After reading the article of top 10 health benefits of Epsom salt, hope that it can help you find out the best benefits of Epsom salt. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice. If you have any question, please leave the comments below, I will respond you as soon as possible. And if you know other health benefits of Epsom salt, please leave them below.