Hing, also known as Asafetida, is a latex gum which is extracted from many species of a perennial herb, Ferula. It is available in your market as smaller pieces or a solid brick as well as in tablet or powder form.
This spice is popularly used in Indian and Persian cooking for food preservation, fragrance, and flavoring. Thanks to its strong odor, hing is also considered as Devil’s dung. According to a nutritional perspective, hing provides protein, carbohydrates, calcium, fiber, phosphorous, niacin, carotene, riboflavin, and iron.
Apart from its culinary uses, hing has a prominent position in traditional medicine. It brings several health benefits thanks to the carminative, antiviral, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anticoagulant, expectorant, sedative, diuretic, vermifuge, antispasmodic, emmenagogue, anti-carcinogenic, and aphrodisiac properties. Today, in this article, VKool.com will present to you top 10 health benefits of hing. This article listed the best advantages of consuming this herb from reliable sources. However, it is only for the informational target and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to understand more!
Top 10 Health Benefits Of Hing You Should Know
1. Cure Respiratory Disorders
Hing contains antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antibiotic properties, which is beneficial in treating respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, whooping cough, dry cough, and colds. Besides, it works as a respiratory stimulant and thereby relieving chest congestion as well as releasing phlegm.
- To prepare a paste made from hing, you firstly grind asafetida with a little water until they form a paste.
- Then you apply this paste directly to your chest to get a relief from a cough.
- Plus, you may also mix ½ teaspoon of hing powder well with ½ teaspoon of dried ginger powder and 2 tablespoons of honey.
- You consume this mixture at least 3 times per day to remove a dry cough, bronchitis, whooping cough, and asthma.
2. Soothe Headaches
Hing (Asafoetida) can surely treat your problem if you suffer from a headache because of a migraine or a common cold. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, hing may help you to ease inflammation of your blood vessels, which in turn can reduce headaches.
- You firstly heat a dash of hing in 1½ cup of water.
- After this mixture boils, you let it simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- You drink this a few times per day to get a relief from mild tension headache.
- At first, you take 1 teaspoon each of hing, 1 teaspoon of dried ginger, 1 teaspoon of camphor, 2 teaspoons of tailed pepper and put them in a bowl.
- Then you pour enough rose water or milk into this bowl and mix well to make a paste.
- Now, you rub this paste directly on your forehead to cure a migraine and tension headaches.
Learn more: 31 natural home remedies for treating headaches
3. Ease Earaches
Another benefit in the list of top 10 health benefits of hing is to reduce earaches. The antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties contained in it can assist in relieving earache, which is caused by an infection.
- First of all, you put a little coconut oil in a small pan and then heat it.
- Next, you add a small piece of hing in this pan and let it melt.
- You use this solution to wash your eyes and repeat as you need.
If you want to know more health benefits of hing, let stay with us for our next post!
4. Prevent Cancer
Because of being a powerful antioxidant, hing can be beneficial in protecting your body from being damaged by free radicals. Studies proved that its anti-carcinogenic property has the ability to inhibit the growth of malignant cells and thereby preventing cancer.Hing contains several compounds which have the potential to cure or prevent cancer. Click To Tweet In that, two compounds which are most widely researched are ferulic and umbrelliprenin acid. Both of these compounds will prevent new cancer cells from developing.
Learn more: Top 11 foods causing cancer you should
5. Heal Insect Stings And Bites
Hing is also very helpful for treating insect stings and bites from wasps and bees. It can relieve inflammation and pain as well as help in reducing the toxic effects. In addition, hing is an ingredient in insect repellent products in order to ward off gnats, mosquitoes, and other insects thanks to its pungent smell.
- First of all, you mix hing powder well with water until they form a paste.
- Then you apply this paste directly to the affected area.
- You allow it to dry naturally and then wash it off with clean water.
- Keep repeating this remedy as you need.
6. Treat Impotence
Treating impotence is also one of the effective benefits of hing. For many years, hing has been used to cure impotency and erectile dysfunction in men.
- You firstly heat a little clarified butter and then put ¼ teaspoon of hing in this butter.
- You fry it well and then take it out of the heat.
- Next, you put the fresh latex of banyan tree (½ teaspoon), a little honey and continue to mix well.
- Now, you consume this mixture once per day in the early morning during 40 days to get an improvement in your condition.
7. Treat Colic Pain
Hing may soothe the mucous membranes lining your gastrointestinal tract and thereby reducing the signs of colic pain in infant.
Before using hing for treating colic pain, you have to make sure that the baby is suffering from gas as well as is not having any other problem. If the tummy of your baby is bloated and tight, it is likely gas.
- You simply make a thin paste by mixing hing with warm water.
- Then you apply this paste around your navel area (remember not to put it in the navel).
- Keep repeating this way as needed.
Note: It is not advised to give hing internally for toddlers and infants.
8. Alleviate Toothaches
Thanks to its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antibacterial properties, hing can help in alleviating tooth pain and fighting infection. Plus, it can also help you to remove dental caries and bleeding gums.
- You just put a small piece of hing on your aching tooth to quickly relieve a toothache.
- Or you may also make a homemade mouth rinse with hing. You boil a little hing mixed with a few cloves and a cup of water. Let use this solution as a mouth rinse when it still warms.
- Another option is that you heat ½ teaspoon of hing in 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Then you soak a cotton cloth in it and apply it directly to your affected tooth.
- Keep following one of these remedies several times a day till you get relief from this condition.
9. Relieve Menstrual Issues
Hing is really a boon for women because it helps in getting rid of menstrual pain, heavy blood flow, and irregular menstruation during menstruation. In fact, hing may boost progesterone secretion and promote smooth blood flow, and thereby giving you a relief from these popular female issues.
- You simply mix a pinch of hing, ½ teaspoon of fenugreek powder, and ½ teaspoon of salt for taste in 1 cup of buttermilk.
- Then you drink this 2 or 3 times every day for a month to ease pain and discomfort during menstrual periods.
Learn more: The book of Fibroids miracle
10. Treat Stomach Problems
The last benefit in the list of top 10 health benefits of hing is to treat the problems related to stomach. It contains antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, antiflatulent, and antioxidant properties which assist in alleviating problems such as indigestion, intestinal gas, intestinal worms, upset stomach, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and flatulence. It is also considered as a useful ingredient for treating food poisoning.
- You just consume a little bit of hing daily by adding it to food and curries.
- Or you can dissolve some small pieces of hing in ½ cup of water and then drink this daily after having your meal.
People suffering from high blood pressure medications, blood clotting problems or women during pregnancy should avoid consuming hing.
Recommended articles: 22 great benefits of neem for your hair, skin and health
If you want to know more about benefits of other ingredients, please go to our main Health Nutrition page. After reading the article of top 10 health benefits of hing, hope that it can help you find out the best benefits of consuming hing. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice. If you have any question, please leave the comments below, I will respond you as soon as possible. And if you know other health benefits of hing, please leave them below.