Oregano, which is also considered as the “pizza herb”, is popular as a natural remedy for several common health diseases. Both dried and fresh oregano leaves contain volatile oils with stomachic, diuretic, carminative, diaphoretic, expectorant, antioxidant, antimicrobial, antibacterial, and mild tonic properties.
This herb also has a rich source of vitamins such as vitamins E, C, and A complex and a high source of minerals such as zinc, magnesium, calcium, potassium, copper, iron, niacin, and manganese. Today, in this article, VKool.com will present to you top 10 health benefits of oregano. This article listed the best advantages of consuming this herb from reliable sources. However, it is only for the informational target and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to understand more!
Top 10 Health Benefits Of Oregano You should Know
1. Break Up Nasal Congestion
The first benefit in the list of top 10 health benefits of oregano is to break up nasal congestion. Oregano is a great natural treatment for treating nasal congestion because it acts as a reliable and safe antihistamine.
- In order to clear nasal passages and blocked throat, you firstly mix 2 to 4 drops of oregano oil well with ½ cup of boiling water.
- Next, you use a towel to cover your head and then inhale the steam coming off the mixture.
- Keep doing this process twice per day.
- Or you may add 3 drops of oregano oil into 1 glass of juice and consume it on a daily basis for 3 to 5 days.
2. Relieve Menstrual Cramps
Here is an effective benefit of oregano that all women should remember. This herb is also considered as a pain reliever when women suffer from menstrual cramps.
- To apply it, you simply chew a few leaves of fresh oregano for 3 times per day to ease menstrual pain.
- Or you may make a tea from oregano to drink for getting relief in a few minutes. To make the oregano tea, you mix ½ teaspoon of oregano with a cup of clean water and boil this mixture.
- After it boils, you strain it and put a little sugar to make this tea sweeter.
- You drink this oregano tea for 3 or 4 times daily during your cycle.
- Additionally, you may use the raw oregano oil to regulate the menstrual cycle, ease the negative effects of menopause as well as prevent premature menopause.
Warning: Avoid using this oregano oil for women who are during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
3. Improve Heart Health
This herb has a high source of potassium which is a vital component of body fluids and cell. The potassium content in this herb will help in controlling blood pressure and rapid heart rate which are caused by the high intake of sodium.
Besides, oregano contains disease-fighting antioxidants that are believed to have the ability to prevent and fix oxidative stress as well as heart disease.
In addition, oregano contains natural omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids can assist in reducing inflammation throughout your body and lowering the risk of heart attack.
Therefore, let drink a cup of oregano tea every day to boost your heart health.
4. Stimulate Appetite
Many studies have proved that oregano can be beneficial in relaxing stomach tension. This, in turn, will stimulate appetite.
Hence, you just dilute some drops of oregano oil with water and use it like a hot steam remedy or you rub it directly into your skin to promote the increase of appetite.
5. Protect Against Cancer
Another benefit in the list of top 10 health benefits of oregano is to protect against cancer. In fact, this herb contains a rich source of fiber which is beneficial in binding bile salts and toxins causing cancer in your colon as well as removing them from your body. This, in turn, will force your body to break down cholesterol in order to make more bile salts and thereby lowering the level of high cholesterol as well as reducing the risk of colon cancer.
Moreover, oregano has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help to slow down or prevent the progression of prostate cancer and breast cancer.
Next time, if you are enjoying the aromatic oregano, let think about the health benefits of it. And you should also remember to sprinkle the powder of oregano on the salad, soup, or morning smoothie.
6. Maintain Your Body Weight
Oregano has no cholesterol and contains a high source of dietary fiber. If you consume adequate fiber, it will aid in managing your weight and thereby keeping your body fit as well as removing the risk of many diseases.
Plus, oregano oil contains an active component called carvacrol which has the ability to dissolve fat into droplets. If you are overweight, it may cause fat sludge in your liver, lymph system, elsewhere, and gallbladder in your body. Oregano also helps in dissolving this buildup and thereby supporting in losing weight.
See more: The book of 3 week diet
7. Ease Asthma Attacks
Oregano is very high in carvacrol, terpenes, and flavonoids. All these compounds work as ‘”lung-cleansing elements”. Hence, they will aid in clearing the bronchial tubes and respiratory tract to give you a relief from being attacked by asthma.
- Remember whenever you suffer from an asthma attack, let drink the oregano tea which is sweetened with honey for 4 to 5 times a day.
- Or you may extract the juice from some fresh oregano leaves and consume a tablespoon of this oregano juice every hour to relieve chronic coughs and asthma.
8. Kill Intestinal Parasites
We have to kill intestinal parasites because they are not good for your gastrointestinal system. They can seriously stimulate the risk for several diseases. In order to kill these harmful parasites, using dried oregano is one of the best natural options as it is extremely antiparasitic and volatile.
Besides, oregano oil has 2 powerful antimicrobial agents including carvacrol and thymol. These powerful agents have proved to be very effective in curing intestinal parasites.
- To remove intestinal parasites, you firstly mix 2 or 3 drops of oregano oil well with water and a little freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- You mix them together and drink it for 3 times a day.
9. Treat Flu Virus
Oregano contains antiviral property which will reduce the symptoms of flu more quickly. People suffering from flu have some common telltale symptoms such as high fever, sore throat, headache, vomiting, cough, loss of appetite or pains and aches in the muscles and joints.
- To cure these symptoms, you simply mix some drops of oregano oil with 1 glass of water.
- Then you drink it once per day for 3 to 5 days.
10. Treat A Common Cold
The last benefit in this list of top 10 health benefits of oregano is to cure common cold. Thanks to the powerful antiseptic and antioxidant properties in it, oregano will make it become an excellent remedy for common cold.
- Now, whenever you catch a cold or suffer from a sore throat, you just take 3 drops of oregano oil and 1 glass of orange juice.
- Then you mix them well and drink this mixture for once a day for up to 5 days till your symptoms disappear.
- Or you may also drink the oregano tea for 2 or 3 times per day for symptom relief.
If you want to know more about benefits of other ingredients, please go to our main Health Nutrition page. After reading the article of top 10 health benefits of oregano, hope that it can help you find out the best benefits of consuming oregano. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice. If you have any question, please leave the comments below, I will respond you as soon as possible. And if you know other health benefits of oregano, please leave them below.