When you think about essential oils, probably you imagine a space with relaxing music, soft candles, a divine fragrance or a soothing bath. People widely use essential oils as the aromatherapy agents to aid your body and mind in relaxing and keeping calm.
However, these essential oils can also help you to cure several physical conditions, including swollen ankles and feet. They are popular problems that you can use essential oils to treat. In fact, the swelling indicates that you have a fluid retention in your ankles or feet and it often makes you feel extremely painful.
Swelling is as a result of many reasons such as sitting with a leg hung which inhibits the flow of blood to your feet or walking long distances and people often do not concern about its appearance.
This condition may also occur in women during pregnancy. In many cases, a foot injury can lead to swelling in your ankle or foot. Essential oils can be very beneficial in soothing swollen ankles and then help them back to the normal state.
However, in several cases, swollen feet may signal infection or illnesses such as rheumatoid arthritis, liver failure, varicose veins, and hypertension.
Women during pregnancy experiencing excessive swelling within the later months and gone with other symptoms such as nausea, abdominal pain, and headaches should also concern about this.
Moreover, there are some certain essential oils recommended not to use during pregnancy in any form. Hence, you should consult your doctor's advice before using any of them.
Finally, do not forget that although essential oils have the positive effect on reducing swelling and alleviating pain, applying them is a permanent solution. If the swelling condition still persists after applying essential oil therapy, you should immediately see a doctor to have medical attention because it may be an early sign of a serious underlying problem. Today, VKool will provide you with a valuable source of information about top 5 ways to use essential oils for swollen ankles and feet without any side effect. This writing shows you how essential oils can help to treat swollen ankles and feet and lists the best effective ways that use them to get a relief from swollen ankles and feet effectively from reliable sources. However, this is only for the informational purpose. You’d better not apply without the doctor’s instruction. Keep reading this writing to find the one which is right for you!
Top 5 Tips To Use Essential Oils For Swollen Ankles And Feet
I. Foot Baths
1. Wintergreen Essential Oil
Despite not being well-known, wintergreen is still an effectively powerful essential oil for easing swelling and keeping sore ankles be relaxed. It is a great pain reliever and is widely used to cure numerous conditions such as muscle pain, headaches as well as ankle and foot pain.
You can use it combined with some certain other essential oils for swollen ankles (peppermint, cypress, geranium, lavender, and lemongrass) to get the best results.
- You simply fill a medium tub with lukewarm water.
- Next, you put the wintergreen essential oil (2 or 3 drops) to this tub. Because wintergreen is a very strong essential oil, you should use a small quantity of it.
- Then you add 5 to 9 drops of cypress, lavender, lemongrass, geranium or peppermint essential oil to it.
- You stir them well and soak your feet to this for about 10 minutes or until the water becomes cool.
- Keep repeating this process at least twice or thrice per day.
- If you suffer from swollen ankles, you may put stones or pebbles in the tub's bottom and then rub the soles over them to get the extra relaxation. Avoid doing this if you suffer from swollen feet because it can aggravate your pain condition.
- After applying this therapy, you can use a soft towel to pat dry your feet and then use the essential oil mixture above mixed with the carrier oil to massage your affected area for extra relief.
2. Chamomile Essential Oil
In fact, chamomile essential oil has many medicinal benefits. It has the ability to reduce inflammation, soothe your nerves, relieve pain as well as flex aching muscles.
According to a study in 2011, this essential oil also assists in decreasing external swelling.
Chamomile essential oil has different varieties. Remember to use the German chamomile essential oil to soak your feet for reducing swelling.
This kind of chamomile essential oils has a compound named azulene that is most effective in relieving swelling.
- Simply pour lukewarm water to fill a medium tub.
- Then you add the chamomile essential oil (5 to 10 drops) to this water.
- You stir them well and soak your feet in it for 10 minutes.
- Remember to do this again at least 2 to 4 times every day.
If you want to get more information about essential oils for swollen ankles and feet, stay with us for our next post!
II. Mixed Massage Therapy
Although separately applying essential oils is very beneficial, the combination of many essential oils is the best. The properties contained in each of essential oils will complement the others and form a therapeutic mixture having incredible healing abilities.
Avoid the exposure of pure essential oils on the skin. You have to always mix them with the carrier oil because the carrier oil will make them safer when applying on the skin.
Here are some ways to mix essential oils together you can follow to help in relieving swollen ankles and feet.
1. Eucalyptus, Lemon, And Peppermint
This is one of the effective mixtures for people who not only suffer from swelling but also feel pain. 3 kinds of essential oils are terrific pain and anti-inflammatory relievers.
In addition, they contain incredible relaxing properties which will form a soothing mixture.
Peppermint oil has swelling-reducing and pain-relieving properties, which is widely used for treating arthritis.
In addition, lemon belongs to the list of most powerful anti-inflammatory essential oils. Besides, it is also used to cure swelling caused by arthritis.
While eucalyptus essential oil can help a lot in easing inflammation, swelling, and pain in patients experiencing a knee replacement surgery.
- Now, you firstly put 1 ounce of melted coconut oil (about 2 tablespoons) in 1 small jar.
- Then you add the eucalyptus, lemon, peppermint essential oils at an equal ratio (2 or 3 drops) in this jar.
- You use a toothpick to mix all these ingredients well.
- Use this mixture to dab your affected areas and gently massage for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Keep repeating this way for 2 or 3 times per day.
- You can put the lavender essential oil in this mixture to add fragrance as well as relaxation.
- You can use tea tree oil instead of eucalyptus essential oil. It is also another powerful anti-inflammatory agent. Plus, tea tree oil will be particularly beneficial in treating infection thanks to its antifungal and antibacterial properties.
2. Lemongrass, Cypress, And Grapefruit
All 3 essential oils contain anti-inflammatory properties and have the positive effect on the swollen area only after a few minutes.
- You just put 1 ounce of melted coconut oil (about 2 tablespoons) in 1 small jar.
- Next, you add the lemongrass, cypress, and grapefruit essential oils at an equal ratio (2 or 3 drops) in this jar.
- You use a toothpick to mix all these ingredients together.
- Now, you apply this essential oil mixture directly on your affected areas and gently massage for about 10 minutes.
- You should repeat this process 2 or 3 times per day.
- You may use canola or sunflower carrier oil instead of coconut oil.
- Remember to put your feet up because swollen ankles and feet are most often caused by poor blood flow.
III. Individual Application
If you cannot prepare a foot bath or feel much painful and need a quick relief, you may use individual essential oils for swollen ankles to relieve pain on your affected areas.
Remember to mix pure essential oils together with the carrier oil such as calendula oil, sunflower oil, fractionated coconut oil or another vegetable oil because it is not safe to directly apply them.
You may use common pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory essential oils such as grapefruit, tea tree, juniper, peppermint, eucalyptus, chamomile, rosemary or thyme essential oil.
- You simply add 10 to 12 drops of one of these essential oils above to carrier oil (2 tablespoons).
- Mix them well and use the mixture to gently massage your affected area for a few minutes.
- You should repeat this way at least twice or thrice daily.
- After use essential oils for swollen ankles to massage your ankles and feet, you should apply a hot compress in the swollen areas to improve circulation as well as reduce swelling.
- You may also apply a cold compress on there to relieve extreme pain.
Recommended article: 6 Essential Oils For Weight Loss & How To Use Them Effectively
To get more information about various health conditions, go to visit our main Health page. After reading the writing of 5 ways to use essential oils for swollen ankles and feet, hope that you can learn more some simple and easy ways to use essential oils to relieve swollen feet. All these remedies are effective and safe for treating this condition. But you do not forget to try these ways only after you carry out a small test, check your reaction. If you have any question, please freely ask them below, I will answer you soon. Also, if you know other ways to use essential oils for swollen ankles and feet, please share them with us.