Flu is one viral infection which commonly attacks the respiratory system, particularly upper respiratory tract that mostly covers nose, lungs and throat. This is one contagious disease why because this flu virus may travel freely through the air in droplets by few infected person either through sneezes or coughs or talks. A dry cough, fever, chills, runny nose nasal congestion, headache, sore throat, cold, general weakness as well as sneezing are several of the symptoms of flu. There are many natural home remedies that help so much in treating the flu or influenza. Ginger is one such best and effective remedy used for treating flu (both respiratory flu and stomach flu) naturally without any side effects plus gives long lasting results. Here are 12 easy and simple ways to use ginger for flu that are collected by Vkool.com from reliable sources. So try the ginger methods for a safe and quick relief from flu and cold.
Ginger For Flu: 12 Easy And Simple Ways You Should Follow
The ginger methods help you so much in clearing flu, cold and other respiratory problems. Click To Tweet Here is the recipe that explains you on how to use ginger for flu:
- Take a fresh and small piece of ginger and next wash it off properly.
- Place it in the mouth and now start chewing it slowly.
- You’ll get the ginger juice and then swallow them.
- This ginger juice will assist to get rid of flu.
- Alternatively, you can also have ginger in many other forms such as ginger candies, snaps, tinctures, lozenges, cookies, etc. as one part of your regular routine.
- Another option is to include the ginger (fresh or dry or powdered forms) in the daily diet like in salads or in cooking gravies or in several special recipes, etc.
- Regular intake of ginger will assist you in removing the flu and its symptoms.
Learn more: 9 Tips To Treat Colds Naturally For Infants
2. Ginger Juice With Honey
As you know, ginger combats against the infection while honey helps to coat your throat and soothes it to remove infection. Here is the recipe to use ginger for flu:
- 1 teaspoon of ginger juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of honey
- Take one small bowl and next pour honey and ginger juice in it.
- Stir it well until honey is mixed well in that ginger juice.
- Consume the mixture to remove flu or cold or influenza.
- Or you may chew fresh ginger pieces which were combined in honey and then swallow the mix.
- Continue taking the ginger – honey mixture frequently to prevent flu as well as its symptoms completely.
3. Ginger Steam
Here are step by step directions to use ginger for flu:
- Ginger root
- Boiling water
- Large bowl
- Take ginger root and next cut it into some small pieces after complete washing.
- Later pour boiling water in one large bowl and now add ginger pieces in this.
- Take one towel and then drape it over the head so that you may cover the bowl plus head with that towel.
- But ensure that there should be about 3 – 5 inches gap between your face and bowl.
- Inhale this steam that comes out from the ginger water.
- Inhale the ginger steam as much as you can with some intervals to remove flu.
- This method has to be followed frequently to get cure from a sore throat, runny nose and fever that were caused thanks to influenza or cold.
Learn more: 31 Natural Solutions For Sore Throat
4. Ginger Brandy For Flu And Cold
General speaking, ginger brandy is one of the greatest remedies for cold as well as flu remedy. Here are easy steps to use ginger for flu:
- 1 oz of fresh ginger root
- 1 qt pure diluted brandy or alcohol
- 2 canning jars with lids
- Firstly, take the freshly washed ginger root and next cut it into pieces.
- Macerate these ginger pieces with a mallet, thus the ginger flavor and the juice will be released.
- Later, drop the ginger pieces into the canning jar.
- Now, pour the brandy or alcohol in this jar until the top of the jar along with fit the lid tightly.
- Shake it off and then store this jar in one cool and dark area.
- But ensure to shake this jar for at least two times a day on a regular basis for about four weeks in order to active the infusion process.
- Afterwards, take another empty canning jar and now strain this brandy into it.
- Repeat this straining process until the brandy is not totally cleared of ginger pieces.
- Discard these ginger pieces and afterwards pour this ginger brandy into the decanter to serve it.
- Now have this ginger brandy to remove cold and flu.
5. Ginger With Carrot And Apples Soup
Here are detailed guides to using ginger for flu:
- 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger (Grated)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup of onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 apple (peeled and chopped)
- 5 pounds or five cups of carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Nutmeg – pinch
- Large pot
- Take one large pot and next pour the extra virgin olive oil in this.
- Place the pan on the stove over the low – medium heat and next add chopped onion in this.
- Let it cook for some minutes until it becomes translucent.
- Then, add garlic and ginger in it and now cook it for another some minutes.
- Now, add chopped carrots, apples in this and cook it.
- Add vegetable broth and then stir it well.
- Leave it to boil and after that lower heat to lower medium and now simmer it for around 20 minutes.
- Carefully transfer 1/2 of soup into the blender and add nutmeg (a pinch) in it.
- Blend it till it makes one smooth mixture and then blend the remaining to create smooth paste.
- Again put this soup in your pot and add salt and pepper to taste and eat this soup by adding a little broth to thin this soup (as per your wish).
- It would be tastier if you take it with fresh bread.
- Daily intake of this soup will assist you to get cure from the flu.
6. Ginger With Lemon And Honey
Not surprisingly, this combinational process is effective in treating flu. Ginger contains anti – inflammatory, anti-viral, helps in proper digestion and useful for treating respiratory virus. Lemon in this process contains antiseptic property, has lots nutrients like vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, bioflavonoids in it that aid to get complete relief from it. Honey contains anti – bacterial, anti-oxidant, anti – inflammatory, anti – viral properties and anti – tumor that assist to heal the cold and flu along with its symptoms. To use ginger for flu, you should do as follows:
- Fresh ginger
- Raw honey
- Fresh lemon
- 1 glass of hot water
- Take one fresh lemon and next slice this into quarters and then pack this into a jar.
- After that, take ginger and grate this properly and add it to lemon.
- Stir it thoroughly by adding honey until filling the jar.
- Let it stay for some minutes without disturbing it.
- Now, take one tablespoon to one glass of hot water.
- Stir it well and consume this to clear flu and cold.
- Continue taking this drink every day till you get complete cure from the flu.
7. Ginger With Lemon And Turmeric
- 3 fresh ginger slices
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder or 1slice of fresh turmeric root
- 1/2 piece of lemon
- 1 1/2 cup of hot water
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Start the process by taking one mug and place turmeric and ginger slices in it.
- Later add hot water over this and leave it to steep for about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Afterward, squeeze lemon juice freshly in this and now add organic honey in this mug.
- Stir it well and consume this ginger and turmeric golden tonic to remove the flu.
- Daily consumption of the flu tonic will certainly help you to remove the cold and flu.
Learn more: Advantages Of Turmeric
8. Ginger With Honey, Lemon And Whiskey Tonic
Here is the recipe that explains you on how to use ginger for flu:
- Fresh ginger root – one-inch piece
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 piece of lemon
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 1 ounce-whiskey (optional)
- Small pot
- Start this process by taking one small pot and put it over medium heat.
- Take fresh ginger and next wash it off properly.
- Peel it plus chop it roughly and then pour these ginger pieces in the pot.
- Then add the honey and freshly taken lemon juice in it and now stir it well.
- Turn off the heat and then strain this mixture into one jar.
- Lastly, add shot of whiskey and then stir it gently.
- Consume this flu tonic to inhibit flu together with its symptoms quickly.
- Daily consumption of the ginger flu tonic will certainly help you to ease the flu as well as seasonal respiratory problems.
9. Ginger Steam Therapy
This is also another steaming process giving a quick relief from cold, nasal congestion and flu.
- 2 teaspoons of freshly chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons of eucalyptus oil
- 1/2 liter of water
- First of all, take water in one saucepan and next place it in stove.
- Bring this to a boil and then add freshly chopped ginger in this.
- Turn off the heat and now pour eucalyptus oil in this.
- Then, take one towel and pour the boiling water in one large pot.
- Drape the towel over the head so that you must bend down near to that pot.
- Inhale the steam which comes out from the boiling water.
- Inhale them as much as you can to get relief from the cold, flu, nasal congestion and other respiratory problems.
- Have the ginger steam therapy to get cure from the respiratory problems.
10. Grated Ginger With Cayenne And Turmeric Powder
How to use ginger for flu? Here are detailed instructions to use it:
- 1/4 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder or grated turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of Manuka honey
- Take a pan and next pour water in this and put it on heat.
- Then, add all the ingredients in this and stir it well.
- Simmer it for around 10 – 12 minutes and then strain it.
- Now, it is time to breathe in this elixir to get cure from cold and flu.
- Continue doing this same process frequently for quick and effective cure from flu together with its symptoms.
11. Ginger Tea For Flu
Generally, ginger tea is most and best popular among lots forms of using ginger for curing various health problems including cold and flu. It helps in enhancing blood circulation and thereby boosts up your immune system. Here are a few tea recipes which make you get instant relief from the flu as well as other respiratory problems. The tea ideas not only used to cure respiratory flu but also assist to clear gastro-enteritis or stomach flu. Here are several methods to use ginger for flu:
Method 1: Using Fresh Ginger Root)
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1 ½ cup of water
- Lemon juice or honey (optional)
- Start this process, by taking one saucepan and next pour water in it.
- Place it on your stove over medium heat.
- Later take ginger piece and now cut it into slices after complete washing it off.
- Now, add the ginger slices into this boiling water.
- Stir it well and then turn off the heat.
- Leave it to steep for around 5 – 10 minutes.
- Strain this tea by using sieve or strainer.
- Consume this tea by adding lemon juice or honey, as per your favorite in it.
- Daily consumption of the ginger tea will certainly help you to remove flu and its symptoms very effectively and quickly.
Method 2: (Ginger – Lemon Tea)
Commonly, ginger tea is a good home remedy that combats against cold, nausea, flu indigestion, sore throat as well as other respiratory troubles very effectively.
- 1/4 cup of fresh ginger root (grated)
- 4 cups of water
- 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Rum (optional)
- Strainer or sieve
- Tea pan or saucepan
- Take a saucepan and next pour water in it.
- Take ginger and next slice it finely and then add the ginger slices to water.
- Place it on the stove over heat and leave it to get boiled.
- Later turn off the heat and now cover the pan properly.
- Leave it to steep for around 10 minutes and take hot ginger infusion (a cup) into a big mug.
- In that, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and then add honey in it.
- Now re-heat the pot mildly whenever you desire to make another cup of the ginger – lemon tea.
- Finish the process by adding the fresh lemon juice (from the remaining lemons) in it.
- Consume the ginger – lemon tea to remove flu, cold along with other respiratory problems.
- The regular intake of the ginger – lemon tea for four times per day will not only assists to heal the problem of respiratory flu but also eases the stomach flu.
Method 3: (Using Ground Ginger)
Simply, you can make this ginger tea with ground ginger at any time, particularly if you do not have fresh form of the ginger root with you.
- 3/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 2 to 3 tea bags
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Small saucepan
- Firstly, take saucepan and next pour water in it.
- Put it on your stove over medium heat.
- Leave it to boil for some minutes and later add honey and ground ginger in it.
- Stir it well and lower the heat to simmer.
- Cover the pan and then boil this in simmer for another ten minutes.
- Afterward, turn off the heat and now remove the saucepan.
- Now, dip these tea bags in the hot liquid and then again cover the saucepan.
- Allow it to steep for around 5 – 7 minutes and later discard these tea bags out.
- Lastly, have the ginger tea by combining milk in it.
- Drink this ginger tea to get complete cure from the flu as well as its symptoms.
Method 4: (Ginger With Cinnamon Tea)
What you need:
- 1/2 cup of fresh ginger (thinly sliced)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of honey or brown sugar
- Lemon wedges
- Firstly, take saucepan and pour ginger, cinnamon and water in it.
- Put it on the stove over medium heat for around more than 20 minutes.
- After that, add sugar or honey on it and now stir it well.
- Strain the tea using a sieve and consume this tea to remove cold and flu.
- Daily intake of this ginger – cinnamon tea will assist you to get complete cure from the respirator along with intestinal flu.
Although ginger tea is very beneficial in treating various health problems including flu but we all know that using too much of anything (consisting of ginger tea) isn’t good for health. Generally, intake of ginger in excess or ginger tea can result in many problems like mouth irritation, heartburn, stomach disorders, internal bleeding, etc. Also it’s unsafe for nursing or pregnant women. Hence one healthy person can consume about 1 – 2 cups of the ginger tea daily.
Learn more: Nasal Polyps Treatment Review
12. Ginger For Stomach Flu
General speaking, flu exists in lots forms like respiratory flu or influenza, stomach flu or gastric flu, etc. Ginger works as an effective remedy for curing indigestion, nausea as well as other problems causing stomach flu. For dealing with this stomach flu, you may use the ginger in the form of powdered, dried and cooked forms. Here are some methods to use ginger for flu:
Method 1 (Ginger Tea For Treating Stomach Flu)
- 1 teaspoon of dried ginger powder
- 1 cup of boiling water
- Take ginger and next add it to boiling water.
- Stir it well and leave it to steep for around 10 – 15 minutes.
- Consume this tea without or with straining.
- Regular intake of the dried ginger tea will assist you to get relief from stomach flu and also helps for the proper digestion without any intestinal troubles.
- Or you can take it in the form of either in raw or cooked form, ginger ale, in tinctures, capsules, etc. to remove stomach flu.
- Alternatively, you can chew a fresh ginger root piece throughout the day in order to get cure from stomach flu.
Method 2: (Ginger Ale For Curing Stomach Flu)
Generally, ginger ale is flat and it helps to settle your stomach to remove stomach flu. Here are detailed guides to using ginger for flu:
- 1 1/2 cups of ginger (peeled and chopped)
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- 1-quart club soda or chilled seltzer
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- Take ginger in one saucepan and next pour water in it.
- Put it on the stove at the low-medium heat and then cover it partially.
- Cook it for around 45 minutes and then remove the heat.
- Leave it to steep for twenty minutes by covering it.
- After that, strain this mixture through a sieve into the bowl by pressing this ginger.
- Discard the ginger pieces and now pour this liquid in the saucepan again.
- Now add a pinch of salt and sugar in this pan and then mix them well.
- Place the pan over medium heat and afterwards mix it until the sugar dissolves totally in it.
- Pour this liquid in one jar and leave it to get cool for some minutes.
- After thorough cooling, you take the ginger syrup and club soda and lemon juice to make ginger ale.
- The proportions for making this ginger ale are mixing ginger syrup (1/4 cup) with lime juice (1 ½ teaspoons) and seltzer (3/4 cup) in a glass.
- Stir it well and consume this ginger ale to get cure from the stomach flu.
- Daily consumption of the ginger ale will assist to clear this stomach flu.
Method 3: (Ginger Ale For Flu)
Basically, this method is another form of preparing ginger ale for curing flu (both stomach flu and respiratory flu).
- 1 tablespoon of ginger root
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 lemon
- 2 liters of water
- Plastic bottles (2L)
- Take one fresh ginger root and next peel it off properly.
- Grate this ginger and next take one lemon and then squeeze it to extract the juice.
- After that, take an empty bottle and now add lemon juice, sugar, grated ginger and yeast in it.
- If you are meeting any difficulty in pouring the lemon juice, sugar into this bottle, then you may use one funnel to pour the ingredients properly into this bottle.
- Stir it well and then place cap of that bottle tightly.
- Shake it and then place this bottle in one warm place and allow it to steep for some hours.
- But ensure to check this for every some hours by squeezing that bottle.
- When you push onto that bottle then it has to easily squeeze or else it has to experience more of fermentation process.
- Place this bottle in the refrigerator for at least entire night, so that it will reduce the fermentation process and thereby keeps the things from exploding.
- Pour this in one glass and consume this ginger ale to remove stomach flu as well as other health problems.
- Daily consumption of the ginger ale will certainly help you a lot in treating both respiratory and stomach flu as well as other health related problems.
Learn more: 7 Tips To Cure Stomach Flu Naturally At Home
Tips And Precautions:
For quick and safe relief from flu problem, you not only simply do the above mentioned cures but also you have to carry out some precautions and tips that are clearly given below.
- Simply, you can apply ginger oil or ginger paste on your aching muscles and then rub it on for some minutes and allow it like that to remove the muscles and body that are one of the flu symptoms.
- Nursing and pregnant women should avoid taking the ginger and also ask your healthcare provider prior to taking the ginger for flu. Or else ginger can cause miscarriage to pregnant females and for nursing females, it would be troubling to both baby and mother.
- If you are taking certain drugs and medications like anti – inflammatory drugs, immune suppressants, beta – blockers, blood thinners, etc. then you have to cautious that not to consume more of the ginger in any form. You should ask your doctor prior to taking this ginger for any health trouble.
- The children who are below eight – ten years also, shouldn’t give the ginger in any form.
- Make sure to consult a healthcare expert, if you’re suffering from heart problems, inflammatory bowel disease, pregnancy, etc. before consuming this ginger to know all about the timings, dosage, etc. to get rid of side effects.
- If you are suffering from certain health troubles like gallbladder problems, diabetes and bowel diseases, then it’s always recommended to avoid taking the ginger for treating flu as well as its symptoms.
- You can use the ginger in the form of dried ginger root, fresh ginger, powdered form, capsules, tinctures, extracts, fresh oils as well as in tea form, in which you may use the ginger in any form to remove both stomach flu and respiratory flu.
- Never consume more than four grams of ginger a day that includes ginger ale and ginger snaps, as over dosage will result in many side effects.
In order to get more information related to health, go our main Conditions & Diseases page. After studying the writing of 12 easy and simple ways on how to use ginger for flu, hope that this article will help you know more useful methods on how to use ginger for flu. All the ginger methods are natural, not difficult to make and also cost effective. The only thing you must follow is to try the remedies frequently without any interruption, and ask doctor if you see any symptoms persist. If you have any question or comment, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Also, you can share your experiences with us if you know other methods on how to use ginger for flu.