Abscess tooth is swollen and infected between the root of tooth and gums. It is very painful and cause toothache. Some reasons can cause abscess tooth are bacteria, dental infection, gum disease, weak immune system, gingivitis, etc. Actually, you can kill pain and reduce tooth infection with some useful solutions. Are you suffering from this disease? In this article, VKool.com will show you top 31 natural home remedies for abscess tooth infection and swelling. This article is for informational purpose, you should go to see the doctor immediately if your problem is too serious.
31 Natural Home Remedies For Abscess Tooth Swelling & Infection
Some typical symptoms of abscess tooth are sensitive teeth, bad breath, swelling, insomnia, fever, difficult to open your mouth. Here are 31 best home remedies for abscess tooth that you can decrease the infection and swelling well. They are:
5. Olive Oil
6. Sesame Seeds
12. Tea Tree Oil
14. Oregano Oil
15. Black Tea Bag
18. Cold Compress
19. Salt Water
20. Salt And Pepper
25. Guava Leaves
27. Ice Cubes
28. Wheatgrass Juice
Baking soda is also one of the common ingredients that are used in a few natural home remedies for abscess tooth. Baking soda contains the pH balancing property, thus, when you use baking soda, it will balance the saliva pH level in your mouth. This makes the bacteria be unable to thrive in your mouth. In addition, baking soda, when used in your mouth, aids in draining abscess naturally thanks because it can act as a mechanical cleanser.
- Baking soda – half a teaspoon
- Salt – half a teaspoon
- A damp cotton ball
- At first, mix baking soda with salt in a bowl.
- Then, dip this damp cotton ball into the bowl and place it on the affected area.
- Now, leave it on for 3 to 5 hours.
- You should repeat this simple way regularly to treat this problem.
- Another option, you can take baking soda and then apply it directly to the abscessed tooth or use 1 teaspoon of baking soda diluted in a cup of clean water to rinse your mouth.
- You can also brush your teeth with baking soda. Or, mix baking soda and water to make a paste and then apply this paste directly to your abscess tooth.
Using a warm compress is one of other natural home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection that you should try. The inflammation causing you to feel painful can be reduced by the warmth in this process. Apart from this, it also helps to remove the pus from your infected tooth.
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- A cotton ball
- Firstly, add the salt to a cup filled with warm water.
- Then, stir them together and soak the cotton ball in this solution.
- Now, remove the excess water from the ball by swing it out.
- After that, place the warm ball against an infected tooth and hold it for a few minutes until it becomes cold.
- Finally, take it out and repeat this process with another warm ball for a few minutes.
- You should repeat this method for 3 to 4 times per day.
Raw potato is very effective in treating abscess tooth by removing infection slowly. It is said that potato is alkaline in nature, which is in charge of its antiseptic properties. In addition to this, the potato is also said to contain acidic properties that help to slough off the dead cells and remove other toxins from your body. Although there is still no scientific backing for the claims using potato for abscess tooth, many people found it soothing after using this method. Therefore, if you want to try using potato, be ready and see its benefits for this problem.
- A raw potato slice
- At first, take a raw potato slice and put it on the affected area.
- Next, leave it on there for overnight or at least 1 hour.
- Finally, you rinse your mouth with clean water.
- When you take the potato slice out of your abscessed tooth, there is the discoloration over it. This is due to the toxins that are pulled out of your infected tooth.
- You should follow this way regularly when needed.
Another of the common home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection is to use chamomile. It is said that the anti-inflammatory properties present in chamomile can treat injured tissues very effectively. Thus, you can drink chamomile tea or make a poultice with this tea to minimize the swelling and pain caused due to your abscessed tooth.
- To treat an abscessed tooth, you should drink 3 to 4 cups of this tea daily.
- If your abscess tooth causes the swelling on your face, make a poultice with chamomile and use it to apply topically over the affected area a few times per day.
- Alternatively, you can soak a chamomile tea bag in warm water and then hold it against the affected tooth for a while.
Do not forget olive oil when it comes to natural home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection. The abscessed tooth can result from the bacteria in your mouth and cause the pain. In fact, eugenol, a chemical called in olive oil helps to kill the bacteria and reduce the pain very effectively and fast
- Firstly, take a little olive oil in a bowl.
- Then, dip a cotton ball into this bowl and apply this ball to the affected area.
- Hold it for a few minutes.
- Repeat this simple way daily when needed.
Sesame seeds are proven to be an effective method in killing bacteria causing an abscessed tooth. In addition, it also gives you relief from the pain instantly after using this way. Give it a try because it is one of the best home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection.
- Sesame seeds – 4 teaspoons
- A saucepan
- A cotton ball
- At first, add sesame seeds to a saucepan.
- Then, pour water into this saucepan and boil them for about 5 minutes.
- After that, take it out of the flame and dip a cotton ball into the water.
- Now, apply it on the top of your tooth and let it on there for about 15 minutes.
- Finally, remove it.
- Repeat the treatment for 2 to 3 times per day to treat the abscessed tooth.
Echinacea can help to fight infections very effectively because it is a great natural antibiotic. In addition, it is also very good in reducing the pain and inflammation that are caused by the infection. You can buy Echinacea in the form of capsules and tinctures available at a few stores or make a tea with Echinacea to treat an abscessed tooth.
- 1 teaspoon of Echinacea herb or 1 tea bag
- 1 cup of warm water
- At first, add the Echinacea herb or tea bag in a cup.
- Then, pour warm water into this cup and let it steep for a few minutes.
- After that, strain the tea or take the tea bag out of the cup.
- Now, use this herbal tea to rinse your mouth by swishing it around the mouth.
- Follow this method for 2 to 3 times per day.
Learn more: 12 Good Natural Home Remedies For Receding Gums
The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties in peppermint help to reduce inflammation and pain caused by an abscessed tooth and prevent the infection from spreading in your mouth.
Besides, peppermint oil also contains antiseptic properties that aid in killing the bacteria to treat your abscessed tooth. Apart from the oil, the peppermint leaves are also great for this problem. Here are 2 home remedies for abscess tooth using peppermint that you should give them a try.
Method 1: Peppermint oil
- 2 to 4 drops of peppermint oil
- A cotton ball (optional)
- Firstly, pour the peppermint oil on the cotton ball or your fingertip and apply this ball or this fingertip to the abscessed tooth.
- After that, hold it for a few minutes before removing it.
- Repeat this method for 3 to 4 times per day.
Method 2: Peppermint leaves
- A few dried peppermint leaves
- Lukewarm water
- Firstly, place a few dried peppermint leaves around the abscessed tooth.
- Then, leave them on there for several minutes.
- After that, spit them out.
- Repeat this process for several times per day.
- Finally, use warm water to rinse your mouth.
In fact, hydrogen peroxide is a natural product of organisms, mostly a respiratory burst as a part of the response of your immune. Now, it is produced by the anthraquinone process used for a lot of different uses consisting of medical usage. It contains disinfectant and antibacterial properties. It is very good in killing the bacteria causing abscess tooth. In addition, it also contains a good antimicrobial agent that can make it one of other home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection.
- At first, add 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and 1 tablespoon of tepid water in a bowl and then mix them together. Now, rinse your mouth with this solution and then spit it out of your mouth completely. Repeat this way for 3 times per week.
- Another option, mix 1/3 tablespoon of baking soda with 1/2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide to create a paste. Then, apply this paste to the affected tooth and wait for a few minutes. Finally, rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat this method for a few times per week.
Oil pulling is one of the ancient home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection or painful gums. This method helps to reduce the significant amount of bacteria in your mouth, causing an abscessed tooth. In addition, it is also a good way to draw toxins from your mouth and the entire body. Therefore, the oral and overall health will be promoted clearly.
You should make oil pulling with coconut oil containing anti-bacterial properties to remove the harmful toxins and bacteria from your abscessed tooth.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 to 2 drops of clove oil (optional)
- Lukewarm water
- Firstly, mix coconut oil and clove oil in a small bowl.
- Then, rinse your mouth with this oil mixture by gently swishing it inside your mouth.
- Now, pull this mixture in the mouth sideways and back and forth.
- Do this process for about 20 minutes before spitting it out.
- Finally, rinse your mouth by gargling with warm water.
- You should do this way daily.
Note: Avoid doing this method when you are having an empty stomach.
Another effective method in the list of top 31 natural home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection is to use apple cider vinegar. The disinfectant and anti-inflammatory properties in this vinegar not only help to disinfect the affected area but also reduce pain and inflammation very effectively.
In addition, apple cider vinegar also consists of various beneficial components such as malic acid and acetic acid. These acids contain excellent antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antimicrobial properties. Hence, they are excellent in healing your tooth infection. Apart from always having 1 to 2 tablespoons of this vinegar mixed in a glass of clean water every day, if you want to treat an abscessed tooth, rinse your mouth with this vinegar to remove bacterial infection.
- Simply, swish 3 teaspoons of raw apple cider vinegar in the mouth for several minutes. Then, spit it out of your mouth completely. Never swallow it. Now, rinse your mouth thoroughly with lukewarm water. Repeat this way for a few times per day.
- Alternatively, add 1 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar to a glass of clean water and stir them together before drinking it. Have it for twice per day.
Tea tree oil contains strong antibacterial and antiseptic properties that make it become more useful in killing bacteria causing an abscessed tooth. In addition, it is also a powerful natural antibiotic, thus, it can definitely help you in fighting off a few serious infections such as abscess tooth.
Follow the instructions below, if you are looking for a method using tea tree oil, listed in the home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection.
- Simply, take a toothbrush and then pour some drops of this oil on it. Next, use this brush to brush your teeth. You should do this way for a few times per day.
- Or, you can add about 8 to 10 drops of this oil to a large cup of lukewarm water and stir them together. Now, swish this solution around your mouth. Repeat this way for 3 to 4 times per day.
- Another option, dilute 3 to 4 drops of this oil in 1 teaspoon of any carrier oil such as coconut oil or olive oil and then apply this mixture to the affected tooth. Follow this method for 2 to 4 times per day.
The antioxidants found in papaya remove the bacteria causing an abscessed tooth and reduce the healing time. Papaya tends to fight against inflammation naturally. In addition, this fruit is a huge repository of essential nutrients that are very effective in fighting off infections and boosting up your immune system.
Being another way of home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection, it will not only assist you in removing the symptoms of abscess tooth but also deal with the infection.
- Firstly, apply a fresh papaya slice to the affected tooth.
- Then, leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Finally, use an antiseptic mouthwash to rinse it off.
- Follow this way regularly when needed.
The antibacterial and antioxidant properties found in oregano oil make it become one of the great home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection. Not only does it boost up your immune system but it also helps to deal with tooth infections and reduce the healing time. Oregano oil, when applied to the abscessed tooth, will make the area numb for a while. This reduces the pain caused by an abscessed tooth. In addition, oregano oil also contains natural antispasmodic and antimicrobial properties. This oil helps drain out the abscess and kills the bacteria in there.
Method 1: Oregano oil
- Simply, take some drops of oregano oil and then apply it to the affected area.
- This will help you to reduce the pain and infection.
- Follow this simple way regularly.
Method 2: Oregano oil and warm water
- Firstly, add 3 to 5 drops of this oil to 1/4 cup of warm water.
- Then, use this solution to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat this process for 2 to 3 times per day or when needed.
Method 3: Oregano oil
- At first, place some drops of this oil under the tongue and keep it for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Next, spit it out of your mouth.
- Try this way regularly when needed.
When it comes to natural home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection, a black tea bag is a good choice. Thanks to its substance, tannins, it is very useful in reducing the pain and inflammation. Moreover, it also has antioxidants that aid in fighting the infection and promoting your oral health.
- Firstly, add a black tea bag to a cup of warm water and let it brew for a few minutes.
- Then, take it out of the water and wring it out completely.
- Now, place this tea bag on your abscessed tooth and leave it on there for overnight or a few hours.
- Finally, use a solution using salt and warm water to rinse your mouth.
- Follow this way for once per day for a few weeks.
Because turmeric contains a component called curcumin and includes antibiotic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, and antiseptic properties, it helps you to reduce the pain and inflammation that are caused due to an abscessed tooth. In addition, it also promotes a good oral health.
- Firstly, mix turmeric powder (1 teaspoon) with a little clean water to create a paste. Then, apply this paste directly on your abscess tooth after brushing your teeth. Now, allow it to be on there for 15 or 20 minutes. Finally, rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Or, you can also mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. Then, use this water to rinse your mouth. Do this way for a few times per day.
- Alternatively, mix turmeric powder (1/4 teaspoon) with olive or mustard oil (1 teaspoon). Then, apply this mixture to the affected area and allow it to be on for 15 minutes. Finally, rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water.
Try one of these home remedies for abscess tooth using turmeric for a few times per day.
Plantain contains soothing, astringent, and anti-inflammatory properties that pull the harmful toxins out of your body. You should choose fresh plantain rather than dried plantain because it is more effective in reducing the pain, swelling, and infection. According to many reports, this plant, when used overnight, is very useful in curing their infected tooth.
Besides, plantain may also remove the infected material from the gum. However, just when crushing its leaves, it gives this property.
- Firstly, crush a few fresh plantain leaves finely and then apply it to the affected area.
- Now, leave it on there for 20 minutes.
- Finally, rinse it off thoroughly with clean water.
- Try using this way for 2 to 3 times per or when needed.
This is one of other natural home remedies for abscess tooth swelling and infection. A cold pack may treat and give you instant relief from the pain by numbing the abscessed tooth.
- Firstly, place a few ice cubes in a cloth and wrap it carefully.
- Now, put this cloth outside the mouth where has an abscessed tooth.
- Next, hold it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Follow this way regularly when needed.
- Alternately, you can replace the ice cubes with a cold water bottle or a chilled bag of vegetables.
Salt is useful and necessary in your kitchen. This ingredient not only helps you have healthy recipes, but it also helps you reduce pain, inflammation, and cut down swelling. In order to get rid of abscess tooth, you should add some salt in warm water, stir it well and use it as a mouthwash every day. Do it more frequently, you will get the clear change on your tooth.
Learn more: The Book Of TMJ Treatment
The combination of pepper and salt is one of the most effective home remedies for abscess tooth. This method will reduce inflammation and bacteria effectively. Simply, you can mix salt and pepper with some water as good paste, apply the mixture into the affected area for some minutes. You can do this treatment for several times each day if you want to heal the problem shortly.
Garlic is excellent ingredient for your health improvement. Actually, garlic can relieve toothache effectively because it contains medicinal and antibiotic properties that can reduce pain. You crush garlic cloves, mix some salt, garlic, and apply the mixture into your pain. Also, you can chew some garlic cloves to relieve pain and swelling shortly. This treatment can be used several times per day.
Or, you can place a raw garlic clove in the mouth and the use your teeth to crush it. Then, chew it till the pain disappears. After that, spit it out and wash your mouth with lukewarm water. To reduce the smell of garlic, you can replace raw garlic with some drops of clove oil. You add this oil to the warm water and gargle your mouth with this solution.
Or, you can also use garlic oil to rub on your affected tooth.
Follow any of these home remedies for abscess tooth with garlic for 3 or 4 times per day for several weeks.
Being great in antioxidant, anesthetic, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties, cloves are excellent home remedies to kill infection and toothache. Simply, you grind some whole cloves, mix vegetable oil or olive oil; apply the mixture on the infected tooth. Another way to use cloves to reduce tooth infection and pain is to use a cotton ball, dab in clove oil and rub it on the sore teeth. Additionally, you can combine a cup of water with some drops of clove oil and rinse your mouth every day.
Being good in antimicrobial and antiseptic properties, onion can manage your pain in teeth well because onion will kill germs and relieve pain effectively. This method is so simple to do at home. Simply, you chew some raw onion for several minutes, or you can cut raw onion into pieces and put it on the gum or painful tooth. You also can use onion to cook healthy recipes to improve health as well as prevent dental problems.
Are you wondering about more home remedies for abscess tooth? Asafetida is an example for this dental problem. You just try to use some asafetida powder, lemon juice, and warm it a bit. Use a cotton ball and dip it into the mixture to apply on the affected region. This method will relieve your pain quickly. Also, you can fry asafetida with butter and put in tooth to reduce swelling and pain immediately.
Guava leaves are useful home remedies for abscess tooth for a long time as it contains antimicrobial, analgesic, anti-inflammatory properties. You just chew some fresh guava leaves until your pain is reduced. Or you take some guava leaves to boil in water, strain, and cool it naturally, add some salt and wash your teeth every day. You should do this method every day to get the best result.
Another home remedy for abscess tooth is vanilla extract. Using vanilla every day, you will reduce numbness and calm your tooth dramatically. How to use it for healing abscess tooth? You just need to prepare vanilla extract, dip a cotton ball on the liquid, and dab it on the affected tooth. You can apply this method several times per day for best benefits.
Ice cubes will help you eliminate tooth pain well at home if you do it regularly. In fact, ice cubes can alleviate pain from many conditions such as injuries, burn, etc. now you use a cotton cloth, wrap an ice cube, and hold it on the cheek near the tooth for some minutes. Or you can rub an ice cube between the thumb and finger to relieve tooth pain. Is that so strange? But you can try doing it at home right now.
Owning antibacterial property, wheatgrass juice is worthy in the list of best home remedies for abscess tooth. This ingredient can reduce toothache and decay effectively. You just need to extract wheatgrass and use juice to wash your mouth every day. Doing this method several times, you will remove toxins from your gums, kill bacteria, and decrease infection very well. Another option to cure the problem is to chew wheatgrass.
- Drink half a glass of wheatgrass juice every day when you have an empty stomach to relieve the discomforts caused by an abscessed tooth.
- Use a type of toothpaste containing fluoride in order to reduce the chance of getting an abscessed tooth.
- Always brush and floss the teeth for 2 times daily.
- Rinse your mouth properly with an antimicrobial mouthwash to prevent infection.
- Quit smoking and avoid using tobacco.
- Change your toothbrush after 3 to 4 months.
- Do not chew too much gum.
- When having a tooth infection or pain, avoid using caffeine.
- Limit intake of sugary items and wash your mouth properly after having sugary items.
- Visit your dentist for check-ups and proper cleanings.
- Have a healthy diet.
After reading about top 31 natural remedies for abscess tooth infection and swelling, I hope that you have learned some useful techniques, to get rid of the dental problems naturally at home. This article is for informational purpose only, so you should go to see the doctor immediately if you cannot get better effect from those home remedies. If you have any question, please leave your comments below and I will respond to you soon.
Related articles on tooth pain:
If you want to get more useful and home remedies for many diseases, you might visit our main Home Remedies page.