According a recent survey, almost everyone suffers from leg pain and back pain at some point in her or his life. The good news is that a few simple and natural home remedies can help you back in the swing of things in only a few days. Even better, you can make sure that you will not have to endure similar discomfort in the future. I’m Hang Pham, an author from the site Vkool.com, and I made this article to show you the best ways to relieve your aching back and legs and prevent back and leg strain altogether. I will begin in the next section with effective and safe home remedies for back pain and leg pain relief you are suffering.
Natural And Safe Cures – The Best Home Remedies For Back Pain And Leg Pain Relief
I. Natural Home Remedies For Back Pain Relief
The following home remedies for back pain are appropriate for everyone who is suffering from aching back due to a strain, or tight or aching muscles. However, if you are experiencing numbness, pain, or weakness in your legs, or a loss of bladder control or bowel, see a doctor immediately.
1. Do Not Take It Lying Down
A growing number of doctors today encourage their patients to get up and around as soon as possible to avoid bed rest completely if possible. That is because many researches show that lying down for an extended period will not only fail to speed up relief of the back pain but can make it even worse. When you feel that you need to rest your sore back, the best position you should practice is lying flat on your painful back with 2 pillows underneath your knees. In addition, you need to make an effort to get up and move around, gently and slowly as soon as possible. Any more than 3 days of bed rest can weaken your muscles and make your muscles more prone to strain. Keep reading the article to get more details about home remedies for back pain.
Recommended reading: Treat Sciatica Now book – a guidebook that covers natural, safe and effective home remedies for back pain.
2. Take A Hot Bath
If over 24 hours have passed since your injury occurred, ice will not help you reduce your pain or inflammation. Therefore, after that first day, heat can help boost the elasticity of the muscles somewhat, so you should try soaking in a tub of hot water for about 20 minutes or more. However, pregnant women should avoid sitting in a hot bath or hot tub for too long, because raising their body temperature more than 100 degrees Fahrenheit for long periods can cause miscarriage or birth defects. In case you are pregnant, you should contact your doctors for advice before you try a hot soak.
Recommended reading: Sciatica Treatment At Home book – a book that consists of lower back pain relief exercises.
3. Use A Cushion
Most seats in trucks and cars are not designed for supporting the small of your back. If the seat in your vehicle does not, you should buy a small cushion, which can be fitted to provide you with the missing support. Although your mother tell you about taking your back at an angle of around 110 degrees and sitting up straight are ideal for your back. If you sit for many hours, you should get up and walk around occasionally to increase blood flow as well as decrease stiffness.
Recommended reading: Lose The Back Pain program – a new program that will help you cure back pain without drugs.
4. Invest In A New Mattress
A soft and sagging mattress can contribute to the development of your back problems or worsen an existing problem. If buying a new mattress is not in your budget, however, a ¾ inch-thick piece of plywood placed between the box spring and mattress can help somewhat. It is not clear whether waterbeds can offer any relief for back pain.
Recommended reading: Bullet Proof Back program – a new program that teaches you how to cure and prevent back pain.
5. Put Your Arm Behind Your Back
In case you get stuck sitting for a long time in a seat, which does not support your back and you do not have a cushion, you should try rolling up a sweater or towel so that it has about the same circumference like your forearm. Then you slide the rolled up clothes between the back of the seat and your lower back. In a pinch, you can easily slide your forearm between the seat back and your lower back to ease the strain on your back. Although with the best back support, your sitting is still stressful on your back, therefore, you can try to at least make some small adjustments in the curvature of your back every few minutes or so. You will discover more about home remedies for back pain in the next part of this article.
6. Get Some Sleep
You should get sufficient rest at night because it is important when your back muscle is strained. It is best to lie on your side, with the knees flexed and using a pillow between them. If you want to lie on your back, you can place a pillow under your knees.
Recommended reading: Top 18 Best And Worst Foods For Sleep
Many experts indicate that swimming is one of good aerobic exercises for a bad back. In addition, doing laps in the pool will help strengthen and tone muscles of your back and abdomen that help support the spine and temporarily relieve them of the job of holding up your weight. You also try walking, another way for improving your back health.
Recommend reading: 17 Major Health And Mental Benefits Of Swimming Daily
8. Get A Massage
If you are lucky enough to get an accommodating spouse, roommate, or friend, you can ask her or him to give you a rubdown. When you lie face down on a sofa or bed, you can ask your masseuse to knead your back muscles. In addition, local massage therapists can also make house calls if you do not feel able to visit one of them.
Recommended reading: 25 Benefits Of Massage Therapy
9. Lift With Your Knees Bent
The large muscles of your buttocks and legs are better equipped to bear the heavy weight than your back muscles are. To be sure, you are lifting appropriately, you should imagine that you are balancing a bowl of soup on your head, and you try not to spill a single drop. You have to keep your back straight and bend only your knees rather than bend at your waist as when you squat to pick some things up. Then, you rise and concentrate on using your leg muscle to push your upper body and the objects back up into the standing position, again with not bending at the waist. Many fitness experts indicate that strengthening your buttock and leg muscles will make it even easier to lift and squat properly, whether you are picking up a bag of groceries, a pen, or a small child.
10. Apply Relaxation Methods
Back pain is the result of the muscles that are made tight by emotional tension. To relive back pain, you should learn and practice relaxation techniques including meditation, or try deep-breathing exercises such as breathing slowly and deeply, closing your eyes, and counting backward from 100.
Recommended reading: Stretches For Sciatica To Bring Relief For Back Pain – this article consists of exercises, tips and advice on how to treat sciatica in the comfort of your own home.
11. Watch Your Weight
You should maintain a healthy body weight (you can ask your doctor if you are not sure what that is) as it helps take the strain off the back muscles by reducing their load. What is more, having a flabby midsection will cause you to become sway-backed that will worsen back pain.
12. Take 2 Aspirins
Another ways for treating back pain is taking an over-the-counter analgesic including acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen. This way will help relieve your pain quickly. However, you should be aware that not all medications and not even nonprescription medications are effective and safe for everyone. Pregnant women, for example, have to avoid taking any medication with not first checking with their doctors. In addition, people with ulcers should also stay away from analgesics that contain aspirin. You should remember that you should not take any medicine for a bad back with not first learning about its potential negative effects and talking to your doctors.
If your pain involves the muscles of the back, read: 21 Home Remedies For Sore Muscles In Neck, Shoulders, Back And Legs After Workout
13. Carry Objects Close To Your Body
When you pick up and carry heavy objects, you should pull in your elbows and then hold these objects close to your body. In addition, when you reach for a bulky item on a shelf, you should stand beneath it and then rest the object on your head. Your erecting spine when carrying the weight places fewer burdens on your back muscles. If you want to know other home remedies for back pain, continue reading the article.
14. Ice The Painful Area
Applying an ice pack to your painful area in 24 hours will help control inflammation and keep it to a minimum. This method also helps ease discomfort by lowering your ability of nerves to send pain signals to your brain. To practice this method, you should follow steps such as placing ice cubes in a plastic bag, then applying the bag on top of a thin towel, which has been placed on the skin, leaving the ice pack on for about 20 minutes, taking it off for 30 minutes, and then replacing it for another 20 minutes.
For additional tips on how to relieve back pain, see: X-Pain Method program
15. Stay Alert
Careless activity is the main cause of back injury; therefore, beware if you have struggled with the back pain in the past. In addition, as much as possible, people should avoid bending, lifting, and twisting. You also make a mental note of situations, which have led to your back injuries in the past, and make your best to avoid them. You can pay someone to move furniture for you, or to do your lawn work, but you can shell out a few dollars today to keep you pain-free and on the job tomorrow.
There are many of the activities that you engage in each day such as lifting, bending, carrying and sitting that can put a strain on your back. Upon learning new ways of preventing injuries caused by these activities, you will help avoid back pain and ensure the health of your back for years to come. In my opinion, you can try the above home remedies for back pain to keep your back pain at bay. Back pain home remedies rely mostly on modification and rest of daily routine. You also can make a few ingredients available in your kitchen that can help you get you “back” into shape.
To see all of our home remedies, tips and advice on common diseases and conditions, go to our main Health A-Z page.
II. Natural Home Remedies For Leg Pain Relief
- Massage: you can encourage circulation by lightly massaging your calves, legs, and ankles several times per day. This method can help provide relief from cramped and tense muscles. In addition, massage can help promote circulation as well as help restore sensation to tissues. Every evening, you should massage your legs with mustard oil or coconut oil for extra relief.
- Hydrate: you should drink plenty of water throughout the day to help prevent edema, or water retention that frequently sinks to the ankles due to gravity. You also can take a steam bath once a week to help encourage circulation as well as restore blood flow to the extremities.
- Use Herbal Wraps: herbal wraps not only provide soothing relief for your legs, but it can also help lower stress and promote rest.This method has long been used to help bring pain relief for aching legs.
- Use Rosemary Or Thyme: you should take a bath in warm water this is infused with five tbsp. of thyme or rosemary to provide amazing relief.
- Exercise: grab your upper lip between your index finger and thumb, and then squeeze for around 30 seconds to getting relief
- Ice Your Shins: to alleviate the leg pains and lower inflammation, you can ice your shins instantly after running.
- Apply Ice Pack: you wrap the ice pack around your painful leg and keep it on for ten or fifteen minutes to keep your foot elevated all the while.
- Bananas Consumption: you should avoid consumption of rice during nighttime. Among fruits, banana is considered best fruit as it provides strength to the joints and grease them.
- Avoid Foods That Are Difficult To Digest: you should avoid meat and fish, heavy meals, fried foods and sour fruits because these foods are difficult to digest.
- Apply Papaya Seed Tea: Drinking a cup of papaya seed tea 6 or 7 times daily for 2 or 3 weeks for relief from joint pain
- Massage With Oils: massaging the affected area with any oil can provide relief from the pain.
- Drink Fresh Bathu Juice: drinking about 15 grams of fresh bathu juice daily with the empty stomach with not adding any sugar or salt to it is an effective home remedy for leg pains.
- Apply The Cod Liver Oil: mixing this oil with the juice of one orange before sleeping is another ways for leg pain.
- Take Foods That Are Rich In Calcium And Protein
- Exposure To Sunlight For Vitamin D
After reading my overview of natural and safe home remedies for back pain and leg pain relief, I hope that it will help you get more ways to deal with your back pain and leg pain. I also show you step by step instructions on how to use these remedies without taking drugs or pills. This post is part of a series of tips, methods, and advice on how to deal with common diseases and conditions. Got a question? Need answers? Leave a comment below.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- How To Naturally Regrow Lost Hair In 15 Minutes A Day Pdf Review
- 13 Reasons to Own A Pet for Children
- Top 18 high calorie foods for toddlers to gain weight
- Top 28 natural foods to reduce high blood pressure fast
- 10 Tips On How To Treat Epilepsy Naturally
- 14 Health Benefits Of Lychees For Skin And Internal Health
- Top 10 Anti Aging Essential Oils For Skin You Should Not Ignore
- How to cure asthma at home without medication – 6 tips