Cellulitis is a serious and common skin infection of deeper skin layers & subcutaneous tissues. This skin infection condition is frequently caused by streptococcus and staphylococcus bacteria. However, it may be also caused by some other types of bacteria. If you are looking for natural solutions for treating cellulitis infection that work quickly and effectively for your problem, then you should read this writing. In this article, VKool.com will show you top 28 natural home remedies for cellulitis infection on legs, face and other parts of the body. The writing is a collection of simple but effective solutions to treat cellulitis infection naturally and fast from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose.
Keep reading this writing to learn more about symptoms, causes, and home remedies for cellulitis infection!
Here are the top 28 Home Remedies For Cellulitis Infection – Symptoms, Causes & More
I. Cellulitis – What Is It?
Cellulitis is a harmful skin bacterial infectious issue. The breakthrough of bacteria destroys the outer layer that protects the skin, often found at the site of an injury, such as a sore, cut, burn, bite, and puncture. Cellulitis can occur at the area which has a catheter or at the surgery site. Once bacterial triggers are near the surface of your skin, they can multiply and generate chemicals that cause inflammation on the skin.
II. Symptoms Of Cellulitis
In cellulitis, the infectious skin region would feel warm and is often associated with swollen, painful, and red skin. The red skin region could appear slight or can even stand higher than the surrounding skin regions. People could prepare use hand back to try feeling the warm skin region, especially when you compare with the surrounding skin areas. You might have to experience a red streak that spreads network on your skin because of the vessel infectious issue that might be associated with lymph (tissue fluid), and enlarged lymph nodes (swollen glands) near the infectious areas.
Fever and malaise (a general feeling of sickness) usually come together with cellulitis. If bacteria get into the body’s bloodstream, severe infectious issues could lead to low blood pressure. Blood poisoning (bloodstream infectious issue) from cellulitis is especially harmful in the very old and very young, as well as in those having weakened abnormal heart valves or immune systems.
III. Cause of Cellulitis
The major causative factors that can lead to cellulitis are Staphyloccus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes bacteria. In healthy conditions, our skin acts as a protective agent that can fight and beat off the triggers of infectious issues, helping to prevent them from entering into your body. As the skin integrity is broken because of several different factors, such as surgical incision, injuries, scratch marks, cuts, insect bites, etc, the bacterial agents can get entry into the body through this broken skin and cause the connective tissue and skin inflammation. People who are living with venous stasis, suppressed immune system, and diabetes mellitus are more likely to suffer from cellulitis.
Mostly, signs of cellulitis could be started to improve in 1 or 2 days since people begin using appropriate antibiotics to treat it. People should always remember to take prescribed by doctors before using any antibiotic, even if people think that their current infectious issue has been treated. The prognosis is good in general, but the disease could return, particularly in those having long-term (chronic) swelling in the skin/legs or poor blood circulation in bad conditions.
V. When To Call A Professional
People should call a professional or health care provider such as a prestigious doctor if they notice a skin injury becoming tender, swollen, warm, or red. Promptly consult your medical health care provider if you have a deep puncture wound, particularly on your foot or hand, or if you were bitten by human or animal.
VI. Expected Duration
The prolonging ability of a cellulitis could last depending on the cellulitis extent, your entire health condition, and those bacteria led to your infectious issue. If people do not take proper antibiotics, some forms of this health condition could lead to severe complications within 2 – 3 days, even in those having a good health condition.
Many of those suffering from cellulitis did not notice any other medical problem as well as no clear skin damage or injury that triggered the infectious issue to happen.
Your doctor could choose to diagnose your cellulitis issue based on your symptoms, your recent medical history, as well as a physical test. Your doctor might also recommend you to take some necessary examinations to check out if there are some other diseases that might be associated with your cellulitis. For instance, an ultrasound of the veins within the legs could aid a lot in detecting blood clots. X-ray could help you in determining if the skin infectious issue has spread to your bones.
Mostly, the doctor is not able to particularly tell patients what bacteria types have caused their current infectious situation. Researches have revealed that the skin culture is not helpful at all. An antibiotic could be opted for killing most bacterial types that are trigger factors of this health issue. Your cure needed to be adjusted if you could not see any improvement in your condition.
Medical diseases that are related to cellulitis closely could be
- Flesh-eating strep, also named “necrotizing fasciitis” is a tissue infection under the skin, rather than your skin itself. Basically, your infected skin area would be extremely painful and discolored. Fasciitis is an infection that is life-threatening and may require proper and timely medical intervention.
- Erysipelas is a skin infectious issue that could lead to bright red, firm, and raised patches of skin. Often, it is triggered by the bacteria named Streptococcus. Erysipelas may most usually happen on a leg or an arm that has been harmed by an old surgery or is chronically swollen because of the lymphedema (poor lymph flow). Erysipelas could also occur on the skin area on the face, often across the upper cheeks and the nose bridge.
Top 28 Home Remedies For Cellulitis Infection On Legs & Other Body Parts
Here are 28 best home remedies for cellulitis you are looking for:
This is the very first one out on the list of the most effective natural home remedies for cellulitis that people should try right from today to cure this skin condition fast.
The anti-infective effect of vitamin A could aid in treating this skin disease. If you consume vitamin C on a regular basis could help in healing the skin rashes and wounds. Further, it could also help to boost your immune system. It is especially important for those suffering from cellulitis to consume vitamin E regularly to reduce the development of this skin infectious issue. There are many foods that are abundant in these vitamins, such as sunflower seeds, almond butter, wheat germ oil, dairy products, nuts, olive oil, orange, and carrot.The use of vitamins is the best thing you can do to treat cellulitis right at home, so try it! Click To Tweet
Neem belongs to the “Meliaceae’’ family. Neem leaf juice could be used to apply to cure the animal/insect bites and skin wounds. Consuming neem leaf juice diluted with water regularly could also help to relieve your cellulitis symptoms.
The neem tree extracted oil could be used to directly apply onto the skin for killing the bacteria. The oil extracted from neem tree could be mixed with water to create a solution to rinse the infected area. In fact, this is actual among the best home remedies for cellulitis that people should not ignore yet try to make use as soon as possible to be free from the condition.
3. Warm Bath
Warm bathing is also listed here as one of the best home remedies for cellulitis that everyone at all ages should try. There is an old saying “prevention is better than treatment”, and it is always right for centuries. Cellulitis could be inhibited just by the use of some easy methods. People need to avoiding walking barefoot, bathing on a regular basis, and maintain good hygiene. You need to give your wounds proper care and keep proper dressing. You need to pay attention for your wounds on time and carefully throughout the day and try warm bathing for reducing the symptoms fast.
Pineapple is another one among home remedies for cellulitis infection that people should try at home right from today. In fact, pineapple has an enzyme known as bromelain which can help to cure cellulitis fast and effectively. You should add pineapple to your daily meal to cure cellulitis prevent it as well because this is one of the best home remedies for cellulitis for people at all ages.
Goldenseal is a native plant coming from the land of North America. In the U.S, various beauty and medical products are sold by the Goldenseal. Goldenseal is actually a good one out of home remedies for cellulitis infection thanks to the anti-inflammatory effects it provides. A powered goldenseal paste should be used to apply directly onto your current infected skin region. Goldenseal could be used as a useful natural home treatment. It has alkaloid which provides a powerful anti-bacterial property. Everybody can prepare a home treatment cure just by mixing a sufficient amount of water with goldenseal powder and use the paste to directly apply onto the infected parts of your body to relieve irritation, inflammation, and redness on skin that results from the cellulitis issue. You should allow the paste to stay on your skin without at least 4 – 5 hours to achieve the best result. You can also try soaking a cotton ball in goldenseal extract and applying it onto your own affected skin region several times per week for obtaining the results you desire It is recommeded to cover the affected skin region (after applying this method) using a soft cloth bandage so that people would be able to inhibit the development of the infectious triggering cells.
Read More: Top 10 Health Benefits Of Goldenseal
6. Rosemary And Fennel Oil
The combination of rosemary and fennel oil can act effectively as a useful skin lubricant. Often, people tend to scratch their skin region that is affected by irritation trigger. You should use this combination to apply onto your skin until your infection vanishes would aid a lot in avoiding the risks of developing skin rashes and preventing it from the reoccurence. Apply 2 – 3 or even 5 drops of the combination directly onto your affected skin region till the infection is totally cured
Water can work wonderfully for every cellulitis case. By consuming a plenty of water, bad bacterial agents inside the body would be flushed out with your urine. It is a prominent and useful treatment that can help a lot in fighting against bacterial infectious issue happened inside the human body. In addition, the regular use of water to wash off the infected skin issue could bring about the soothing influence, as well as keep your skin totally clean. Consume a plenty of water and remember to cleanse your infected skin region carefully and regularly with clean water for good. In fact, this is among the most effective home remedies for cellulitis that people should try to be free from the condition without having to make use of any drug, pill, or medication.
We commonly know and consider yogurt as curd because of its bacterial actions and acts on the infected skin region by discarding and reducing the infectious agents and trigger factors. You just need to use yogurt to apply directly onto your infected region. You should take one or two cups of yogurt because it can help to increase the count of healthy bacteria inside your body as well as attacking the infection internally.
9. Homeopathic Medicine Pyrogenium For Septicaemia In Cellulitis
Pyrogenium is a great one among home remedies for cellulitis infection. The points that guide towards the use of this remedy in septic conditions are
a ) fever with chills
b) The body’s temperature from 103 – 106, rising fast with abnormally rapid pulse rate that could make the patients restless. Patients need pyrogenium complains of excess chilliness in their back. In case where septicemia happens after childbirth or after surgery, Pyrogenium could act extremely good.
10. Silicea – Homoeopathic Medicine For Curing Cellulitis As The Blebs Appear On The Skin
This homeopathic remedy would bring about very good results as you notice the blebs formed upon your skin areas before seeing the cases and symptoms of cellulitis. These blebs could provide pus which is extremely offensive. This home treatment can also be used when there is a fever with offensive perspiration and chilliness associated with the cellulitis issue.
11. Ledum Palsture – Homoeopathic Remedy For Curing Cellulitis Resulted From The Bites Of Insects
Ledum palustre is a homeopathic medicine that has an extremely good effect in curing those cases of cellulitis due to the bites of insects. This natural homeopathic medicine could be made use to cure cellulitis when there is a coldness of infected part with some terrible painful feelings. The Ledum palustre homeopathic medicine could be made use in long-term cellulitis cases in which the color of your skin could change to green (from blueness).
12. Homoeopathic Medicine Apis Mellifica For Curing Cellulitis When There Is The Presentation Of Marked Swelling
Apis mellifica is very good for those suffering from cellulitis in which there is much swelling of the infected region along with much stinging and burning pain sensations. Apis mellifica may also respond to those cellulitis cases in which the burning sensation of pain is reduced by using some coldpresses to apply onto the skin directly and you will find your pain shifting from one part to another rapidly. Another feature of this issue is the rosy hue skin color and you will see more sensitivity towards your skin touches. You can also take apis mellifica in every case where cellulitis is due to the stings of honey bees.
13. Belladona – Homeopathic Medicine For Curing Cellulitis When The Skin Redness Is Marked
Homeopathic remedy Belladonna can work effectively like an extremely effective natural treatment for cellulitis where the skin is swollen and markedly red giving your skin its temporarily shining appearance. A patient who needs Belladona would also get pain which may get worse due to touching. The character of the pain you may experience due to this health issue is that it disappears and appears rapidly and suddenly. Another noticed feature where this homeopathic medicine Belladona could be taken for treating cellulitis is the skin dryness with heat.
14. Manuka Honey
This honey is very rich in phytochemicals, which are efficient in managing staph infections. In addition, manuka honey contains active compounds that can inhibit antibiotic-resistant MRSA or methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus. Besides, manuka honey can aid in speeding up wound healing. Here are step by step directions to apply manuka honey for curing cellulitis:
- You spread a few drops of manuka honey onto the affected area.
- You leave it on your skin for some hours before you wash it off.
- You do this way a few times per day till you get better results.
15. Oil Of Oregano
Oregano oil is a natural antibiotic that is often used as one of effective home remedies for cellulitis infection. Oregano oil contains the phenolic compounds such as thymol and carvacrol with antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial & anti-inflammatory qualities. Here are step by step instructions to use oregano oil for curing cellulitis:
- You dilute about 10 to 12 drops oregano oil into 2 tbsp of jojoba oil, coconut oil, olive oil, or other carrier oils.
- Then you apply it onto the affected area
- Then you leave it on there for about some hours.
- You wash it off & reapply this way several times per day.
In addition, you can take oregano oil internally:
- You mix 3 drops of oregano oil into 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Then you add 1 tsp of honey
- You consume it 5 times per day for 3 or 4 days.
- Or you can take it 3 times per day for 7 to 10 days.
There is another way to use oregano oil for curing cellulitis:
- You mix 5 drops of oregano oil into a glass of fruit juice or water.
- You drink it 3 to 5 times per day for 3 or 4 days
- Then you decrease the dosage to 3 drops and you keep this dosage for around 10 days.
Pay attention: You do not use the full-strength oregano oil onto broken skin. In addition, pregnant women do not take oregano oil because it may stimulate the uterus & induce menstruation.
Calendula has a soothing property for inflamed & tender skin. It also helps you fight some common skin infections such as cellulitis infection. In addition, calendula has ability to increase the blood flow to affected skin areas & stimulate the collagen production, leading to promoting the wound healing. To use calendula for treating cellulitis infection, you can follow some easy steps as below:
- You steep 2 tsp of calendula flowers into a cup hot water for roughly 10 minutes.
- You dip a clean cloth into this infusion
- Then you apply it onto the affected area.
- You leave it on there for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- You repeat this way 3 to 4 times per day for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Alternatively, you can apply the calendula cream 2 to 3 times per day till you see desired results.
If you want to discover other natural home remedies for cellulitis, keep reading this writing.
Turmeric is one of the best home remedies for cellulitis. It has powerful natural antiseptic & antibiotic properties that can prevent as well as treat cellulitis. In addition, it contains curcumin that provides wonderful anti-inflammatory benefits. If you want to apply turmeric for treating cellulitis, you can follow the following directions:
- You mix 1 tsp of turmeric powder into a milk glass
- Then you boil it
- Next, you add a little of honey into this glass.
- You drink this mixture 1 or 2 times per day till you see the infection is cleared.
Another way to use turmeric for treating cellulitis: you just need to take about 400 mg to 500 mg of curcumin powder, 3 times per day for 1 to 2 months.
- You can mix 1 tbsp of raw honey, 1 tsp of turmeric powder with 3 drops tea tree oil into 1 or 2 tsp of bentonite clay to create a turmeric poultice paste.
- Then you apply it onto the affected area
- You leave it on there for about 15 minutes to 20 minutes before you rinse it off.
- You use it per day for 3 to 4 days.
18. Coconut Oil
This oil contains the medium-chain fatty acids such as lauric acid that can help you in fighting bacteria. In addition, coconut oil has a soothing property for skin together with healing properties. If you want to apply coconut oil for treating cellulitis, here are step by step instructions:
- You apply the coconut oil onto the affected area.
- You leave it on there for some hours
- Then you wash it off.
- You reapply this way several times per day till your problem is cured.
19. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has strong antifungal, anti-inflammatory & antibacterial properties that are highly beneficial for healing cellulitis. Here are some easy ways to use tea tree oil for treating cellulitis infection:
- You moisten some cotton swabs with water
- Then you put 1 or 2 drops of essential tea tree oil onto them.
- You dab them onto your affected skin areas.
- You leave this oil on your skin for some hours before you wash it off.
- You mix 2 drops of essential tea tree oil into 1 tsp of raw honey or aloe vera gel.
- You apply this mixture onto your affected skin areas
- Then you leave this oil on the skin for some hours before you rinse it off.
- You do this way 1 to 2 times per day till you get the better results.
To discover other home remedies for cellulitis, continue reading the next part of this writing.
Garlic is one of the best home remedies for cellulitis. It is often used as a natural antibiotic for treating skin infections due to the active compound allicin it contains. This compound provides strong antimicrobial & anti-inflammatory properties that can help you in reducing inflammation. Here are step by step instructions to use garlic for treating cellulitis:
- You eat 3 or 4 raw, crushed garlic cloves per day for several weeks.
- Then you can drink a cup of milk.
- Alternatively, you can fry 2 crushed garlic cloves with the coconut oil
- Then you cool & strain the oil
- Then you apply it onto the affected area.
- You leave it on your skin for some hours before you wash it off.
- You do this way 1 or 2 times per day
In addition, there is another simple way to use garlic for treating cellulitis: you apply a few crushed garlic cloves onto the affected skin areas for 5 to 10 minutes. However, this way is not appropriate for people with sensitive skin.
21. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds contain flavonoids that can help you to relieve the skin inflammation & infections. To use fenugreek seeds for treating cellulitis, here are detailed steps you can follow at home:
- You soak 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds into the warm water for some hours.
- You grind them together with some teaspoons of water to create a paste.
- Then you apply the paste onto the affected area.
- You leave it on your skin for some hours before you wash it off.
- You repeat this way daily till cellulitis is removed from your skin.
22. Activated Charcoal
Activated charcoal can help you in drawing out toxins & chemical impurities, which contribute to your skin inflammation & infections. Here are detailed steps to use activated charcoal for curing cellulitis:
- You mix 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed and 1 tbsp of activated charcoal powder together with a sufficient amount of water in order to create a paste
- You spread this paste onto a paper towel
- Then you cover it by using another paper towel.
- You place this poultice onto your affected skin areas
- Then you cover them with a plastic
- You also need to secure it with tape.
- You leave it on your skin for overnight or some hours.
- You do this way per day for 3 to 4 days.
Echinacea is often used as one of the natural remedies for cellulitis. Echinacea helps strengthen your immune system as well. In addition, it is packed with flavonoids that provide anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, antibiotic, and antimicrobial properties. To use echinacea for treating cellulitis, you can take it internally. In addition, you can apply it onto the affected skin areas with the gel or cream form in order to treat skin irritation & inflammation. You should also consult a doctor before you take this herb to get a proper dosage.
VIII. How To Prevent Cellulitis Naturally At Home
1. Preventing Cellulitis
Not every case of cellulitis could be prevented; however, we can take steps to relieve the risks of the disease.
The steps below should be followed strictly to treat wounds and prevent skin wounds properly when you notice this.
2. Treating Skin Wounds
Remember to ensure that every cut, graze, or bite is kept clean. Wash your infected skin area under water (running tap), if needed, use antiseptic cream to apply onto your skin.
Use a dressing or a plaster to cover your wound. Ensure that you would be changing the dressing or plaster if it gets dirty or wet. Dressings or plasters would help in reducing the risks of the wound being worsen, and they would aid in creating a barrier against bacterial agents entering the skin.
3. Hand Hygiene
Keep your hands clean regularly, especially when touching or treating a skin issue or wound.
If you are suffering from an itchy skin issue, such as chickenpox or atopic eczema, always clean your fingernails and cut them short on a regular basis.
If you scratch your skin while keeping your fingernails clean and short enough, your risks of developing skin infectious issue and damage would be relieved.
4. Keep Your Skin Moisturized
If your skin is prone to cracking or dry, always try to moisturize your skin well. Cracked skin could help bacteria to enter your body.
5. Preventing Recurrent Cellulitis
People who is living with the cellulitis issue that is frequently recurring, like those suffering from lymphoedema (a disease that may cause swelling of your legs and arms), might be suggested to start making use of antibiotics for long to protect against further infectious issues.
If you are among those living with lymphoedema, you might be given a antibiotics course that lasts in 2 weeks to take if you begin noticing the very first symptoms of cellulitis.
If you have over 2 episodes of cellulitis per year, your GP might refer you to a skin specialist (a dermatologist) to know exactly whether or not you should take antibiotics for long to protect against further infectious issues.
Another thing that I would like to advise you and all of my other readers after revealing the list of the best home remedies for cellulitis is that you should read another writing which shows an interesting topic – the Top 7 Tips On How To Treat Seborrheic Dermatitis Naturally At Home article. This is actually an entire writing that also comes to help people live a healthy life without having to suffer from the dermatitis issue – also a common skin problem that many people have to suffer from in the world. In fact, this recommended article reveals the most effective tips and techniques that can help people treat the seborrheic dermatitis issue without having to make use of any type of drug, pill or medication. In brief, if you have any skin issue out of the 2 problems: cellulitis and dermatitis; just make use of the article today and the suggested article to achieve the best results.
Articles related to skin infections:
- How to get rid of moles, warts, and skin tags with this Moles, Warts, And Skin Tags Removal book
- Top 16 natural treatments for cellulite on thighs and legs at home
- Natural skin infection treatments that work at home
- 33 common types of skin infections in children parents should know
- 6 best solutions for skin fungus on legs and other body parts
- Top 7 natural home treatments for jock itch fast
- Top 10 at home treatments for boils on buttocks and cysts on face and body
- Top 5 natural solutions for skin infections among athletes
- Top 12 at home natural treatments for scabies in humans
- Top 10 best solutions for psoriasis for both men and women
To discover more about common health problems & effective homemade remedies, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the writing of top 10 home remedies for cellulitis infection on legs & other parts of the body, hope that this writing helps you find out the best solution to get rid of cellulitis infection and other skin infections. However, the writing is solely for the informational purpose, so you need to get advice from your doctor before applying any home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other natural home remedies for cellulitis, please leave them below.