Chickenpox is an illness caused by a virus, and there is no specific medicine for this condition at all. The disease will go away after a certain time period when the body's immune system can control the viruses.
I. Home Remedies For Chickenpox In Adults And Children – Foods To Eat:
An appropriate diet will provide fuel for the body and strengthen the immune system to fight against the trigger viruses.
Diet for people with chickenpox should be considered carefully about the nutritional value of foods because the patients have some symptoms, such as fever and chills. Moreover, the diet should help to strengthen the immune system of the patients.
In this section of the article, I will reveal some of the best home remedies for chickenpox – the healthy foods to eat (and food to avoid in the part II) – that people with this condition should make use! The home remedies for chickenpox include:
4. Neem Leaves
6. Tea Tree Oil
8. Oatmeal Bath
9. Aloe Vera
10. Epsom Salt
14. Green Peas
16. Jasmine Flower
17. Herbal Tea
18. Sandalwood Oil
20. Purslane Juice
23. Cooling Soup
24. Turmeric Juice
25. Vitamin C
Baking soda helps in controlling the irritation and itchiness from chickenpox. Particularly, baking soda contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial characteristics, which help eliminate the burning sensation. Hence, this is also one of the best home remedies for chickenpox in children and adults. You can follow the two methods below:
- Take ½ tsp of baking soda and mix it into one glass of water.
- Then, give the patient one sponge bath with this mixture and let the solution dry on the skin.
- Repeat this method regularly.
- You simply take half a cup of baking soda and mix it into a warm bath.
- Then, have a bath with this water. Instead of warm water, you can mix in normal water.
Read more: 12 Beauty Advantages Of Baking Soda On Skin
Honey is beneficial for health, skin as well as hair problems. It comes with anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that are enough to help heal the irritation. Honey is very effective in coping with inflammations and itchiness on the skin. Itching and burning are one of the main symptoms of chickenpox and honey can act perfect for it. Moreover, it prevents scars as applied regularly. Follow these step by step directions below:
- Firstly, apply honey in a thin layer to chickenpox.
- Keep it on around 20 to 30 minutes and then rinse with water.
- This process should be repeated 3-4 times a day.
A combination of coriander and carrots is regarded as one of the best home remedies for chickenpox. Both coriander and carrots are rich in vitamins like A and C as well as other nutrients needed to encourage the immune system. It is also high in antioxidants that aid in the healing process:
- Boil one pot of water at first and add coriander leaves (1 ½ cups) and chopped carrots (1 cup).
- Reduce the heat and simmer fifteen minutes. Then, remove from the heat and strain.
- Consume once a day for one month for better and faster results.
- Or, you can eat boiled carrots with coriander leaves
Neem leaves can combat the bacteria causing chickenpox while relieving itching. Neem leaves consist of antiviral agents, which has the capacity to combat varicella zoster virus. Plus, the properties present in neem leaves are useful in reducing the burning sensations and itchiness caused due to chicken pox. Moreover, meem is always regarded as a magnificent herb that comprises of immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory, anti-malarial, anti-hyperglycaemic, antibacterial, anti-ulcer, antimutagenic, antiviral, as well as anti-carcinogenic properties. Thus, it is one of the most effective home remedies for chickenpox in children and adults.
- You can take a handful of fresh leaves of neem and crush them. Then, make a paste by mixing them with water.
- Later apply to chickenpox and rinse with water after 5 minutes. Don’t use this method on children
- Or you can add fresh leaves of neem to the patient’s bathwater.
Brown vinegar has been used for curing several health and skin conditions for long times. Due to its acetic acid, brown vinegar kills the bacteria causing chickenpox. Besides, it boosts the immune system to fight against chicken pox virus. Moreover, the mild corrosive found in it helps to kill the destructive microscopic organisms causing the chickenpox. Here’s the method:
- You need to prepare a cup of brown vinegar and add it to lukewarm bathwater.
- Next, mix well and then soak for ten minutes to prevent scars and heal lesions.
Basically, tea tree oil can give the much-needed cure to the tingling, pain, and itching related to chicken pox, decreasing the potential for scarring. It also is well known for its anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antiseptic agents and can give effective relief to the itching and inflammation caused due to the virus. Thus, you shouldn’t skip this solution when seeking the best and most effective home remedies for chickenpox. In order to make use of tea tree oil as home remedies for chickenpox, you can follow two methods below:
- Add tea tree oil (a few drops) to a warm bath water.
- Then, soak for few minutes or take a bath.
- Firstly, mix 4 drops of tea tree oil with a tbsp of any oils like almond, olive, or coconut oil.
- After this, apply the mixture with the help of a cotton ball to chickenpox.
- Keep it on for ten minutes and then wipe by using clean wet cloth.
- Repeat this solution regularly.
- Note: You need to add less tea tree oil and more carrier oil if your skin is sensitive.
All the essential oils present in this recipe comprise of antiviral and anti-fungal agents that help fight off the chickenpox virus. Follow the recipe below to make this homemade cream:
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of tea tree oil
- 2 teaspoons of Bentonite clay
- 1 tablespoon of Witch hazel
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of naouli oil
- 3 drops of Ravensara oil
- 2 drops of clove oil
- 1 drop of rosemary oil
- In a food processor or blender, mix all ingredients together.
- Later apply this mixture to on the blisters and rashes to get cure from the itching.
- You should repeat this process 3 times a day.
For looking for relaxation and relief from chickenpox, oatmeal is one of the best-suggested home remedies for chickenpox. Oatmeal bath is suggested by many experts to treat the itching pains as it has no side effects. It contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which relieve itching and pain while helping to fight the virus causing chickenpox. Further, it helps in preventing post-chickenpox scarring.
- First of all, grind oatmeal (2 cups) into a fine powder. Stir into water (2 liters) and leave it to sit 15 minutes.
- Then, pour oatmeal into a cloth bag and tightly tie.
- After this, put the bag into the bathwater and now swish around until bath turns milky.
- Soak into bathwater for fifteen minutes to get cure from itching.
- It’s recommended to repeat this solution regularly.
- Alternatively, you can add oatmeal powder (2cups) in bath tub directly and soak for fifteen minutes.
- 2 cup of oats
- 4 drops of Roman chamomile oil
- 4 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of Naouli oil
- 2 drops of clove oil
- 2 drops of rosemary oil
- In a sock, put two cups of oats. Later take the Roman chamomile oil and lavender oil.
- Then, take two drops each of naouli, rosemary oil, and clove.
- Pour all the oils gradually on that sock one after another.
- Put a tub under one tap and open that sock and then hold it under that tap. After that, open the tap.
- Take a bath in the water to remove chicken pox fast.
Read more: 11 Health Advantages Of Oatmeal
Basically, aloe vera gel’s effect soothing and calming. It is natural healing, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and it moisturizes and heals skin to prevent scars. Follow these instructions to decrease the symptoms of chickenpox effectively.
- At first, cut open a fresh leaf of aloe vera and directly apply this gel to chickenpox.
- Leave it to absorb and dry completely.
- To cure chickenpox, you should apply regularly.
Generally, Epsom salt is one mineral compound having magnesium and sulfate, which eliminate pain and inflammation as well. Epsom salt is a pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate. Epsom salt also has great benefits for relaxing and soothing skin. Particularly, it is effective in treating redness and itchiness of red blisters, caused due to chickenpox. Plus, it is found really useful against adult chickenpox.
- Prepare two cups of Epsom salt and one gallon of warm water and mix them well.
- Soak one clean cloth and then wring excess water.
- After that, apply it to the affected areas and keep on until cool.
- To treat chickenpox, repeat a few times a day.
- Add Epsom salt (2 cups) to a warm bath and mix it well until the salt dissolved completely.
- Soak for fifteen minutes and then pat dry gently.
- You should soak frequently until you get cure from chickenpox as well as its symptoms.
This solution combines this salt with different essential oils, which contain strong antimicrobial properties. Thus, it is effective in removing the chickenpox virus.
- ¼ cup of Epsom salt
- 3 drops of lavender oil
- 3 drops of thieves oil
- 3 drops of Melaleuca oil
- Take the Epsom salt and add three drops each of lavender, thieves, and melaleuca oil to it.
- Wait for half an hour to ensure that the Epsom salt takes in all these oils completely.
- After this, add the Epsom salt to your bathtub filled with water.
- Soak the body in that water for about twenty minutes. Finally, slowly dry yourself by using a tidy towel.
This combination alleviates the irritation and itching sensation caused by chickenpox. Coconut oil consists of fatty acids that heal the skin quickly while the lavender oil contains antifungal and antiseptic qualities that help to treat the chickenpox blisters. Thus, this is one of the most excellent home remedies for chickenpox.
- 2 tbsp of lavender oil
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- In a bowl, mix well the two ingredients. Then, apply this mixture on the affected body.
- Let it dry properly. To treat chickenpox effectively, repeat this process for twice every day.
There are a lot of home remedies for chickenpox mentioned in this post, please keep reading it!
Ginger contains the medicinal properties that are used to fight many diseases consisting of chickenpox. Ginger consists of the antibacterial property that keeps the blisters and rashes of the disease free from bacteria. Besides, it helps in decreasing the inflammation’s intensity. However, ginger shouldn’t be suggested to small children who are suffering from chickenpox.
- Firstly, add about ¼ – ½ cup of powdered ginger to one warm bath. Later soak for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- At last, pat dry your skin after bath.
- Boil a cup of water at first and stir in 1 tsp of peeled & minced ginger root.
- After that, reduce the heat and simmer five minutes.
- Remove from the heat, strain, and now stir in 1 tbsp each of lemon juice and honey.
- Drink it about twice to thrice a day to deal with chickenpox.
Read more: 16 Health Advantages Of Fresh Ginger Juice
Calendula flowers are also regarded as one of the greatest home remedies for chickenpox. Calendula comes with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can eliminate the fungus and bacteria. Additionally, it helps to lessen the inflammation of your skin due to chickenpox. They also kill the bacteria causing chickenpox while reducing swelling, itching, and redness. Last but not least, they stimulate the collagen production, which helps in healing skin faster.
- 2 tbsp of calendula flowers
- 1 tsp of hazel leaves
- Firstly, add the calendula flowers together with the hazel leaves to one cup of water and mix well.
- Leave it overnight and the following day, blend this mixture well to create a smooth paste.
- Then, put this paste on the rashes or blisters of the chicken pox.
- Let it dry and wash it off with the help of normal water.
- Follow this method regularly to get rid of chickenpox soon.
Green peas are also considered as one of the most excellent home remedies for chickenpox.
- 200gms of green peas
- Take peas in one bowl and add enough amount of water to help cover these peas while boiling. Leave the water to come to a boil.
- Let it boil till these peas get delicate and then empty the water into one alternate bowl and afterward, spare this for next use
- Now pulverize the green peas to create it like one paste. Later apply this paste on your affected skin.
- Leave it on for 1-1.5 hours and wash it off by using water. Now sponge with that water you leave aside after boiling.
- Following this process regularly will assist you to remove the problem.
Basil comprises of an anesthetic agent named eugenol, which eliminates irritation and itching while murdering bacteria that cause infection. To make use of basil for home remedies for chickenpox removal, follow these steps:
- Boil water at first and stir in 1 handful of fresh leaves of basil.
- Lower the heat and let simmer three minutes.
- Then, remove from the heat and leave it to steep at least ten minutes.
- Afterward, strain and store in the refrigerator.
- Presently soak a washcloth in this water and apply it to chickenpox.
- Keep the remaining water in the refrigerator for next usage.
- This solution should be followed once a day to deal with chickenpox.
Read more: 9 Health Advantages Of Basil
Using jasmine flower for chickenpox treatment is a popular remedy in Thailand. Here are few methods to use these jasmine flowers for treating the chickenpox.
Method 1: Jasmine Bath
- Handful of jasmine flower
- Rice water
- Firstly, take some jasmine flower and grind them to obtain the raw extract
- Then, add the jasmine extract to some rice water and stir vigorously.
- Add the rice water to the lukewarm water at that point that you are going to have a bath with that water.
- Take your regular using this water. Gently pat dry the skin and follow this bath regularly to dispose of the chickenpox completely.
- Jasmine tea
- Place a jasmine tea bag in one cup and then over it pour high temp water.
- Let it steep it for a couple of minutes and then remove tea bag.
- Consuming this tea about 2 – 4 times per day on a regular basis will yield you the good results over this problem.
These herbal teas help to boost up your immune system, thus helping fight off chickenpox. In addition, they function as mild sedatives, alleviating pain, itching, and irritation.
- Lemon salve
- St.John’s wort
- Sacred basil
- Pau d’arco
- Boil one cup of water at first and stir in one tbsp of herb of your choice.
- Reduce the heat and simmer five minutes. Remove from the heat and leave it to steep 10 minutes.
- Finally, strain and drink it.
- You can also add lemon juice, cinnamon powder or honey as per your preference.
- Consume this tea 3 times a day to treat chickenpox.
One of the best home remedies for chickenpox you should not ignore is sandalwood oil. Sandalwood oil with antiviral and antibacterial properties helps to kill the virus causing the chickenpox. Plus, it has natural smoothing and anti-inflammatory operators that help in soothing the pain, bothered, and itching skin. Turmeric in this remedy consists of anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities that can help to remove the chickenpox.
- 3 to 7 drops of sandalwood oil
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Add the turmeric powder to 1 tablespoon of sandalwood oil and make a paste.
- Then, apply on the affected skin.
- Wait for around half an hour to completely get dry and thereafter wash it with water
- Gently pat dry your skin at the final step.
- You should apply this remedy regularly to treat this chickenpox effectively.
Here’s the method for you to follow:
- 3 drops of hoodlums oil
- 3 drops of lavender oil
- 3 drops of melaleuca oil
- 1/4 cup of Epsom salt
- Take 3 drops each of lavender, melaleuca and hoodlums oil and add it to Epsom salt.
- Leave it to sit for half an hour. Then, add this into the bath water and now mix it well.
- Allow this water to get soaked into the body for about 30 minutes.
- Gently pat dry the skin with the help of a clean towel.
This is the first out of the most effective and safest home remedies for chickenpox in adults and in children that I want to reveal in this entire writing.
When people get chickenpox, they can make use of 100 to 120g fresh purslane juice. You just need to rinse the purslane carefully and take its juice to drink throughout the day.
Purslane juice has cooling and anti-inflammatory effects; prevents pimples, and it is very good for people with chickenpox.
Read more: Moles, Warts, And Skin Tags Removal to learn how to get rid of scars after chickenpox and get smooth skin.
- Rice 80g
- Red bean 30g
- Green bean 30g
- Minced pork 50g
How to Make And Apply:
Cook all of these ingredients together with an appropriate amount of water to make a jelly soup. Eat this dish on an empty stomach.
This is an easily digestible soup, and it is very good for chickenpox with mild fever.
- Red bean
How to Make And Apply:
Wash all of the ingredients, and cook them as porridge with an appropriate amount of water. Eat this dish 3 times a day with a little white sugar or rock sugar.
This soup has low detoxification effects, and it is especially suitable for people who have just gotten out of chickenpox but still have fever, red yellow urine, fatigue, and loss of appetite.
- Green bean
- Water chestnut
- Bamboo Shoot
How To Make And Apply:
Cook these ingredients with 1 liter of water to take 650ml of decoction and drink twice throughout the day (if your children have asthma or cough, do not use chestnut and carrot).
This soup works to soothe the hateful feeling due to the condition and cool down the body, so it is very useful for people with chicken pox with fever.
After the condition is healed, the wounds begin to become dry and the new skin cells will be formed, so chickenpox patients should use fresh turmeric juice right away to treat the concave scars after chickenpox.
How To Make And Apply:
Wash the turmeric and lightly scrape the outer shell so that the juice will be excreted from the inside. Apply it all around the scar area once a day before bedtime, leave it overnight and wash in the morning, and then continue to apply a new layer of turmeric juice. In fact, this is one of the best home remedies for chickenpox in children and adults that people should learn and make use for good.
Foods rich in vitamin C include lemons, oranges, avocados, strawberries, kiwi, pears, watermelon, cucumber, tomato…
Vitamin C rich foods can help to enhance the body resistance; it has wonderful anti-infective effects, accelerating the production of collagen to prevent concave scar.
It is necessary for chickenpox patients to add sufficient amount of water for the body every. You can use water, but the best fluids to consume for you are the juices from fresh fruits. Juice, in addition to adding water to the body, contains nutrients which can help to strengthen the immune system. Nutritious juices you can make use include orange juice and carrot juice. Fruits, such as oranges, watermelon, kiwi, bananas, and peaches will also help to remove dead skin cells after healing the chickenpox disease.
II. Home Remedies For Chickenpox In Adults And Children – Foods To Avoid:
Here are the foods people with chickenpox should avoid eating:
While people are infected, they should avoid eating oily foods, hot foods, and the ones with too high nutritional properties. Avoid eating foods high in fat such as nuts, roasted peanuts, roasted melon seeds, fried chicken, fried cakes, fried foods, animal fats…
People suffering from chickenpox should avoid eating spicy spices such as ginger, onion, garlic, onions, leeks, peppers, pepper, cumin, curry, mustard, and coriander; meat such as goat, chicken, ducks, geese, eels, seafood (shrimp, crab, oysters, snails …), litchi, longan, plum, ripe mango, jackfruit, Japanese persimmon, cherry, water spinach…
If you think that the best home remedies for chickenpox in adults and children that I revealed in the article above are very useful that you and even other people should learn and apply to stop the current chickenpox problem, and if you want to share this list widely, you should not hesitate to do this by giving other chickenpox patients this full writing. In fact, as an author, I welcome all of my readers’ personal opinion, so leave your feedbacks and comments in the form below.This is the list of 28 best home remedies for chickenpox in children and in adults that are proven useful and safe to apply for readers of VKool.com and other people who are also suffering from the terrible and hateful chickenpox. These home remedies for chickenpox are proven 100% based on nature and very effective so that people should not worry about their ability to fight against the condition and the possible side effects.