Chiggers are also called as berry bugs. They are the red mites or harvest mites and are tiny red mites, which are the members of the arachnid family.
Typically, you can see chiggers at outdoor areas, particularly in forests, grassy fields as well as slightly moist places next to streams or lakes. The tiny claws aid them in tightly attaching to animals and the human body.
Because chiggers are very tiny and you only can see them by using a magnifying glass, seeing them by naked eyes and protecting from being bitten are very difficult for you.
You cannot even know when being bitten by a chigger. Nevertheless, you can early realize this within hours as soon as its symptoms appear. You will suffer from some common symptoms such as swelling, intense itching, red bumps, and rashes on your skin.
The bites of chiggers do not cause any harmful effect to your health. But they can make you feel uncomfortable or even lead to sleeplessness. In most cases, chiggers bite around the ankles, skin folds or waist.
You have to spend 1 to 3 weeks on healing the chigger bites. However, you may try applying some simple remedies at home to control pain, swelling, and itching in the meantime.
Today, in this writing, VKool.com will provide you with a valuable source of information about top 13 natural home remedies for chigger bites on the human without any side effect. This writing shows you a list of 13 natural and effective tips to deal with chigger bites by using natural ingredients from reliable sources. However, this is only for the informational purpose. You’d better not apply without the doctor’s instruction. Keep reading this writing to find the one which is right for you!
Top 13 Natural Home Remedies For Chigger Bites On Human
1. Hot Shower
Once you see any symptom of chigger bites, you firstly take a hot shower.
Hot water will make chiggers attaching on the body fall off and also reduce the reactions of your skin from their bites.
- At first, you gently rub the body well by using a mild antiseptic soap while showering.
- After that, you use a soft towel to pat your body dry. Remember do not vigorously rub your body because this can cause more pain and rashes.
- Next, you apply a mild moisturizer or a few drops of olive oil to help your skin stay hydrated.
Note: Avoid using very hot water for taking a shower. Besides, you have to use hot water to wash your clothes.
2. Vicks VapoRub
After you take the hot shower, let use Vicks Vaporub. This is a popular medical product that can help you to instantly get a relief from itchy chigger bites. Thanks to the cooling menthol content in it, Vicks Vaporub will affect to the itch receptors in your skin and thereby relieving itching. In addition, it will also reduce the chance of having blisters.
- You simply mix a few Vicks Vaporub well with a little salt.
- You mix them properly and apply this mixture directly to your affected area.
- Do this process again if you see any inflammation or feel swelling.
3. Baking Soda
Another effective home remedies for chigger bites is baking soda. This kitchen ingredient has the ability to ease rashes along with itchiness caused by chigger bites. It works as a natural and powerful acid neutralizer, helping you to reduce itching. Moreover, baking soda decreases the chance of having an infection.
- You just add baking soda (1 cup) in a bathtub containing full of cool water.
- You stir them well and soak yourself in this baking water for about 15 to 10 minutes. Use a soft towel to pat yourself dry.
- Keep doing this once every day.
- You mix the baking soda (about 2 cups) with enough water to get a thick paste.
- Then you apply this baking soda paste directly on your bitten areas.
- Keep waiting for about 7 to 10 minutes and use cool water to wash it off.
- Remember not to apply this way more than 1 or 2 times a day.
Note: Avoid using baking soda on open wounds or broken skin.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Using apple cider vinegar is one of the great home remedies for chigger bites. Thanks to the anti-itching and antiseptic properties, apple cider vinegar will aid in getting rid of itching, swelling, and inflammation.
- Now, you pour 2 cups of unfiltered and raw ACV into the lukewarm water contained in a bathtub.
- You soak yourself in this and relax for 15 minutes.
- After that, you pat your skin dry and use a light moisturizer to keep it moisturized.
- You should do this process once or twice daily.
- To deal with localized itching, you put the raw and unfiltered ACV on a cotton ball and rub this cotton ball directly on your bitten areas.
- You wait for 30 minutes and use cool water to wash off.
- Keep applying this remedy 1 or 2 times on a daily basis for several days.
If you want to know more natural home remedies for chigger bites, stay with us for our next post!
5. Olive Oil
You may also use olive oil to get a relief from the inflammation and irritation. Coconut oil has a rich source of vitamin E and contains antioxidants reducing itching and facilitating the healing process.
- Once you rinse the bitten areas with water, let put some drops of olive oil on it.
- Keep applying this olive oil method a few times per day.
- Besides, you can mix olive oil with honey at an equal ratio.
- Then you apply this mixture on your affected area for 3 or 4 times every day till it completely heals.
- Or you can apply the mixture of tea tree oil and a tbsp of olive oil on your skin for several times daily.
6. Indian Lilac
Also called as neem, Indian lilac can also assist in reducing the discomforts related to chigger bites. Indian lilac contains anti-irritant and anti-inflammatory properties, which is very beneficial in easing inflammation and itching caused due to chigger bites. In addition, it decreases the chance of having an infection.
- Now, you put a handful of Indian lilac leaves in a pot containing two to three cups of water.
- You allow this water boil and simmer it for about 15 minutes.
- Next, you strain the water and let it cool.
- You use this neem water to rinse your affected area twice per day within a few days.
- You may also apply a lotion or cream having neem on your skin for a few times per day.
If you are finding some natural home remedies for chigger bites, “chamomile” is the answer for you. This herb has a powerful source of anti-inflammatory properties as well as anti-irritant properties that can soothe your skin, reduce itching, ease inflammation as well as stimulate the healing process. Here are 2 options with using chamomile that you can apply as home remedies for chigger bites.
- You prepare the chamomile tea (about 2 cups) and put it in the refrigerator to make cool.
- Next, you soak a cotton ball in this cool tea and put it directly on your skin where you are bitten.
- Let it sit on there for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Keep repeating it 2 times daily for a few days.
- You prepare 4 to 6 drops of chamomile oil and 1 tablespoon of castor or coconut oil.
- You mix 2 these oils well and put it on your skin for 4 or 5 times daily or till you reduce rashes and itching.
8. Aloe Vera
Thanks to the excellent anti-inflammatory properties, aloe Vera can be beneficial in reducing inflammation, pain, and swelling. Plus, it contains vitamin E helping the skin to stay hydrated, which will ease itching.
- You take an aloe Vera leaf and then extract its gel.
- You rub this gel directly on your affected area and wait for about 15 minutes.
- Use warm water to wash it off and do this again for 3 or 4 times on a daily basis.
- With this option, you take half a cup of aloe Vera gel and then put some drops of olive oil and peppermint oil in it.
- You stir them well and apply this on your affected area.
- Let it sit on your skin for 17 to 20 minutes and use lukewarm water to rinse off.
- Keep repeating this kind of home remedies for chigger bites option for 2 or 3 times every day.
Learn more: 20 Tips on how to use aloe vera for sunburn
Oatmeal has anti-irritating, soothing, and anti-inflammatory properties that will instantly relieve itching (one of the popular signs of chigger bites).
Experts recommend that you should use colloidal oatmeal. It means that the oats are ground into a very extremely fine powder.
- You firstly add the colloidal oatmeal (1 cup) in a bathtub containing full of lukewarm water.
- You stir them well until the granules evenly distribute.
- Now, you soak yourself in this oatmeal water and relax for at least 15 minutes.
- You should repeat this process twice or thrice daily, which depends on of your condition.
10. Cold Compresses
This is also another of the effective home remedies for chigger bites. In fact, a cold compress may assist you in relieving the itching related to chigger bites. This method will provide you with a numbing effect, reducing the itching sensation.
- You simply put a few ice cubes in a cloth and wrap.
- Next, apply this compress directly to the chigger bites for about 10 minutes.
- After that, let take a break and do it again if you need to ease itching.
- Another option among home remedies for chigger bites for you is to soak the bitten area in cool water to help in alleviating the itching.
Home Remedies For Chigger Bites – Additional Tips You Should Remember:
- Because fall and summer are the good times for chigger bites, you should notice more when going to areas having woods.
- You should not brush up against vegetation when hiking
- Remember to wear long pants and long sleeves when you go to the woods.
- Do not forget to apply mosquito repellent before you go out.
- You may also use anti-itch creams, calamine lotion, or Listerine mouthwash to relieve itching.
- Remember not to scratch your affected skin area because it can cause an infection.
- If the infection does not have any improvement, it is very important to immediately see your doctor.
Recommended articles: How to get rid of bed bug bites on your skin naturally – 20 tips
To get more information about various health conditions, go to visit our main Health page. After reading the writing of 13 natural home remedies for chigger bites on human, hope that you can learn more some simple and easy ways to deal with chigger bites. All these remedies are natural, effective, and safe for treating this condition. But you do not forget to try these remedies only after you carry out a small test, check your reaction. If you have any question, please freely leave them below, I will answer you soon. Also, if you know other natural home remedies for chigger bites on human, please share them with us.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- Natural organic skin care recipes: 24 easy recipes
- 21 Ways How To Use Ginger For Acne Treatment
- 22 best weight loss tips for men and women to stay on track
- 34 Benefits of sesame oil for hair, skin & health and its uses
- How to prevent psoriasis outbreaks with diet – 7 diet tips
- The sample vestibular migraine diet plan is revealed
- Get rid tattoo naturally review – will Jason’s guide work?
- 33 homemade natural beauty tips for legs – act now!