Are you suffering from dry eye condition that makes you uncomfortable? Do you want to know how to get rid of dry eyes forever without medication? Recently, VKool.com made a writing of top 20 natural home remedies for dry eyes. This writing is a collection of simple, effective and healthy ways for treating dry eyes from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Keep reading this writing to learn more!
Top 20 Natural Home Remedies For Dry Eyes
1. Replenish The Foods That Are Good For Eye Health
- Foods that are rich in vitamin A are the liver of chicken, duck, pork, fish, eggs, duck eggs, carp, milk …
- Foods containing carotene: fruits with yellow or red colors: carrots, papaya, pumpkin, tomato … carotene is also found in the dark green vegetables such as sweet butter vegetables, spinach, green broccoli, and more.
- Foods containing vitamin C such as oranges, lemons, tangerines, grapefruit, strawberries, guava, grapes, pineapple, soursop, mangosteen, and more. Vitamin C is also found in vegetables such as spinach, white cabbage, peppers, onions, tomatoes.
- Foods that are rich in vitamin E including soybean oil, sunflower, sesame, peanuts, beans sprouts (mung bean sprouts). Vitamin E also is in the nuts, asparagus, milk, animal liver and especially fish fat
- Foods rich in lutein: including corn (maize), spinach, kale, eggs of all kinds
- Foods rich in selenium include seafood such as fish, shrimp, crabs, clams, oysters, snails, mussels. Selenium also has in eggs, sunflower oil, and sesame oil
2. Sleep 7-8 Hours A Day
You should get enough sleep 7-8 hours a day. This is a way to help your eyes recover after a day of study and work. When staying up late, your eye will be sunken and when you are lack of sleep in a long period of time, you will have dark circles in the lower lids of your eyes. When you are healthy, get enough sleep, the eyes will be flexible and have more spirit. However, the gaming or working on the computer for hours will damage to your eyes.
3. Light And Eyes
- When you watch television, you should not turn off the light, by the darkness of the room and the light of the TV screen will cause eyestrain. It is best to have a lamp near the TV to see images more clearly and your eyes will not have to regulate.
- When you read the book, you should have perturbed lamps, lighting directly into the page. Many people like reading on the bed, so they should have bed headboard lights to prevent them from getting eyestrain.
- When you are working with a computer, you should have a bulb that is able to light your entire room and a bulb that lights straight down the keyboard.
- When you go to the road, you should have eye protection glasses to avoid dust and sunlight to the eyes. You can wear sunglasses to help protect your eyes from the sunlight because exposure to the sun may cause the dryness or even make it worse.
- Blink often: Blinking will spread the fluid across your eyeballs’ surface. You need to make a point to blink regularly, particularly when reading, watching television, or using a computer.
4. Washing Eyelids To Control Inflammation & Reduce Dry Eyes
Frequent eyelid washing can be useful for people who have blepharitis & other eye conditions, which cause eyelid inflammation, which blocks the flow of the oil to the eye. Here are some simple ways to wash your eyelids:
- Use a mild soap on the eyelids. You can use the baby shampoo or other types of soap recommended by doctors. Then, you put the soap on clean fingertips & gently you massage the closed eyes that are near the base of the eyelashes. Then, you rinse the soap entirely away.
- Use a warm washcloth to eyes. You wet your clean cloth with the warm water. You hold the cloth on your eyes for about 5 minutes. Then you re-wet your cloth with the warm water when it is cool. Next, you gently rub this washcloth on your eyelids to help loosen any debris.
- Clean the eyelids with the mild wash. You use an eyelid wash or use the water mixed with your baby shampoo & then you massage gently the base of eyelashes while eyes are closed. You rinse thoroughly.
5. Change Your Environment
If your dry eyes syndrome is caused by environmental factors, you need to make a few changes that can make all the difference. You also need to avoid smoking or avoid being around people who are smoking. The windy conditions can dry your eyes, so you need to stay indoors when it is windy. In addition, you can use an appropriate eyewear that helps protect your eyes from the wind when you are engaging in certain activities such as riding in a convertible, riding a bike or riding a motorcycle, and skiing. You also need to get a humidifier for your own home to help add the moisture to the air.
6. Replenish Omega-3 Fatty Acids To Your Daily Diet
Many studies show that eating more foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids can relieve the symptoms of your dry eyes. This fat is known to lower inflammation in human body. It can help reduce dry eyes by alleviating eye inflammation, allowing for higher-quality tears and more tear production. In addition, you can use omega-3 supplements or you can eat more foods that are rich in this nutrient, including:
- Ground flaxseed & flaxseed oil: the flaxseed oil is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids & it is helpful for treating dry eyes. This oil can be directly consumed or with drinks and fruits.
- Soybean oil
- Palm oil
- Chia seeds
- Fatty fish, including tuna, sardines, salmon, and mackerel
- Eggs that are supplemented with omega-3 fatty acids
According to many researchers, dry eye can be caused by the free radical damage (such as oxidative stress) in the human body caused by lack of exercise, aging, poor diet & unhealthy lifestyle factors including excess alcohol, smoking, medications & chronic stress. Some healthy foods that are the good sources of antioxidants can help you slow down your process of oxidation. You can get antioxidants into your body by eating multicolored vegetables and fruits such as spinach, kale, chard, acai berry, acerola cherries, goji berry, and more.
8. Green Tea Or Tea Bags
Tea has antioxidant properties that can help you to hydrate the eyes. You just need to take a cup of the hot water & then you soak 2 to 3 tea bags for some minutes. Next, you put 2 cotton balls in this cup & you allow it to soak the tea. Then, you let the tea get warm. Next, you put these warm cotton balls on each eyelid & you leave for some minutes. Finally, you put these tea bags on your closed dry eyes for about 5 minutes.
According to Dr. Grossman, potassium is generally very low in patients who have dry eye. Therefore, to improve the dry eye condition, you need to increase potassium level in your body by eating foods rich in potassium such as kelp, dulse, pecans, bananas, raisins, wheat germ, almonds, dates, figs & avocados.
Zinc is known as an element in the metabolic functions of numerous enzymes in the eyes’ vascular coating. To increase the zinc intake into the body, you can take zinc supplements, or eat foods rich in zinc such as brewer's yeast, legumes, liver, mushrooms, fish, kelp, sunflower seeds & whole grains.
11. Pure Water
Drinking more water will help you be able to improve your dry eye syndrome easily. Even though the water typically is not considered as a food, it is one of the most essential nutrients for our body, and for almost people who are suffering from chronic dehydration. Researchers recommend that 20% of the water of our body needs should get from the foods we eat, & the rest should get from the purified drinking water.
If you want to discover other natural home remedies for dry eyes, keep reading!
12. Castor Oil
The castor oil is also known to work as the water retainer. Castor oil is one of good remedies for dry eyes. You just need to place 1 drop of the castor oil in your eyes. A research on castor oil & its optometric function indicated that this oil is very good for people with dry eyes in case of the meibomian gland dysfunction.
Cucumber will provide the cool relief for eyes, so it is the best choice for people with dry eyes. To make a treatment for dry eyes using cucumber, you just need to cut the slices of fresh cucumbers and then you let it be cool for some minutes in the refrigerator. Next, you place the slices on your closed eyes and then leave them for about 20 minutes. The cucumber will help you stimulate the moisture and then relax your tired eyes. The chilled cucumbers automatically numb the dry sensation.
14. Lavender Oil
To make a treatment for dry eyes using lavender oil, you need to prepare 2 to 3 drops of lavender oil, 2 cotton balls and the warm water.
Step by step directions to make this lavender oil treatment for dry eyes:
- You take a bowl of the warm water
- Then, you add 2 to 3 drops of the lavender oil into it.
- You dip 2 cotton balls into this mixture.
- You need to squeeze out the excess oil from cotton balls
- You place them on your closed eyes. This treatment can help you regain your lost moisture & oil to deal with dry eyes. It also provides you with the smoothing effect to your eyes. It is also known as an efficient home remedy.
15. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is one of common ingredients found in natural remedies for dry eyes. To make a treatment for dry eyes using lemon juice, you need to prepare:
- Tomato puree or tomato crush
- Orange lentil flour
- Lemon juice
- Turmeric powder
Step by step directions to make this lemon juice treatment for dry eyes:
- You mix tomato puree or tomato crush, orange lentil flour with lemon juice and turmeric powder to make a paste
- You apply this paste under your eyes for effective results.
- In case you are allergic to the turmeric, you can use tamarind powder instead.
16. Aloe Vera
One of other remedies for dry eyes is using aloe vera. You just need to extract the aloe vera juice from its leaves and then you freeze it. Next, you mix this aloe vera juice with a little pf cold water. Then, you soak 2 cotton balls into the mixture & you place over your closed eyes for instant relief.
17. Coriander Leaves
To use this ingredient for treating dry eyes, you just need to grind some coriander leaves & then you extract juice out of them. Next, you use this coriander leaf juice as a daily eye drop at least 2 times a day. This remedy can provide a relief from itchy & gritty eyes.
Potato also is often used in treating for dry eyes. Here are step by step instructions to use potatoes for treating dry eyes:
- You grate some potatoes
- Then, you place it on your eyes before you go to bed at night.
- These potatoes will provide the cooling effect that can help you hydrate your eyes & hence provide the relief from dry eyes.
19. Tamarind Seeds
Tamarind seed is one of the best remedies for dry eyes. To make this remedy, you just need to prepare some tamarind seeds with the water
- You soak some tamarind seeds into the warm water.
- Next, you strain it.
- Then, you use the extracts around your eyes for getting fast relief.
20. Almond Oil And Castor Oil Recipe
Both castor oil and almond oil make moisture and prevent excessive evaporation. Firstly, you mix these oils together, then, you just need to apply these oils under the eyes before you go to bed at night. However, you should not apply this mixture throughout the day time because it may blur your vision.
To see all of our writings about natural remedies for health problems and tips to prevent certain diseases, go to our main Home Health page. After reading the writing of top 20 natural home remedies for dry eyes, hope that this writing helps you find out the best remedy for your dry eye condition. However, it is not intended to give medical advice, so consult with your medical practitioner before following some of 20 natural home remedies for dry eyes presented in this article. If you have any question, or you know other effective home remedies for dry eyes, please leave them below.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- Beat ulcers review – can Tammy Myers’ ulcer treatment work?
- 14 Typical Minerals And Vitamins For Pregnancy Conception
- How to prevent heat stroke naturally at home – 15 tips
- Skin In Summer – Don’t Frown your Frons
- How to build a 50mph electric bike pdf review – fast electric bike
- Health tips for men: 15 best tips
- How to get toned abs fast for men and for women
- 16 Best anti inflammatory juice recipes