An enlarged prostate is called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Some of the symptoms of enlarged prostate include increased frequency of urination at night, a weak urine stream, trouble starting a stream of urine, continued dribbling of urine and a feeling of incomplete bladder emptying. There are several effective treatments for enlarged prostate. Do you want to know which home remedy will help you treat enlarged prostate? If your answer is “Yes”, then you should read this writing. In this article, VKool.com will show you top 22 natural home remedies for enlarged prostate. The writing is collected from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Keep reading this writing to understand more!
Top 22 Natural Home Remedies For Enlarged Prostate Are Revealed
Here are 22 best home remedies for enlarged prostate you are looking for:
1. Saw palmetto
5. Bee Pollen
13. Kegel Exercises
15. Sitz Bath
16. Stinging Nettle
17. Corn Silk
19. Pumpkin Seeds
21. Zinc Supplement
22. Dietary Changes
The first of home remedies for enlarged prostate is to apply saw palmetto. Saw palmetto comes from a kind of palm tree. For centuries, people has used this herb in traditional medicine to aid in relieving urinary symptoms which include those caused due to an enlarged prostate. The NIH (National Institutes of Health) highlights in some small-scale studies that saw palmetto has the ability to relieve enlarged prostate symptoms. Besides, saw palmetto is really safe and it doesn’t cause serious side effects while applying. Hence, you can have an intake of saw palmetto supplement to control your condition.
The extract of rye grass pollen is made from 3 kinds of grass pollen: corn, rye, and timothy. A review published in BJU International indicated that men having an intake of rye grass pollen extract reported that they had a positive improvement in the symptoms of enlarged prostate, compared to those taking a placebo.
The supplement of rye grass pollen extract seems to be particularly effective for helping patients not suddenly wake up and use the bathroom at night. In addition, it can also aid men in urinating more completely, hence, the amount of urine left in their bladder afterward will be less.
Another of helpful home remedies for enlarged prostate is to use pygeum. This is extracted from the bark of Prunus Africana and has been widely applied for treating urinary problems for centuries. A small research found that pygeum combined with other herbs will help you a lot to reduce the frequency of using the bathroom in both day and night. In addition, it is also proven to be helpful for keeping the flow of urine in check. Being an herbal remedy, pygeum is very safe for human and does not cause any serious side effect. However, in some cases, it could cause stomach conditions.Garlic is a natural herb that can be very effective for dealing with an enlarged prostate. Click To Tweet Here is one of home remedies for enlarged prostate with garlic, which you can try applying:
- You just mix the garlic juice together with honey at the ratio of 2:1.
- Then you combine the mixture with lukewarm water and stir well till you have a complete mixture.
- You drink it this before you breakfast and the bedtime to have the expected results.
Bee pollen is able to reduce inflammation and assists in shrinking an enlarged prostate. In Europe, it has been applied for years to this problem. However, you should take special precaution while applying it because bee pollen may cause an allergic reaction in some certain individuals. People using bee pollen noted that the frequency of urine in both day and night decreased and the remaining volume of urine in their bladder also had a decrease after using bee pollen.
The powder of Triphala is also used for treating enlarged prostate. You can simply pour 1 tablespoon of Triphala powder and then add it in 250 milliliters of steaming water. Then you boil this mixture for 18 to 20 minutes. After that, you strain the liquid and consume when it still warms. This is one of the simple home remedies for enlarged prostate.
Soy-based foods are affordable and very beneficial in keeping prostate problems in check. Soy foods, in fact, are loaded with phytoestrogens which will be capable of helping to slow down the production of testosterone. Testosterone is a factor which contributes to aggravating the growth of prostate cancer by increasing blood capillaries or angiogenesis formation around the tumor.
The combination of 3 natural ingredients: Indian gooseberries, honey, and turmeric powder, is another of great home remedies for enlarged prostate. If you want to apply this, let follow some steps below:
- Firstly, you slice and remove the seeds from 10 to 15 Indian gooseberries.
- Then you grind the sliced Indian gooseberries with a bit of powdered turmeric and 2 teaspoons of honey.
- You combine all of them well and consume a tablespoon of this mixture early in every morning.
The seeds of the watermelon also have the ability to reduce the signs and symptoms of enlarged prostate. They can aid in flushing out your system and thereby enabling to fight against prostate related conditions.
- All you need to do is to collect all watermelon seeds.
- Then you boil a cup of water and then add these watermelon seeds in the boiling water.
- Steep this for a few minutes and remove all the watermelon seeds.
- You drink the liquid regularly to treat this problem more quickly.
Capers, apples, and onions along with several other vegetables has a flavonoid named quercetin. This flavonoid has been shown to be able to inhibit the cancer cell growth in the prostate of males. Another small study also indicated that people suffering from chronic prostatitis had a significant improvement in the signs of this condition.
Therefore, you should try to consume much more foods containing quercetin in the daily diet to aid in reducing your symptoms. This is really one of the simple and effective home remedies for enlarged prostate.
People who consumed more than 6 cups of coffee daily decreased the risk of an enlarged prostate by 20%. Besides, the chance of developing a prostate cancer form also reduced by 60%. A prostate cancer, in fact, can develop quickly and then spread to various organs in your body.
If you consume 1 to 3 cups per day, the risk of this condition can be decreased by 30%. Nevertheless, it is recommended by many medical experts that you should not consume too much coffee to keep this disease at bay because coffee can trigger several health problems if consuming it too much.
If you are looking some natural home remedies for enlarged prostate, using flax seeds is one of the best ways for you. Like fish oil, flaxseeds, actually, are very rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Hence, increasing the intake of flax seeds in your daily diet can help to maintain the health of prostate gland and keep inflammation at bay.
You may roast a handful of flax seeds and then grind them well. You consume a tablespoon of flax seed powder during your meals and sprinkle it over the curd, cereals, and cooked vegetables. In addition, you may also eat it plain if you want.
Kegel exercises are one of the best natural home remedies for enlarged prostate. They help clench and tighten specific pelvic muscles in order to control urination. For best result, the things you need to do:
- Empty your bladder and then lie on the floor with the knees bent and apart. After that, tighten your pelvic floor muscles for about 5 seconds and then relax them for at least 5 seconds. You had better repeat 10 to 20 times and about 3 or 4 times a day. Pelvic floor muscles will help stop your urine flow.
- Another choice is to squeeze the muscles in the anus and next to relax your pelvic floor muscles. It is recommended to follow it about 10 to 20 times, several times per day.
Staying active is effective for the prostate and overall health as well. A small amount of exercise like resistance and aerobic exercises can help decrease urinary problems caused by an enlarged prostate and can even stop this problem.
- Aerobic exercises will help you keep a healthy weight. Aerobic exercises like jogging, running, walking, tennis, rowing and basketball in your daily routine.
- Resistance exercises help improve muscle tone and strength, while decreasing inflammation. Examples of resistance exercises are push-ups, swimming and lifting weights. It is suggested to follow these for half an hour, a few times per week.
A contrast sitz bath is one of the effective home remedies for enlarged prostate. The hot bath will help reduce swelling, relax the pelvic muscles and promote healing. On the other hand, the cold bath also helps ease pain. What you need to do:
- Fill one bathtub with warm water and then add Epsom salt (½ cup) to it.
- Fill another bathtub with cold water and then add lavender essential oil (a few drops) to it.
- First step is to sit in this bathtub with hot water up to your waist for about three minutes.
- Next step is to sit in this bathtub with cold water up to your waist for about one minute.
You should do this two more times. It is suggested to enjoy a sitz bath several times each week.
Note: If you have acute bacterial prostatitis, you should not follow this treatment.
Stinging nettle is also considered as one of the excellent home remedies for enlarged prostate. The root has vital bioactive phytochemicals which help shrink prostate tissue. For optimal results, you can use it as follows.
- Add dried nettle leaves (1 teaspoon) to one cup of hot water. Steep for about 10 minutes and then strain it. It is recommended to consume this tea 2 or 3 times every day.
- Alternatively, you can also use a stinging nettle supplement. The suitable amount is 300 mg a day. You should consult your doctor for the correct dosage for your condition.
Corn silk is very good for fighting off symptoms of prostate enlargement. It works as a natural diuretic. In addition, it also helps relax the urinary muscles as well as lining. This leads to improved urine flow. For instant results, you can use it as follows.
- Mix 4 cups of water with the silk of 6 ears of fresh corn. Bring it to a boil and next to simmer for another ten minutes. Strain and then drink about three cups of this corn silk tea every day.
- Another option is to add corn silk extract (15 drops) to one cup of water and then consume it a few times per day.
If you want to discover other home remedies for enlarged prostate, keep reading this writing!
Unfiltered, raw apple cider vinegar contains astringent properties which help shrink swollen prostate glands. Plus, it also helps prevent complications of enlarged prostate such as UTIs as well as aids weight loss. To see best results, you should use this vinegar as following methods.
- Mix raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (1 to 2 tablespoons) and honey (1 tablespoon) in a glass of warm water. It is suggested to enjoy it two times daily.
- Another method is to add apple cider vinegar (1 cup) to a bathtub of water and then soak in it for at least 10 minutes. Enjoy this soothing bath several times per week.
Pumpkin seeds have diuretic properties that help urine flow. Especially, they are also rich in zinc. Furthermore, the seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids that encourage prostate functioning. To use this seeds as home remedies for enlarged prostate, you should do as follows.
- The best and simple way is to eat the seeds plain without adding any salt. A handful of seeds a day are enough.
- Another option is to put crushed fresh pumpkin seeds (about a handful) in a large cup. Next to add boiling water to the cup and then let it cool to room temperature. Lastly, strain and consume one cup of this tea, several times a week.
- You simply take 3 to 5 ounces of fresh celery root, 0.7 ounces of peeled pumpkin seeds, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, and the lemon juice from 1 fresh lemon. Then you mix all these ingredients together until they become a homogeneous mixture. Now, you simply consume 1 tablespoon of this mixture every night before going to bed.
One of the best natural home remedies for enlarged prostate is using tomatoes. Tomatoes are high in lycopene that helps get rid of the symptoms of BPH. In addition, lycopene also helps lower the level of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) associated with prostate inflammation as well as BPH. Moreover, it also helps shrink the enlarged prostate and lower bladder pressure as well. You can use them as follows for the best results.
- Include tomatoes and tomato products such as tomato sauce, juice and puree in your diet.
- Alternatively, you can also use a lycopene supplement, after asking your doctor.
Taking a zinc supplement is also an effective treatment for enlarged prostate. As you see, zinc is an important trace mineral that plays an essential role in the body’s cell growth and immune response as well. To get expected results, you can use it as follows.
- Take a total of 90 mg zinc supplement daily, taken in three 30 mg doses. Before using the supplement, consult your doctor.
- Also, you can eat zinc-rich foods such as crab, fortified breakfast cereals, oysters, beans, yogurt and cashews.
Eating a healthy diet can also help in reducing and controlling the symptoms of enlarged prostate. What you need to do:
- Eat 2 servings of fish high in omega-3 oils per week such as mackerel, tuna or salmon.
- You should add soy and soy-based foods in your daily diet.
- Follow a diet that is low in meats and starches.
- Include vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, kale, red bell peppers and Brussels sprouts in your diet.
- You had better use polyunsaturated fat in your cooking. Remember to use it in moderation.
Home Remedies For Enlarged Prostate – Additional Tips
- Try to empty the bladder as soon as you feel the urge to urinate.
- You should go to the bathroom to urinate, even when you do not feel the urge.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol, especially after dinner or two hours before your bedtime.
- Avoid drinking a lot of fluid all at once. Instead, take small sips throughout the day.
- Reduce tension and stress as these can lead to the urge to urinate more frequently.
- Limit your intake of red meats and fatty foods.
- Avoid prolonged sitting in the same position as your condition may be worsen.
- Breathing postures and exercises can help relieve symptoms of BPH and reduce stress as well.
To get more information related to effective home remedies for health problems, go to our main Home Remedies page. You should try these effective home remedies right away and be relieved of mastitis. You had better use above remedies for at least one or two months to receive positive results. After studying the writing of top 22 natural home remedies for enlarged prostate, hope that this article will help you find out the best solution to treat enlarged prostate fast and effectively. However, the writing is solely for the informational purpose, so you need to get advice from your doctor before applying any home remedy. If you have any question or comment, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible.
Related articles on enlarged prostate: