Eye infection is known as a general term that is applied to a wide range of different eye conditions. Almost eye infections are caused by allergies, viruses, bacteria or some other microbiological means. The common eye infection types are conjunctivitis or pink eye, trachoma and blepharitis. Eye infections may spread easily, leading to the larger problems such as the damage to the retina, blurred vision, optic nerve, even blindness or cornea. The general eye infection symptoms can include redness, excessive tearing, swelling, itching, pain, crusting around the eye, a discharge, and more.
If you are looking for a perfect solution to get rid of eye infections, then you should read this writing. In this article, VKool.com will show you top 16 natural home remedies for eye infections in humans. The writing is a collection of safe and effective solutions for treating eye conditions from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Keep reading this writing to learn more!
Top 16 Natural Home Remedies For Eye Infections In Humans
Home remedies for eye infections will be inexpensive, effective and easy solutions to reduce symptoms as well as cure uncomfortable eye infections. Here are all natural remedies that work best for eye infections caused by allergies or debris, but they can work effectively with bacterial and viral infections:
- Boric Acid
- Baby Shampoo
- Keep A Healthy Diet
- Suggestion For Eye Infection
- Guava Leaves
- Aloe Vera Juice
- Hot Compress
- Turmeric Powder
- Cold Bread
- Coriander Seeds
- Rose Water
The boric acid is a water-soluble and weak acid that you can buy easily in drug stores or supermarkets. Boric acid is also found in many vegetables, fruits & other plants. This acid works as an antiseptic, antifungal, and eyewash.
Pay attention: A slight burning or stinging can occur while using boric acid. You should not use the boric acid ophthalmic in case you are sensitive to boric acid. In addition, you need to avoid using near open wounds or avoid indigestion.
Omega-3 fatty acids found in flaxseed will help you decrease the free radicals in your body as well as promote your immune system in order to fight infection. Here are easy steps to apply flaxseed for treating eye infection:
- You boil ½ cup of water
- Then you add 1 ounce of the bruised flaxseed.
- You let this mixture steep for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then you strain the excess water
- Then you can place this warm flaxseed on a clean cotton square, a clean washcloth, or a piece of cheesecloth
- Then you apply this solution directly to your eye.
- You can repeat this solution up to three times per day till symptoms are gone.
Flaxseed is often used for reducing inflammation & soothing the pain in eyes. However, it is not used for pregnant women.
Learn more: easy tips to treat a stye in your eye at home
Tea bags will help soothe your eye and relieve redness & swelling. You can use black tea, green tea or white tea. To use tea bags for treating eye infections, you can follow the following directions:
- You begin by boiling some tea bags with the hot water.
- You let these bags cool
- Then you place 1 bag onto your affected eye for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can apply the tea that is made by water & these bags as an eyewash
- Then you wash off your eye with this lukewarm mixture before you apply the tea bag compress.
- You repeat this solution 3 times per day till your symptoms are gone.
Using tea as eyewash can cause a slight stinging or burning. If this condition occurs, you should stop using the tea to wash off the eye right away.
Applying chamomile is one of other effective home remedies for eye infections. Chamomile has soothing & calmative properties that will help you reduce redness & swelling caused by eye infections. To use chamomile for treating you eye infection, you can follow the following directions:
- You boil about 3 cups of water with 2 chamomile tea bags.
- Then you let it cool
- Next, you apply this cool chamomile tea to your eye by using your freshly washed hands
- You do this way 3 to 4 times per day.
- Alternatively, you can dip a clean washcloth into this cool chamomile tea
- Then you apply this washcloth to your eye like a compress for about 15 minutes.
Using chamomile tea will help you in reducing redness & irritation linked to eye infections. However, it can cause a slight stinging, burning or redness for some people. You should not continue applying this cure if side effects are too bothersome or persist.
Honey has a lot of antibacterial properties that can kill harmful bacteria in eyes. There are many different ways to use honey for treating eye infections. Here are 3 easy ways you can follow at home:
- You mix an equal part of honey and boiled water.
- You mix water and honey thoroughly
- Then you allow it to cool.
- You use some cotton balls or a clean washcloth
- Then you apply this solution to your eye.
- You can use cotton balls or washcloth as a compress
- Then you leave it on your eye for about 15 minutes.
- In addition, you can use this solution as eyewash or eye drop. Simply, you apply it to your affected eye 2 or 3 times per day till symptoms have cleared.
Second way to use honey for treating eye infections:
- You boil a few eyebright flowers (that can be bought at any local health food store) with 3 cups of water.
- You add about 3 tbsp of honey into this water & eyebright
- Then you stir.
- You let it cool
- You apply it to your eye by using cotton balls or a clean washcloth.
- In addition, you can use this mixture as eyewash. Simply, you apply it to your affected eye 2 or 3 times per day till symptoms are improved.
Final way to apply honey for reducing eye infections:
- You apply directly a little amount of honey to your affected eye.
- You should not dilute the honey
- You just need to apply it to your eyes directly because the honey will bind to any debris, discharge or dirt in your eye. Honey also helps you cleanse your eye effectively and safely through natural tearing.
When mixing jasmine flowers with distilled or boiled water, this solution will help you in reducing inflammation, irritation and redness linked to eye infections. To use jasmine flowers for treating eye infections, you can follow the following directions:
- Simply you fill a clean glass jar of distilled or boiled water with 8 – 10 jasmine flowers.
- Then you cover this jar
- Then you let it sit over night.
- You gently stir this mixture in the morning
- Then you apply it to your affected eye by using an eyedropper about 1-3 times per day for about 3 days.
- You may soak some cotton balls or a clean wash cloth into witch hazel after applying this jasmine water eye drop
- Then you apply these cotton balls or this clean wash cloth to your affected eye like a compress.
- You let it sit on your eye for about 15 to 20 minutes.
There are a lot of other natural home remedies for eye infections presented in this article, so keep reading it to learn more.
One of other home remedies for eye infections presented in this article is using baby shampoo. To apply baby shampoo for treating eye infections, you can follow step by step directions as below:
- Simply, this remedy only requires you to dilute a little of tearless baby shampoo into water.
- Then you use some cotton balls or a clean washcloth
- You apply gently this mixture to your affected eye & eyelids.
- Applying this solution will help you to wash off any debris around or in your eye.
- You should wash your eyes by using this baby shampoo mixture 2 times a week for best results.
There are some nutrients that are particularly important for maintaining the good eye health. Many researches indicate that vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin B9, vitamin B12 and vitamin B6 are able to keep the eyes functioning well and healthy. Minerals such as zinc and omega-3 fatty acids are also important for keeping the good eye health. In addition, antioxidants including lutein can help you in preventing the accumulation of the waste matter inside the retina. Moreover, lutein can lower your risk of common eye diseases involving cataracts and age-related macular degeneration. Here is the list of healthy foods good for improving the eye health that you should add into your daily diet.
- Fresh vegetables and fruits that are rich in vitamin C and vitamin E
- The dark green leafy vegetables including spinach that contains lutein and vitamin E
- Orange and yellow fruits & vegetables that are rich in beta carotene
- A wide range of fatty fish including herring, mackerel, salmon, tuna, and sardines that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids
- Milk, eggs, whole grains, and meat that contain zinc
- Bananas, liver, potatoes, and dried beans that supply vitamin B6
- Citrus fruits, mushrooms, peas, and nuts that contain folic acid
- Poultry, shellfish, and dairy foods that provide vitamin B12
In addition, a diet with many refined carbohydrates including pasta, white breads, and rice may increase your risks of eye conditions. So you need to replace them with complex carbohydrates including whole grains. Moreover, people with eye infections need to consult their doctors before taking any vitamin & mineral supplement.
In order to prevent the worsening or the spread of an eye infection, you can follow some measures listed below:
- You wash your hands regularly
- You apply eye goggles to protect your eyes while swimming
- You avoid squeezing or touching a stye. You let it drain by itself.
- You make sure that you dispose of compresses immediately when you use them to beat infections, so that other people don’t come in contact with contaminated objects.
- You avoid wearing makeup onto your eyes while you have an eye infection.
To use guava leaves for treating eye infections, you can follow the following directions:
- You boil 4 to 5 guava leaves with a glass of water
- Then you use this solution as an eye drop for reducing your eye infection.
- In addition, you can place some warm guava leaves in a damp cloth to prepare a hot compress.
- This cloth is placed directly onto your affected eye in order to relieve redness & swelling caused by eye infection.
Another remedy for reducing eye infection is applying aloe vera. You just need to apply the fresh aloe vera juice onto your affected eye with a clean cloth.
To use hot compress for treating eye infections, you can follow the following directions:
- You soak a clean cloth into the warm water
- Then you put this cloth onto your affected eye in order to relieve pain & irritation caused by eye infection.
- You should apply this solution as regularly as possible to get the best results.
Applying the turmeric powder is one of the best home remedies for eye infections. Here are detailed steps you can follow to treat eye infections with turmeric powder:
- You mix 1 tsp of turmeric powder into 2 glasses of water.
- Then you will get an eye drop
- Next, you use this turmeric powder mixture 2 times per day to get the instant relief from your eye pain.
Another way to deal with eye infection is applying cold bread. Using cold bread regularly will help you to reduce itching & swelling from your eye infection.
One of the good home remedies for eye infections is applying coriander seeds. This herb can be applied to treat some common problems of eye infection. Here are step by step instructions to use coriander seeds for dealing with eye infections:
- You boil coriander seeds with a cup of water
- Then you let it cool
- Next, you wash your affected eye by applying this solution.
- Using this mixture will reduce your pain as well as swelling caused by eye infection.
You can use rose water as an eye drop. To use rose water for treating eye infections, you apply it 4 to 5 times per day to treat different eye problems (such as redness, itching, and so on) linked to eye infection.
Related articles on eye infections:
To know more about other health problems & effective homemade remedies, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the writing of top 16 natural home remedies for eye infections in humans, hope that this writing helps you find out the best solution to get rid of common eye infections quickly and safely without any side effect. However, the writing is solely for the informational purpose, so you need to get advice from your doctor before applying any home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other natural home remedies for eye infections, please leave them below.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- Negative side effects of smoking – 7 worst disadvantages
- Muscle explosion workout review – does the guide help you?
- How to get rid of mold naturally at home with ease – 8 tips
- How to treat breast pain at home – 8 effective remedies
- List Of 6 Health Benefits Of Zumba Workout You Should Know
- 10 Home remedies for mucus in throat and in nose
- Eye floaters no more review – can the book work?
- Tips for eating healthy on a budget – grocery list & recipes