Hay fever, or allergic rhinitis may be caused by the response of body to a certain allergen or other substances. There are about 15% to 20% of the US population suffers from allergic rhinitis every year. It affects people of different ages and it is common in infants and children. Itchy throat and cough may be symptoms of hay fever that affect human’s health and cause serious problems in the body’s functioning. In this article on VKool site, I’m going to show you understand more about this fever and home remedies for hay fever, itchy throat and cough. Check out all the content below!
Causes, Symptoms And Home Remedies For Hay Fever, Itchy Throat & Cough
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Hay Fever
Pollen, animal dander, dust, cat saliva are common allergens that may cause hay fever. Some other factors can trigger this condition include cigarette exposure to chemicals, smoke, cold temperatures, high pollution, wood smoke and fumes, and humidity.
When your body contacts with these triggers and allergens, it will release histamine into the body system. Histamine is a chemical that can affect mucous membranes of sinuses, eyes, palate nose and throat, and cause cold-like symptom and signs.
Other common symptoms include runny nose, sneezing, stuffy nose, coughing, itchy nose, sore throat, hives, watery eyes, excessive fatigue, itchy skin and frequent headaches. Also, it can worsen asthma symptoms.
Hay fever is not known as a serious ailment, yet it may interfere with quality of your life everyday. There are a lot of over-the-counter decongestants, nasal sprays and antihistamines to reduce symptoms of hay fever. Nevertheless, you can make use of home remedies for hay fever, itchy throat and cough in your kitchen that can provide rapid relief while they are not expensive. Here are top home remedies for hay fever, itchy throat and cough that you can apply:
II. Home Remedies For Hay Fever, Itchy Throat And Cough
Honey can treat hay fever effectively thanks to the presence of the bee pollen. Also, honey can desensitize the immune system of the body to other pollens. Moreover, it contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can give a quick relief from different symptoms of your hay fever. To get best results, you can use local honey for the best protection against the pollens in the affected area.
- Consume 1 or more than 1 teaspoons of raw local honey for 3 or 4 times per day to support relieve symptoms. In reality, eating raw honey regularly before the hay fever season can help prevent this condition effectively.
- Alternatively, you can mix 1 tablespoon of raw honey with 3 or 4 drops of lemon juice in a glass of water, then add warm water and drink this liquid. Do this once or twice a day to aid in strengthening the immune system as well as fighting off all symptoms of hay fever quickly.
Garlic is a powerful natural antibiotic, which can ward off symptoms of hay fever effectively. Furthermore, garlic is a great source of quercetin – a natural antihistamine. Its antiseptic and antibacterial properties of garlic also help promote the speedy recovery.
- Chew 2 to 3 raw garlic cloves everyday for 1 or 2 weeks to combat various symptoms and signs of hay fever.
- Besides, you can try garlic soup. To make this soup, start by boiling 3 or 4 cloves of garlic in 1 cup of water in 10 minutes. Then, strain and add a little bit of honey. Drink the soup twice a day for one week.
- If you don’t love garlic or can’t bear its strong smell, you can take garlic supplements or garlic oil after consulting your doctor.
This herb is also considered effective for handling hay fever. As a natural antihistamine, the herb nettle can help reduce inflammation of your upper respiratory tract, and ease coughing, sneezing, itching and nasal congestion.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the dried nettle leaves in 1 cup of very hot water. Then, steep for about 5 minutes. Strain and add honey. Drink the herbal tea 2 or 3 times a day until the symptoms of your hay fever go away.
- If the nettle herb is not available in your living plan, you can buy nettle capsules in drug stores or take them after consulting with a doctor.
- If you can take this herb regularly 1 month before the hay fever season, it can aid in hay fever prevention.
Next to effective home remedies for hay fever, try some ginger everyday. Ginger can help strengthen your immune system and work like a natural antihistamine. Its powerful anti-inflammatory agent can also help reduce nasal swelling.
- Chew some small pieces of fresh ginger that are sprinkled with salt a few times per day to get a quick relief from your hay fever, cough, runny nose and even headache.
- Alternatively, you can drink 2 to 3 cups of ginger tea a day for better recovery. To make ginger tea, add 1 tablespoon of the grated ginger to 1 cup of water, then boil them for 5 minutes. Next, strain and add some lemon juice and honey. Drink this tea when it’s warm.
Chamomile is believed to relieve symptoms of hay fever. It acts like a natural antihistamine and antioxidant.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of chamomile tea or dried chamomile flowers in 1 cup of very hot water, then steep for 5 minutes. Next, strain and add a little bit of honey and lemon juice. Drink this tea 3 or 4 times per day for 2 to 3 days.
- Alternatively, boil a handful of fresh chamomile flowers in coldwater. Cover and simmer on the low heat for 5 minutes. Next, remove from the heat; and inhale the chamomile fumes for about 10 minutes. Follow this treatment once a day until you completely recover.
6. Salt Water
Next to simple yet effective home remedies for hay fever in your kitchen, try applying salt. Salt water is actually a great remedy for relieving all symptoms of hay fever. It can help clear the nasal passages and thin the mucus. It can also give a quick relief from sore throat.
- Mix 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 2 cups of hot water. Mix them well and let it cool for some minutes. Then, tilt the head back and put several drops of this liquid into each nostril by using a dropper. Now, inhale slowly and blow the nose to remove your excess mucus. Repeat it twice a day until you feel better.
- Alternatively, mix 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass of hot water. Mix them well and let it cool. Then, use it for gargling. Follow this solution a few times a day until you recover completely.
Next to home remedies for hay fever, steam can give you a quick relief from common symptoms of hay fever like sore throat, sneezing and runny nose. It also helps clear out the excess mucus, which causes your sneezing and runny nose.
- Add several drops of menthol crystals or eucalyptus oil to a large bowl of hot water.
- Then, cover the head with a bath towel; hold the face over this bowl.
- Inhale the steam for 10 minutes, then blow the nose.
- Follow this treatment for hay fever 3 or 4 times a day until you completely recover.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar
Don’t you know that apple cider vinegar can restore essential nutrients in your body that in turn helps in regulating the immune response system. Moreover, it can restore a balanced alkaline pH in your body for relieving common hay fever symptoms.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
- Next, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1/2 tablespoon of honey to it.
- Then, drink the mixture 3 times a day until your hay fever improves.
Onion is a great source of quercetin, a natural anti-inflammatory and antihistamine that can reduce symptoms like runny nose, sore throat and cough in hay fever sufferers.
- Chew some freshly onion slices and slowly swallow them. Do this several times throughout the day until your hay fever is relieved.
- Alternatively, you can add 3 to 4 tablespoons of fresh onion juice to 1 glass of warm water. Use this mixture to gargle several times a day until you notice the improvement.
- In another way, mix 1and 1/2 teaspoon of fresh onion juice with 1 teaspoon of honey together. Mix them well and drink this solution twice a day for several days to alleviate sore throat and cough.
These are top 9 home remedies for hay fever. You can try some of these home treatments and hope that they can work for you. For any comment about this article or these home remedies for hay fever, please drop it in the comment box below! Thanks for reading and see you in the next posts!
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- How to stop hiccups in newborn & babies – 9 useful tips
- How to prevent myopia in children – 9 tips
- 24 health & beauty benefits of doing yoga & meditation daily at home
- How To Exfoliate Skin Naturally Before Or After Shower At Home
- How to maintain a healthy heart and prevent disease naturally
- Top 15 Health Benefits Of Beetroots
- Premature ejaculation treatment: natural ways & at home exercises
- How to stop tooth decay pain naturally & effectively at home