Chronic and severe acid reflux is referred to as GERD – gastroesophageal reflux disease. Besides heartburn, it might also lead to some increasing symptoms, such as chest pain, dry cough, sore throat, a sour taste in mouth, and nausea. If left uncured, this condition can force the patients to withstand several serious complications such as esophageal cancer and Barrett’s esophagus.
Best Home Remedies For GERD – Best Natural Treatments:
Acid reflux is characterized by the burning pain around patients' lower chest area or heartburn, triggered by the stomach acid that moves up into the esophagus – a long tube that connects the throat to the tummy. The pain tends to become worse when you bend over or lie down..
Severe and frequent bouts of GERD require medical cure. If you experience just some mild signs and symptoms, you can try making use of natural home remedies for GERD to reduce and beat off the symptoms safe and with ease. If the symptoms occur more than 2 times in a week, then you need to consult your doctor for better advice and medical help.
The exact trigger factor of this condition is still not clearly discovered. However, it is clear that factors such as stomach abnormalities like hiatal hernia, malfunctioning of the lower esophageal sphincter muscles, genetics, certain foods, pregnancy, obesity, smoking, and certain medications may contribute to the development of this issue.
Today, in this article, I would like to reveal some of the best home remedies for GERD that are proven to work useful for stopping this skin condition.
This is the first out of the most effective natural home remedies for GERD that I want to introduce in this full writing.
Cumin seed can help in dealing with GERD and acid reflux because this natural ingredient can help to boost your digestive system and reduce digestive problems like gas and acidity.
- You just need to add this spice to foods while cooking to achieve good result in dealing with the disease without the help of any medical interventions.
- Use one cup of water to boil one teaspoon of cumin seeds in. Allow the seeds to steep for about 5 minutes and then strain it. Consume the cumin tea you have just prepared after meals and in the morning for about 3 – 4 days or until your symptoms are gone.
This is one of the most accessible natural home remedies for GERD that you should also try to stop the problem fast without using any type of drug, pill, or medication.
Like slippery elm, marshmallow provides powerful demulcent and soothing effects. Being rich with high levels of mucilage, marshmallow can help to protect the mucosal lining of the esophagus and stomach. Here are the steps you need to follow exactly if you want to make use of this natural ingredient:
- Add 2 tablespoons of dried marshmallow root to 4 cups (one quart) of water.
- Allow it to stay overnight.
- The next morning, strain marshmallow root out.
- Consume this special tea about 2 – 3 times throughout the day until your disease is improved and the symptoms caused by GERD are relieved or completely disappear.
3. Slippery Elm:
One of the most common natural cures for you to deal with GERD is the use of slippery elm. Slippery elm contains powerful and strong demulcent properties that can help in coating the lining of the stomach and the esophagus. In addition, it provides very strong and effective anti-inflammatory and soothing effects. To make use of this natural ingredient, you will need to:
- Mix 2 cups of hot water with 2 tbsps. of powdered slippery elm bark.
- Allow it to steep for about 5 minutes.
- Consume this special tea about 2 – 3 times on a daily basis until your disease is improved and the symptoms caused by GERD are relieved or completely disappear.
In fact, this is one of the best home remedies for GERD that I would like to reveal in this article and people should remember to learn and make use for good!
4. Yellow Mustard:
Yellow mustard is another common natural home remedy for GERD and acid reflux because it can aid effectively in neutralizing the levels of stomach acid. Mustard is not strange for people who love eating seafood or Japanese sushi, sashimi…dishes. Mustard is a wonderful and unique spice that makes your meal more interesting and increase flavors of several dishes. In fact, yellow mustard is very common and famous for many beneficial effects in terms of stomach health as well. The vinegar content of this food is a weak acid that can help to lower the pH levels of acid in your stomach.
When you have some symptoms of GERD, you should consume one teaspoon of plain yellow mustard so that you will get an instant relief without needing to make use of any type of drugs, pills, or medications. If the smell and the taste of this spice are too strong for you, you can use a glass of water to follow it.
Though this food is good and effective in most cases, yellow mustard may lead to heartburn or make it worse for some people.
In fact, this is also one of the best and most effective natural home remedies for GERD that people should not skip but try making use to stop the current concern fast (just within a few days to one week) and safely without making use of any type of costly yet useless creams or medical interventions.
5. Licorice Root:
Another out of the most effective and best home remedies for GERD that I would like to introduce in this writing and want my readers to make use is licorice root.
Licorice root is beneficial for acid reflux because of its stomach-healing properties. It soothes the mucus membranes and protects the lining of the gut, reduces gastric inflammation and decreases gastric spasms.
- To make use of this herb, you just need to consume 1 – 2 400 mg chewable DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated licorice) tablets before taking any meal, 2 – 3 times per day depending on your own need. Keep making use of this method for at least 2 – 3 weeks. You can purchase this herbal supplement from the stores that sell natural and healthy foods.
- Alternatively, you can boil half a teaspoon of licorice root powder in one cup of water. Strain and consume this herbal tea fifteen to twenty minutes before taking any meal throughout the day. Make use of this method about 2 – 3 times on a daily basis for one week or until your disease is improved and the symptoms caused by GERD are relieved or completely disappear.
Note: Consult your doctor before making use of licorice root.
6. Chewing Gum:
Another out of the most efficient natural home remedies for GERD that people should not look down is making use of gum. It might be a little bit strange for you but it is the truth that I want you to keep your head on!
A study published in the Journal of Dental Research discovered that if you chew one piece of gum that does not contain sugar in its component for about half an hour after taking meals, you will be able to get your symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease relieved noticeably.
In fact, chewing gum will help to stimulate the production of saliva inside your mouth, which in turn will wash away acid accumulated in your gut. Being alkaline, saliva is also the agent which aids in neutralizing the acidity in your stomach.
Therefore, you should chew sugar-free gum after meals to reduce the symptoms of acid reflux. You can also opt for chewing a cinnamon gum, but avoid gums with mint flavor because mint will relax the lower esophageal sphincter, contributing to the reflux of acids in the stomach into the food pipe.
7. Aloe Vera:
Thanks to its anti-inflammatory and healing properties, aloe vera can help to reduce the inflammation inside your esophagus and stomach to give you a great relief from the hateful and stubborn signs and symptoms of acid reflux and GERD disease.
You just need to consume 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice about twenty minutes before taking any meal throughout the day to achieve the best results as desired.
Note: You should not consume aloe vera in excessive amount and over frequency as it might give your body a laxative effect.
In fact, this is also one of the simplest to follow yet also effective and best home remedies for GERD that I would like to introduce in this entire writing and want my readers to learn and apply to stop the GERD issue fast and effectively.
8. Baking Soda:
Baking soda, also called the “sodium bicarbonate”, is a natural antacid that give us fast and effective relief from heartburn, the most common sign of the GERD disease and acid reflux.
- Mix one cup of water with ½ to 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Consume the solution down right away for instant relief.
Note: It is not recommended in terms of prolonged ingestion of baking soda. In addition, people who are struggling with high blood pressure should avoid making use of baking soda because it has sodium in its components.
This is also among the best home remedies for GERD that people should learn and apply at home.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar is also among the most effective home remedies for GERD and acid reflux. It can aid digestion and help in balancing the production of acid inside your stomach. To make use of this natural ingredient, people just need to:
- Mix in a cup of warm water 1 – 2 teaspoons of unfiltered, organic raw apple cider vinegar.
- Consume the solution twenty to thirty minutes before having meals throughout the day.
- Apply this tip at least for a few months on a regular basis.
You can also mix apple cider vinegar in water to consume when you see some very first symptoms of a heartburn attack.
In fact, this is another great one out of the list of useful home remedies for GERD that I would like to reveal in this entire article and want you and my other readers to learn and make use as soon as possible.
This is the last but also very important out of the list containing the best home remedies for GERD that I want to introduce in this entire article and want you and my other readers to learn and apply as soon as possible.
Fennel is extremely good for boosting and enhancing the digestive system, as well as suppressing the tummy spasms. It contains a compound named “anethole” that can help in calming spasms in the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, fennel contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties that can help people fight against inflammation effectively.
- To make use of this natural herbal remedy, you just need to boil in a cup of water 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds. Allow it to steep for about ten minutes and then strain it. Consume this solution 2 – 3 times on a daily basis for a few days.
- Alternatively, you can simply chew 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds after having any meal throughout the day for getting instant relief as well as preventing another attack later.
Now, after reading this full writing and learning exactly how you can make use of the best home remedies for GERD to deal with this disease naturally at home, what you should do next is just to spend time reading another useful article that will also help you become more aware of the causes leading to some other digestive problems – the List Of 23 Foods That Cause, Heartburn, Acid Reflux, And Indigestion article. In fact, this is a full gathering of the worst foods that cause heartburn, acid reflux, and indigestion, helping people who are at high risks of these problems know what they should avoid to have a healthy digestive system. This article will help to stop your concern of developing these problems and stand the terrible symptoms they cause. The trigger foods that are revealed in this article are proven true so if you are worrying about the risks of some digestive problems, you should read the article I recommend to avoid foods that can pose harms to your digestive system.
This is actually a full list of the best home remedies for GERD that readers of VKool.com and other people who are also dealing with the GERD issue should learn and apply for good! These natural treatment tips are actually natural and proven safe to use for people at all ages with cheap and easy to get natural ingredients so that people should not worry about the possible harmful side effects they can get when applying these tips and techniques.
If you think that the natural home remedies for GERD that I suggested above are really useful for your current GERD problem and might be also good for other people you know who are trying to deal with this digestive issue, you should let me know and feel free to share this list widely to make use of these home remedies with anyone you want. As an author, I always want to see my readers’ opinions, so remember to leave your feedbacks and comments in the section below.
Related articles about some digestive issues, including GERD, how to deal with them, and how to improve digestive system:
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- 10 natural home remedies for molluscum contagiosum in adults
- 9 home remedies for watery eyes from allergies
- 7 Tips on how to stop skin picking habit on fingers
- 10 natural home remedies for nosebleeds in children
- 12 Ways on How to Take Ginger for Upset Stomach and Gas Condition
- Anti aging herbs and spices for longevity you should know
- Tea tree oil benefits: 16 advantages for skin, hair and health
- How to prevent leukemia naturally in children & adults – 8 tips