Hiccups are little more than a reflex, which affect all of us in daily life. Hiccups could be annoying and embarrassing when in public. However, there are many natural home remedies for hiccups in adults and babies you can use to stop this problem with ease. Check out from VKool.com!
I. Natural Home Remedies For Hiccups – What Are Hiccups And Hiccup Facts?
A hiccup is a sudden, involuntary contraction of the human diaphragm muscle. When the muscles spasms, the vocal cords snap shut, thereby, producing a hiccup sound.
Oftentimes, hiccups are rhythmic, which are just temporary minor annoyance, yet prolonged hiccups might hidden a main medical issue. In reality, the longest recorded hiccups attack is about six decades.
When it comes to hiccups, there are some facts you need to acknowledge, including:
- Both males and females tend to suffer from hiccups equally as often, yet hiccups might last longer in men, for over 48 hours. This condition could even happen in a fetus whilst still being in utero.
- Most cases of hiccups can resolve themselves in such as short period of time and seems rarely to be a medical emergency. However, you should see a doctor if your hiccups last more than 3 hours, or if they tend to disturb your daily activities like eating or sleeping habits.
- Rarely, the physician might prescribe medications like chlorpromazine (Thorazine), metoclopramide (Reglan), and haloperidol (Haldol) for persistent, severe hiccups.
- Avoid eating too fast, or overeating or drinking too much so you can prevent hiccups
Recommend reading: tips for a healthy diet plan
II. Home Remedies For Hiccups – Common Causes Of Hiccups
Most of the time, there might be no obvious cause for hiccups. Nevertheless, it is claimed that there are some more common causes of hiccups. Below are some:
- Eating food or drinking too fast and swallowing the air along with foods
- Eating spicy or fatty foods too much or drinking too much carbonated or alcohol drinks, distending the human stomach or irritating the diaphragm
- Any disorder or disease irritating nerves that control the diaphragm, like pneumonia, liver disease or lung diseases
- Abdominal surgery could also irritate the nerves that take control of the diaphragm, leading to hiccups
- Brain tumors or strokes involving the brain stem, as well as other chronic medical issues like renal failure
In addition, there are some medications which also result in hiccups as a secondary effect, for instance:
- Medications for the condition of acid reflux
- Benzodiazepines, containing diazepam (Valium), lorazepam(Ativan), and alprazolam (Xanax)
- Nicotine, levodopa, and ondansetron (Zofran)
III. Home Remedies For Hiccups – How Long Do Hiccups Last?
- Those noxious fumes could also trigger the presence of hiccups
- Fear of the excitement
- Sudden modifications in temperature
Usually, hiccups stop in just several minutes to several hours. In fact, hiccups that last longer than 48 hours are medically called persistent hiccups while hiccups lasting longer even than 1 month are medically called intractable hiccups, resulting in exhaustion, weight loss, and lack of sleep. These conditions rarely happen. Both intractable and persistent hiccups might be a sign of a much more serious issue and have to be checked by a doctor.
When it comes to intractable or persistent hiccups, there are some causes:
- Central nervous system issues, like infections, cancer, injury, or stroke
- Issues with the chemical processes taking place within the human body (known as metabolic problems), like a reduced kidney function or hyperventilation.
- Surgery or anesthesia
- Irritation of nerves in the neck, head, and chest
- Mental health issues
IV. Home Remedies For Hiccups – 9 Natural Ways To Cure Hiccups
1. Cold Water
When suffering from hiccups, you could shock your whole system to stop that condition. Any type of shock will lead to distractions and will also put your hiccups to rest.
- You just need to drink quickly one glass of cold water (along with honey, option) and your hiccups will disappear away instantly
- Another way to use cold water to stop hiccups is to gargle with it for about 1 minute
- Or, you could suck on a small piece office for several seconds
2. Drink Upside Down
In this home remedies for hiccups, this might be one of the easiest and simplest ways. Though drinking one glass of cold water can help you stop hiccups, this could be more efficiently if you drink it upside down.
- Take one glass of cold water
- Bend down at your waist and then put your own head down
- Simply drink the water from the glass’ opposite side, in contrast to your normal habit
- If required, you could repeat the routine
3. Keep Holding Your Breath
This is one of old home remedies for hiccups. It can enhance the amount of carbon dioxide within the bloodstream, distracting the mind and cutting the cycle of hiccups.
- First, you take one deep breath and then keep holding it for as long as possible, without letting air out
- Exhale in a controlled way, gently
- Now, inhale and keep the breath again
- Practice this technique for a few cycles till the problem stops
Another great home treatment for hiccups is sugar, particularly for those small children and babies who could not efficiently make use of the remedies above. Swallowing sugar can stimulate the vagus nerve and make the human body forget or distract about the hiccups.
- You can fill 1 teaspoon with brown or white sugar
- Keep holding that spoon in your mouth for about 5 seconds
- Let the sugar dissolve without chewing it, slowly
- Then, take a sip of water to stop hiccups
On the other hand, this treatment could be used by adults too, yet people with diabetes have to avoid it.
This is another natural, effective way to stop hiccups. The sour taste of vinegar could help in distracting your mind, thereby helping stop your hiccups. Malt vinegar, white sugar, or apple cider vinegar can do the trick well.
- Simply swallow a half of vinegar, then take one glass of water after that.
- Or, you could mix 1 teaspoon of vinegar with a small amount of water. You should swallow it slowly so your hiccups will stop.
6. Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is also one of home remedies for hiccups. The gooey, sticky consistency of peanut butter can interrupt the breathing pattern as you swallow it, thereby helping stop continually hiccups.
- First, you put 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter within your mouth
- Keep holding it for several seconds before swallowing it without chewing
- If necessary, you can drink one glass of water
In case that peanut butter is not available around you, alternate it with almond butter.
7. Breathe Into The Paper Bag
This is time-tested tip helping those hiccup sufferers. Breathe into the paper bag to increase the amount of carbon dioxide within your body, thereby making your diaphragm contract deeply to get more oxygen. That way, it could help stop the problem of hiccups.
- Initially, you press tightly a paper bag around the mouth
- Then, breathe deeply and slowly into it
- Repeat this a few times whilst keeping the bag in place
Remember that this remedy should not be used by those people who are suffering from heart disease or stroke. Moreover, it is crucial to follow this tip at your personal comfort level.
Among many home remedies for hiccups, this is one of the most little-known, yet it is a sure manner to get the effectiveness. The sour taste of lemon will overwhelm your irritated nerves, therefore making the condition of hiccups stop.
- You can put a half of teaspoon of undiluted lemon juice into your own mouth. Thanks to the overwhelming taste of lemon, it will compel you to swallow difficultly and hiccups will disappear instantly
- Or, you can mix one glass of water with the juice of a lemon then drink the mixture quickly to stop your hiccups
- Another option is to put a small amount of salt on the small piece of lemon before sucking the juice out of the lemon slowly
This is also a natural, effective treatment for hiccups. It comes with muscle-relaxing properties, thereby helping stop hiccups.
- Mix one teaspoon of the cardamom powder into one glass of hot water.
- Then, set it aside for about 15 minutes before straining
- After that, drink it slowly
You could use chamomile to stop the condition of hiccups. Thanks to the muscle-relaxing properties of chamomile can help in easing the contractions within the diaphragm which leads to hiccups.
Just simply steep one teaspoon of the dried chamomile herb within one cup of water for about 5- 10 minutes before drinking it slowly to get rid of hiccups.
Or, you could put 1-2 drops of the chamomile essential oil into the brown paper bag. Keep that paper bag over the nose and mouth; take deep, slow breaths into it till your hiccups disappear.
These are some basics about hiccups and home remedies for hiccups that you can make use of instantly. The good news is that hiccups are usually just a passing irritation. The next time your vagus nerve flares up, keep these natural remedies in mind.
Share your thoughts with us by dropping your words below, we will feedback all soon.