Laryngitis is caused by inflammation of vocal cords – larynx caused by excessive strain on vocal cords. The first symptom of laryngitis is weak voice and hoarse, even inability of speaking at all. Additionally, laryngitis and hoarseness are usually accompanied by dry cough and sore throat.
In fact, this is not a serious condition and it can heal with time. But this may make you feel uncomfortable and stop your communication. To restore your voice quickly, you can make use of some ingredients in your kitchen. In this article in VKool site on the line of Health, we are going to show you top 10 good home remedies for laryngitis and hoarseness. Check out all of them below!
10 Good Home Remedies For Laryngitis And Hoarseness
I. An Overview About Laryngitis & Hoarseness
Don’t get confused laryngitis with sore throat. True laryngitis actually is a loss of your voice (hoarseness), and it is the result of swelling of your voice box (the larynx), and your voice folds. A common cause of laryngitis is an infection at the upper respiratory area like a common cold, caused by a certain type of virus. If this infection is bacterial, meet your doctor to get an antibiotic treatment.
Another common cause of hoarseness or laryngitis is overuse or voice abuse or such as yelling at a football game that may leave you a hoarse.
The symptoms of short-term laryngitis may include pain around the larynx in the throat, hoarseness, the loss of range (especially by singers), raspiness, and tiring easily.
Smoking may be a primary cause of your chronic laryngitis as inhaling tobacco smoke can increase a mass of your larynx, thereby lowering the pitch of your voice.
Next, there is still a cause of laryngitis that’s GERD. This disease makes people suffer from the rich contents of acids in their stomach, which them will come back up in the throat, particularly during the night.
Laryngitis is often a temporary inconvenience with no serious consequences. Nevertheless, sometimes voice loss or persistent hoarseness is the body’s way of warning you something is not ok. With the following symptoms, you should go see your doctor:
- If your hoarseness continues for over 72 hours
- If your pain is present
- If you have an upper respiratory infection that goes along with a fever lasting more than 2 days
- If you see a sudden change in your voice
- If you have some trouble in breathing
- If you cough and see blood
II. Quick Tips To Prevent Laryngitis & Hoarseness
Laryngitis is just a nuisance, but you suffer from it for a long time, it will be chronic and give you pain at times. Prevent your laryngitis and hoarseness throat with the following quick tips:
- Cut down on caffeine in tea, coffee, and colas dehydrating you
- Speak softly and don’t waste your energy for speaking loudly. Talk as if you are talking with your friend in a café shop. More importantly, you should avoid yelling.
- Use artificial saliva. Sounds unpleasant? But you buy OTC products, which can help keep your throat and mouth moist.
- Don’t whisper.Whispering may be more stressful than maintaining your softly modulated voice.
- Don’t clear your throat as this may increase irritation in your throat and cause laryngitis pain and infections.
- Limit conversation.Don’t speak too loudly and have a long conversation. Give your voice some rest.
- Stop smoking and avoid smokers.This is clear that smoking harms your throat and causes many diseases and health problems. If you can’t quit smoking completely, reduce amounts of cigarettes you smoke a day that helps your throat have time of healing. Also, you shouldn’t stay near smokers as you may smoke passively.
- Quit alcohol.Alcohol abuse may cause your long-term vocal problems.
- Say “No” to recreational drugs.
- Humidify the air. Use a vaporizer or humidifier
- Beware of certain drugs such as diuretics or antihistamines as they can dry your throat and mouth. Ask your pharmacist and doctor for other medications without cause dryness for your throat.
- Avoid dusty environments as dust can irritate your throat and make it dry.
- Protect your voice.Take care of your throat. Stay well hydrated and so on.
III. Home Remedies For Laryngitis & Hoarseness
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
When it comes to home remedies for laryngitis, try apple cider vinegar first as it is very beneficial for killing bacteria in the throat and mouth.
- Mix 2 tbsps of the vinegar with 1 tbsp of honey and 1 cup of warm water. Drink the liquid twice daily.
Alternatively, you can add some cayenne pepper to the mixture for better result.
In another way, you can:
- Mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water. Then, gargle with this solution 3 times daily until getting relief. When gargling, the acidic environment is created in your mouth that helps kill harmful bacteria there.
In a simpler way, you can:
- Mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water. Drink it every several hours.
Water is essential for maintaining your health as well as any body part, including your throat. So, drink adequate amounts of plain water daily. This aids in flushing out herms and toxins from the body. Water drinking also keeps the throat moist. When you suffer from laryngitis, you should avoid cold water and drink slightly warm water.
Next to good home remedies for laryngitis, this is ginger. Ginger juice can help soothe the wall of mucous membrane around your voice box, thereby providing a relief from inflammation and pain.
- Boil some slices of ginger root in a covered small pot with a little water for about10 minutes. Then, strain the ginger water. Let it cool to room temperature. Next, add a little lemon juice. Sweeten it with some honey and drink the tea a few times a day.
4. Lemon Juice
The acid in lemon juice can help kill bacteria as well as relieve some symptoms of laryngitis.
- Add a little salt to the juice from 1 lemon. Then, add a cup of water. Mix them well. Gargle with the mixture a few times a day.
Garlic contains antimicrobial properties so that this spice is very beneficial for killing viruses and bacteria.
- First, cut a garlic clove into 2 pieces. Put 1 on each side of the mouth. Slowly suck the garlic juice
- Do this a few times a day for a quick relief from common symptoms of laryngitis.
6. Warm Salt Water
Among simple yet effective home remedies for laryngitis, this is warm salt water. Like garlic, salt is very helpful in killing viruses and bacteria as well as boosting the healing process of your sore throat and inflamed vocal cords.
- Simply, add 1 1/2 tsp of salt to a cup of warm water. Gargle with it a few times a day.
- Remember that too much salt may irritate the throat, so use a proper amount of salt to gargle.
7. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm has mucilage that helps relieve inflamed and irritated tissue. However, pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid using this remedy.
- First, put some slippery elm in cold water to make it form a gel.
- Swallow this gel a few times a day for relieving your painful sore throat.
Honey is very useful for soothing the irritated throat thanks to its astringent and anti-inflammation agents.
- Add the juice from 1 fresh lemon to a glass of warm water. Next, add 2 tsps of honey. Sip this tea slowly.
9. Eucalyptus Oil
Next to good home remedies for laryngitis, try eucalyptus oil. It contains antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiviral properties that are great for soothing your sore throat and other symptoms of laryngitis.
- Add several drops of eucalyptus essential oil to a pan with boiling water. Put Cover your face with a clean towel. Then, inhale the steam from boiling water for 10 minutes. Do it twice a day.
10. Onion Syrup
Beside eucalyptus oil, consider onion syrup among natural home remedies for larynx inflammation.
- First, cut 3 medium-sized onions into small pieces. Next, simmer the onions in 4 cups of water until having a syrup-like consistency.
- Then, put 5 tbsps of the onion syrup into a cup of warm water
- Add 1 tbsp of honey and several drops of fresh lemon juice.
- Sip the syrup slowly.
I’ve shown you top 10 good home remedies for laryngitis and hoarseness. Hope that you can make use of some these treatments for your laryngitis relief. Thanks for reading and feel free to comment on the writing.