Seasonal allergies & some other allergies can cause tearing, burning, red & sore eyes. You can deal with your red eyes caused by allergies at home just by doing simple lifestyle changes in order to lower your exposure to allergens; however, some persistent cases can require medications and a visit to an eye doctor to get the relief.
If you are looking for natural, at home treatments for red eyes from allergies, then you should read this writing. In this article, VKool.com will show you top 25 healthy, natural home remedies for red eyes caused by allergies. The writing is a collection of safe and effective solutions to get rid of red eyes from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Keep reading this writing to learn more!
Top 25 Natural Home Remedies For Red Eyes From Allergies
Here are 25 best at home natural red eye remedies you are looking for:
10. Eye Drops
11. Milk & Honey
15. Witch Hazel
16. Aloe Vera Juice
17. Castor Oil
21. Baking Soda
22. Green Tea
23. Raspberry Leaves
25. Salt & Water
Water will help clean your eyes. Here are step by step directions to treat red eyes using water:
- You take palm full of cold water
- Then you splash it over your eyes.
- This way can remove any tiny particle and insect, which can be causing your red eyes.
- Alternatively, you may lower your face & merge your eyes into water for a short period.
- You try to open & close your eyes while they are in water.
Rose water is one of the great home remedies for red eyes. It is very useful for treating bloodshot eyes, because it has the soothing effects that help you soothe and relax your eyes. For treating red eyes, you can follow the following steps:
- You take some drops of rose water
- You add it to a dropper
- Then you put about 2 to 3 drops over your eyes.
- This way can give you the relief from redness and itching.
Cucumber is very helpful in a lot of eyes conditions. Cucumber can be used to cleanse the dust as well as other particles in eyes. To use cucumber for treating red eyes, you can follow simple steps as below:
- You cut some round slices of one cucumber
- Then you place them directly onto your closed eyes.
- You stay for about 35 to 40 minutes
- Then you rinse off your face well
- You repeat this way 3 to 4 times per day.
You can treat your red eyes with frozen tea bags. They can help you soothe your eyes and reduce the itchiness of your eyes. To use tea bags for treating red eyes, you can follow the following directions:
- You refrigerate 2 tea bags for about 2 to 3 hours
- Then you place these frozen tea bags onto your closed eyes.
- You stay them on your eyes for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Then you rinse off your face with the cold water.
- This way can help you to minimize the redness as well as the itching in your eyes.
Milk is one of the safe home remedies for red eyes (bloodshot eyes). To apply milk for treating red eyes, you can follow step by step directions as below:
- You soak a few cottons onto chilled milk
- Then you press these cottons in order to release the excessive milk.
- You place these milk soaked cottons onto your closed eyes
- You stay for about 15 to 20 minutes
- Then you rinse your eyes off with the clean water.
- This way can help you minimize the itching and redness
Continue reading this writing to know more about other natural home remedies for red eyes!
Step by step directions to make this remedy:
- You take a small tsp of honey with a few tsp of powdered black pepper.
- Then you blend these ingredients together
- Then you apply this mixture onto your closed red eyes.
- You leave this soluble over your eyes for about 10 minutes
- Next, you wash your eyes well with the cold water.
- This way can provide you with an instant relief from the painful red eyes.
Reducing the exposure to allergens is an easy way to cure red eyes due to allergies. In case you are sensitive to pollen, you should stay inside during peak pollen season when possible. In addition, you can keep the doors and windows closed, change the clothing when coming in from outside, and more. Moreover, you should wear your wraparound sunglasses when going out in order to keep pollen out of your eyes. You also need to shower before you go to bed in order to remove pollen from hair as well as prevent transferring pollen to your pillow.
Here are some healthy diet tips for better eye health:
- You should maintain a balanced diet that is rich in vitamin C, E, A, B, zinc and iron, omega 3 fatty acids, and zeaxanthin.
- Avoid a deficiency of vitamin Bs to prevent eye diseases such as redness.
- You can consume foods that are rich in lutein and carotenoids in order to prevent red eyes.
- Eat more foods that can help control your red eyes such as olive oil, flax seed oil, raw fruit & veggies, leafy greens and nuts.
- You should avoid foods that are packed with refined salt, saturated fat, soft drinks & anything fried.
Recommended reading: top tips and remedies for natural eye care
You can apply a cold compress or an ice pack to reduce swelling and redness in your eyes. Applying cold compress will help you constrict blood vessels in your eyes, and then reduce redness. In addition, you can use some ice cubes that are wrapped in a thin clean cloth in order to avoid ice burn. Moreover, cold compress can decrease the fluid retention around your eyes. If you want to discover other natural home remedies for red eyes, keep reading the next part of this writing.
One of easy home remedies for red eyes is using eye drops. It is very good for reducing bloodshot, irritated or swollen eyes. Eye drops are packed with histamine that can control swelling and itching. You should use eye drops for 4 times per day.
Milk and honey have antibacterial & soothing properties that will help you in treating red eyes effectively. Here are step by step directions to apply properly milk and honey for treating red eyes:
- You take an equal quantity of warm milk and honey
- Then you mix them well until you get a paste with the smooth consistency.
- You take an eyedropper
- Then you drop about three drops into your eyes for 3 times per day.
- You take 1 tsp of the dried chamomile flower
- Then you mix it into 1 cup boiled water.
- You allow it to steep for about 3 to 4 minutes
- Then you let it cool.
- You strain the infusion
- Then you use it like an eye wash.
- Or, you add about 12 drops chamomile tincture into 1 cup boiled water and you use it for washing your eyes.
Learn more: tips to reduce eye puffiness
One of other natural home remedies for red eyes is using goldenseal herb. Here are step by step directions to apply goldenseal herb for treating red eyes:
- You mix 2 tsp of the powdered goldenseal herb into 1 cup of boiled water
- Then you apply it like a warm compress.
- In addition, you may use this infusion like an eye drop.
- You add 2 drops of the infusion 2 or 3 times per day to relieve red eyes together with its associated symptoms.
To use chilled spoon for treating red eyes, you can follow the following steps:
- You take 4 metal spoons
- Then you place them into an ice water glass.
- When these spoons are chilled, you place each spoon onto each eye.
- Then you switch 2 spoons on your eyes when they turn warm with the remaining spoons that are chilled in the ice water glass.
- You continue following this way until you see the swelling subsides.
- Thanks to the cool temperature that can constrict blood vessels, you can reduce redness as well as puffiness of your eyes.
This herb can help you cure the eye inflammation, redness & swelling in the eyes. To use witch hazel for treating red eyes, you can follow the following steps:
- You soak a few cotton balls into witch hazel
- Then you compress each cotton ball onto your closed eyes.
- Witch hazel has astringent properties that will help you in reducing the swelling as well as itching.
Read more: tips to prevent pink eye naturally
To use aloe vera juice for treating red eyes, here are step by step instructions you can follow at home:
- You freeze a little of aloe vera juice
- Then you mix this juice with the cold water.
- You soak 2 cotton pads and then you place them over the eyes.
- This way can soothe the skin as well as prevent inflammation.
- Alternatively, you mix about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon of honey with ½ cup of the elderberry blossom tea together.
- Then you rinse off the eyes with the mixture 2 times per day for about 2 to 3 days, till you see the redness fades away.
The castor oil is often used as one of the natural home remedies for red eyes. To use castor oil for treating red eyes, you can follow some easy steps as below:
- You wash a dropper carefully with the soapy water
- Then you rinse well.
- You suck the pure castor oil into this clean dropper.
- You add about 1 drop of the castor oil into each eye.
- You repeat this way 4 times per day in order to soothe your eyes & relieve the redness.
The apple cider vinegar is packed with malic acid that can help you in fighting bacterial infections that trigger redness & itching in eyes. Here are detailed instructions to apply apple cider vinegar for treating red eyes you can follow at home:
- You mix 1 tbsp of the apple cider vinegar into 1 cup of water.
- You splash your eyes with this solution 3 times per day.
- Alternatively, you can mix 1 tbsp of the apple cider vinegar into a cup of water.
- Then you take 2 cotton balls
- Then you dip them in this solution.
- Now, you clean the eyes with them.
There are a lot of other healthy home remedies for red eyes presented in this article, so continue reading it to know more.
Potato has astringent properties that can help you in reducing the inflammation as well as dark circles around your eyes. Here are detailed directions to use potatoes for treating red eyes you can follow easily at your own home:
- You grate a small potato and then you cut it into some slices
- Next, you place these slices over your eyes
- You do this way for 3 consecutive nights to obtain optimum results.
- Alternatively, you cut a potato into some thin slices.
- Then you keep them in a refrigerator.
- You put these chilled slices on to your eyes for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- You do this way before you go to sleep in order to obtain the best result.
One of other natural home remedies for red eyes is using fenugreek. Here are detailed directions to use fenugreek for treating red eyes:
- You soak a few fenugreek seeds about 7 to 8 hours or overnight
- Then you grind these seeds in order to create a smooth paste.
- Then you apply the paste onto your closed eyes
- Next, you keep it on for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- You wash it off.
- You repeat this way for about 2 to 3 days.
Here are detailed directions to use baking soda for treating red eyes:
- You mix ¼ tablespoon of the baking soda into ½ cup of water.
- You rinse the eyes with this solution.
- Then you try to keep your eyes open.
- This solution will help you in combating the infection, which triggers redness in your eyes.
Here are detailed directions to use green tea for treating red eyes:
- You boil 2 green tea bags into a cup of water.
- You let it cool
- Then you wash the eyes with this solution 2 times per day for about 3 days till you see your symptoms subside completely.
Here are detailed directions to use raspberry leaves for treating red eyes:
- You prepare a handful of the raspberry leaves and a cup of water
- Then you make a cup of raspberry tea just by boiling these leaves.
- You steep this solution for some minutes.
- You strain & let it cool.
- You use it for treating your red eyes like a cold compress onto your eyes for about 10 to 15 minutes for roughly 2 to 3 days.
- You repeat this way if the redness persists.
Here are detailed directions to apply the carrots and spinach juice for treating red eyes:
- You prepare the juice from carrots & spinach
- Then you drink this vegetable juice on regular basis
- This way will help you control your redness & itchiness in your eyes.
Learn more: Best natural foods that are good for eye health
Here are detailed directions to use salt & water for treating red eyes:
- You boil a cup of water
- Next, you add 1 tablespoon of salt into it.
- Then, you can use this solution in order to wash your eyes
- You repeat this solution 3 to 4 times per day for about 2 to 3 days till you see the red eye symptoms disappear completely.
Related articles on eye problems:
To discover more about common health problems & effective homemade remedies, go to our main Home Remedies page. After reading the writing of top 25 natural home remedies for red eyes from allergies, hope that this writing helps you find out the best solution to relieve your red eye symptoms fast and safely without any side effect. However, the writing is solely for the informational purpose, so you need to get advice from your doctor before applying any home remedy. If you have any question, or you know other natural home remedies for red eyes, please leave them below.