Sore gum disease is a popular condition that gums are swollen, infected, or sore. Many adults in UK get this problem and it happens less in children. This condition is built up by plague, which is a sticky substance that brings bacteria when you drink or eat foods. In this short but informative article, VKool.com will show you top 28 home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction. The writing is a collection of safe and effective solutions to relieve sore gums quickly from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Keep reading it and find out lots of useful information.
Discover 28 Home Remedies For Sore Gums After Tooth Extraction
You can recognize easily the typical symptoms of sore gums. They include swollen, red gums, and bleeding gums. You can get more severe problems such as difficult breath, bad taste, gum abscesses, or loose teeth, etc. Here are 28 home remedies for sore gums you should try to do to relieve pain shortly:
8. Mustard Oil
10. Myrrh Oil
11. Tea Tree Oil
12. Castor Oil
13. Clove Oil
14. Babool Bark
16. Essential Oils
17. Reduce Stress
19. Tea Bags
21. Cranberry Juice
24. Intake Vitamin D
25. Baking Soda
Carom seeds, also called Bishop’s weed seeds or ajwain, are considered as one of the first effective home remedies for sore gums. These seeds contain thymol, which has antibacterial, antifungal, and anesthetic properties. In addition, ajwain is also a natural anti-inflammatory agent. You can use the carom seeds or its essential oil for treating this problem. Here are the 2 home remedies for sore gums using ajwain seeds that you should try!
Method 1: Carom seeds and mustard oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of carom seeds
- A few drops of mustard oil
- Firstly, dry roast the carom seeds until there is a nice aroma.
- Then, grind these roasted seeds finely to make them a smooth powder.
- Now, add mustard oil to this smooth powder to create a paste.
- Finally, apply this paste to your sore gums.
Method 2: Ajowan essential oil and water
- A few drops of Ajowan essential oil
- A little water
- Firstly, add a little water to a bowl.
- Then, add Ajowan essential oil to this bowl.
- Finally, stir them together and use this solution to rinse your mouth by swishing it around your mouth for several minutes.
Learn more: 12 Good Natural Home Remedies For Receding Gums
Oil pulling with sesame oil is another way in the list of top 28 natural home remedies for sore gums and other oral health problems. This method is very effective in reducing the growth of bacteria causing infection in your mouth. In addition, it also prevents the formation of plaque and strengthens your gums.
Sesame oil – 1 tablespoon
- Firstly, put sesame oil in the mouth.
- Then, swish this oil around the mouth for about 15 to 25 minutes.
- After that, spit the oil out of your mouth and then wash your mouth completely with tepid water.
- Finally, brush the teeth thoroughly.
- Follow this method daily in the morning.
Note: Avoid gargling or swallowing the oil.
Seeking for natural home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction, you should not forget a powerful ingredient in your kitchen – turmeric! It contains anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties due to the curcumin compound present in it. These properties can help you to reduce the swelling, pain, and inflammation. Apart from this, it also prevents bacteria from spreading out in your mouth, which can cause other oral problems.
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- A little water
- At first, create a paste by mixing turmeric powder with water in a bowl.
- Then, apply the paste to the sore gums with the help of your finger.
- Now, leave it on there for about 5 minutes and then gently massage it for 1 minute.
- Finally, use warm water to rinse your mouth thoroughly.
- Repeat this method for 2 times per day for one to two weeks.
Another of effective home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction that you should not pass is ginger. In addition to being a great anti-inflammatory agent, the antioxidant properties found in ginger make it an ability to inhibit the production of certain inflammatory compounds. Therefore, ginger contains good anti-inflammatory effects. The anti-inflammatory compounds found in ginger are called gingerols.
- A ginger piece – 1 to 2 inches
- Salt- a pinch
- A little water
- Firstly, grind the ginger finely to make a paste.
- Then, add salt to 1 teaspoon of ginger paste.
- You can add water to it to get the consistency so that you can massage it into your sore gums easily.
- Now, apply this paste to your sore gums and gently rub it for about 1 minute.
- Follow this method for 2 to 3 times per day.
A natural mineral in alum contains medicinal uses and beneficial properties that make it become one of other home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction. Besides, it also contains antiseptic properties that help to kill the germs in your mouth. Thanks to its great astringent properties, alum aids in shrinking your skin tissues. All these things become very important and useful when it comes to treating sore gums. Alum, when used for sore gums, can not only reduce the inflammation but also ease the pain caused by your sore gums.
- Alum powder – 1 teaspoon
- Warm water – 1 glass
- At first, grind the alum finely to get a fine powder.
- Then, mix this fine powder with warm water in a glass.
- Finally, use this solution to rinse your mouth.
- Follow this method for 2 to 3 times per day to treat sore gums.
If you have sore gums, it can be very useful for you to use a compress. However, is cold compress or warm compress better for sore gums? The answer is that if your gums are swollen without pain, use a cold compress. On the other hands, if you fell painful, you should use a warm compress. In case, you have both pain and swelling, you should alternatively use the warm compress and cold compress after a gap of a while. A cold compress can tighten the blood vessels, which will reduce the swelling of the gums. And a hot compress will be very effective in reducing the pain.
Here are two home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction using warm or cold compress:
Method 1: Hot Compress
- Warm water
- A washcloth or a clean cloth.
- Firstly, soak the cloth in warm water.
- Then, take it out and wring it to remove the excessive water.
- Next, place this cloth on your face where you have sore gums.
- Now, hold it for a few minutes.
- Finally, repeat this process.
- Use this method until you can relieve the pain.
Method 2: Cold Compress
- A few ice cubes
- A clean cloth
- At first, wrap these ice cubes into this cloth.
- Then, place this cloth on your swollen gums. Avoid applying any compress directly to your gums.
- Finally, hold it on there for some time until you can get rid of the swelling. This method helps to treat your sore gums by slightly numbing this area.
Aloe vera gel is another useful method in the list of top 28 home remedies for sore gums that you should give a try! This herb contains anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, and antioxidant properties that are very effective in preventing the growth of bacteria caused by plaque in your mouth and soothing sore gums. In addition to treating the swelling of your gums, it also reduces the bleeding gums.
- Firstly, break an aloe vera leaf carefully to get its gel.
- Then, use your finger to rub this gel on the sore gums.
- Now, gently massage it for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Finally, rinse your mouth clearly with warm water.
- Follow this method for a few times per day until your condition is improved.
Mustard oil contains excellent antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. In addition, this oil also contains a compound called Glucosinolate that makes it become a great anti-microbial agent. Because of being a strong stimulant, mustard oil, when massaged on any body part, helps to stimulate the blood circulation to this body part. Hence, when you massage mustard oil on the sore gums, it helps to stimulate a proper flow of your blood in there and reduce the inflammation and get the extra benefit of its anti-microbial effects. So, do not forget to use mustard oil as one of the best home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction.
- 1 teaspoon of mustard oil
- A pinch of salt
- At first, add the oil to your palm.
- Then, add the salt to it and mix them together.
- Now, massage your gums with this mixture with a gentle pressure to stimulate blood flow there.
- After that, massage your gums for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Finally, spit it out of the mouth and wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat this method for 2 times per day to get rid of sore gums quickly.
In addition, it is also very helpful in killing germs and fighting some oral issues. For oral health, you should use only food grade 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Firstly, mix 3% hydrogen peroxide solution with clean water at the ratio of 1:1. Then, swish this solution around your sore gums for about 30 seconds. Finally, rinse your mouth with tepid water.
- Another option you can mix enough hydrogen peroxide with baking soda (1 teaspoon) to create a paste. Then, rub this paste on the sore gums and wait for 1 minute. Finally, use clean water to rinse your mouth thoroughly.
Use either of these home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction with hydrogen peroxide for about 2 or 3 times per week.
Note: Remember not to swallow this hydrogen peroxide solution.
One of other useful home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction is myrrh oil. Myrrh oil contains the chemicals called terpenoids that give it excellent anti-inflammatory & antioxidant properties. Along with many other compounds in myrrh oil, it becomes a beneficial herb for gums and teeth issues such as gingivitis, toothache, sore gums, and mouth ulcers. Besides, it also helps to make your breath fresher and thus, you can find this oil as the main ingredient of many toothpaste and mouthwashes.
- 1 to 4 drops of myrrh oil
- 1 tablespoon of water coconut oil
- Firstly, add Myrrh oil in clean water or coconut oil.
- Then, put this mixture in the mouth and swish it around your mouth.
- Do this process for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finally, brush your teeth.
- Repeat this way for 2 to 3 times per day.
In fact, tea tree oil contains anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties. Therefore, it can help you to relieve the irritated and inflamed gums. Do not skip this oil if you are looking for home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction.
- Tea tree oil – some drops
- Warm water – 1 glass
- Firstly, add tea tree oil to the glass filled with warm water and stir them together. Then, use this water as a mouthwash. Do this process for 2 times per day.
- Or, you can also brush your teeth with a type of toothpaste having tea tree oil to reduce the discomfort.
Follow these home remedies for sore gums with tea tree oil daily until your gums are healthy.
Note: Remember not to swallow this oil because it can cause stomach issues.
Castor oil contains antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties. These properties make it one of other very good home remedies for sore gums. Moreover, it also boosts up your lymphatic system. The drainage of the lymphatic system is done through the blood so that the waste from the body is flushed out of it. When the waste does not flush out properly, toxins will accumulate inside your body and cause inflammation and some other diseases. Castor oil, when applied to the skin and tissues, will be absorbed completely to boost up the lymphocyte count. Lymphocytes are known as your cells that help to fight diseases. When your body has more lymphocytes, this speeds up the removal of harmful toxins from the tissues to reduce the swelling and pain and promote the healing process.
- Castor oil – 1 teaspoon
- Camphor (optional)
- Firstly, grind camphor thoroughly to get its powder if you use camphor.
- Then, mix it with castor oil to make a paste.
- Now, apply this paste to your sore gums and gently rub it for a few minutes.
- If you do not use camphor, simply rub this oil on your sore gums for a few minutes.
Apart from a secret for a toothache, clove oil can also help to relieve sore gums. It contains the volatile oil, Eugenol that contains excellent antioxidant & anti-inflammatory properties. These properties help you to get rid of sore and swollen gums and tooth pain effectively!
- 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 to 3 drops of clove oil
- A cotton ball
- At first, add clove oil to olive oil and then mix them together.
- Then, soak a cotton ball in this mixture.
- Now, dab this cotton ball on your sore gums and hold it for a while.
Babool bark is one of other natural home remedies for sore gums and the overall health of gums and teeth. It is extensively used in India and Ayurvedic medicine for dental issues. It is also an astringent herb containing lots of tannins. Hence, it is able to tighten the body tissues so that the blood flow towards the sore and swollen gums is stopped. This is very helpful in treating sore gums.
- Babul bark
- Clean water
- Firstly, add the babul bark and water in a clean pan.
- Then, boil this water until it reduces 1/2 the original quantity.
- Now, let it cool down for a few minutes.
- Finally, use this water to rinse your mouth.
- You can repeat this method for 2 to 3 times per day.
This is very necessary for healthy teeth and gums. Make sure that you take adequate amounts of vitamin C, folic acid, and calcium from your daily diet to prevent sore gums. Lack of any of the nutrients may cause inflamed gums.
- Consume foods rich in vitamin C, such as strawberries, kiwi, oranges, bell peppers, pineapple, broccoli, cantaloupe, Brussels sprouts, and kale.
- Consume foods rich in calcium, such as sardines, dairy products, tofu, soy milk, salmon, collard greens, and cereals.
- Eat foods high in folic acids, such as broccoli, dark leafy greens, asparagus, beans, peas, lentils, and avocados.
- When needed, you may also take supplements after consulting a doctor.
See more: 19 Best Foods For Healthy Teeth
Apart from the myrrh oil, there are a lot of other essential oils that help you in getting rid of sore gums. You can use lavender oil, lemon oil, clove oil, tea tree oil when you have applied myrrh oil. Here are directions of a recipe that can assist you in treating sore gums effectively.
- 2 drops of clove oil
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 drops of oregano oil
- Firstly, mix clove oil, coconut oil, and oregano oil in a bowl.
- Then, use this oil mixture to swish your mouth for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finally, spit it out completely.
- Repeat this way for 3 times per day.
Read more: Top 10 Health Benefits Of Oregano
Stress is a harmful factor in your life, especially in modern life. According to the Academy of General Dentistry, there is a close connection between your dental health and stress. Specifically, people usually get stressed will have the weaker immune system and this is a great chance that bacteria can cause disease including sore gums. As the result, stress reduction is one of the best home remedies for sore gums from dentures after tooth extraction that you should implement every day. This treatment not only cures your sore gums, but it also helps you prevent some other harmful diseases.
Salt is another home remedy in the list of top 28 natural home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction. It inhibits the growth of bacteria causing sore gums in your mouth and prevents infections contributing to some oral health problems.
Why should you believe in slat? It has many advantages for you health including controlling blood sugar, supplying antihistamine, improving sleep quality, maintaining pH level, healing thyroid problems, increasing sodium intake, balancing hormones, etc. Salt solution is very effective for healing the dental problem. Salt is available in your house and you can take advantage of it to reduce pain from sore gums. Simply, you dissolve some sea salt in warm water, swish the liquid in your mouth for 30 seconds and remove it out.
After brushing the teeth with a toothbrush having soft bristles, gently rub salt on your gums for some seconds. Then, rinse it off thoroughly with tepid water. Repeat this way for one time daily. When your gums are healthier, do this method for 3 times per week to prevent the recurrence.
Tea is great for your health and tea bags are also used in treating diseases. Among tea bags, black tea bags is the best useful because they have tannins that help to reduce the inflammation of your gums. Moreover, its antioxidant properties are very effective in stimulating a good oral health.
In order to reduce pain, swelling, infection from sore gums, you can dip tea bag in boiling water for some minutes, remove tea bag, allow it to cool naturally and apply the tea bag into the affected region, hold it for 5 minutes. In tea bag, you can find tannic acid that can relieve gum infection effectively. Also, you can drink teas to prevent dental problems.
Honey is a beneficial ingredient because this ingredient can help you prevent heart disease, cancer, reduces gastrointestinal disorders, reduce cough and sore throat effectively. Honey is also one of the most useful home remedies for sore gums. The reason is that honey contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can work well for infected gums. Whenever you brush teeth, you can rub some honey on the affected area to reduce pain. By doing it frequently, you will reduce discomfort from sore gums.
Fruit juice is healthy for you and some of them can be used to treat sore gums effectively. If you are getting this dental issue, you should find cranberry juice and drink it every day. Make sure that you drink unsweetened juice and avoid the sweetened one if you do not want the problem get worse. Moreover, you can use cranberry juice to treat urinary infections, antitumor effects, prevent heart diseases, prevent respiratory infections, prevent cancer, decrease cold symptoms, etc. Keep reading this writing to discover other healthy home remedies for sore gums.
Seeking for some simple and effective home remedies for sore gums, you should remember one ingredient in your kitchen – lemon. The fresh lemon contains lots of nutrients such as calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, and pectin fiber. It also contains great antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and alkalizing properties. All these make it one of other natural home remedies for sore gums. Its antibacterial properties assist you in getting rid of microbes while its nutrients prevent the lack of minerals and vitamins, which might cause your gums to pain and swell up. Besides, its alkalizing nature prevents the bacteria from surviving in the environment inside the mouth. Therefore, you can consider using warm water with fresh lemon juice every day. Or, you may also rinse your mouth with the lemon water.
- A lemon
- 1 glass of warm water
- Firstly, squeeze the juice from a lemon and add this juice to the glass of warm water.
- Then, mix them together.
- Now, put a little warm lemon water in your mouth and then swirl it around your mouth.
- Finally, spit the water out completely.
- Repeat this process with the remaining water.
- After that, wait for several minutes and then use plain water to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat this method for 1 to 2 times per day.
Or, the combination of lemon and salt will be an excellent solution to heal this problem. Specifically, you mix well some salt and lemon juice and swish that mixture before rinsing off the teeth. Lemon will reduce inflammation and it includes vitamin C that can fight infection of sore gums.
Like lemons, vitamin C rich foods will heal sore gums significantly and the fruits you should eat are strawberry, bell peppers, papaya, kiwi mango, guava, grapes, oranges, lemons, etc. you can eat them raw or extract juice from those fruits. Remember to choose the fresh fruits for safe health. Vitamin C also helps you have better taste when it treats your pain from sore gum usefully.
Vitamin D contains anti-inflammatory property that can reduce swelling, recurred condition. If you get enough vitamin D, you will have lower risk of getting sore gum disease, especially in older people. In addition, vitamin D also aids the body in making full use of calcium from your daily diet, thus improving your periodontal health and enhancing the bone mineral density. You can take vitamin D from the sun at least twice per week. Or you can eat vitamin D rich foods such as cod liver oil, sunflower seeds, whole eggs, salmon, etc. Another option, you can also opt for taking a supplement after consulting your doctor.
Baking soda is used commonly in healing some health problems such as heartburn, ulcer pain, indigestion, insect bites, sunburn, sports, etc. This ingredient is also great for treating sore gum because it can neutralize the acids in your mouth, reduce risk of tooth decay, as well as gum disease. You can mix some baking soda to warm water as a thick paste and then use the mixture to brush your teeth.
Garlic is a delicious ingredient in your kitchen and it is added into many tasteful recipes. How to use garlic to cure sore gums? Like other home remedies for sore gums, this method is so simple. You can crush some garlic cloves or use some garlic powder to mix with salt. Apply the mixture on the affected area. You also can chew some garlic cloves to reduce pain, as well. This solution is useful and you can do it every day within a few days.
- Always brush and floss your teeth, especially after each meal.
- Avoid brushing your teeth too roughly because it can make your gums irritated.
- Change your toothbrush every 3 months and only use a toothbrush having soft bristles.
- Avoid consuming very hot or cold food & beverages.
- Avoid using tobacco products and alcohol because they can make the swelling and pain worse.
- Drink plenty of water during the day to promote the production of saliva. This will naturally help to kill bacteria.
- Visit your dentist for at least 1 time every 6 months for a professional check-up.
After reading 28 home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction, I hope that you have got the most useful information to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation from sore gums. This article is for informational purpose only, so you should go to see the doctor immediately if you cannot get better effect from those home remedies. If you have any question or you know other healthy home remedies for sore gums after tooth extraction, please leave them below.
If you want to get more useful and home remedies for many diseases, you might visit our main Home Remedies page.
Related articles on gum and tooth problems: