Tendons are strong cords or bands of your tissue that connect bone and muscle. They support to move your joints, bones when contracting muscles. Some main kinds of tendon injury are tendon rupture, tenosynovitis, tendinopathy, and tendonitis. Tendonitis is an inflammation of a tendon and it usually occurs in the lower parts, upper shoulder, torso, hips, etc. In this article, VKool.com will show you top 24 home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts of the body. Keep reading it and hope you will have something useful for the problem.
Top 24 Home Remedies For Tendonitis Of The Knee, Wrist, And Other Parts
Some typical symptoms of tendonitis are pain, stiffness, lump, swelling, sensation, weakness, etc. You can get tendonitis when playing sports and it can affect in different areas of the body including heels, fingers, knees, wrists, elbows, shoulder, and so on. Here are top 24 home remedies for tendonitis you should read right now; it will help you a lot:
7. Castor Oil
10. Cabbage Leaves
16. Aloe Vera
17. Use Ice Pack
18. Epsom Salt
19. Olive Oil
21. Cayenne Pepper
Using elastic bandages or warm wraps is very effective for reducing the amount of stress that is placed on your affected muscles. As a result, you can get instant relief from the swelling & pain. In addition, it also helps to speed up the healing process. Elastic bandages or warm wraps are always available in the market.
You should wrap your lower leg and foot with an elastic bandage or warm wrap. You ought to try to elevate your leg to reduce the blood flow to this area. For better result, you should wrap it for about a few days or till you get complete relief from the swelling & soreness.
On the other hands, you have to avoid wrapping the affected area too tightly because this can result in a poor blood circulation. Make sure that you have to loosen the wrap if you suffer from increased pain or a few other symptoms.
Using hot and cold wraps with vinegar is one of other home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts. It can help you to get rid of the pain and inflammation that are caused by tendonitis because the heat treatment is very useful in reducing the pain and keeping the sore muscles relaxed while the cold treatment will reduce the inflammation. Besides, vinegar also works as an excellent anti-inflammatory agent.
- Firstly, take equal amounts of water and white vinegar and then mix them together.
- Next, heat it in a clean pan.
- In another pan or small bowl, mix vinegar and cold water at the ratio of 1:1.
- Now, soak a clean towel in this hot mixture and wring it out to remove the excess solution.
- After that, wrap it around your affected area for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Next, soak the towel in this cold mixture and then follow the same process.
- You should repeat the process for 3 times.
- Finally, apply a little moisturizer to the skin.
Another good method in the list of top 24 home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts is surely acupuncture. According to a study in the Journal of Integrative Medicine in China in 2013, acupuncture can help you to improve the pain and activity in people with chronic tendonitis when compared with some eccentric exercises.
Besides, acupuncture is also effective in increasing the oxygen saturation and blood volume to the tendon, which will reduce the pain & swelling of your knee.
However, you should always look for a good acupuncture expert to treat tendonitis.
Looking for some home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts, you should not forget carbonated water. This water can assist you in getting rid of the inflammation and pain that is caused by tendonitis. In addition, thanks to the process of reverse osmosis, carbonated water aids in drawing out the excess fluid from your feet.
- Firstly, take the sugarless carbonated water and soak your affected area in this water for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- You should do this method for 2 times per day for a few days to see a significant reduction in the pain and swelling.
Massage is another one of home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts that you should give a try! A gentle massage will be very great for increasing the blood circulation, keeping the muscles relaxed, and reducing the swelling and stiffness. For this treatment, you can use coconut oil, sesame oil, mustard oil, or olive oil.
- At first, choose a type of oil and then slightly warm this oil.
- Then, use your fingers to gently massage your lower legs, feet, and heel with this warm oil for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- You should repeat this process for a few times per day until the pain is improved.
- If you cannot massage your affected area by yourself, you can get the help from a professional massage therapist or your friend.
The inflammation and pain can result from the free radicals. Being a fat-soluble antioxidant, vitamin E is excellent in getting rid of these free radicals. Therefore, it helps to reduce inflammation and pain caused by tendonitis very effectively. In addition, vitamin E also aids in improving the circulatory function, which will reduce the swelling and promote the healing process.
- You can use the oil from the vitamin E capsules to massage your affected area for about 2 or 3 times per day until you get relief from the pain completely.
- Another option, you can also eat the foods rich in vitamin E or get vitamin E supplements after you consult your doctor to help the body recover fast.
One of other home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts that you should try is castor oil. It can help you to reduce the symptoms of tendonitis very effectively. The oil mainly contains ricinoleic acid, an excellent anti-inflammatory agent.
Also, according to a study in the NSAP (Naunyn-Schmiedeberg’s Archives of Pharmacology) in 2001, the ricinoleic acid in this oil is comprised of capsaicin, anti-inflammatory and pro-inflammatory effects, which are observed on an acute and repeated application.
Apply castor oil directly to the affected area for 2 to 3 times per day to reduce the pain as well as inflammation caused by the tendon.
Ginger is great for getting rid of a few problems related to pain and inflammation. It contains anti-inflammatory & antioxidant properties that aid in minimizing pain, inflammation, and swelling, considering among effective home remedies for tendonitis. In addition, it is also excellent for improving the blood circulation to the affected area.
- Firstly, add 1 tablespoon of thin ginger slices to 1½ cups of clean water. Then, let it simmer for about 10 minutes to make ginger tea. Now, strain it and add honey to this tea. Finally, drink it. You should drink 2 or 3 cups of ginger tea per day. Or, you can add ginger to your daily cooking.
- Another option, you may take ginger supplements after consulting your doctor.
- Or, you can also use ginger oil to massage the affected area for a few times per day.
Another natural treatment in the list of top 24 home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts is turmeric. This herb is comprised of curcumin, a chemical compound that works as an anti-inflammatory agent to reduce pain & swelling caused by tendonitis effectively.
- Firstly, add 1 teaspoon of turmeric to 1 cup of milk.
- Then, bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Now, add a little honey to it and stir them together.
- Finally, drink this solution for 2 times per day to promote the healing process.
- Or, you can take curcumin supplements after consulting your doctor.
Cabbage leaves are very effective for reducing the soreness in the heel thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. If the pain of tendonitis makes you feel uncomfortable, you can use this treatment.
- At first, soak the fresh cabbage leaves in a bowl of water for about half an hour.
- Then, press these leaves in your affected area and then use a cotton cloth to wrap this area.
- Now, leave it for overnight.
- You should repeat this method for 2 or 3 days to get relief from inflammation and pain caused by tendonitis.
See more: Top 10 Foods Good For Bones And Joints
In fact, a raw potato can help to reduce inflammation by removing the excess fluid from your body. In addition, according to studies, potatoes also have pain relievers and sedatives, which can help you to calm down when the pain level rises up.
Therefore, don’t skip potatoes if you are looking for home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts.
- Firstly, boil a big potato.
- Next, let it cool down completely and then mash it finely.
- Now, apply this mashed potato to the affected area.
- After that, use a clean cotton cloth to wrap the area.
- Finally, leave it on there for half an hour.
- You should repeat this treatment for 2 times per day for 3 days to get the best results.
Another way in the list of top 24 home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts is the flour. It helps you to fight with the pain and speed up the healing process. However, people who are suffering from tendonitis are not suggested to have the floor because it may result in further complications and make the inflammation worse.
- Firstly, mix 2 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons of white wine to create a smooth paste.
- Then, apply this smooth paste to the affected area.
- Now, leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Finally, remove this paste with warm water.
- You should repeat this method for a few times per day.
Learn more: 35 Physical Therapy Exercises For Shoulder Pain
If you want to discover more home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts, you should have a look at the next part of this article!
Rosemary is used as an excellent way to relieve inflammation. In addition, it is also known as an anti-rheumatic, cardiotonic, and antiseptic agent.
- To make a tonic, mix 25 grams of rosemary with 250 cubic centimeters of ethyl alcohol.
- Then, place the mixture in a dark bottle having an air tight seal.
- Now, let it soak for 1 week and then strain the liquid.
- Finally, use this liquid to massage your affected area.
Learn more: 25 Interesting Facts About Alcohol Use And Abuse
Broccoli helps to give you visible results for combating swollen joints in a short time. Therefore, it is used as one of the most effective home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts.
- At first, take a few fresh broccolis and make a paste in a blender by adding a little water to it.
- Now, apply this paste to the affected area and wrap the area with a cotton cloth to keep it in place.
- Finally, leave it on there for 20 to 30 minutes before washing it with warm water.
- You should repeat this method for 2 times per day for several days.
Salt and vinegar are very effective for getting rid of soreness and inflammation caused by tendonitis. To make the solution for your bath, you can follow the directions below:
- At first, heat a little water and then pour it into a container containing a cup of vinegar and coarse salt.
- Then, soak your affected area in this water for about 15 or 20 minutes.
- You should repeat this way for 3 times per day to see improvement.
The last remedy listed in the top 24 home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other parts is aloe vera gel. Being an excellent regenerator, aloe vera gel helps to soothe inflammation and reduce pain and swelling.
- Simply, take 2 or 3 aloe vera leaves.
- Then, extract the juice from these leaves and mix it with 1/2 cup of hot water to make a type of warm puree.
- Now, make a compress with this mixture and then apply it to the affected area.
- Finally, leave it on for half an hour before removing it.
Ice pack is one of the most excellent home remedies for tendonitis on the knee, wrist, and other parts of your body. This is a simple method you totally can do at home every day. Simply, you use some ice cubes, wrap them with a soft towel, and apply them in the affected area for 15 minutes. This remedy will reduce pain, inflammation from tendonitis. You can use some frozen foods or fruits instead of using ice cubes. You can do this treatment several times each day to get the faster result.
Learn more: Restless Legs Syndrome Book
Like other home remedies for tendonitis, Epsom salt has advantages when healing the tendon pain and inflammation. Magnesium in Epsom salt is necessary to treat the tendon problem effectually. You can combine some Epsom salt with warm water, stir until it is dissolved. Then you soak your foot for 1 hour. You can do this treatment 2-3 times a week within some weeks. Another way to use Epsom salt is to mix warm water and Epsom salt, then use the washcloth to soak in the liquid, and compress your affected area for 15-20 minutes. This solution not only helps you reduce pain, but it also helps you feel relaxed and get satisfaction. You can moisturize your skin after applying this treatment because Epsom salt can make your skin dry.
Along with the benefit of improving health, using for beauty tips for hair, skin, and nail, olive oil is useful for some problems like tendonitis. Using olive oil to massage your infected area, you will reduce inflammation and pain effectively caused by tendonitis. You can massage foot, wrist, knee, shoulder, elbow, or any part of the body. Olive oil will improve blood flow, so you will get ease with the method. Now you get some warm olive oil and massage gently your painful region for 10-15 minutes. This treatment can be applied a few times per day.
Another effective way to eliminate inflammation caused by tendonitis is apple cider vinegar. You can consume apple cider vinegar to improve your health or use this ingredient directly to heal tendonitis. The method is to mix warm water, honey, and apple cider vinegar together and drink it. You can do this solution 2-3 times per day to get the best advantage. Apple cider vinegar is also used in healing some skin, hair problems and it can improve your overall health effectively.
Read more: Natural Foot Pain Remedies
Cayenne pepper is great in capsaichin, which is a natural chemical for reducing pain. This is one of the most common spices in the kitchen and its benefits are various. To treat tendonitis effectively at home with cayenne pepper, you can mix this ingredient with warm olive oil, apply the mixture onto the affected region for 15-20 minutes, and wash off with fresh water. You can apply this method as a kind of home remedies for tendonitis several times each day.
Being good in curative property, sage is helpful in healing tendonitis. This ingredient can soothe pain, inflammation from foot tendonitis well. simply, you can use fresh sage leaves and rub them onto your affected regions or boil sage leaves in apple cider vinegar, simmer, and let it cool naturally, you use a cotton cloth, deep in the liquid and apply it to the pain for 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can drink sage tea every day to reduce pain and inflammation successfully at home.
Chickweed is a useful herb to decrease tenderness, stiffness, pain, and inflammation because it contains some vital nutrients and vitamins. You just need to drink chickweed tea every day to reduce pain from tendonitis. Also, you can use chickweed as a kind of herb and apply it onto the affected region for some minutes, then wash with lukewarm water. You can do this method twice per day within a few days.
Working as a natural diuretic, asparagus is not only good for your health, but it is one of the best home remedies for tendonitis to flush out fluid from the system, reduce excess fluid, relieve inflammation, swelling, and pain caused by tendonitis. If you are getting tendonitis, you should eat asparagus much more. This ingredient is delicious when steaming and combining with fish, yogurt, etc. also, you can use asparagus to cook healthy soups, make salads for weight loss very well.
Home Remedies For Tendonitis – Additional Tips:
- When you are suffering from tendonitis, keep your knee, wrist, and other parts relaxed as much as possible. Don’t put weight on them, which can delay the healing process.
- Elevate the affected are to promote the healing process. Prop the area up on a pillow whenever you are lying or sitting down.
- When you are recovering from tendonitis, gradually increase the level of your activities.
- Avoid activities such as climbing stairs, running on hills, swimming, etc. because they put excessive stress on the tendons.
- Strengthen your calf muscles by doing exercises.
- Before and after doing exercises in the morning, stretch your calf muscles and tendons to prevent recurrence.
- Choose a pair of shoes that gives adequate cushioning for the heel when exercising.
- Use new, well-cushioned shoes rather than worn-out shoes.
- Avoid wearing high heel shoes daily because it has a tendency to increase the risk of developing tendonitis.
To sum up, these home remedies for tendonitis of the knee, wrist, and other are so excellent. However, if you suffer from the increased pain after trying these remedies, consult your doctor.
Related articles on tendonitis:
If you want to get more useful and home remedies for many diseases, you might visit our main Home Remedies page.
After reading the article about top 24 home remedies for tendonitis, I hope that you have got the most useful treatments to cure pain on knee, wrist, and other parts of the body. This article is for informational purpose only, so you should go to see the doctor immediately if you cannot get the better effect from those home remedies. If you have any question, please leave your comments below and I will respond to you soon.