Respiratory infection along with a serious cough is well-known as a whooping cough. Those affected by coughs with a whooping noise – a very loud sound, are considered whooping cough patients. This disease often affects infants but it can also affect adults and elderlies. The patients have symptoms of the condition within 10 days of the infection. Besides serious coughs, the patients have running nose, fever, and cold. The eyes will become red and the nose will become congested. Fatigue and vomiting occur if the disease is really serious. You can deal with this issue by making use of some natural remedies right at the comfort of your own home. Keep reading this article and learn about some best home remedies for whooping cough.
Best Home Remedies For Whopping Cough – Natural Treatments To Apply For People With All Ages And Genders:
Whooping cough, also known as pertussis, is a highly contagious bacterial infection. It is triggered by bacterium Bordetella pertussis, infecting the lining of the airways such as the bronchi and trachea.
This disease spreads fast through the sneezes and coughs of an usual patient. It affects small babies primarily, but adults and teenagers can be infected as well.
Once infected with the bacteria, it will take about seven to ten days for symptoms and signs to be showed, though it often takes longer. During the very first stage, it has the same signs as mild coughing, sneezing, a runny nose, low fever, and the common cold.
If you cannot cure the infection timely, the coughs will turn into ‘coughing spells’ that last while you try to breathe in air with a high-pitched ‘whoop’ sound. You might even experience vomiting. Even adults with weak immune systems are at greater risks of contracting the infection.
Children under 6 months are also at higher risks. This infection is very dangerous to children, particularly those who have weak immune system. Such children might need hospital care.
Symptoms of a whooping cough:
- Possible rise in temperature
- Severe coughing
- Recurrent vomiting
- Labored breathing
- Watering eyes
- Running nose
- Nasal congestion
- Dry cough
The best method to prevent contracting whooping cough is making use of the pertussis vaccine. The vaccination will begin during infancy and even adults can make use of this method.
If you are suffering from a whooping cough, besides using remedies and medicines prescribed by your doctor, you can try making use of some natural remedies to shorten the duration of the infection soothe the symptoms.
Note: If your baby is struggling with excessive vomiting and breathing difficulties, then seek medical help right away.
Quick tips and simple natural home remedies for whooping cough to apply right away:
- Do not consume crumbly, dry foods because they can cause a cough spasm.
- Avoid food allergens like starch, wheat, dairy, and sugar foods.
- Add more vitamin C-rich foods into your diet to shorten the duration of a whooping cough.
- You should always wear a mask when going out
- While coughing, wash your hands often and remember to cover your mouth.
- Keep your home free of irritantslike tobacco or fire smoke as they can lead to coughing.
- Drink plenty of fluids like soups, juices and water to prevent dehydration.
- For faster recovery, get plenty of rest.
- Avoid exposure to moisture and cold because they can make your disease worse.
- In a handkerchief, tie a small camphor piece and sniff it from time to time.
- Mix 2 tsps. of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of water, add some honey (raw) and consume the solution two to three times on a daily basis. It will help a lot in fighting the infection and clearing up congestion.
- Consume one or two glasses of grape juice per day. This will help to boost your recovery process.
In the next sections of this article, you will have a chance to discover a list of the best natural home remedies for a cough that comes with the requirements for just some simple ingredients available in nature and sometimes, in your kitchen for instant use. The list includes:
This is actually the first one of the most useful and best home remedies for whooping cough revealed in this article and my readers should learn and remember to make use every day.
In Ayurveda, saffron is highly suggested for dealing with pertussis and dry coughs. This useful spice contains antibacterial properties that can help in destroying the bacteria responsible for whooping coughs. Moreover, being an expectorant, saffron can help a lot in loosening phlegm so that you can breathe easily. There are 2 methods that can help you deal with and beat off whooping coughs with the support of saffron at the comfort of your own home:
- Steep six saffron stigmas in half a cup of hot water within about five minutes.
- Take this infusion 2 – 3 times per day for at least 1 week.
Another one on the list of the best natural home remedies for whooping cough that I would like to reveal in this article is chamomile.
Regular consumption of herbal tea, such as chamomile tea, can also give you a good relief from the signs of whooping coughs. This herb has immune-boosting, anti-inflammatory, and soothing properties that can help in easing signs and promoting fast recovery.
- Add one or two tsps. of dried chamomile flowers to 1 cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep within five minutes.
- Strain the solution and add honey and lemon juice according to your taste.
- Consume this tea three or four times per day for 2 – 3 days.
Not only good for brain health, chamomile is also perfect for fighting against a whooping cough, so make use of it!
Both almond nut oil and almond nuts are very useful for treating pertussis. Almonds are abundant in antioxidants as well as phytochemicals that can help in easing the symptoms. Almond contains immune-boosting properties as well. There are 3 ways you can make use to treat this condition as the best home remedies for whooping cough with the support of whooping cough:
- First, prepare a chest rub with 1 tsp. of almond oil and four or five drops of any essential oil like camphor, rosemary or eucalyptus oils. Use this oil to rub gently onto your chest for about 3 – 5 minutes. Use it as your demand.
- Alternatively, you can try soaking five to seven almonds in water and allow it to overnight. Remove the skin of the almonds and them into a fine paste. Add to the paste a tsp. of butter and consume it three times per day until your symptoms improved.
- Another option is to mix five drops of almond oil with ten drops each of fresh ginger juice and white onion juice. Consume this combination three times per day for at least 2 weeks.
This is also one on the list of natural home remedies for whooping cough that I would like to reveal in the article today and want my readers to learn and remember to make use for good!
Another home remedy for whooping cough you can make use is to opt for licorice herbal remedy. It can act as a demulcent, meaning that it will coat the throat with a thin film of mucilage to protect delicate tissues from continuous coughing. Moreover, itcan help a lot in clearing congestionfrom the bronchial tubes and lungs. There are 2 simple ways that you can make use to reduce the symptoms and signs of whooping coughs with the help of licorice right at home:
- Firstly, try mixing half a tsp. of licorice powder with some honey and consume the solution three times per day for 3 – 5 days.
- Alternatively, try putting a tsp. of dried powdered licorice root in two cups of water and boil it within about five minutes. Remove the tea from heat and allow it to steep within about ten minutes. Strain the tea and consume it 1 times per day for about 3 – 5 days.
In fact, this is one of the best home remedies for whooping cough that I want to release in this article and want you and my other readers to learn and make use as soon as possible to deal with the current issue.
Lemon can also help a lot in treating pertussis without making use of drug, pill, or medications. Lemon contains citric acid that can help a lot in reducing the thickness of throat mucus, and its powerful antiviral and antibacterial properties can aid in fighting against the infection. Moreover, lemon contains vitamin C that can help to improve the immune system as well. You can opt for one or both of these natural home remedies for whooping cough with the help of lemon at home without meeting any difficulties:
- First, you can choose taking half a lemon and sprinkle pepper and salt over it. Slowly lick that lemon to soothe your throat’s irritation.
- Another option is to add to 1 glass of warm water with 1 tbsp. of freshly extracted lemon juice and some raw honey. Consume the mixture several times throughout the day for 2 – 3 days.
Oregano is another useful herbal remedy for respiratory infections, including a whooping cough. This herb has expectorant, antibacterial, and antispasmodic properties that can help in clearing mucus from the lungs and easing dry coughing. Here are 3 simple ways with the support of oregano you can make use to deal with and beat off the signs and symptoms of a whooping cough right at your own home:
- You can opt for consuming oregano herbal tea two or three times per day to soothe your throat after coughs.
- Another option is to mix ten to fifteen drops of oregano oil within two tbsps. of jojoba or olive oil. Use this combination as a chest rub before your bedtime to ease a coughing while sleeping.
- Boil a pan of water and add five or six drops of oregano oil (pure) to it. Use a towel to cover your head and inhale the steam. Apply this tip two or three times on a daily basis for 3 – 5 days to ease coughing.
Actually, this is one of the most effective and best home remedies for whooping cough that I want to reveal in this entire article and people who are looking for ways to improve the overall health and reduce severe coughs should learn and make use for good!
Another very useful home remedy is raw honey. Due to the presence of powerful healing, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties, honey can help in killing the bacteria that trigger the infection as well as easing the signs of the condition. There are 3 simple ways to make use of honey to deal with the symptoms of whooping cough:
- The first one you can try is to mix together 1 teaspoon each of freshly extracted radish juice and honey. Add a little rock salt and consume this combination three times per day.
- Before bedtime, consume one tsp. of raw honey with half a tsp. of powdered cinnamon. This will be able to help you sleep better.
- Add to 1 glass of warm water with a tbsp. of raw honey and consume it slowly. Do this 2 – 3 times on a daily basis. This drink will have a soothing effect on the throat.
This is actually also one out on the list of the most available and natural home remedies for whooping cough that everyone should know and not skip yet try to make use as soon as possible if they really want to find natural ways to stop this health issue quickly at home.
Garlic can work effectively as a natural antibiotic to treat a whooping cough. It contains antiviral and antibacterial properties, making it very useful for clearing the whooping cough issue. There are 3 easy ways for you to deal with and beat off the whooping cough issue right at the comfort of your own home using garlic and some other ingredients:
- The first choice for you is to take a tbsp. of garlic syrup on a daily basis. In case of using for small kids, parents can give them a tsp. of garlic syrup. To make this syrup, grind or mince a pound of garlic, add two cups each of apple cider vinegar and distilled water to it. Transfer the mixture to a glass container and allow it to stay for 4 hours at least. Strain the combination through a sieve or cheesecloth. Finally, mix one to 1.5 cups of local or raw honey to it.
- Alternatively, try adding a tbsp. of garlic (chopped) to a pot of boiling water. Use a towel to cover your head and inhale the vapor. This remedy is not recommended for very small kids.
- Another option is to take a tsp. of fresh garlic juice two or three times on a daily basis for about 1 week.
In fact, garlic is among the best ones on the list of natural home remedies for whooping cough that those living and struggling with this health issue should make use as soon as possible for good!
Another one out on the list of natural home remedies for whooping coughs people should not look down but make use as regular as possible to improve their overall health and avoid coughs making use of any type of drugs, pills, or medications is turmeric.
Turmeric has antiviral and antibacterial properties that can aid effectively in treating whooping cough. It contains a therapeutic effect on coughs, especially dry coughs, one of the major signs of this condition. Its immune-boosting property can also help your body deal with and beat off infections. It is a stimulant for appetite with anti-cancer, anti-oxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties restoring overall health and cellular order. There are 3 simple ways to deal with signs and symptoms of whooping cough with the support of turmeric:
- First, after consulting a doctor for the proper dosage, you should try taking turmeric supplements, available in capsule form.
- Another choice is to drink warm milk mixed with half 1 tsp. of turmeric power 2 times daily to reduce the symptoms.
- Alternatively, you can try mixing together ¼ – ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and a tbsp. of raw honey. Take it 2 times per day until you feel better.
Another one out on the list of list of the best home remedies for whooping cough that people should make use is ginger. Ginger has a compound called gingerol that contains anti-inflammatory potential.
Ginger is a great expectorant that can aid in treating whooping coughs. It can also contain antibacterial effects that can help in destroying the bacteria that can lead to this health issue. In addition, it contains immune-boosting properties that can aid a lot in helping to fight against and beat off the disease and boost the recovery process. There are 3 ways you can make use with ease right at the comfort of your own home with the help of ginger to deal with and beat off the signs and symptoms of whooping coughs:
- First, boil tow tsps. of fenugreek seeds in two cups of water until the amount of the water is reduced by half. After that, add to one cup of the prepared fenugreek decoction with one tsp. of freshly extracted ginger juice and a little raw honey. Consume this solution once per day for 2 – 3 days.
- Another option is to mix equal amounts of onion juice, lemon juice, and ginger juice. Take one tbsp. of this mixture 2 to 3 times per day.
- Alternatively, mix together a tbsp. each of freshly extracted ginger juice and raw honey. Take this two times per day for 2 – 3 days or more if needed.
11. Salt Water:
Prolonged coughing can trigger minute rips on your throat. It is crucial to keep these cuts clean and the best method to do that is gargling with salt water (warm). It can also help in reducing discomfort and keep your throat clear.
Things required: Water, Salt
Add to warm water with a little amount of salt in and mix it well to allow the salt to dissolve in water. You should do gargling with this solution until you see the improvement. It can soothe the throat while curing inflammation in it.
If you were dealing with a whooping cough, then after referring over this natural remedy, you should be in a better position to soothe your throat and cure a dry cough as well.
In fact, this is among the best home remedies for whooping cough that I would like to introduce in this entire article and want you and my other readers to learn and make use as soon as possible at home.
Onion is very good for curing whooping coughs in a useful manner. Onion contains a chemical compound named allicin that can help to cure a dry cough, one of the major symptoms of whooping cough.
Ingredients: Honey, Onion
Directions: Add crushed onions to boiling water. Adding some honey to sweeten the drink. Drink it.
You can also make onion juice to drink so as a useful treatment for whooping cough. Add honey into the drink to give it a better taste. Keep the mixture for 60 minutes. Then, drink the solution to achieve the best results as desired.
In fact, onion is also among the best home remedies for whooping cough that I would like to introduce in this entire article and you should not ignore or look down.
13. Fenugreek Seed:
Fenugreek seed is also a useful natural treatment for whooping cough you can make use at home, and in fact, this type of seeds is very easy to find and buy in any food store in your locality.
Things required: Honey, Fenugreek seeds
Directions: Use these seeds to prepare a decoction as a remedy. Boil fenugreek seeds in water. Cook the solution till the quantity is reduced by half. After straining the solution, add a little amount of ginger juice in it and then consume it. Add some honey if you like a sweet taste.
14. Inhaling Steam:
Inhaling steam can also help to reduce the mucus. It can help to open the blocked respiratory tract as it can help to expel the cough. Prepare boiling water to fill a vessel. Bend over the vessel. Use a towel to cover the head and inhale the steam. Before taking the steam, you can add some essential oil in the water. Eucalyptus oil is recommended for this treatment.
This is also among useful natural home remedies for whooping cough that you should not skip or look down if you are dealing with this health issue.
15. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera is the best among natural home remedies for whooping cough. You need to use the juice extracted from aloe vera for this remedy. Mix some honey with this juice and stir both ingredients well. Drink this solution. The regular consumption of the mixture should be 1 tbsp. for a single dose. This home remedy can also help to cure the whooping cough issue in people who are smokers.
16. Drink Fluids:
It is crucial to increase the fluid consumption. It will be very useful in preventing issues triggered by dehydration. Dehydration and the lack of water can cause dry lips and less urination. You can prevent these issues by fluids, such as water. You can also opt for drinking fruit juices. Some people love eating hot soups as well.
In brief, drinking fluids is also among the best and most effective home remedies for whooping cough that you should try making use right from today if you are among those looking for natural methods to deal with and beat off the severe coughs without using drug, pill, or medication.
The last one on the list of the best home remedies for whooping cough that I would like to introduce in the article today and want you and my other readers to deal with and beat off this health issue is gargling.
Patients who deal with whooping cough should try the gargling method. It can help to soothe the throat while treating the inflammation inside. You should use salty water to do the gargling. Add some salt to warm water. Mix the solution well to allow the salt to dissolve in water. Do gargle with this solution.
I hope that after this article everyone will see how these 17 best home remedies for whooping cough useful and can help. Why do we have to go to the hospital or see doctors for expensive medicines to treat whooping cough while we have a lot of tips and natural remedies that can also work well for us at home? All the ingredients in this article can be found easily at any supermarket near your house at your locality, and their price is not a problem at all. It is easy for you to buy ingredients, simple to follow the instructions and very safe to use so that do not worry about the harmful side effects or the difficulties you may face while making use of these home remedies for whooping cough.
Another thing I want to share with all readers of VKool.com after the article today is to spend time reading the List Of 27 Best Cough Syrup Recipes To Make At Home. This is actually a useful article that will aid you a lot with your cough condition besides the article you are reading. This recommended list is the entire gathering of 27 best recipes of cough syrup that anyone in the world can follow with easy with simple natural ingredients. These recipes are mild and safe for health and also very effective in reducing coughs and soothing your throat after a cough as well. The ingredients included in this article are 100% natural so that they will not lead to any harmful side effect on users at all. One more thing, these recipes are very easy to apply with simple steps, so you just need to follow exactly the steps revealed inside these recommended recipes to make your own natural cough syrups and use to soothe your throat whenever you need.
The article today is an entire collection of the best natural home remedies for whooping cough that are proven to work well for several people around the world. These remedies do not require the use of any medical interventions so that readers should not worry anything about the harmful side effects while making use of them. If you see that this article is very useful for other people you know out there who are struggling with the whooping cough condition as well, just feel free to share this list widely and make use together with them. In addition, as an author of VKool, I really want to know what you and my other readers think about the content of this article, so do not forget to leave your comments and feedbacks in the section below. If you have any question to ask, just leave them here and wait for my replication. I promise that I will give you the best answers within the shortest time period.
Related articles about cough and throat related issues and how to deal with them at home without using medicines: