Acid reflux is a very common digestive disorder in the humans which is caused by the flow back of the stomach acid and other contents into the esophagus. It is when the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) functions improperly and makes the acid come back with uncomfortable feeling. No one expects to suffer from this bad condition, but there also some certain cases in which acid reflux occurs. The digestive disorder is able to take effects on the members of the same family, which also means that the genes inherited from the parents with acid reflux are the chances of suffering from this condition.
Some common symptoms of acid reflux are known as the heartburn, the burning sensation in the chest and upper abdomen, hard swallowing, nausea, and bloating. And it is worth remembering that the risks of acid reflux condition can be increased when being overweight or obese, eating a lot of fatty foods, smoking, drinking alcohol and coffee, consuming some certain medicine, and during the pregnancy. People have been tried many ways to treat acid reflux especially medical methods but they are really harmful to your health when coming with possible side effects. Therefore, home remedies are highly appreciated and honey is recommended as an excellent one. With a high level of nutrients and other healthy properties, honey is really ideal for using to treat acid reflux in the humans.
At the present, VKool.com would like to recommend you 11 effective ways of using honey for acid reflux treatment. All of the below- suggested recipes are ensured to be the best ones that are found from a various information source and they are safe and effective. You should consult our article to know more about the ways to treat this digestive disorder that has been ineffectively treated before by other medication. And now, just spend your little time reading our writing to get more health information as well as learn more ways to combine honey and other natural ingredients for acid reflux.
11 Ways On How To Take Honey For Acid Reflux Relief
1. Alone Honey
The simplest home remedy recommended is using honey for acid reflux relief. There are certain properties in honey that make it ideal for treating this digestive problem. Honey soothes and heals damaged tissues.
Honey is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and amino acid that are all necessary for the proper digestion. Plus, its antibacterial properties play a role in preventing bacteria from developing in the digestive tract and its potassium mineral is responsible for neutralizing stomach acids.
Moreover, honey coats the stomach and esophagus which prevents the irritation caused by the stomach acids. It also soothes the internal esophagus tract in order to relieve throat irritation. Honey, besides, can encourage the contraction of the LES then prevents the risks of acid reflux while aiding in healing the damaged LES tissues. Finally, it’s anti–inflammatory property is very beneficial in relieving pain as well as the inflammation in the chest and throat.
Here is the way to use alone honey for acid reflux:
- Prepare a glass of lukewarm water then stir 1 teaspoon of raw and organic honey in
- Consume the drink 1 hour prior each meal
- Alternatively, just consume 1 teaspoon of honey before each meal and before going to bed every day. You can also add honey to pancakes, toast, and waffles or combine it with fruit juice, herbal tea, and smoothies.
Note: Avoid eating anything after at least 20 minutes of directly consuming honey directly because this can reduce its efficacy.
2. Combination Of Honey And Lemon
Lemon, a citrus fruit, has been always considered as a trigger food to the acid reflux condition. It contains some certain contents that help soothe the symptoms of this digestive disorder. For example, when acid reflux causes throat burn, also known as laryngopharyngeal reflux and follow is the occurrence of a sore throat, hoarseness, chronic cough, lemons can aggravate these conditions by irritating the damaged tissues in the esophagus and throat. In brief, this citrus fruit neutralizes the acids in the stomach while killing the bacteria causing acid reflux.
Lemon can be perfectly combined with honey for acid reflux relief which also makes a very favored beverage. There are 2 directions as follows:
- Prepare a glass lukewarm water then stir 1 teaspoon honey and 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice in
- Consume the drink an hour before each meal or as the first thing of your empty stomach each morning.
- Drink the beverage regularly to relieve the acid reflux.
- Put a lemon in the fridge overnight then grate it by using cheese grate in the next morning
- Stir 1 ½ tablespoons of raw and organic honey and add the grated lemon in a glass of warm water
- Consume the drink 30 minutes prior to each breakfast to treat acid reflux.
3. Honey Addition To Ginger Tea
Besides honey, ginger is also considered as an effective remedy for any digestive problem and it specifically aids in reducing the backup of stomach acids and contents into the esophagus.
Ginger is very rich in anti–inflammatory property that is responsible for reducing the irritation and inflammation. It also absorbs excess acids in the stomach and stimulates the digestive process in order to prevent the gas buildup. Especially, ginger can tighten the lower esophageal sphincter which inhibits the stomach acid from flowing back.
The combination of ginger tea and honey for acid reflux relief is really a good one for anyone with this problem. There are 2 ways for combination:
- Stir 1 teaspoon of peeled and minced ginger in a cup of currently boiled water.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes
- Take the water out of the heat then stir 1 teaspoon honey in
- Consume the drink regularly.
- Mix 1 tablespoon grated ginger, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice and 2 tablespoons raw honey in 8 ounces of lukewarm water
- Consume the drink whenever suffering from the acid reflux as well as other digestive problem.
4. Honey Addition To Green Tea
Green tea has been used for acid reflux treatment over the last few decades. It has many health benefits that include the ability to regulate a proper digestive process due to its antioxidants and anticarcinogenic functions. Green tea and honey for acid reflux relief is really a good combination.
- Prepare a cup organic green tea then stir 1 teaspoon of honeyin
- Consume the drink whenever having acid reflux.
5. Combination Of Honey And Clove
Clove has been believed to be good for the digestion.
Therefore, it is revised to keep a clove in the mouth or add it to the tea which helps relieve acid reflux condition. In this way, clove is combined with honey for acid reflux relief which is easy to follow.
- Add 1 teaspoon honey to a pinch of clove powder then mix them well
- Stir the mixture in a warm water cup
- Consume the drink after each meal or whenever feeling the symptoms of heartburn.
6. Combination Of Honey And Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very rich in vitamins, minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus, which makes it beneficial in digesting and absorbing foods. The vinegar also prevents the risk of acid reflux by balancing the pH level of the LES and the stomach. With the consumption of apple cider vinegar, the LES will be supplied with adequate acidity necessary for keeping a proper functioning.
The combination of apple cider vinegar and honey for acid reflux makes a more effective treatment for this bad condition. And now is the directions:
- Stir 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
- Consume the drink whenever feeling the symptoms of heartburn.
7. Honey Addition To Warm Milk
Milk is not only a healthy beverage but also very beneficial for the digestive process. Especially, warm milk is able to soothe the stomach and esophagus which partly prevents the risks of acid reflux. The addition of honey to the warm milk makes the drink more tasteful and also more effective for this digestive disorder.
- Prepare a cup of low or free fat milk then stir 1 teaspoon of honey in
- Consume the drink on a regular basis to relieve the acid reflux symptoms.
8. Mixture Of Honey And Yogurt
It is not strange to say that yogurt is very good for the digesting system. It is because yogurt has a high level of probiotics, or known as beneficial bacteria in the digestive tracts, which improves the digestive strength and the overall health. This cool and alkaline food can soothe the esophagus while its calcium can strengthen the lower esophagus muscles and its rich source of protein can prevent the risks of acid reflux. Yogurt also reduces the inflammation, pain, and discomfort and while improving the intestinal motion.
In this way, the mixture of yogurt and honey for acid reflux is easily recommended as follows:
- Prepare a cup of low-fat and plain Greek yogurt (approximately 6 ounces)
- stir 1 teaspoon honey in the yogurt cup then eat
- Consume the mixture after each meal.
9. Mixture Of Honey And Cinnamon
Besides honey for acid reflux, cinnamon has been also considered to be an effective treatment for this digestive problem. With the antibiotic and antifungal properties, cinnamon reduces the stomach acids and facilitates the digestion. It is a certain ingredient in some health food recipes and this combination of honey and cinnamon is for acid reflux condition.
- Stir 1 teaspoon cinnamon in 2 cups of currently boiled water
- Lower the heat and simmer 5 minutes
- Take the solution out of the heat then stir 1 teaspoon honey in
- Consume the drink daily.
- Alternatively, mix 3/4teaspoon cinnamon powder with1 tablespoon honey and eat the mixture after each meal to stimulate the digestion. You can also use cinnamon powder and honey to coat a bakery of apple and pumpkin slices.
Read more: Health and beauty benefits of cinnamon
10. Combination Of Honey And Baking Soda
One of the important benefits of baking soda, a sodium bicarbonate, is its ability to treat acid reflux. It is able to neutralize the stomach acid and regulate the symptoms of GERD after meals. When used as an antacid, baking soda helps in preventing the flow- back of the stomach acid and other contents into the esophagus. It is also able to reduce the risk of esophageal damage in a long term.
Below is the combination of baking soda and honey for the acid reflux relief:
- Prepare a cup of warm water then stir 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of honey in until they are completely dissolved
- Consume the drink regularly to relieve acid reflux.
- Alternatively, stir 1 teaspoon of each baking soda, honey, and apple cider vinegar in 16 ounces of warm water then consume this drink before each meal when suffering from the heartburn.
11. Some More Tips
- There are some points essential to be noticed if you want to have the best results after using honey for acid reflux as follows:
- Always consume raw and organic honey and Manuka is recommended one that is more effective for this problem.
- People with diabetes should use honey with caution because it can raise the blood sugar levels. And those who are allergic to pollen or bee, of course, should avoid this liquid.
- When using other medications, consult your doctor before consuming honey for acid reflux as there may be other side effects.
- Those allergic to bees or pollen should not use honey to treat acid reflux.
- Don’t use honey for babies and children under 2 years old.
- Maintain a healthy diet and regular exercise can enhance the effects of honey for acid reflux treatments.
Learn more: The cruise control diet review
Related article: home remedies for acid reflux and heartburn
Our main Health page regularly updates the health information with the treatment for various diseases, so you should drop to get more information. After consulting our writing of 11 ways and tips on how to take honey for acid reflux relief, we hope that you can understand more about the digestive disorder and its effective treatments with honey. Our recommended methods are absolutely natural and safe and effective but don’t forget to carry out small tests to check your body reaction with them before using them as your main treatment. Please let us know if you have any so that we will answer you as soon as possible. And feel free to share with us your experiences or other ways of using honey for acid reflux.