Of course, every parent wants their children to become respected as well as behaved people. However, in some cases, it is hard for parents to achieve the goal because of their kids’ current misbehaviors. In fact, learning how to discipline children at school and at home is a “must” of every parent in the world.
I. How To Discipline Children At School And At Home – What Is Discipline?
Discipline is the method of teaching children to follow rules and behave in positive ways. They are supposed to know what types of behavior are acceptable and what types are not. Limits, punishments, and rewards are involved in discipline. Parents have to be patient and flexible in order to discipline children.
II. How To Discipline Children At School And At Home – The Best Methods For Parents
In this section of the article today, we would like to provide some effective discipline techniques and tips on how to discipline children at home and at school that parents should try. This article is divided into 3 main sections regard to the children’s ages, including:
- How To Discipline Small Children (Ages Between 2 And 6)
- How To Discipline Older Children Or School – Age Children (Ages Between 6 And 10)
- How To Discipline Teenage Children
1. How To Discipline Small Children (Ages Between 2 And 6)
This is the very first tip on how to discipline children at school and at home that we would like to introduce in this entire article and parents should not look down yet try making use as soon as possible for good!
- Some characters of small children (ages between 2 and 6)
Small children have physical, cognitive and emotional developments. During this period, children become stronger. They will learn how to think, reasons to act, and how to manage their feelings. They learn how to make simple conversations and decisions. So parents are supposed to be gentle and patient in order to discipline children at home.
- Techniques on how to discipline small children
- Take time to play with your children. Notice when you are playing with your children. Give them limited choices instead of requests. For example: “Would you like to draw on the book or would you like to draw on the board?”
- Make your children involved in working with you instead of letting them stay out of the trash. Even when you are cooking, let the children help you with simple tasks. You will have interesting memories together.
- Be positive and specific about everything. Avoid saying: “Why did you take this old knife? Why don’t you pay attention to anything?” Do say: “Give me the knife. But it is not very sharp. Take the sharper one next time”.
- Sometimes, it is helpful for you to encourage your children. Do not just say “good” or “bad”. Do not say: “You are a good girl”. Do say: “You helped your friend with her homework. That was so nice!”
- Use “positive time – out” wisely. This method is suitable for older children (more than 3 years old) who can understand the meanings of their behavior. Some experts have said that the most effective method to deal with misbehavior is to help children feel encouraged so that their misbehavior is removed. Let the children sit in a place where they can not be distracted by anything. Explain what they did wrong and what they must do the next time. After a timeout, notice when the children behave better. You can help them to reach the goal by giving them helpful tools. When your children behave correctly, you are advised to reward your children with things they like. These things do not have to be big. In fact, this is also among the best tips on how to discipline children at school and at home that parents should not look down yet making use right from today for good!
- It’s useful to use facial expressions and body language to discipline children and show how you feel. Children will know whether their behavior has made you happy, upset or angry. Remember to encourage your child if he or she behaves appropriately. Bad behavior will tend to decrease.
- Letting the children discipline themselves is one of the most natural techniques on how to discipline children. One expert said that if you make your expectation clear for the kids to understand, they will remember the expectations and expect the same thing for themselves. It means children tend to act in the way you have taught them to. If your kid is around 2 years old, he or she will catch your focus faster and resist less. However, if your children feel bad because they make mistakes. Do not immediately comfort them. They will learn how to act better next time.
- In order to discipline children, you should let them make their own decisions. It is important to give children opportunities to make their own decisions as soon as they can. Use questions like: “Which fruit would you like to eat, orange or apple?” or “Do you want to wear this white T-shirt or the black one?” instead of “Which fruit would you like to eat?” or “Which T-shirt do you want to wear?” Give options for your kids to choose. You will be surprised at the ways they answer.
- Moreover, you should make your children think things out. It means giving them more challenges in finding the best solutions for themselves. For example, your kid is going to have a picnic with his or her classmates. Ask your kid: “What kinds of food would you like to take?” or “What activities are you going to have?” That will improve your child’s cognitive skills.
- Young children tend to have less patience than adults. They often request their needs to be met immediately. Parents are advised to encourage their children to take part in activities that increase patience. Planting a tree seed and watching its growth, playing puzzles…can be helpful. It is also important for adults to ask their kids to be patient. Just demonstrate why they have to be patient and the results of impatience. Sometimes, it is possible for you to make them wait before meeting their needs. It will give them great chances of developing the sense of patience. In fact, this is one of the best tips on how to discipline children at home and at school that we would like to introduce in the entire article today and parents should follow as soon as possible for good!
- In order to discipline children, it is important for parents to teach empathy to their young children. There are many natural opportunities for you to catch. For example, if you see your kid sharing his or her favorite cake with his or her friend, just say: “I’m so proud when you behave like that. Your friend must be happy and satisfied. Did you notice that she or he was smiling?” Your kid will understand how good behavior affects other people.
2. How To Discipline Older Children Or School – Age Children (Ages Between 6 And 10)
- Some characters of school – age children
School – age children (ages between 6 and 10) have physical, emotional and intellectual developments. Their muscle strength improves rapidly. Many complex skills are developed such as playing soccer, football … Their ways of thinking become more logical, which enables them to give clear decisions. However, they can consider some parts of a situation, and they still need their parents’ help in order to give out right decisions.
- Techniques on how to discipline school – age children
- Experts advised that parents must establish limits in order to discipline children at home and at school. Many school-age children play online for hours a day. They even can eat noodles 3 times a day. That is because their parents do not set limits for them. Therefore, having appropriate limits is important for school – age children. However, parents are advised to set limits that are reasonable for their children. The punishment for breaking the rules should be clearly pointed out. You even can get the older children involved in the process of setting limits. This makes your children feel that their opinions are respected and their good behavior will be appreciated. When your children are old enough, you can let them set their own limits. Teach them how to judge their daily behavior. This is also among the best tips on how to discipline children at school and at home that we would like to introduce in this article.
The most important thing on how to discipline children is: parents have to be a good mode. Your everyday behavior will cause great affects on your children’s behavior. For example, putting the dirty dishes in the sink, hanging your coat in the closet when you are coming home… These simple things will show the children the rules to follow.
Disciplining school – age children has its unique challenges.
- In order to discipline children, parents should keep the rules as simple as possible and avoid too many details so that your children can easily remember the rules. Let your children involved in setting the rules by listening to their opinions. Let them express their feelings and thinking. Gently talk to them about what make them unhappy or disappointed. Do not shout or speak loudly. However, you must be firm and consistent if needed. Guide your children to a good behavior you would like to see. Say it in positive manners. Do not say: “Don’t put this knife here”. Do say: “You should put this knife over there or it can hurt you”.
3. How To Discipline Teenage Children
- Some characters of teenage children
This is one out of the tips on how to discipline children at home and at school that parents should not look down! Parents often have many difficulties in disciplining their teen- age children. As teens become grown up and independent, they tend to show more bad behaviors such as lying, arguing, drinking, smoking, cheating… Their thoughtful decisions have not been fully developed. During this period, “time – out” seems not to be an ideal method. Teaching teenage children about the real world is necessary for parents in order to discipline children at home and at school. Do it in logical and natural ways, take it in your lifestyle
- Techniques on how to discipline teenage children
- Let your teenage children experience the natural consequences of their good or bad behavior. For example, if your children often get up late and go to school late. Show them a logical consequence of being late and suggest for an earlier bedtime. Natural consequences will show your teenage children the importance of rules and the results that will occur if they break the rules.
- Sometimes, you can even ignore your child’s mild misbehavior. However, serious misbehavior must never be ignored. This is also a great one on the list of tips on how to discipline children at school and at home that should be applied.
- Give your teens chances for restitution. It means that if your teenage children’s bad behaviors hurt someone, as her/his parent, you need to let him or her repair the damage by doing the right thing. This is actually a great tip on how to discipline children at school and at home that every parent should try!
- As you know, punishment and rewards are involved in discipline. If your teens have certain good behavior, give them simple rewards which can be effective tools to motivate them to change for the better.
- In order to discipline children, it is necessary for you to give extra responsibilities for your teens. Look for things that your teens can do like cleaning the floor, washing the dishes or cooking… These extra chores will make your teens become responsible for their behavior. Assigning extra chores can be used as a way of restitution. For example, if your teen breaks the table while playing, you can ask him to fix the table or do some chores. Another example, if your teen leaves trash on your car, tell her or him to wash the car.
- Teens often complain too much about things happening at school such as bad friends, strict teachers, homework or the depression of exams… So parents are supposed to help their teens have a positive attitude towards school First, show your interest in their concerns. Listen carefully to know what they feel. Avoid saying: “That is not a big deal”. Then ask your teen questions like: “What is the best things happening today?”. You will make the conversation more positive.
- Furthermore, working with teens to look for solutions is an effective technique to discipline children. Help your teens create clear goals, which can make them have positive attitudes towards school.
- Encourage your teens to participate in school activities like volunteer work, sports or clubs…
- Some teens study hard, complete their homework without being told. However, some do not. They feel bored with doing homework. So parents need to motivate them to work harder. Parents should create clears rules about homework. Establish homework time each evening. Show your teens ways to manage the time, how to finish homework, how to get rid of distractions. Some teens like the idea of having rewards if they get good grades at school. Therefore, parents should create small goals with immediate rewards. These rewards do not need to be expensive but are needed if you want to motivate your teens to have good grades.
- Parents have to be their children’s friends in order to discipline children. Many parents and teens avoid talking about sexual issues because they both feel embarrassed and uncomfortable. As the result, teens are more likely to have sexual misbehaviors. Make sure to talk to your teens about sex and provide them with the needed information. Make sure that your teens are comfortable when talking about this issue. One common mistake of parents: they avoid talking about sex with their teens because they think it will motivate their teens to become sexually active. The fact is an opening conversation is good for your teens. Show the positive and the negative aspects of sex for your teens. This is actually the last tip on how to discipline children at home and at school that parents should keep mind in and try making use as soon as possible.
After introducing this article with the best tips on how to discipline children at home and at school, we would like to suggest you and other readers that you should read another article – the List Of The Best Tips On How To Improve Social Skills In Toddlers, Children And Adults article. This is actually a brand new useful writing for you and other people who want to help children and even yourself learn the best ways to improve some essential social skills fast and effectively. The tips and tricks revealed in this article are very useful and simple to follow, so do not worry about anything when making use of this suggested article. Along with the article today, you will be able to become the best parents, who can help your children grow up well with the best knowledge of life, wrong, and right things.
The article today contains the best tips on how to discipline children at school and at home that are very simple to follow so that every parent in the world can make use of it without concerning about the difficulty or effectiveness of the advice revealed inside this article. If you see that this writing is very useful for you and maybe for anyone else out there who also have small kids, feel free to share this list widely and make use together with other parents around your house. As the author of Vkool, we would like to know our dear readers’ opinions and feedbacks after reading the article. Therefore, do not forget to leave your ideas, contributions, and opinions in the comment section below. We promise that we will reply all your questions as soon as possible.
Here are some related articles on the children topic and how to improve social skills for children: