A stiff neck is characterized by the neck soreness with difficult movement along the sideways. This condition can be caused by pain in the arms, shoulder pain, or headache. Also, wrong sleeping position, improper posture, jerk, contact sports, stress, or forceful sneeze can cause this disease. Some symptoms you recognize the neck stiffness are fever, a headache, muscle spasm, uncomfortable feeling when you sleep, neck pain, upper back pain, shoulder pain, limited movement etc. In this article, VKool.com will show you top 16 tips on how to get rid of a stiff neck fast and effectively at home. This writing is for informational purpose only, so you should go to see the doctor if the problem is not reduced after several weeks.
How To Get Rid Of A Stiff Neck Fast And Effectively At Home
1. Massage Therapy
Massage is a simple method that can treat a lot of conditions and common pains at home. This therapy will relax your muscles, increase blood circulation, and reduce the stiffness very well. also, massage the neck and pain will help you sleep better at night:
- Take a warm bath to relax your muscles.
- Warm mustard oil, coconut oil, or olive oil.
- Apply the oil on the painful area.
- Gently massage the stiffness several times.
- You can have a help from your spouse, friend, or beloved people to massage for you.
Learn more: The Book On TMJ Treatment
2. Do Neck Exercises
Doing exercises does not only help you improve your health, but it also helps you neck stiffness effectively. How to get rid of a stiff neck with neck exercises? Now you can follow this instruction:
- Sit up and relax your body.
- Forwarding your head and back warding your head. Repeat the movements for some minutes.
- Tilt the head toward the right shoulder and then toward the left shoulder. Repeat the process for several minutes.
- Turn your head slowly and look the right, then look the left. Do not turn your body. repeat the exercise for some minutes.
- Roll your shoulder gently to stop the exercise.
- You should do it every day and avoid over-exercising.
- You also can go swimming regularly for preventing neck stiffness.
3. Cold Compresses
Cold compresses are easy treatment and commonly used by many people in treating conditions such as swelling, infection, and stiff neck. Actually, cold compresses will reduce the lactic acid buildup, decrease the numbness, and eliminate soreness very well. This therapy also helps you get rid of the neck stiffness fast and effectively at home. Simply,
- Take some ice cubes and use a thin towel to wrap them.
- Hold the compress on your neck for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat it every 2 hours for two days.
- You also can replace a frozen bag instead of using ice cubes.
4. Heat Therapy
Like cold therapy, heat therapy is also effective in eliminating stiff neck. The heat will improve blood flow and reduce stiffness accordingly.
- Method 1:
- You can prepare a hot water bottle, a heating pad, a hot towel, or a heat wrap.
- Apply the hot compress on the neck area for 10 minutes.
- You can do it 3-4 times daily to relieve the pain.
- Method 2:
- Take a warm shower on the neck for 5 minutes. Do not move your neck while doing this treatment.
- Do it 2-3 times per day.
5. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is made of a compound including magnesium sulfate that can relieve neck stiffness very well. This ingredient can regulate the enzymes in your body and increase circulation fast. Also, Epsom salt can reduce stress and muscle tensions well. How to get rid of a stiff neck at home with Epsom salt?
- Add some cups of Epsom salt in warm water.
- Soak in the warm bathwater for 15-20 minutes.
- Do it 3 times per week.
- Warning: you should not apply this method if you get diabetes or kidney problems.
6. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil can soothe the muscle stiffness effectually due to its analgesic property. This oil also relieves discomfort and pain from neck stiffness. How to get rid of a stiff neck with peppermint oil? Here is the method:
- Method 1:
- Microwave some teaspoons of olive oil for some seconds.
- Add some drops of peppermint oil.
- Massage the neck with the mixture.
- You can apply this remedy twice per day for several days.
- Method 2:
- Prepare a bowl of cold water, add some drops of peppermint in the water.
- Use a washcloth to soak in the mixture.
- Put it on the affected region for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat it if necessary.
- However, do not apply peppermint oil for children or some people who have sensitive skin.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can reduce stiff neck successfully. This ingredient also can reduce pain and prevent a strain of muscle due to deficiencies of nutrients. There are some options you can choose as below:
- Method 1:
- Use a paper napkin and soak it into raw apple cider vinegar.
- Place the napkin on the affected region for some hours.
- You can apply the method twice per day to get a better result.
- Method 2:
- Add some cups of raw apple cider vinegar into the bathwater.
- Soak in the warm bathwater for 15 minutes.
- Do it every day to reduce the pain.
8. Cayenne Pepper
Another simple and effective remedy for a stiff neck is cayenne pepper, which has capsaicin, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that can reduce inflammation and pain very well. How to get rid of a stiff neck with cayenne pepper? Here is the method:
- Method 1:
- Combine some tablespoons of warm olive oil with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Apply the mixture on the affected region, use a bandage to cover it and leave it for some hours.
- Do this for several days.
- Method 2:
- You can massage your affected area with some lotion or cream that has capsaicin or cayenne pepper.
- Method 3: you also can add cayenne pepper into daily dishes to have a quicker recovery.
Having anti-inflammatory property, turmeric is very useful for reducing pain and discomfort from a stiff neck. This ingredient also helps you improve blood circulation very well. Here are some ways to use turmeric to get rid of a stiff neck at home:
- Method 1:
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder into a glass of milk.
- Heat it for 5 minutes.
- Cool it naturally and add some honey to drink twice per day.
- Do it for several days.
- Method 2:
- You can supply turmeric by taking capsule after consulting your doctor.
- Method 3: add turmeric into your daily diet.
Coming from China, acupressure is a helpful treatment to get rid of a stiff neck, particularly when the problem is caused by your bad posture.
- It is very simple, you just need to massage the right hand if your have stiffness on the right side.
- You will need to have pressure on the fingertip and keep the pressure for some minutes.
- Meanwhile, you can rotate your head from side to side.
- Moreover, you can try to do qigong, moxibustion, cupping, etc.
11. Take A Rest And Relax
Do you feel uncomfortable with neck stiffness? One of the best things you should do is to reduce stress and take your time to relax and have a rest. There are several ways you can do at home to get rid of the problem very well are:
- To find a peaceful place that you do not have any disturbance or interruption.
- Lie down and close your eyes and relax entire your body.
- You also can sit down, slowly and deeply breathe. Inhale and exhale slowly and completely that can suck gently in your stomach.
- Instead, you can do some yoga, meditation, exercises you are interested in.
12. Have A Good Posture
Having a good posture is really necessary to reduce and get rid of a stiff neck. In fact, many people do not have the right routine that practice to have a good posture, on the contrary, they have some mistakes in sitting down, standing up, and so on. What is the effective solution?
- You can stand tall, and lean the back to the wall, your heels are far some inches from the wall.
- Keep the shoulders and buttocks touch the wall.
- Keep the back of your head close to the wall.
- Keep the chin straight.
- Now you stay away from the wall and check if your position is improved.
- Try to implement the exercise every day.
13. Homemade Analgesic
In order to reduce a stiff neck fast at home, you totally can make a homemade analgesic reduce the neck pain. That is really simple, you can prepare some eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil, beeswax, and coconut oil.
- Now you melt some tablespoons of coconut oil with a tablespoon f beeswax.
- Pour the mixture in a pot and heat it.
- Add some drops of eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil.
- Cool it naturally and apply the mixture on the neck to get rid of the pain usefully.
- Store the remaining part in a container for the future use.
14. Camphor And Menthol
Camphor is solid, white, flammable, and waxy with a strong odor. This ingredient is made from the camphor wood and its source is from Asia. Do you know that camphor can increase blood circulation and reduce swelling very effectively? Meanwhile, menthol is a good herb that contains cooling property to reduce pain shortly. To treat a stiff neck, you can combine camphor and menthol, then rub the mixture on the affected region every day. you can do it several days for a better result.
15. Lavender Oil
Lavender is a useful herb that you can take advantage of its oil and the flowers to make medicine. This herb is used for healing depression, nervousness, insomnia, restlessness, upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, appetite loss, etc. some people also use lavender for acne, joint pain, headache, sores, sprains, toothaches, menstruation, and so on. As the result, lavender oil can be used to relieve neck pain. The method is:
- Warm some lavender oil.
- Apply it on the affected area.
- Gently massage it every day for several days to eliminate the problem naturally.
Like lavender, ginger is a herb that is available in every kitchen. this herb can be in the powdered, dried, and fresh form. Generally, ginger is used to treat stomach problems including nausea, diarrhea, gas, upset stomach, colic, morning sickness, vomiting, appetite loss. Also, ginger is very useful in treating bronchitis, cough, menstrual pain, muscle soreness, arthritis, burns, etc. For treating a stiff neck, you can consume ginger juice, ginger tea to reduce inflammation, soreness, pain. You also can rub some ginger oil on the pain, massage the affected region to relieve the discomfort quickly.
Related articles on neck pain:
If you want to learn more useful tips and tricks on how to take care of your health, you might visit our main How To page. After reading the articles about 16 tips on how to get rid of a stiff neck, I think that you have got some helpful solutions for treating the problem fast and effectively at home. Those remedies are natural so they are really safe and simple to follow, as the result, you totally can do it every day at home. However, for taking supplements, you should ask a doctor before having them. If you have any question or any comment, please leave it below.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- High calorie foods – fast food items with 1000 calories and more (infographic)
- Rocket Italian premium review – is Maria’s Italian course useful?
- What is autism spectrum disorder? – definition, symptoms & cures
- Rocket Korean premium review – Is Sujung Lee’s course useful?
- Top 7 all natural acne treatment tips
- 10 Natural Tips Of Deep Skin Abrasion Treatment
- Children learning reading review – does this course work?
- How To Exfoliate Skin Naturally Before Or After Shower At Home