Water retention refers to the excessive buildup of fluid in your body tissues. It often occurs in your feet and legs, but may also affect other parts of your body.
It can be result from many factors such as high sodium intake, lack of exercise, poor circulation, vitamin deficiencies, stress, venous insufficiency, pregnancy, menstruation, hot weather, high blood pressure, allergies, exposure to high altitudes, heart problems, kidney problems, liver disease, thyroid disorders, chronic lung disease, oral contraceptives, and certain medications.
Water retention usually causes puffiness and swelling in the affected areas. In addition, it can also cause stiff joints, a bloated feeling, increased pulse rate and blood pressure, and weight change.
In this writing, VKool.com will show to you top 23 ways on how to get rid of water retention naturally & fast without any side effect. This article listed the best methods to remove this problem from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Continue reading this article to understand more!
How To Get Rid Of Water Retention Naturally & Fast – 23 Ways
Seeking simple ways on how to get rid of water retention, garlic is the excellent choice for you. Garlic contains a diuretic property which can help to release the toxins along with water out of your body. In addition, this also aids in breaking down your body fat, losing your weight, and making you young and slim. Therefore, use this herb frequently in the cooking process as well as in soups, salads, etc. to get many benefits from this spice.
Way 1: Garlic cloves
- A few garlic cloves
- You take a few cloves of garlic and eat them in the morning.
- You chew them completely and you should also have them in the evening.
- Daily consumption of these garlic cloves will assist you in getting complete relief from this problem.
Way 2: Raw garlic cloves and bread spreads
- Raw garlic cloves – a few
- Bread spreads
- At first, you take several garlic cloves and place these cloves into a grinder or blender.
- Then, you blend them to make a paste.
- Next, you mix the paste with your bread spread finely and consume this.
- Or, you may also have garlic bread instead of the garlic paste in the bread spreads.
- You may do this way regularly to get rid of this problem.
Way 3: Garlic
- Garlic – a few cloves
- At first, you take a few garlic cloves.
- Then, you add them into your gravies, salad dressing, broths, stir-fries, soups, etc.
- Or, you may also include these garlic cloves in any form in the daily diet to get rid of your problem completely.
- You had better follow this way daily.
Learn more: Health advantages of garlic to the human body
2. Parsley Leaves And Water
Parsley is another effective way on how to get rid of water retention naturally & fast because it is considered as the best diuretic. Moreover, it is also rich in antioxidants, B-complex vitamins, calcium, and iron. Besides, it can also inhibit the reabsorption of the sodium and potassium that in turn leads to more fluid flow from your body through osmosis. In fact, this will increase the volume of the urine and clear this problem. Furthermore, its great diuretic property present in parsley will also help to cure many other problems such as urinary tract infection, edema, swelling, or kidney stones, etc. that are caused by water retention.
Way 1: Fresh parsley leaves and boiled water
- Parsley leaves – a handful
- Boiling water – 1 liter
- A teapot
- At first, you pour the boiled water into the teapot.
- Then, you add the fresh parsley leaves into this water.
- Next, you cover this teapot with a lid and let it steep for 10 to 15 min.
- Now, you strain this tea into another cup by using a strainer.
- Finally, you drink one cup of this parsley tea and then consume the remaining tea (6 to 7 cups) during the day.
- You should do this way regularly to get relief from this water retention problem completely as well as prevent its recurrence.
Way 2: Dried parsley and boiling water
- Dried parsley leaves – 2 teaspoons
- Or a tea bag
- Hot water – 1 cup
- At first, you add the dried parsley leaves or a tea bag into an empty cup.
- Then, you pour this hot water over the herb and cover it.
- Next, you steep it for 10 to 15 min by keeping it aside.
- After that, you strain the tea and drink it.
- You may have 4 to 6 cups of this tea per day.
Way 3: Parsley leaves
- Parsley leaves – a handful
- Firstly, you crush the fresh parsley leaves to make a fine paste.
- Then, you apply this paste onto the affected body parts.
- Now, you let it stay on for about 35 to 45 min.
- Finally, you wash this paste thoroughly with clean water.
- You had better continue repeating this way for two times per day on the regular basis.
3. Barley With Water And Lemon Juice
Barley is a good drink which has good diuretic properties that will give you instant relief from your swollen body parts caused by water retention. As you know, this water is used in various European countries for water retention. In addition, it is also an Ayurveda remedy for many other health problems and it is very safe for pregnant women to use the barley water to relieve their swollen legs caused by blood chemistry and hormonal changes during pregnancy.
Here is the detail that will explain you on how to get rid of water retention using barley.
Way 1: Barley, lemon juice, and water
- Whole grain barley – ¼ cup
- Water – 6 to 7 cups
- Lemon juice – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- At first, you take barley into a small bowl and rinse it off finely.
- Next, you add this barley into the water and then boil the water for 15 to 25 minutes.
- After that, you strain this mixture and add lemon juice into it.
- Finally, you stir them well and have this barley water.
- You may drink this water daily.
Way 2: Barley and water
- 3 tablespoons of barley
- 1 glass of water
- At first, you take a small bowl and add water into it.
- Then, you add barley into this water so that the water can cover this barley totally.
- Next, you let this barley soak for overnight and disturb it.
- After that, you strain this water and drink it immediately in the next morning.
- Now, you soak this barley into the water again and drink the strained water at night.
- You may follow this way for 2 times per day on the daily basis until you get relief from this problem completely and then repeat this way for two times per week to stop its recurrence.
4. Dandelion Leaves And Boiling Water
Being a good traditional herb, dandelion contains many medicinal properties, particularly used for kidney and liver problems, heartburn as well as other digestive issues. In addition, it also acts as a natural diuretic, which will facilitate your kidneys in increasing the urine volume to flush out the excessive salt from your body. Moreover, this is also high in iron, calcium, potassium, manganese, and magnesium that effectively cure the water retention. Therefore, regular usage of fresh or dried dandelion leaves in preparing tea is one of the best ways on how to get rid of water retention that you should try.
- Fresh or dried dandelion leaves – 1 teaspoon
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- A teapot
- Firstly, you place these dandelion leaves into the teapot.
- Then, you pour boiling water over this herb and cover this teapot with a lid.
- Next, you allow it to soak for 5 to 10 min.
- Finally, you strain this water and drink it immediately.
- You may take this tea for about two to three times per day.
Although dandelion is still a safe herb, some people can be allergic to the weed as well as this herb and if used frequently can result in milk gastric problem in some people.
This can interact with some certain medications such as diuretics, diabetes, and lithium drugs. Therefore, you should consult the doctor before having this herb as a remedy for water retention.
5. Corn Silk And Hot Water
If you are looking for some ways how to get rid of water retention, you should not pass corn silk. In addition, it is also used as a medicinal herb for curing the urinary infections and kidney disorders as well as reducing the edema and uric acid to prevent the water retention. This corn silk is also considered as an excellent diuretic that can effectively reduce the buildup of water in your body. Moreover, it also removes the toxins along with other wastes from your body to relieve this water retention problem and many other conditions such as arthritis and gout. Furthermore, it can also cleanse and purify your blood with the antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamin K, and polyphenols in it.
- ¼ cup of fresh corn silk
- Or 2 teaspoons of dried corn silk
- 1 cup of boiling water
- A teapot
- A strainer
- At first, you place the fresh or dried corn silk in the teapot.
- Then, you pour the boiling water over this herb and cover this teapot.
- Next, you steep it for about 5 to 7 min.
- After that, you use the strainer to strain the tea and have it.
- You may drink this tea for about twice per day on the daily basis.
- But ensure that the corn silk can interact with some certain medications such as blood thinners. Hence, you should consult your doctor before using this herb for the water retention problem.
6. Coriander Seeds And Water
Coriander seeds are also natural diuretics that can aid in preventing water retention and eliminating its recurrence. They contain potassium that makes it become a great way on how to get rid of water retention. In addition, they also contain other components such as vitamin A, K, and C, folic acid, riboflavin, iron, calcium, magnesium, and thiamin in normal quantities and vitamin B6, zinc, phosphorus, and niacin in small quantities.
- 3 tablespoons of coriander seeds
- 1 glass of water
- Firstly, you add coriander seeds along with clean water into a bowl.
- Then, you boil this water with medium heat until the water reduces half an original quantity.
- Next, you put off the flame and strain this water and place it aside.
- Now, you let it cool down for 5 to 7 minutes before having it.
- Finally, you drink this water slowly.
- You should repeat the same way for twice per day on the daily basis.
7. Cranberry Juice
Cranberry is a good natural diuretic that is fully loaded with many minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and potassium. This will aid in balancing the flow of fluid level properly in your body and preventing the fluid retention. In addition, this can also accelerate the healing process to remove this problem.
Here is another effective way that you should try if you want to learn how to get rid of water retention.
- 1 cup of cranberry juice
- At first, you take one cup of cranberry juice.
- Then, you drink this cranberry juice without including any sweetener to this juice.
- Or, you may also take some cranberry pills in order to remove the retention.
- You should do this way daily until you get relief from this problem completely.
8. Apple Cider Vinegar With Water
Apple cider vinegar can help in replenishing the potassium in the body and reducing the sodium levels. This will balance the pH level of your body and prevent the fluid or water retention. Regular usage of apple cider vinegar makes the water retention at bay by following these ways.
Way 1: Apple cider vinegar with water
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 glass
- Firstly, you add apple cider vinegar to water.
- Then, you stir them well and drink this solution.
- You may continue drinking this water for about twice per day on the regular basis or you can also increase its dosage (2 tablespoons) per glass and have it slowly.
Way 2: Water retention in your legs
- Apple cider vinegar – 3 to 4 teaspoons
- Water – enough to soak your legs
- A small tub
- At first, you pour apple cider vinegar along with water into the tub.
- Next, you stir them well and then soak your feet or legs into this mixture.
- Then, you let it stay on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Finally, you pat dry your legs completely.
- This way not only cures the water retention problem but also relieves the foot odor if you follow this way regularly.
9. Onions, Water, And Salt
Onion is also one of other great ways on how to get rid of water retention. It contains a blood cleansing property that will help to detoxify your body and prevent the kidney stones formation. Although onions have many medicinal benefits, it can cause bad breath if you take them too much.
- Raw onions – a few
- Water – 4 cups
- Salt – a pinch
- A strainer
- At first, you cut these onions into pieces.
- Then, you pour these pieces into the water that is placed on a stove and boiled for a few minutes ago.
- Next, you add the salt into this onion water after turning off the heat.
- Now, you let it cool down for a few minute.
- Finally, you use the strainer to strain this mixture and have this juice.
- You should regularize having this onion water for about 2 or 3 times per day.
10. Nettle And Water
Being a natural diuretic, nettle can help to prevent this problem by reducing it slowly. For maximum benefit, you must use this daily to get faster recovery from this water or fluid retention. This is the recipe of preparing this nettle tea that is considered as an effective way on how to get rid of water retention.
- 1 teaspoon of nettle root powder
- 1 cup of clean water
- A teapot
- At first, you pour water into the teapot.
- Then, you boil this water for a few minutes.
- Next, you add the nettle root powder into this boiling water.
- Now, you let it soak for 10 to 15 min.
- Finally, you drink this tea slowly while it is still hot.
- You may have it daily for three times per day.
Learn more: The book of 3-week diet
11. Herbal Tea
Generally, there are many herbs containing an excellent diuretic property which can be considered as a good way on how to get rid of water retention. However, many people do not know the way to use all of the herbs at once to remove fluid retention within their body. Therefore, here are the directions of making herbal tea using a small amount of herbs that contain diuretic and detoxifying properties to deal with your problem.
- Parsley – 1 bunch
- Chopped blackberry leaf – 1
- Celery tops – ½ teaspoon
- Cherry stems – 10
- Chopped Dandelion leaf – 1
- Corn silk – ½ teaspoon
- Cough grass – ½ teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Boiling water – 1 liter
Note: Remember that these above herbs are fresh. However, if you have the dried herbs, with 3 teaspoons of parsley, you must use 1 teaspoon each of other herbs.
- At first, you take all these above herbs and put them into a large pot.
- Then, you pour the boiling water over these herbs.
- Next, you cover this pot with a lid and let it steep for 10 to 15 min.
- After that, you use a strainer to strain this mixture and have it throughout the day.
- You had better repeat this way whenever you suffer from water retention.
12. Fennel Seeds And Boiling Water
According to some studies, fennel seeds act as a diuretic and aids in increasing water and sodium output from your kidneys. In addition, it can also prevent the buildup of toxins within your body, aid digestion, and relieve gas. Hence, you should not skip this way if you really want to know how to get rid of water retention containing these seeds.
- ½ to 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1 cup of boiling water
- An empty cup
- At first, you place these fennel seeds into the empty cup.
- Then, you pour hot water over these seeds and cover this cup.
- Next, you steep these seeds for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Finally, you strain this tea and have it.
- Or, you can also drink this tea with these seeds in it by chewing these seeds.
- You may have this fennel tea for 2 to 3 times per day on the daily basis.
13. Lemon juice, Honey, And Warm Water
Lemon juice can assist you in cleansing the excess fluid along with other toxins from your body thanks to its natural diuretic property. Moreover, if taken regularly, it can also help your kidneys to function properly. This finally removes the water retention problem as well as prevents its recurrence.
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Firstly, you add lemon juice to warm water.
- Then, you stir them well and add honey into it.
- Next, you mix them thoroughly.
- Finally, you drink this mixture immediately.
- You should have this water daily for once per day for at least one or two weeks.
- Or, you may simply mix fresh parsley juice with lemon juice and have this mixture.
Learn more: Beauty recipes of lemon for your hair and skin
To discover more ways on how to get rid of water retention, you should not pass this aromatherapy. It can stimulate the lymphatic system, which will encourage the fluid drainage and then help to reduce the water retention. In addition, regular usage of this way not only aids in preventing the water retention problem but also treats many stress and health diseases.
- 20 drops of geranium
- 20 drops of cypress
- 20 drops of juniper essential oil
- Warm water
- A bathtub
- Firstly, you fill the bathtub with lukewarm water and add these above oils into it.
- Then, you stir them thoroughly and soak yourself into this water for 10 or 15 minutes.
- Finally, you get out of this tub and pat dry the skin with a soft towel.
- You may continue doing this way for 2 or 3 times per week.
15. Ice Packs
This way will help to leave the normal size of your body. However, remember that some people who suffer from poor blood circulation in their feet or diabetes should not try this way unless they consult their doctor or physician. This is one of the simple ways on how to get rid of water retention that you should try!
- Some ice cubes
- A plastic bag with a zipper seal
- A towel
- Firstly, you pour these ice cubes in the plastic bag.
- Then, you seal the zip and wrap them completely with a light towel around this bag.
- Next, you place them on your affected areas and leave it on for 5 to 10 min.
- Or, you may also dip your ankle and legs deep into your tub filled with ice water. This process is very useful if you do it in the summers.
- You should regularize this way to get the best results.
16. Comfrey, Coltsfoot, And Water
This way is very helpful for the pregnant women having swollen feet because they cannot use any other ways for curing this problem during pregnancy due to many adverse effects in these ways. Therefore, to clear this issue, you can use this herbal way that is made from coltsfoot and comfrey herbs to remove the fluid or water retention.
- Coltsfoot – 2 ½ teaspoons
- Comfrey – 2 ½ teaspoons
- Water – 5 cups
- A thick and soft towel
- Firstly, you pour water into a pan.
- Then, you place this pan on the heat and boil this water.
- Next, you add coltsfoot and comfrey herbs into this boiling water.
- Now, you continue boiling these herbs for another 5 min and then turn off the heat.
- After that, you let to cool down for 10 to 15 min by keeping this aside.
- Next, you strain this water by using a sieve.
- Then, you take the thick soft towel and dip it into this water.
- Finally, you take out this towel and place it on the affected body parts.
- You had better do the same way daily for 2 to 3 times per day.
17. Epsom Salt And Water
This salt is also another way on how to get rid of water retention along with bloated tummy thanks to its reverse osmosis. Furthermore, this salt can also draw out the excess fluid as well as harmful toxins from your body. Taking a bath with this Epsom salt will soothe the sore muscles, calm the nerves, relax your body, and clear the water retention problem.
- 2 cups of Epsom salt
- Warm water
- At first, you fill the bathtub with warm water.
- Then, you add Epsom salt into this tub and stir them well.
- Next, you soak yourself into this water for 15 to 20 min.
- Finally, you pat dry the skin with a soft cloth or towel.
- You may repeat the same way for thrice per week.
If you want to know more about natural ways for many other diseases and conditions related to your skin and health, go to our main How to page. After reading the article of top 23 ways on how to get rid of water retention, hope that you can find out the best solutions to remove this problem naturally and fast at home. Nevertheless, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any natural way. If you have any question, or you know other ways on how to get rid of water retention, please leave them below.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- 10 natural home remedies for IBS symptoms that work
- Top 12 Health benefits of barley water
- Top 9 natural home remedies for oily skin on face and body
- How to treat parasites in humans naturally – 7 tips
- Rocket Hindi premium review – is it realiable?
- 6 Home remedies for keloids scars on face!
- 29 Ways on how to get rid of dry hair naturally & fast
- 14 Ways And Tips On How To Be Mentally Strong In Life