A nursing mom’s biggest concern is whether or not she is making enough milk for their baby. In most cases, the fear is based on the false alarms, like shorter nursing times or natural appetite growth. Actually, these are natural scenarios that many moms experience when breastfeeding. Nevertheless, if your baby is not gaining weight, or even worse, if he is losing weight, then increasing your breast milk production might help. If you are wondering how to increase breast milk production while pumping naturally and fast, here you will find the most effective ways. In this post, you will discover top 11 out of best tips for fast and naturally increased milk supply in moms. Check out below from VKool.com!
How To Increase Milk Breast Production While Pumping Naturally – 11 Fast Tips
There is nothing that could help enhance your supply of milk like your baby’s suckling. Breast milk creation, in reality, is all about supply and demand. It is a tightly regulated system. Thus, you had better not worry if now you do not produce enough milk for your baby, the sucking reflex can help stimulate more milk in the long run. Hence, anytime you are possible, bring your baby to your breasts and let him nurse.
The worst thing for your supply is to supplement with formula during a growth spurt. It could be difficult to devote most of your time to nursing, yet it is the best thing you could do for your baby, and your supply.
In case you have to go work right away, building a pumping routine early will make for a smoother transition while also helps you build a larger stash. For those stay-at-home moms, the pumping after nursing will assist them in boosting their production and giving some milk to have on hand if they want to take a nap or go out for something.
Technically, water is a food, but it is also the most essential factor to make sure that you have enough milk production. It is estimated that about 75% of Americans are dehydrated chronically. It is not necessary for you to drink up to 3 gallons per day, yet what you should do is to be adequately hydrated – about 8 glass of fluid every day is a definite must.
As mentioned before in this list of tips on how to increase breast milk production, nursing is important. However, remember when you do nurse, you should go skin-to-skin. Simply take off your upper clothes (both your shirt and your bra), keep your baby in the diaper. Then, wrap the blanket around both of you and start nursing. This will help release more of the necessary hormones that produce milk and the milk ejector hormones. Keep doing this routine during your nap time and throughout the night.
Fact is, lack of sleep is not good for the production of milk. If you could, take a “nursing vacation” by simply cutting back the outside commitments, and spend several days doing as little as possible other than just relaxing yourself and your baby as well through eating, resting, and nursing.
Certain foods are popularly believed to be able to help increase the supply of breast milk and some are even backed by research. For nutrition, moms should add the following foods into their diet plan to get increase breast milk supply:
- Fenugreek seeds: this food has been used for ages to enhance the breast milk supply. Now, this ancient belief is also backed by prestigious research. It is shown that fenugreek, aka methi, can increase milk production. If you contain methi in your diet, you will notice the improvement of your breast milk in just 1 week. In addition, fenugreek seeds are also a good source of vitamins and minerals, such as iron and calcium.
Yet, you should be careful not to consume too much of this food as it is a mild diuretic so you might end up with losing lots of water. You can add methi to many dishes, particularly veggies and meat dishes.
- Fennel seeds: some studies proved that fennel seeds can help in preventing colic in the babies. Thanks to their vitamin C content, they are a good mouth freshener and can aid digestion. Fennel seeds could be added to rice preparations, veggies, and desserts. In some traditional homes, the fennel tea or fennel water are usually given to new moms.
- Garlic: another great food for increased milk production is garlic. Among its curative qualities, garlic is believed to be effective in increasing the supply of breast milk. It is shown that those new moms who eat garlic might be able to feed for a longer period of time and their babies seem to favorite the flavor in breast milk than those who do not. Despite garlic could be eaten in the original form, you might find it more appetizing if used as a condiments in meats, pastas, veggies and pickles. Besides, garlic milk is a common traditional post-delivery beverage giving to those nursing moms.
Read more: tips for pregnancy
- Black sesame seeds: being a great source of calcium, copper and more, black sesame seeds are thought to be able to help enhance the breast milk production in nursing mums.
- Green as well as gourd veggies: vegetables from gourd family such as apple gourd, bottle gourd, and sponge gourd are the traditional goods that might help enhance the supply of breast milk. These veggies are not only nutritious, but also easy-to-digest.
- Red veggies: sweet potatoes, carrots, beetroot are the examples of those red veggies which care high in beta-carotene – the nutrient essential for your baby if you are breastfeeding. Sweet potatoes and beets are rich in iron and help in maintaining the liver. In addition, carrot seeds are also able to help promote breast milk supply. You could add them in soups, salads, porridge, desserts and meat dishes.
- Oats: having high content of calcium, iron, and fibre, oats are beneficial for nursing moms.
- Butter and oils: Some certain fats from butter and oils are healthy for both normal people and nursing moms. Especially, the oils such as flaxseed oil, sesame oil, and olive oil are healthier oils which are believed to support breastfeeding. Coconut oil and butter when consumed in moderation could promote energy.
You might have heard that beer can stimulate the supply of breast milk, yet in fact, drinking alcohol might lower the production of milk. For instance, according to a study, after drinking 1-2 glasses of wine, women tend to take longer to release the first drop of milk and also produce less milk in general. This is among one of the most important tips on how to increase breast milk production moms should know.
Recommend reading: how to give up alcohol
Bottle feeding is good for later on, yet in the initial few weeks of building the milk supply, your baby should do all his sucking, or at least as much as possible, at your breast. Your baby empties your breast better than the pump does, you can make more milk in response to the signals of your baby in comparison to an auto machine.
Massaging your breast could help in boosting the quantity of milk your produce. When your baby nurses comfortably, massaging your breast right near the chest and then step-by-step further towards your nipples, and wait for your baby to take several swallows. After that, massage another breast area, and wait for more swallows.
Some certain types of medications and drugs impact breastfeeding. Popularly used medicines that might cut your supply of milk contain decongestants, antihistamines, diuretics, some weight loss medications, and some hormonal contraceptives including estrogen. For proper alternatives, you had better consult your doctor.
In case after applying the above tips on how to increase breast milk production, you still have a difficult time getting enough breast milk supply, get the help from a non-judgmental, experienced professional. Consider hiring a lactation consultant to offer you the right advice in regard to breastfeeding.
You had better get help sooner rather than later. Do not struggle in silence or give up on yourself. Breastfeeding difficulties could rapidly spiral out of control and lead to a lash to the supermarket for some formula, when in a lot of cases, it is not necessary at all.
There, you have known some of the most effective tips on how to increase breast milk production fast & naturally. These recommendations are easy-to-apply for most new mums without the need of medical knowledge background. Apply them and you will see great improvement in your breast milk supply in no time.
If you have any comment about this How To post, feel free to drop your words below this post. We will feedback as soon as possible.
Related articles about caring tips for moms and babies: