There is good news for anyone who has the high risk of high blood pressure (or called hypertension), which is one of the most serious health problem. You can prevent this disease very effectively if you follow tips in this article. I’m Hang Pham, an author from the site Vkool.com, and I made this article to show you the top 11 tips on how to prevent high blood pressure naturally without medication.
How To Prevent High Blood Pressure Naturally – Discover The Top 11 Tips To Prevent High Blood Pressure Without Medication
1. Maintaining A Healthy Weight
The more weight you have, the higher rate of blood pressure you will suffer from. By losing pounds of weight, you can decrease your blood pressure very efficiently. If you are using medications to treat blood pressure, your weight should be reduced because you will take medications more effective. You can share information with your doctor and determine how many kilos you should keep for the best.
Along with keeping your lean fit, you should consider your waistline because you will get high blood pressure more if you own a lot of fat in waistline. In the fact:
- If waist is over 40 inches (102 cm), men will have higher risk of blood pressure.
- If waist is over 35 inches (89cm), women will have higher risk of blood pressure.
- For Asian men, they will get high risk of blood pressure if their waist is over 36 inches (91 cm)
- For Asian women, they will get high risk of blood pressure if their waist is more than 32 inches (81 cm)
Learn more: Eat Weight Off book
2. Drinking Alcohol In Moderation
Actually, alcohol is bad and good for your health. In the good phase, you can take advantage of small alcohol amount to reduce blood pressure from 2 to 4 mm Hg. However, alcohol can bring the opposite effect if you drink it too much. For men and women at the age over 65, it is one drink per day. For men at the age of younger 65, it is more than two drinks per day. Or if you do not drink alcohol every day, do not drink to reduce your blood pressure. Alcohol is more harmful than you think.
If you drink alcohol too much, more than the general amount you are allowed, your blood pressure will be increased. Also, it can decrease your blood pressure medications in some ways.
- Beside daily diets, you can create a diary of alcohol drinking to keep track of your drinking. Do you know that one drink can be equal to 1.5 ounces of 80-proof liquor (45 ml) or 5 ounces of wine (148 ml), and 12 ounces (355 milliliters, or ml) of beer? You can reduce the amount if you over drink.
- It is not easy if you give up alcohol in a few days if you are really a heavy drinker. Therefore, you may need some suggestions from doctor, let tape it off slowly, from days to weeks.
- If you binge drinking, you will increase blood pressure suddenly. It also can lead to serious health problems.
Recommended reading: How To Naturally Reduce And Help High Blood Pressure book
Keep reading this article to get more details about how to prevent high blood pressure naturally without medication
3. Eat Less Salt And Sodium
Another way on how to prevent high blood pressure is to eat low-sodium diet. “The higher the sodium intake, the higher the blood pressure,” Avoiding processed foods and high-sodium packaged foods can reduce salt amount you intake every day. Ogedegbe suggests, “I tell people to stay away from salt shakers,”
If you are suffering from blood pressure, let cut out salt amount, it will help prevent high blood pressure very effectively, small amount each day can limit increased blood pressure. Ogedegbe advises that sodium and salt can rise up blood pressure, therefore, you should read food labels whenever buy them.
If you use processed or canned foods, you should choose the brands that have low sodium. You can avoid salt intake by finding some favorite foods that have low salt amount. Do not place salt on the table, limit salt as much as possible. In reality, fast foods include a lot of sodium, therefore, you should find out the foods that have low amount of sodium and salt. By decreasing salt in daily meal, you will prevent blood pressure completely. As suggested above, you should reduce salt and sodium in your daily diet to decrease blood pressure from 2 to 8 mm Hg. Here are some recommendations that you can refer to:
- Reduce sodium intake to 2,300 milligrams (mg) per day or less
- Use 1,500 mg sodium per day, it is suitable for anyone who is at age of 51 years or over or you have high blood pressure, kidney disease, or diabetes, or for people who are African-American at any age.
In order to reduce sodium in your meals, you can think of following tips:
- You can keep track of salt amount in daily diet by a food diary, which can note down how much sodium is, how much salt is, and how much you drink per day.
- There is a small thing but necessary to contribute treating blood pressure is reading food labels. By the way, you can choose the appropriate foods such as low sodium or salt foods to use.
- If possible, you should use less processed foods including high sodium such as processed meat, bacon, potato chips, and frozen dinners.
- In each teaspoon of salt, you will get 2,300 mg of sodium, so you should not add salt. You can replace salt by using spices or herbs, which can make have tasteful foods.
- Your palate will adjust over time. If you do not like sodium, immediately reduce it or cut down gradually to match with palate change.
4. Changing Your Eating Habits And Eating Foods That Help Prevent High Blood Pressure
To control blood pressure by 14 mm Hg, you can eat foods that are healthy such as low-fat dairy products, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. It is considered as the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. Probably you can meet difficulty changing your eating habits; however, you can perform it easier by following these tips:
- Create food diary to take note what you eat every day, or per week to keep track of how much, when, and why you eat those foods.
- Taking care of potassium, which can decrease sodium effects on blood pressure. Rich-potassium foods will prevent blood pressure development. You entirely can get enough potassium in your daily meals, so you do not need to supply anything (it could be harmful to your health. Some foods that are rich in potassium are fish, dairy foods, fruits, and vegetables.
- Be an excellent buyer by having a list before you go shopping. You can divide into different kinds of foods and avoid junk foods for your blood pressure. Again, read food labels before buying foods, and preparing the healthy foods for shopping.
- To control blood pressure, it does not mean that you have to give up all favorite foods. You can eat some foods like mashed potatoes or candy bar that are not in list of DASH menu.
- If you intake low calcium, you will have high risk of high blood pressure. Therefore, you use foods that are rich in calcium. However, it does not mean that you can eat calcium tablets to decrease high blood pressure. To be sure, let follow the calcium recommended as 1,200 mg for those over 50 (breastfeeding women and pregnant women need more), and 1,000 milligrams per day for adults 19 to 50 years old – from foods you use daily. Some foods that are rich calcium are cheese, yogurt, and low-fat milk. Do you know that nonfat and low fat dairy products have more calcium than high-fat foods?
- Eat garlic: Garlic plays important role in decreasing risks of cancers, improving good cholesterol, and reducing blood pressure. Garlic has potential benefits for your health overall, and for blood pressure treatment, in specific.
- Use fish oils: In some kinds of fishes such as salmon and mackerel, you can consume fatty fish of “omega-3 fatty acids”, which can help you, decrease high blood pressure. It is not recommended using fish oil pills because you can meet the inconvenient effects. If fishes are not fried or added fat, they can be uses usually because they are in low calories and saturated fat.
Learn more: 24 Health & Beauty Benefits Of Fish Oil
- Use foods containing magnesium: If you get little magnesium, you will have high risk of getting blood pressure. However, you should not take additional magnesium to prevent high blood pressure; you should intake magnesium from foods only. You can find out some foods that include magnesium such as beans, dry peas, whole grains, nuts, seeds, green leafy vegetables.
5. Getting Regular Exercise
In order to get high blood pressure prevention, you should spend for 30-60 minutes per day to perform physical activities. By this way, you can decrease 4 to 9 mm Hg. You will see the best results immediately. Within a few weeks, you will lower your blood pressure by improving your exercise.
There are some exercises that can help you prevent hypertension. They are diastolic pressure between 80 and 89 or systolic pressure between 120 and 139. If you currently have hypertension, daily physical exercises can help you bring your blood pressure to safe levels.
If you want to develop your exercises, you can ask your doctor about an appropriate schedule. Your doctor will help you if it is necessary to increase exercise levels. Even a short time for doing activity, for 10 minutes per day, it can help you much in decreasing blood pressure.
But remember that you should not be “weekend warrior”. It is not a good way if you try to squeeze all exercise on weekends. That is not good for your health. You will discover other tips on how to prevent high blood pressure in the next part of this article.
Learn more: 54 Simple Yoga Exercises
6. Get Support From Family And Friends
If you have problems, you should receive support from your family and friends, who can give you advice on how to prevent high blood pressure such as doing exercise, going to see the doctor to lower your blood pressure. You can share with them if you are at high risk of blood pressure.
Or you can enjoy some group of supporting beside family and friends. This connection will help you keep in touch with people who can give your useful tips on how to prevent high blood pressure as they have ever done.
7. Keep An Eye On Your Blood Pressure And Then Make A Regular Doctor's Appointment
If you know that you are at high risk of high blood pressure, you need to manage your blood pressure at home first. Let learn the way to monitor your blood pressure at home when necessary. Before starting this activity, you should ask your doctor how to do it.
If you have serious high blood pressure, you should visit doctor often as your routine. The visits can help you keep track your blood pressure progression.
- You need a primary care doctor, who can help you control blood pressure more effectively. If possible, you can visit the professional or health care facility whenever you have health problems.
- The best way is to go to see the doctor regularly. If you cannot manage your blood pressure or you have any health problems, you can visit to your doctor more usually to adjust treatment way. If your blood pressure can be controlled, let visit doctor from six to 12 months, it depends on your condition, as well.
8. Reduce Your Stress
Stress is one of the most reasons that cause blood pressure increased. In a day, you can think of what makes you feel stressful such as illness, finances, work, family, and so on. Whenever you catch the reasons of stress, you will find out the most effective way to reduce stress and prevent high blood pressure.
If you can wipe out the factors that lead to stress, you can find the way to live healthier, or at least and reduce them. If you are busy, let take time to breathe deeply, do yoga, meditate, massage, and so on. If you cannot do it by yourself, let share with counseling or professional for those useful activities. If you want to know more about how to prevent high blood pressure, continue reading the article.
9. Cut Back On Caffeine
Drinking caffeine is one of the most factors that can make you increase blood pressure. However, it is not clear if caffeine can affect it in short time or a long time, you should limit drinking caffeine if possible.
If you do not make sure that caffeine can be harmful for your blood pressure or not, you can check your blood pressure after 30 minutes you drink a cup of coffee. If you see your blood pressure increasing five to 10 points, it means that caffeine raise blood pressure.
10. Avoid Tobacco Products And Secondhand Smoke
Nicotine is the top of the most dangerous smoking products, which can rise up your blood pressure by 10 mm Hg or more after your smoke. Smoking all day will contribute keeping your high blood pressure constant. Therefore, you should ignore it suddenly.
Anyway, giving up smoke is not easy, but you can avoid secondhand smoke if you cannot give it up immediately. If you are not a smoker, but, inhale smoke from people around, can cause heart disease, high blood pressure, and other health problems.
11. Monitor Your Blood Pressure
To control your blood pressure, make sure that you measure it daily. You can do this activity at home or at the doctor’s office. High blood pressure does not have featured symptoms; therefore, managing your blood pressure every day can determine the level of your problem. If your blood pressure is at rate of 120-139/80-89 millimeters of mercury (mmHg), it means that your hypertension is developing; your doctor may ask you do some extra works for safe.
To see all of our home remedies and the conditions they treat, go to our main Home Health page.
After reading my overview of tips and advice on how to prevent high blood pressure naturally without medication, I hope that it helps you understand more about hypertension and get the proper ways to prevent it. This post is part of a series about tips and advice on how to prevent or treat common diseases and conditions. Got a question? Need answers? Leave a comment below. Now are you ready to learn how to prevent high blood pressure?
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- 18 homemade stain removal tips for clothes are exposed
- List Of 7 Possible Causes Of Swollen Ankles You Should Know
- The 24 hour sinus infection breakthrough review – is it reliable?
- 44 Best Foods To Increase Blood Platelets Count
- Foods for upset stomach, vomiting and constipation
- 17 home remedies for menstrual cramps, pain and heavy bleeding
- How to increase good cholesterol – HDL naturally in the body
- Natural eye care – effective remedies for beautiful eyes