Earache could be uncomfortable. Most cases of earache are caused and triggered by the fluid buildup in your middle ear and the ear infection. Other causes include an increase in air pressure, physical damage to the inside of the ear, blockage in your nasal passage, the wax in the ear, common cold, and so on. An earache occurs more commonly amongst small children than adults.
A mild earache could be addressed at home with ease just by making use of simple home remedies. It is likely that you will have one or more of them readily available right in the kitchen of your own home.
I. How To Stop Earache Naturally At Home – The Basic Knowledge Of The Condition:
Earaches mostly occur in children rather than adults, as I mentioned in the introduction section due to their body structure and their weak immune system. Earache could be mainly caused by a blockage in the nasal passage, wax inside the ear, ear infection, and any other physical damage occurring inside of the ear, such as wisdom teeth, enlargement of adenoid, cold, and trapping of polluted water inside the ears. They are just a few reasons that can lead to an earache and it can even cause the loss of hearing.
Tugging and rubbing at the ear, itching sensation, swelling, vomiting, nausea, fever, etc. are some of the signs caused by the earache issue. Utmost care should be taken to the children or other ones to prevent their risks of getting earache.
The pain of an earache could be aching and dull, or piercing and sharp. You might know the trigger factor right away, or you might struggle to determine what is going wrong when your kid is crying in pain while rubbing their ear lobe. Earache could be debilitating, but it does not always warrant a round of antibiotics. As a matter of fact, people can find out all the relief they need right in their kitchen or in their own medicine cabinet.
II. How To Stop Earache Naturally At Home – Causes Of Earache:
There are several possible trigger factors that can lead to a terrible earache. Cavities, teeth grinding, tonsillitis, earwax, sinus infections are all relatively common trigger factors of this health issue. However, the most common ear infection can be a middle ear infection or acute otitis media (AOM). It is characterized by infected portions of the middle ear and swollen ear. The pain going along with acute otitis media is triggered by the fluids that become trapped behind your eardrum. Babies and children might be restless and always want to pull at their ears. Some common causes of the condition:
- Abnormal structure of the head or ears
- Second-hand smoke or passive smoking
- Feed a baby with a bottle in a lying-down position
- Inflammation in the Eustachian tubes
- Infection in the upper respiratory tract
- Common cold
- Bacterial infection
When To Use Home Remedies
The best natural remedy for earaches may depend on the exact causes. For instance, if a cavity is to blame, your earache might not be improved until you see a dentist. Nevertheless, if the major cause is an ear infection (which can usually go away without using antibiotics), some home remedies can help to make the illness bearable when your body can fight off the infection. Several ear infections would be cleared up by themselves within about 7 – 14 days, with signs starting to get better after just 3 – 5 days. You will need to ensure that you will definitely check with the pediatrician of your child if your child feels an ear pain, especially if he/she is under two (and surely if the earache goes along with a fever). Your child’s doctor could give you a proper guidance on whether you should try a natural remedy first, or consider antibiotics.
This is actually a very serious health issue, so today, in this article, I would like to reveal some of the best natural tips on how to stop earache naturally at home people should try to get rid of the problem fast. Here are the home remedies you should learn about:
1. Hair Drier:
This is the first out of the most efficient tips on how to stop earache naturally at home that I want to reveal in this entire writing and want you and my other readers to learn and make use as soon as possible to live without the earache issue.
Applying moist heat with the hair dryer could be an ideal way that can help a lot in reducing earaches.
After taking a bath or shower, do not use a towel to dry your ears. Instead, you can opt for a blow dryer. Keep your dryer setting on warm and slightly hold it away from your ear. Allow the warm air to dry the moisture inside your ears. Avoid using the blow dryer for more than 5 minutes.
Hair drier is not only for drying your hair but also very useful for reducing earache, so try it out!
2. Bishop’s Weed:
Another one out of the tips on how to stop earache at home naturally people should make use is to use bishop’s weed.
Bishop’s weed, also called ajwain, is another useful natural cure for earache because it has powerful antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. Here is how you can make use of bishop’s weed to deal with earaches at home:
- Heat ½ tsp. of Bishop’s weed with 2 garlic flakes and 2 tsps. of mustard oil. Heat the combination until the garlic becomes red. Filter the mixture and add 4 – 5 drops into your ear as ear drops.
- Mix 3 tsps. of sesame oil with 1 tsp. of Bishop’s weed oil and slightly warm the mixture. Add 4 – 5 drops of the oil combination into the ear.
- Take two or three drops of bishop’s oil and directly pour it into the infected ear. After about 5 minutes, you would feel free from the earache. Apply this tip anytime you have an earache.
- Mix 3 tsps. of sesame oil with 1 tsp. of bishop’s weed oil. Slightly warm the mixture and remove the heat to cool it for a while. Add four or five drops of this oil combination into your infected ear. Apply this tip on a regular basis as it can help to get relief from an earache inside your ear effectively.
- Boil half a tsp. of bishop’s weed seeds in one cup of milk. Boil it until the essence of seeds permeates the milk. Strain the milk and use it as ear drops to relieve ear congestion as well as to reduce the pain caused by an earache.
Indian lilac, also called neem, has potent antifungal and antibacterial properties that can aid a lot in fighting infection. In addition, it contains powerful analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects that can also help to relieve symptoms and signs caused by an earache. There are 2 simple ways people can make use at home with the support of neem to deal with earache:
- Firstly, try soaking a cotton ball in neem oil and squeeze to get rid of excessive oil. Place the cotton ball into your infected ear directly. Allow it to stay within about 3 – 5 minutes and then discard it.
- Crush 3 – 5 neem leaves to extract the neem juice. Add 3 – 5 few drops of neem juice into your aching ear as ear drops.
Repeat either of these remedies 1 – 2 times per day until you get desired improvement.
In fact, this is also one of the best tips on how to stop earache naturally at home that people should make use for good!
Another effective home remedy, a useful tip on how to stop earache naturally at home is the use of basil.
Thanks to the powerful analgesic, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties, basil is considered beneficial and helpful for relieving earaches. Follow these 3 simple steps to make use of basil and get rid of earache right at the comfort of your own home:
- Crush 3 – 5 basil leaves and extract their juice.
- Add 3 or 4 drops of basil juice into the aching ear.
- Repeat 1 – 2 times on a daily basis.
Peppermint contains mild anesthetic properties, and powerful anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to heal the pain due to the infection. It can also act well as a soothing agent. There are three ways for you to make use of peppermint for the purpose of dealing with earache at home:
Method 1: (Peppermint oil with olive oil)
- Take 3 – 5 drops of peppermint oil (if you desire, it is okay to add 3 – 5 drops of olive oil into peppermint oil and stir the mixture well)
- Apply the combination externally around the ear like massaging it but do not overdo this.
- Ensure that you would avoid applying or getting this oil inside your ear as it can irritate your ears.
Method 2: (Peppermint Leaves)
- Take 3 – 5 peppermint leaves and crush/grind them to extract the juice
- Place the peppermint leaf juice in a dropper and pour 3 – 5 drops inside your infected ear.
- Repeat this method on a regular basis to stop your earaches.
Method 3: (Peppermint oil)
- Mix 5 drops of olive oil with 1 drop of peppermint oil
- Put this oil into the ear by using a dropper or ear syringe so that you would be able to get rid of the pain fast and naturally right at the comfort of your own home.
- This method will also help to stop the ear infection as it can help to remove the bacteria that cause this infection.
- Be aware as some people are sensitive to the peppermint oil so that you should mix more olive oil with a drop of peppermint oil.
This is actually one of the most effective tips on how to stop earache naturally at home that people should learn and make use to feel free from earaches while do not need to use any type of drug, pill, or medication.
Ginger contains powerful anti-inflammatory properties that could be very useful in treating ear infections. Ginger is also a great natural painkiller. There are also 3 simple methods that can help you deal with and beat off the pain caused by an earache with the support of ginger and some other simple to find ingredients:
- Mix 1/4 cup of warm sesame oil with 1 tbsp. of fresh ginger pieces
- Allow it to stay within just a few minutes to allow it to cool
- After that, take the oil combination and apply it outside (externally) around your paining ear.
- Apply this tip as needed.
- Crush some fresh ginger pieces to extract the juice from them.
- Pour the ginger juice directly into your ear to get relief from the earache issue.
- To get instant relief, you will need to apply this tip for 2 times per day.
- You can also try mixing 2 tbsps. of olive oil with 1 tsp. of fresh grated ginger root
- Allow it to stay within five to ten minutes and then put 3 – 5 drops of the oil combination into your aching ear.
This is also one of the best tips on how to stop earache at home naturally without using any type of drugs, pills, or medications that I would like to reveal in this article and want you and my other readers on VKool.com to learn and remember to apply as soon as possible for good.
7. Hot Water Bottle:
Another tip on how to stop earache naturally at home that I really want to show you and my other dear readers reading this article is to make use of hot water bottle to deal with and eliminate the signs and symptoms causing the earache issue.
Placing moist heat around an infected ear could work very well like an excellent pain killer. To make use of this method, you just need to wrap a hot water bottle in a towel and press the wrapped bottle against your aching ear for about 5 minutes.
Onion is one of the most readily available home treatments for an earache. The antibacterial and antiseptic properties in onions can work effectively in dealing with this problem.
Onion comes with some of the folks on Earth Clinic and it is a preferred natural remedy in the book “Be Your Own Doctor” as well. Some people just need to cut an onion in half and place it over their infected ear. Others heat a small portion of the onions gently until warm but not soft, and tuck the onions into their infected ear. There are two simple ways you can make use with the support of onion to deal with signs and symptoms of earaches right at the comfort of your own home:
- First, you can try crushing a fresh onion and wrap it tightly in one piece of clean cloth. Then, you will need to hold the cloth over your affected ear within about five to ten minutes. Apply this tip several times on a daily basis to achieve the best result.
- Alternatively, try extracting 1 tbsp. of onion juice from grated onions and heat the juice over low heat. Then apply two or three drops of the juice into your infected ear two or three times per day.
This is also one out of the best tips on how to stop earache naturally at home that are very simple and cheap to apply so that people should not skip but make use of this tip and technique for good to get rid of the symptoms and signs of the disease fast without using any type of drug, pill, or medical intervention.
Another useful tip on how to stop earache that I would like to introduce in this entire article and people should make use as soon as possible if they want to deal with the signs and symptoms of this stubborn issue is garlic.
Garlic contains powerful antibiotic and analgesic properties that can help effectively in reducing earache due to an ear infection. There are 2 simple ways you can try at home with the support of garlic and some simple to find and cheap ingredients:
- First, you should try extracting the juice out of 2 – 3 cloves of garlic and place it into your affected ear.
- Another option is to heat 1 tsp. of minced garlic mix with 2 tbsps. of sesame oil. Allow the oil to cool and filter it. Apply two or three drops of this garlic oil onto the aching ear.
10. Olive Oil:
Olive oil could be able to give you fast relief from an earache. It can serve as a lubricant and help a lot in reducing and eliminating signs and symptoms of an infection in the ear. Olive oil can also be useful in inhibiting buzzing sensations inside your ears. There are also 2 easy ways that everyone can try at home without facing any difficulty just by using olive oil:
- First, you can dip a cotton bud in olive oil and put it firmly into your affected ear.
- Alternatively, apply three or four drops of lukewarm olive oil as ear drops onto your ear canal.
You can also try using mustard oil the same way.
In brief, this is one of the most useful and also the cheapest and easiest tip on how to stop earache at home naturally that I want to introduce in this article and people should not ignore if earache is their current issue.
11. Preventing Ear Pain Before It Starts
If chronic ear infection is a problem, it should be noted that those living with smokers may need to deal with more ear issues, and breast fed infants have less than their formula fed ones. In addition, food allergies could contribute to a chronic ear infection many times. If you are dealing with chronic ear infection or other chronic health issues, you need to adjust your diet. Common allergens are tree nuts, peanuts, soy, eggs, gluten, and dairy. You can work with your doctor to see if you can identify any food that causes problem to you. Keep your ears always clean and dry so that you will be able to prevent ear related issues.
Another useful tip on how to stop earache naturally at home that I would like to reveal in the entire article today and people should make use as soon as possible if they want to deal with the earache issue is the steaming method. This is actually a very popular method that is proven useful for treating a lot of health issues and ailments.
As mentioned, dry winter air does a number on your airways, which are connected to your ears. Relaxing after opening with moist air could help a lot in relieving pressure and even pain effectively. You just need to follow some simple step here to get over earache by making use of the steaming method:
- Prepare hot water and a towel
- Place your face over hot water and use a towel to cover your face so that the steam would not escape from anywhere.
- From your nose and mouth, inhale the steam to clear up the infection
- Repeat this method at night time or whenever you feel the ear is aching to relieve symptoms and signs of earache right away.
13. Herbal Steam Inhalations
This is actually one type of steaming method but I still want to introduce here – with a certain section that is separated to the steam section above as it comes with the use of herbals. Herbal steam inhalations can aid a lot in reducing nasal swelling due to dry winter air, cold, as well as increasing airflow to the eustachian tubes. To prepare herbal steam inhalations, you just need to heat up a pot of water and pour the hot water into a basin or bowl. Add a handful of dry or fresh herbs like lemon balm, elderberry flowers, and German chamomile. Lean over the basin and inhale the steam. For getting the most out of the remedy, you should prepare a large towel for creating a tent over your head and trapping the steam.
14. Essential Oil Ear Ache Rub
This remedy is adapted by Rachel Weaver, M.H. from the book “Be Your Own Doctor”. The original ratios of essential oils (1 tsp. each) seem very high to someone, so if needed, you should reduce them to be more in line with the suggestions given in Herbal Antibiotics. Do not forget to avoid applying undiluted essential oils directly onto your skin and always use carrier oil. Remember to always be “super” careful when making use of any of these oils on small children as they may rub their ears and even their eyes after that.
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
You just need to mix these 3 ingredients well and use the mixture to gently apply around the ears at the very first sign of infection. This remedy will help to relieve inflammation and reduce the infection.
15. Mullein Oil
Mullein oil is an unforgettable name I want to list down on the list of the most useful and effective tips on how to stop earache naturally at home that those suffering from the pain due to earache should not skip at all costs if they desire to deal with and beat off this health issue within the shortest period of time. Common mullein (Verbascum thapsus) has been used for dealing with and beating off respiratory ailments and several other health issues. As an effective remedy for ear ailments, the buds and flowers of mullein would be infused in olive oil, and then applied to the ear in the same manner as the garlic oil. To infuse the flower of mullein in oil, gather sufficient amount of blooms to fill a small jar partially. Cover with olive oil and allow it to stay for 1 – 2 weeks. Strain and place the oil a tinted bottle. You could watch a video showing how to gather mullein flowers on the internet with ease. I like letting my blossom set on a plate or in a shallow bowl for 60 minutes or so before putting them in a jar with oil to give any buggy hiding in them an opportunity to escape. You could also add one clove of chopped garlic to the oil to get germ fighting effect. There are two simple recipes coming with mullein oil and some other easy to find ingredients that can help you deal with earache and infections without needing to make use of any type of drug, pill, or medication:
Method 1: (mullein oil and garlic oil)
- Mix 5 – 7 drops of both garlic oil and mullein oil and mix them well
- Take 1 ear dropper and pour 3 – 5 drops of this oil combination into your affected ear to eliminate the painful feeling
- Alternatively, try using olive oil in the place of mullein oil and garlic oil.
- Apply this tip whenever you feel you are struggling with an earache.
- Add 3 – 5 drops of mullein oil to a bowl
- Dip the cotton ball in the mullein oil and put in your affected ear
- Allow it to stay within a few minutes and then take it off.
- Apply this tip whenever you feel you are struggling with an earache
16. Children’s Ear Oil
Adapted from Herbal Antibiotics
- 20 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) quality olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Place olive oil and garlic oil within a sauce pan over low heat. Cook it overnight or for about 8 hours. Strain, squeeze the oil well to get as much oil out of the garlic as possible. Mix garlic oil with eucalyptus essential oil and stir them well. Store the final combination in a tinted bottle.
How To Make Use:
Place the glass eyedropper in a stream of hot water within about one minute (to warm the dropper). To retain the heat, dry quickly and suction up the ear oil from bottle. Apply two drops of the oil onto both ears every 30 minute or as regularly as necessary for two to seven days. You should not allow the fluid applied into the ear if your eardrum is perforated. For small kid, heat and steam are still the safest options, or plain warm coconut oil or olive oil.
In fact, it is undeniable that children’s ear oil is the best way for parents who want to learn how to stop earache at home naturally to help their children overcome the pain due to this issue. This is surely a very simple method yet can work powerfully for small kids, as well as does not lead to any harmful side effect.
When I was a small kid, I remember having an ear infection going along with a very sore ear. To help me reduce the pain, my mother prepared a small throw pillow and warmed it up in the oven. She left the heated throw pillow within just bit too long, though, and it started to singe. The fire was put out, and I had to allow my head to get rested on a slightly charred pillow – which really helped me in relieving the earache. In nowadays, most households have microwaves at their home, and people could buy or make a hot pack that would be able to get heated up quickly that way. To make a simple hot pack at home to reduce the pain caused by earache and ear infection, place rice or popcorn into a small pouch or an old sock. Seal end and heat it in short bursts until it becomes warm. Hot water bottles are also an excellent choice, as mentioned above, in case that you do not have a microwave available at your own home – just make sure you do not get the water too hot.
18. Diet Plan
Diet is the key to many health issues, as you may already know before. Foods and nutrients we take every day can work well or terribly as we can stay healthy or get sick depending on whether or not our daily diet and meals are healthy enough. In case of earache and how to stop earache naturally at home, diet plan is once again an important factor that people need to pay attention to. Planning your diet when you are struggling with any health issue is very crucial because diet would impact the issue. Thus, take the diet below whenever you feel a pain from ear infection and earache.
- Have the food (vegetables and fruits) which are rich in vitamin C and vitamin A in your diet.
- Avoiding dairy products (not buttermilk and yogurt) will help you deal with the earache effectively at home.
- Increase the intakes of foods which are rich in zinc by adding them to your daily meals.
- Avoid taking the mucous forming foods, such as bananas, citrus fruits, peanut butter, oranges, dairy products, wheat, etc. in your diet to stop the infection which causes earaches.
- Herbal teas usually can soothe the pain of the ear. Therefore, you should take the herbal teas, such as honey tea, ginger, basil tea, and chamomile tea to get rid of the signs and symptoms as well as the pain due to earaches.
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids as they can help to cure a lot of health issues, including earache and ear infection.
- Consume more foods that are abundant in omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids; vegetables, and fresh fruits.
- Avoid consuming foods with white sugar, over processed meals, and junk foods, etc. as this will help a lot in reducing symptoms and signs caused by earaches.
Licorice is great herbal remedy that can help a lot in lowering the inflammation and make patients feel better from the discomfort as it can help to reduce the earache almost immediately. There is a simple way you can try at the comfort of your own home with the support of licorice to cure earache without facing any difficulty or having to prepare expensive ingredients:
- Take some licorice and slightly warm it in clarified butter to create a thick paste.
- Use this paste to apply externally around your effected ear which is aching to get relieved immediately from the pain.
This is the last but certainly not the least tip on how to stop earache at home naturally that I want to ask you and my other readers reading this article to learn carefully and remember to apply as soon as possible for good!
Radish is a root veggie which can help a lot in reducing the pain and discomfort caused by clearing the wax and making you feel much more comfortable. It can also help to reduce the inflammation and other signs that can lead to earache thereby ear infection. Here are some simple steps you should follow at home with the help of radish to deal with and beat off the signs and symptoms of earaches and ear infection within the shortest time period:
- Chop 1 fresh radish finely into small pieces
- After that, add these pieces into mustard oil and warm the combination for a while
- Allow it to cool as the room temperature
- Strain the radish oil into a glass container
- Apply 3 – 5 drops of the radish oil into the aching and infected ear.
- Apply this method on a regular basis so that you will be able to heal the ear infection and earaches within the shortest time period without needing to see the doctor or use any type of drugs, pills, or medications.
III. Short Tips On How To Stop Earache At Home Naturally And How To Reduce The Symptoms:
Following these tips would definitely help earache patients to get relief from this issue and also prevent you from getting it in future. Here are the simple yet very effective tips for you:
- After taking shower, you should use a hair dryer to blow by setting it on warm and hold it little bit away from the ear. The warm air would help in drying the moisture within your ear, as mentioned in the very first section of the article. Remember that not to allow the dryer to blow to your ear for too long (over five minutes).
- While you are suffering with earache, whenever you go outdoors, do not forget to wear a scarf as it can help you cover the ears from wind and other sounds as well. You can also try simply applying cotton wool to both your two ears but not too much.
- When you are on the air (parachute/plane), the pressure changes when landing would build pup in the ear and cause earache. Therefore, chewing a candy or gum while flying so that it will activate the muscles that send air into the inner ear and equalize the pressure to relieve your earache.
- Swallowing the foods hardly would be able to help in activating the muscles that open the Eustachian tube. Frequent swallowing would bring some temporary relief from the pain caused by earache.
- Yawning is a great home remedy that can help to reduce the pain inside your ears because it can help to open up the Eustachian tube.
- Prevent the flu, cold, and other allergies which are the major trigger factors of the earache and the ear infection issues.
- Try using lavender oil to gently rub around your affected ear to get instant soothing effect, thereby helping to heal the earaches within a very short time period.
- Swimming can trigger earaches, so you need to avoid swimming until you get your earache stopped or relieved as needed. Or else, you just need to coat your ears with 3 – 5 drops of mineral oil before head because this can help to prevent the water to reach your ear canal and thereby, preventing the pain.
- Avoid taking antibiotics because it can harm to your body. Do not give aspirin to your kids because it can lead to another health issue.
- Quit drinking alcohol and smoking right away because it can increase your risks of getting earaches.
Now, after giving readers this full writing with 20 tips on how to stop earache at home naturally and effectively that are very simple to apply yet extremely useful, readers should also spend time reading another related article if possible. This article shows the best ways to stop the ear congestion at home without needing to use any type of drugs, pills, or medical interventions. This is actually one of the major reasons for earache. The Top 12 Home Remedies For Ear Congestion article is actually a great collection of natural treatment tips and home remedies that can help people reduce signs and symptoms of ear congestion, as well as preventing the risks of related problems. In fact, this article introduces a lot of useful remedies that are totally based on nature, and just require some simple to find and cheap ingredients so that people should not concern about the difficulties they may face when making use of these home remedies. The natural therapies introduced in this suggested writing are safe for health and proven good for patients in all cases so that people should make use of them right from today! This will also help people prevent the risks of earache effectively as ear congestion is an important factor that usually can trigger earache.
The whole gathering of tips on how to stop earache at home naturally that me – author Lien Nguyen of VKool.com introduced in the article today do not require or encourage any of my dear readers to use any type of drugs, pills, or medical interventions. In the contrary, the natural treatment tips and home remedies I suggested are proven healthy and safe for human beings, especially for those dealing with the earache issue without causing any unwanted harmful side effects. The treatment and remedies suggested in this article will help sufferers of earache worldwide get out of the hateful and stubborn symptoms due to earache; thereby would be able to avoid a risk of getting deaf without needing to spend too much time, effort, and money.
If you think that the tips on how to stop earache at home naturally that I revealed in this writing are really beneficial and useful for you as you are looking for some useful and safe methods to get out of the earache issue and will also beneficial for any other sufferer you know out there with earache as well, feel free to share this i list widely and ask others to make use with you instead of just keeping it for your own issue. As an author of Vkool.com who is responsible for providing readers all over the world with the most useful and interesting guides in various fields in life with the solutions for many concerns and issues, I always want to see the personal thoughts and evaluations of my dear readers, so do not forget to leave all of your thoughts in the comment section below!
Related articles about some nutritional tips for patients suffering from earache, tips to control and deal with the ear related issue with ease naturally at home: