TMJ or the temporomandibular joint may not be mentioned so much, but without it, you are not able to open or close the mouth. The TMJ is a unique joint in your body, allowing for the forward, backward as well as side-to-side movement of the jaw. When you have any problem with the TMJ, you can get a TMJ disorder, which is known for the common pain in the jaw or area near the ears.
How To Stop TMJ Naturally At Home – The Best Tips To Apply:
Some common causes and trigger factors of the TMJ condition:
- External trauma caused of accidents or otherwise
- Mental trauma, anxiety or stress
- Internal trauma caused by excessive chewing, teeth grinding or clenching
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Osteoarthritis: no formation of new bone and depletion of cartilage due to aging
- Birth defect- Muscular alignment problems
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Spinal alignment problems
Some symptoms of TMJ:
- Circular headache: Many people suffering from a headache describe it as a ring of pain occurring around the head. And the pain increases whenever the patient speaks or grinds the teeth.
- Depression and anxiety: Depression often occurs when TMJ sufferers cannot get pain relief due to poor diagnosis of symptoms.
Although your discomfort along with TMJ disorder can disappear on its own, a large number of people have found that some home remedies for TMJ can help you ease the irritation. They are useful in easing TMJ symptoms like headache, muscular pain, anxiety and other diseases.
In the article today, I would like to reveal some of the best tips on how to stop TMJ naturally in details, so you should keep your head on the following interesting How To fact and the effective ways to relieve the pain caused by TMJ disorders.
1. Nutritional Supplements For Tmj
This is the first out of the best tips on how to stop TMJ naturally that I would like to reveal in this entire article and want you and my other readers to learn and know how to stop symptoms of TMJ disorders by taking nutritional supplements.
Nutrition plays an important role in easing TMJ pain. According to a study, people who had a nutritional deficiency of magnesium and calcium were more likely to suffer from TMJ pain. Another study on 50 TMJ sufferers indicates that adding magnesium and calcium supplements provided TMJ pain relief to 70% of the sufferers.
- Magnesium: Magnesium can ease muscular tension and help in calcium metabolism. An average adult needs a daily magnesium consumption of 310mg. A deficiency in magnesium can result in muscle spasms. Some magnesium-rich foods are avocados, almonds, Brazil nuts, cocoa powder, rice, sesame seeds, spinach, wheat, walnuts, etc.
- Calcium: Calcium may provide strength to our bones. An average adult requires a daily consumption of 10g of calcium. Some calcium-rich foods for TMJ are banana, unboiled milk, coconut, oranges, sesame, almond, green peas, spinach, and cabbage. You should remove junk foods from your diet and replace them with grains, fresh fruit, vegetables, and nuts, and you will notice easing in TMJ pain as well as other symptoms.
- Vitamin–B complex: A deficiency of vitamin-B complex is known to cause stress which can lead to TMJ pain. Take capsules of vitamin B-complex for 15 days to deal with any vitamin B deficiency.
- Glucosamine sulfate: It is another essential mineral that may build and repair the body cartilage and ease pain, swelling, and stiffness in joint disorders like TMJ. It can be effective if TMJ is caused by cartilage deterioration. Nonetheless, glucosamine sulfate may cause some unwanted side effects and it is better to use it under your doctor’s guidance. Ginko biloba is one of the best sources of this mineral in natural form. Besides, raw spinach and parsley are other sources of glucosamine.
Nutritional supplements are also among the best things TMJ patients need to do to reduce the condition!
2. Some Foods For TMJ Diet
This is also one of the most important tips and techniques that people suffering from TMJ and who want to learn how to stop TMJ naturally at home should not skip at all costs as it would be a very useful assistant after all! Try it, and you will see!
If you want to stop TMJ, you should follow a rich-anti-inflammatory diet for good. Some foods that you should add to your diet as soon as possible:
- Foods easy to chew: While you are suffering jaw pain, you should add easy-to-chew foods to your diet. They include stews, soups, smoothies and cooked vegetables.
- Wild-caught fish: As omega 3 fatty acids can help you reduce inflammation and pain, wild-caught fish are a good food source for you.
- Small meals: Eating small meals can help you stabilize your blood sugar. This is essential as fluctuations in blood sugar may increase the risk of grinding of teeth.
- Steamed vegetables: These foods are very easy to chew, so they are good for your jaw. Besides, these foods provide essential nutrients for healing.
- Magnesium- rich foods: As you know that magnesium is known as a relaxation mineral, so it can help you release tension occurring in tight muscles.
- Calcium- rich foods: These foods work with magnesium to help in muscle relaxation.
- Protein shakes: In case you have trouble in chewing protein, consider consuming a protein shake while your TMJ disorder is flared.
3. Some Foods To Avoid
When it comes to learning how to stop TMJ at home, there are some foods people should avoid as they can trigger many severe signs, symptoms and related problems, and you may need to spend even more time and effort dealing with those issues:
- Caffeine: It may increase muscle tension due to its hydrating effect on your muscles.
- Sugar: It may increase inflammation and then lower the immune system.
- Gum or caramels: Any candies that are hard to chew can make your TMJ disorder worse.
- Tough foods: You should be careful when eating hard-to-chew foods such as dry cuts of meat.
- Alcohol: This drink may increase grinding of teeth at night.
4. Essential Oils For Tmj
The essential oils that can help you relieve TMJ are frankincense oil, peppermint oil, and lavender oil. Frankincense can reduce inflammation, peppermint can ease pain and lavender can relax the tense muscles. Simply, you just need to have a mixture of 1 drop of each of the oils with ¼ tsp. of coconut oil. Then, you rub this mixture onto your pain area.
Massage your body with juniper, sandalwood, tea tree, bergamot or other essential oils to help you improve your blood circulation and offer an instant relief from pain related with TMJ.
5. Put Your Protector Up
A lot of people grind their teeth while sleeping. This can result in severe TMJ pain. In order to prevent it, consider wearing a low-cost mouth protector that you can buy at a sports store. Then, follow the instructions to make sure that it works.
This is, in fact, one of the best tips on how to stop TMJ naturally that people should know and then follow to ease the pain when chewing, talking, and opening the mouth wide.
6. Keep The Body Hydrated
Dehydration can cause muscle cramps in shoulders, neck, and mandibular joints. Therefore, it is very important to keep the body hydrated. Drinking enough water is one of the main home remedies to stop TMJ-related cramps. You should increase your water consumption to a minimum of 8 cups of water daily or higher. Also, try to evenly distribute the water consumption over the whole day. Drinking water excessively in short period of time can result in hyper-hydration or water poisoning. A good rule for you is to drink 2 cups of water every 2 hours in the daytime.
Read More:11 Healthy Drinks Besides Water And Tea
7. How To Stop TMJ With Relaxation Exercises
These exercises that help your jaw feel relaxed can also help to ease TMJ pain, especially in case it is caused by stress. Experts recommended doing breathing exercises to relieve tension occurring in the jaw muscles. In case you are feeling tense, consider deeply inhaling for a count of 5-10, then exhaling in a slow way. Although it is not a form of exercise, finding how to reduce stress in your life can be effective in easing any TMJ-related pain and discomfort.
Besides, you can practice any of the relaxation exercises that you want. It could be simple like jogging, cycling, walking or playing tennis. Meditation exercises and yoga are also good to cause relaxation. Regular exercising is a good way to stop stress and reduce the symptoms of TMJ.
8. Strengthening Exercises
When you suffer from pain and discomfort caused by a TMJ problem, doing strengthening exercises may be helpful. According to a study, doing a number of strengthening exercises can prevent TMJ pain from returning. These TMJ exercises involve in opening & closing the mouth when putting some resistances of the chin.
How to do:
- In order to do a resisted opening exercise, you place one of the thumbs under the chin and then lightly push downward to it. When you push the thumb, you slowly open the mouth. Remember to keep it open for seconds before gradually closing it.
- In order to do resisted closing exercise, you place the thumb under the chin and keep the index finger on the ridge between the chin and lower lip. Remember to take the finger from the same hand. Then, gently push it when closing the mouth
9. How To Stop Tmj With Stretching Exercises
Lightly stretching the jaw as well as the joint area can help to keep pain caused by TMJ from returning. A method to stretch your jaw involves in pressing the tongue’s tip to the mouth’s roof. Then, you open the mouth slowly as much as possible without making it painful. If you feel painful, stop doing the exercise. You may need a little time before engaging it.
Some stretching exercises focus on moving the jaw as much as possible without leading any discomfort. To perform the exercises successfully, follow these steps:
- You start with your closed mouth and your relaxed jaw. With your teeth apart, you slowly open the mouth as wide as possible while you still look up with the eyes. Try to keep your mouth open for seconds, then gradually close it
- When your mouth is closed, you move the jaw to the left side whilst you still look to the right with the eyes. Do not forget not to turn the head or neck. Keep the position for seconds, moving back to the center. You repeat this exercise, moving your jaw to the right side while you still look to the left.
10. Cold And Warm Compress
Alternating cold and hot packs for about 20 minutes may help you ease the pain in your jaw. This home remedy for TMJ disorder has been used for years in order to treat a plenty of health problems as well as the pain that associates with them. This is because these compresses boost the blood circulation to all the areas and help relax the jaw muscles.
In fact, this is also among best tips on how to stop TMJ at home, so people should make use of this tip for good.
When you get TMJ disorders and you do not know how to stop it naturally, this article is spent for you, so continue reading it!
11. Care For Your Mouth
Along with exercises, the way you care for your mouth can affect your efforts of relieving TMJ-related pain. When you floss or brush, you should not open your mouth too wide, even when you reach the second and third molars. Besides, using a proper toothpaste can help you restore any enamel that has been weakened because of grinding and clenching from pain related to TMJ.
The most important thing you should keep in mind is that when doing any TMJ exercises, they should not cause pain. When you notice any pain when opening or stretching your mouth, speak with the doctor and dentist. They can examine your mouth and offer a proper treatment.
12. Herbal Remedies For TMJ
Some herbs have been proven to be effective in treating TMJ. Extract of these following herbs can be used on the haws to give you an instant relief from pain that is related to TMJ disorder. Some of the most commonly- used herbs are:
- Valerian officinalis: This herb will help you relax muscular tension.
- Kava: This herb will help you relax nervous system
- Magnesia phosphorica: This herb will help you ease stiff muscles.
- Rhustoxicodendron: This herb will help you loosen stiff jaw
- Kali phosphorica: This herb will help you reduce nerve pain.
- Methylsulfonylmethane: This herb will help you reduce inflammation as well as ease muscular spasm.
13. How To Stop Tmj – Chiropractic Care
When muscles occurring in the cervical spine become tight, chiropractic care can also help with the TMJ disorder. According to some studies, chiropractic can reduce stress, reduce tension and improve symptoms of TMJ fast.
This is in brief one of the best tips on how to stop TMJ at home, so you should not look down it, but try to follow it to stop these TMJ disorders
14. Change Wrong Sitting Posture
Wrong sitting posture is the main cause of TMJ pain. Make a sitting habit as erect as possible. If you have a job that requires long hours of sitting, make sure that you use a chair that has a correct lumbar support. Remember to take short breaks to relax your spines. Although habits are difficult to change, it will help you get back to correct sitting posture whenever you see yourself slouching on the desk.
15. How To Stop TMJ With Cold Packs
Another out of the best tips on how to stop TMJ at home that I would like to reveal in this entire article and want you and my other readers to learn and remember that using cold packs can stop the TMJ-related pain naturally.
Applying cold packs on your neck and jaw helps ease pain and other symptoms of TMJ. To apply cold packs, you fill up a plastic bag with ice and then take a towel to cover it. Then, you place this towel on your affected neck and jaws.
16. Stop Using Pills
Many contraceptive or antibiotic pills may reduce immune system and increase muscular tension, which can cause TMJ pain. Talk to your doctor about all pills you are using for their TMJ-related implications.
This is also one of the best tips on how to stop TMJ at home that people should know and make use of this tip for good.
17. How To Stop Tmj – Stop Chewing Gums
Another one on the list of the best tips on how to stop TMJ at home that I want to reveal in this entire article today and want you and other readers to know if you are suffering from TMJ disorders. Remember that chewing gums is not good for your jaws. It can be the main cause of internal trauma, which can lead to aggravating symptoms of TMJ.
18. Use Acetaminophen Or Ibuprofen
Do not forget the benefits of good non-prescription pain relievers. Ibuprofen offers the added benefit of easing inflammation, making it one of the easy home remedies for TMJ pain.
In fact, this is among best tips on how to stop TMJ naturally, so people, especially those who suffer from TMJ disorders should know. If you are trying to know how to stop TMJ at home, continue reading this article!
19. Use The Phone Correctly
If you use your phone regularly, it is advised to get a headset. Try not to keep your phone between your cheek and shoulder as this may put a lot of tension on your jaw and neck while you are trying to do something else.
This is also a common one on the list of tips on how to stop TMJ at home that people should not look down.
20. How To Stop TMJ – A Yawning Trick
This is the last but very important out of the tips on how to stop TMJ naturally that I would like to reveal in this writing and want you and my others readers try to follow for good. In case you are suffering from TMJ, perhaps a big yawn will cause pain. If possible, try to open the mouth as less as you can while you yawn in order to avoid the pain.
In many cases of TMJ disorder, doctors often look for local causes of TMJ- related pain and fail to find the exact cause. As a result, patients often fail to find a proper treatment, whereby the anxiety and frustration increases. For an effective treatment, it is also important to correctly find the cause. Once found, proper treatment can provide physical and psychological relief.
While taking painkillers and antibiotics help in easing TMJ pain, they are temporary and they also have negative side effects. TMJ is no fun, so you should see a dentist to find persistent problems. By following these tips as I mentioned above, you will find your own temporary TMJ relief. More importantly, never challenge TMJ alone. Please talk with your dentist before following any of these home remedies. Some of them may cause more harm and even make your pain caused by TMJ disorder worse.
Another thing that I want you as well as my other readers to do after reading this article about tips on how to stop TMJ disorders naturally is to spend time reading an article that reveals natural remedies to treat TMJ – the How To Treat TMJ Naturally At Home – 6 Tips article. This is actually an interesting gathering of the best home remedies for TMJ that people can make use easily at home without any worry about harmful effects. These treatments have already supported a large number of people with TMJ disorders in the world in treating a lot of TMJ symptoms without resulting in any unwanted side effect so that readers of VKool.com should read this recommended article and then follow at least one of these home remedies to treat TMJ at home.
This is the list of 20 best tips on how to stop TMJ naturally that everyone who suffers from TMJ disorders and wants to know more about home remedies for TMJ should read and remember for good. In fact, these home remedies have already supported a lot of TMJ sufferers in the world, so you don’t need to worry when following any of these remedies at home.
After following the list of 20 best tips on how to stop TMJ naturally and learn how to stop TMJ-related symptoms at home, if you think that the list is useful for your health condition, and can help other people around you who are suffering from TMJ disorders, you should share the list with them and encourage them to follow these home remedies for TMJ for good. One more thing, as an author of VKool, I also want to know my readers’ opinions. If you get TMJ disorders and you have any of the other home remedies for TMJ, remember to share them with us by leaving comments in the comment section below, I promise to reply you soon.
Some related articles about TMJ and home remedies for TMJ symptoms that you may be interested in and need to make use of:
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- 19 Natural Ways To Increase Testosterone And Decrease Estrogen
- 29 Tips How To Get Rid Of Tonsil Stones At Home Without Gagging
- How to increase motivation at work – 6 best tips
- Weight loss tea recipe: top 11 best solutions
- Foods that cause bloating list: 24 worst foods
- How to increase chances of getting pregnant during ovulation
- Men’s divorce tactics review – is Jim Williams’s guide useful?
- 18 Black & White Pepper Health Benefits & Risks Research