Colic in babies may be defined as intermittent or unexplained crying for 1 or 2 times per day by a healthy and well-fed child. Usually, these crying bouts last for several hours per day and occur at least 3 times per week for more than 3 weeks. This issue is found in 5 – 25 percentages of infants at some places.
It begins when a baby is two or three weeks old and can resolve gradually within several months, often by the time this baby is 4 – 6 months old. Sometimes, it may also be a problem in some older babies.
Although the exact reason is unknown, one suspected cause is that air is trapped in the abdominal cavity leading to discomfort and pain. Moreover, babies born to women who smoked after delivery or during pregnancy have the higher risk of developing colic.
Some symptoms of colic include crying, moaning, pain, cramping, and finicky behavior. In severe cases, babies may also show symptoms such as frequent vomiting, unstable body temperature, a change in stools, fatigue, and poor weight gain.
Colic may be distressing for not only the baby but also the parents. Parents of these babies may suffer from relationship stress, postpartum depression, and breastfeeding problems.
You need to handle this situation properly and be grateful that in a matter of several weeks or months, this colic will end. Meanwhile, you may try some simple ways to help to alleviate the discomfort and fussiness of your child.
In this writing, VKool will show to you top 16 ways on how to treat colic in babies naturally at home without any side effect. This article listed the best methods to remove this problem from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Continue reading this article to understand more!
Top 16 Ways On How To Get Rid Of Pneumonia Naturally & Fast
1. Asafetida Powder And Water
Asafetida is a very effective way on how to treat colic in babies naturally at home. It works as an anti-flatulent, relieves gas, and aids digestion.
- Asafetida powder – 1 pinch
- Water – 1 tablespoon
- Firstly, you add asafetida powder into the water.
- Next, you heat the solution and then let it cool down.
- Now, you rub this solution around the navel of your baby (don’t put in the navel).
- You should repeat this treatment for your baby for about 2 or 3 times per day for better results.
- Breastfeeding mothers may add ½ teaspoon of this powder into 1 glass of lukewarm water and then drink it for twice daily.
- For babies who have begun eating solid foods, you can mix 1 pinch of asafetida powder into their food before feeding.
2. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile contains sedative (5 sedatives) and antispasmodic (19 different antispasmodic ingredients) properties that can help to induce relaxation and relieve intestinal cramping.
- Dried chamomile flowers – 1/2 teaspoon
- Boiling water
- A cup
- At first, you take dried chamomile flowers.
- Then, you place them into the cup
- Next, you fill this cup with hot water and cover it.
- Now, you allow it to sit for about 10 to 15 minutes and then strain the tea.
- Finally, you give 1 teaspoon of this tea to your child throughout the day.
- A nursing mother may also drink this tea for 2 to 3 times per day if she is not allergic to pollens.
- You should repeat this remedy for about once or twice per day till your baby get relief from this colic problem.
- You may also replace flowers with packed chamomile tea bags.
- Don’t feed more than two to four ounces of this tea to your infants. Moreover, avoid strong chamomile tea.
3. Fennel Seeds And Hot Water
Fennel is a wonder method on how to treat colic in babies naturally at home. It may relieve gas and ease general discomforts related to stomach. Both breastfeeding mothers and babies can benefit from these seeds.
- Crushed fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Firstly, you add the crushed fennel seeds into the cup of hot water.
- Then, you cover and steep it for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- After that, you strain the tea.
- A breastfeeding mother may drink this tea for about 2 or 3 times per day. Small babies may be given about ½ to 1 tsp of this herbal tea for 3 times per day.
- You should follow this treatment for your baby on the daily basis.
4. Soy Products
The protein present in cow’s milk is considered as the culprit for this issue. This protein is also present in many baby formulas including dairy products and in some types of milk for breastfeeding mothers. According to some studies, there will be a significant improvement in colic after removing the dairy products from the diet of your babies. Therefore, you should try to remove the dairy products for about 2 weeks and you as well as your baby can replace dairy with soy products (if you are breast feeding). You will notice the improvement for about 3 to 4 days. If not, you can assume that milk is not the culprit in this issue.
Read more: Advantages of soy milk for skin & health
5. Running Water
Water is regarded as one of the simple ways on how to treat colic naturally and calm your child. Make them hear the sound of water that can help in soothing themselves.
- A bowl
- A sink
- Firstly, you take the bowl and put it in the sink.
- Then, you turn on your faucet and hold your baby next to this sink.
- This process will help them to hear the sound of water cascading into the bowl.
- If the sink in your kitchen cannot produce the enough volume in order to hear the sound, you may try bathroom sink because this can accentuate the calming sounds of water.
- Or, you can also place a warm water bottle against your baby’s stomach to get the same effect to them and relieve colic.
6. Mint And Hot Water
Mint has antispasmodic properties that can aid in reducing the intestinal spasms in babies who are facing with this colic problem.
Here are simple direction on how to treat colic in babies naturally using mint and hot water!
- Dried mint herb – 1 teaspoon
- Boiling water
- A cup
- At first, you take the dried mint herb and then place it into the cup.
- Next, you fill this cup with boiling water.
- Now, you cover this cup and steep it for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- After that, you strain the tea.
- Finally, you feed it to your child by pouring the tea into a bottle, when it is still warm.
- Even nursing mothers can also drink 1 cup of mint tea.
- You should continue taking or feeding the tea until your babies relieve this colic problem.
7. Basil Leaves And Boiling Water
Being an aromatic herb, basil has great amounts of eugenol that in turn has sedative and antispasmodic properties. Therefore, it can help your baby to get relief from this problem.
- Dried basil leaves – 1 teaspoon
- Boiling water
- A cup
- Firstly, you add the dried basil leaves into the cup.
- Then, you pour boiling water into it and cover it.
- Next, you let it steep for 10 to 15 minutes and then strain the tea
- When the tea is still warm or at the room temperature, you give it to your babies by pouring it into a bottle
- A nursing mother may drink this tea.
- You should repeat this way regularly till your child got relief from this problem.
- Women who are breastfeeding may also drink this tea for about 2 or 3 times per day.
- Another option, you can grind basil leaves (1 tablespoon) with a little clean water to form a paste. Then, you apply this paste around the navel and abdomen of your baby. Now, you allow it to dry and wipe it off gently by using a wet tissue. You can repeat this method as needed.
See more: Health advantages of basil
8. Peppermint Stick And Water
Peppermint flavored water is another century aged method on how to treat colic in babies naturally. It has an active ingredient known as calcium channel blocker that can help to relieve the intestinal distress, a very common problem related to colic.
Way 1: Peppermint stick
- A peppermint stick
- At first, you soak a peppermint stick into the clean water for several minutes.
- Remember that many peppermint sticks also contain sugar and thus, you should choose the good one in order to make a tea.
- Then, you strain the tea.
- Now, you feed this tea to your baby by adding it into a bottle.
- A nursing woman may drink this tea regularly.
- However, make sure that do not use peppermint oil directly to make the tea because it is too strong for your baby.
- You should regularize this process for your baby to remove this colic problem completely.
Way 2: Peppermint oil and baby oil
- Peppermint oil – 2 drops
- Baby massage oil – 1 tablespoon
- First, you add peppermint oil into any baby massage oil.
- Then, you use this oil mixture to massage the abdominal area of your baby with gentle circular motions.
- You should do this method for at least 2 times per day.
Learn more: Health advantages of peppermint oil supplements
To discover other natural ways on how to treat colic, continue reading the next parts of this writing!
Massage the stomach of your baby in a clockwise direction as well as curl the knees towards your baby’s stomach gently will surely give relief. Because the babies can swallow a lot of the air during their cry, a gentle massage will help to release the gas trapped in their stomach. In addition, bathing your child in warm water can also work well in curing colic.
10. Knee Pushing Exercise
As you know, gentle exercise is very necessary for your baby to make sure smooth digestion. And one exercise that may be used as an effective way on how to treat colic in babies naturally is knee pushes.
- At first, you put your child in a lying position.
- Then, you gently hold the knees of your baby together.
- Now, you slowly bend your baby’s legs at the knees; then push them towards your baby’s tummy.
- Finally, you hold the legs in the position for about 4 to 6 seconds.
- You should repeat this way for your baby for several times per day.
Note: You should not do this exercise forcefully or whenever there is resistance from the baby.
11. Oil Massage
In fact, regular oil massages are one of the effective ways on how to treat colic in babies naturally that you should try for your babies. Massage will help keep your baby warm, prevent gas, and ensure a proper digestion. Moreover, oil massage will also help your baby sleep soundly after each feeding. Click To Tweet
- Warm olive oil – some drops
- Firstly, you put the warm olive oil on the hands.
- Then, you use it to massage your baby’s tummy gently in clockwise circles.
- You also massage your baby’s rib cage, hands, pelvis, and feet.
- You should do this process for several times per day.
Read more: Best uses of olive oil for scalp treatment
12. Burp Your Baby
Another way on how to treat colic in babies naturally is to burp the baby after feeding. Burping will help to release gas as well as prevent these air pockets from forming into your baby’s stomach that may cause discomfort.
- After feeding, you sit the baby upright or hold her/him against your shoulder.
- Then, you support your baby’s head and neck properly.
- Now, you gently rub your baby’s tummy and back till you can hear a very small burping sound.
- Finally, you lay your baby down.
- You should do this method after each feeding in order to prevent colic.
13. Play Music
As you know, playing soothing music is another simple way on how to treat colic in babies naturally at home. This can help to distract your baby from this issue. Singing a lullaby to your colicky baby or else setting a background music or noise will divert their attention. Your Child loves to be held because it can make them feel loved and safe. Therefore, while singing rock your child in your arms, you should try a different position and ten check which one acts well for your baby to sleep properly or put your child into a vibrating crib.
Read more: The book of metabolic switch diet plan
14. Warm Bath
Give your child a warm bath throughout colicky times. This contains a soothing effect on the baby as well as helps to distract and make the baby sleepy.
- A baby bathtub
- Warm water
- Lavender oil – a few drops
- At first, you fill the baby’s bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Then, you add lavender oil into it.
- Now, you bathe your child in this water.
- While you are doing this, you should massage your baby’s tummy area gently to ease painful trapped gas.
- Finally, you dry your baby and then rock gently to help her/him sleep.
15. Warm Compress
Another easy way on how to treat colic in babies naturally is a warm compress. These warm compresses applied on your baby’s tummy will provide her/him relief from the gas as well as have a soothing effect.
- A very soft towel
- Warm water
- At first, you dip the very soft towel into the warm water.
- Then, you wring it out to remove the excess water.
- Now, you place this warm towel on your baby’s tummy.
- You may even rub this towel gently in a circular motion for a few minutes.
- You should follow this simple remedy for your baby for 2 times per day.
Note: You do not use hot water for your babies.
- Let the baby lie on her or his tummy for about 15 to 20 minutes per day.
- Breastfeeding mothers should have probiotic yogurt into the diet to improve their own and their baby’s digestive system.
- Keep your child in motion such as playing with a rocking chair, a moving car, etc. to stop her or him from crying.
- Try putting the baby down to sleep.
- A pacifier or repetitious sounds such as the noise of a humidifier or fan can be useful for a colicky baby.
- Changing the baby’s milk formula may also help a lot in babies with colic pain.
- Feed your child as often as needed as well as do not forget about a burping.
- Breastfeeding mothers should have a healthy diet as well as avoid stimulants such as chocolate and caffeine. You may also consult a doctor of your baby and consider changing your daily diet for about 2 weeks to remove certain foods such as nuts and dairy products to rule out the ability of an unknown allergy to your baby.
- Hold your child as upright as possible while feeding.
- Remember that babies often cry when they are tired (check whether your baby is not crying due to fatigue by trying feeding, checking illness signs, burping, cuddling, etc. In such cases, picking your child up will stimulate your baby further and this results in more tears. Hence, you should leave your crying baby alone and then make them sleep for getting more relief from this discomfort.
- Adding fiber into your baby’s food can help to reduce this colic problem. Starting from half a teaspoon for 3 times per day and then increase it to half a teaspoon for 6 times per day can do the trick.
- Try to understand that this colic problem is not a very serious medical problem that will not threaten your baby’s health. It is only one of the normal stages of your baby’s development; thus, allow it to pass soon by calming down.
- Wait until your baby attains 6 months old because this is the ending time of this colic problem.
- Change the diaper of the child every night regularly before they go to bed, cuddle together in your baby’s rocking chair and finally place your baby in the crib while they are going to bed completely.
- Try to hold the baby in the upright position during feeding. Also, choose bottles having disposable and collapsible bags can reduce the amount of air that your baby swallows rather than other types of bottle.
- Sucking gives a soothing effect to your baby’s either it may be breastfeeding or giving a pacifier to calm the baby.
- In addition, give sugar water, apply fennel oil on the stomach of your baby, homeopathic remedies, acupuncture, and go for chiropractic manipulation are other useful tips help your baby to get relief from this colic problem.
If you want to know more about natural ways for many other diseases and conditions related to your skin and health, go to our main How to page. After reading the article of top 16 ways on how to treat colic in babies naturally, hope that you can find out the best solutions to remove this problem for your baby naturally & fast at home. Nevertheless, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any natural way for your baby. Make sure that you have to call a pediatrician if you do not calm your baby and she/he is crying continuously for many hours. If you have any question, or you know other ways on how to treat colic in babies naturally and fast, please leave them below.