Constipation is a common problem in dogs, which means difficult, absent or infrequent bowel movements. Constipation in dogs happens due to inadequate hydration or lack of exercise. Some other causes of constipations in dogs include inadequate fiber intake, blocked anal sacs, obesity, an enlarged prostate gland, side effects of medication, and orthopedic problems. If you don’t treat constipations in your dog as soon as possible, the colon can get full of an uncomfortably large quantity of feces, which can lead to unproductive straining, appetite loss, lethargy, and vomiting as well. It is, therefore, essential to treat this issue immediately. There are a lot of medicines for constipation treatment that your veterinarian may prescribe. However, you can also use a few natural ways on how to treat constipations in dogs naturally to boost the healing process. These remedies will also provide instant relief to your dog and make her or his bowel movements regular. Continue reading this post at VKool.com site in the line of How To to know more what the natural remedies are.
Top 9 Methods On How To Treat Constipation In Dogs Naturally That Work
1. Do Exercise
Doing exercise may be one of the simplest and most effective ways on how to treat constipations in dogs naturally. Exercise is very vital for your dog because it helps raise intestinal products motility and enhances elimination of waste products, too. Also, it even promotes blood circulation. Sedentary dogs are more venerable to constipation as well as other health problems than dogs who regularly exercise. Try some instructions below:
- Moderate 30-minute walks two times every day is considered good exercise for young dogs.
- Try 2 short walks of 15 minutes daily for older dogs. Remember to avoid tiring, long walks for older pets. Apart from walking, you can also spend some time to play with your dog at home.
2. How To Treat Constipation In Dogs With Yogurt
Another great remedy on how to treat constipation in dogs is adding probiotics and digestive enzymes to the diet of your dogs in the form of yogurt. Yogurt can help to enhance the good bacteria’s multiplication in the gastrointestinal tract, as it contains the probiotics. As a result, it helps increase digestive material fermentation, thus it can be passed and absorbed through the colon easily. Follow the instructions below:
- For a small dog: Feed about 1-2 tsp of yogurt
- For a medium-sized dog: Feed about 1-2 tbsp of yogurt
- For a large dog: Feed around 2 to 4 tbsp of yogurt
3. How To Treat Constipation In Dogs With Figs
Figs are not only good for constipation treatment in humans but also for the dogs. They are full of fiber and add potassium to your dog’s diet. All you have to do is take some dried figs and soak them in water overnight. The following morning, grind them well to create a paste. Then, feed a small quantity of this paste to your pet one to two times every day for several days. Overconsumption of figs can cause diarrhea so that you need to feed it to your dog in moderate.
4. How To Treat Constipation In Dogs With Pumpkin
Another effective way on how to treat constipation in dogs is feeding pumpkin. Pumpkin will help the pet poop thanks to its high fiber and water content. In addition, with its rich soluble fiber, pumpkin dissolves in water to create a viscous gel that soothes and coats irritated bowels. You can feed either canned puree or homemade fresh pumpkin puree, 2 or 3 times per day. Follow the dosage below:
- Give 1 to 2 tsp for pets weighing less than fifteen pounds.
- Give 1 to 2 tbsp for dogs weighing around 15 to 35 pounds.
- Give 2 to 5 tbsp for dogs weighing about 35 pounds or more.
Note: Pumpkin pie contains sugars and spices so that don’t feed it to your dog.
Learn more: A Book Of 3 Week Diet
5. How To Treat Constipation In Dogs With Aloe Vera
Aloe vera plant works as a natural system cleanser and has an advantageous effect on digestive functioning. Small quantities of this juice can give comfort to a constipated pet. You should give aloe vera in the form of juice to pets. All you have to do is mix aloe vera juice (½ teaspoon) with regular dog food and then feed it to your dog two times a day. For large dogs, increase the amount to a tablespoon. You should consult your vegetarian before giving aloe vera juice to your dog because some pets may be allergic to it.
6. How To Treat Constipation In Dogs With Ginger And Chicken Broth
Another effective way on how to treat constipations in dogs is using feeding homemade ginger & chicken broth. The chicken broth contains the fat that acts as a laxative to give instant relief from constipation. Ginger helps digestive health and keeps bowel movements regular. Especially, homemade broth reduces the chance of dehydration, which worsens the condition. For treating this condition with this homemade ginger & chicken broth, you take a pan of water and bring it to a boil. Next, add a few chicken bouillon cubes and ¼ tsp of grated ginger. Then, cook until those cubes dissolve and let the broth cool. After that, feed a small quantity of this broth to your pet a couple of times per day.
7. How To Treat Constipation In Dogs With Milk
Milk is also one of the best natural ways on how to treat constipation in dogs. If your dog is not sensitive or allergic to milk, it can treat constipation very effectively. Milk acts as a canine laxative and promotes intestinal motility within hours. You can feed ¼ – ½ cup of milk to your dog. After being fed milk, if he or she doesn’t vomit instantly, then serve it again after some hours. Remember to offer milk no more than two times a day because giving milk in excess can cause diarrhea.
8. Adequate Hydration
As mentioned above, inadequate water intake is a common reason for constipation. Thus, adequate hydration is necessary to prevent and treat constipation in dogs. If water intake of your dogs is not enough, the stool will become dry and hard, leading to constipation. Always ensure your dog has an approach to fresh water. It is advisable to change the water of your dog once per day. You should stay away from a high-grain diet, because digestive system of a dog processes grains difficultly.
9. How To Treat Constipation In Dogs With Bran
Bran, when added to the food of your dog regularly, acts as a preventive measure. Bran is high in fiber content, so it acts as a useful laxative to support easy elimination and keep things moving. Depending upon your dog’ size, add bran (½ to 2 teaspoons) to your dog’s daily food. It’s suggested to add it to wet food since it will absorb a lot of water. Eating bran makes your dog consume more water, which is beneficial for relieving constipation.
How To Treat Constipation In Dogs – Additional Tips
Aside from following the above-mentioned methods, you also need to follow some simple tips below to prevent as well as cure constipation in dogs:
- Feed your dog fresh boiled or grated vegetables, such as sweet potatoes peas, carrots, and green beans to increase fiber in the diet of your dog. Prior to administering medications or making any changes to the diet of your dog, always consult your veterinarian.
- A tablespoon of vegetable oil combined with food of your dog can assist a few severe cases of constipation. Remember to use this oil in moderate because overconsumption can lead to diarrhea.
- You can also mix Metamucil (1/2 teaspoon) for small dogs and 2 tsp for large dogs into the food of your dog with plenty of water two times a day.
- Ginger is also used to treat many kinds of digestive issues and can aid to treat constipation by decreasing muscle spasms that worsen this condition. In addition, it lessens inflammation in the bowels that can aggravate constipation in your dog.
- Don’t offer human laxatives to your pet because it is very dangerous for animals.
- Let your dog frequent opportunities defecate.
- Consult your veterinarian right away if this infection is accompanied by vomiting.
All of these natural ways will help how to treat constipation in dogs quickly. They are also well tested and have disadvantages as well. Let us know how our article helped you to treat constipation in dogs. For any question or comment, please leave in the comment part given below.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- Bust liars PDF book review – does Mark’s book work?
- 9 home remedies for shingles symptoms: pain and itch
- How to live a healthy lifestyle and lose weight
- 10 at home remedies for restless leg syndrome symptoms
- Best natural hair masks for frizzy hair: 20 homemade recipes
- 9 Ways on how to stop frequent urination naturally at night
- Aikijutsu academy review – does Armando’s course work?
- 7 Natural Ways On How To Use Coconut Oil For Head Lice And Nits