Epilepsy is known as a neurological disorder causing repeated seizures or fits. In fact, seizure episodes may last for very short periods to long periods. The bursts of electrical activities in your brain, which are not normal, is the reason causing these seizures. Until now, experts have not yet known what causes this disorder.
Repeated seizures happening without warning are the common symptoms of epilepsy. This may lead to convulsions as well as problems with movement, speech, vision, awareness or muscle control. At times, a patient may also lose consciousness or faint.
The beginning of epilepsy often happens early during childhood or after the age of 60. However, it may also occur at any period of your life. There are some certain factors increasing the risk of epilepsy such as a head injury, strokes, family history, other vascular problems, brain tumors, brain infections, dementia, prenatal brain development problems, Alzheimer’s disease, and lead poisoning.
Epileptic seizures may be scary; however, they don't cause intellectual disability or mental illness. Additionally, not everyone that suffers from seizures has epilepsy. It is required that if you usually suffer from at least 2 or more seizures within 2 days, you may be diagnosed with epilepsy.
Fortunately, you may control and ease seizures with lifestyle changes, medicines, and herbal remedies. In this article, VKool.com will show you top 10 tips on how to treat epilepsy naturally. The following writing collected information from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice. Keep reading this writing to understand more!
Top 10 Tips On How To Treat Epilepsy Naturally
1. Epsom Salt And Water Or Orange Juice
Many studies proved that Epsom salt is beneficial in easing seizures in patients with epilepsy. Thanks to the magnesium sulfate contained in it, Epsom salt will have the ability to change physiochemical cell relationships in your brain. This, in turn, reduces the frequency of convulsions and seizures.
- Firstly, you crush the pure grade Epsom salt until it forms a very fine powder.
- Then you add ½ teaspoon of this salt powder to 1 glass of water or orange juice.
- You stir them well and drink every morning.
- Or you may also use Epsom salt to take a bath for 2 or 3 times per week.
2. Garlic, Milk, And Water
The combination of garlic, milk and water is also an effective way on how to treat epilepsy. Garlic is useful in healing epilepsy. The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antispasmodic properties content in garlic help in destroying harmful free radicals in your body and promoting proper functioning of your nervous system, which, in turn, keeps seizures along with other epilepsy-related symptoms at bay.
- At first, you mix ½ cup of milk well with ½ cup of water.
- Then you boil this mixture for a few minutes.
- After that, you add 4 or 5 cloves of crushed garlic and continue to boil until this mixture reduces by half.
- Now, you strain the water and drink it once a day.
- Alternatively, you may have an intake of garlic supplements every day, but remember to consult your doctor to get the correct dosage.
3. Winter Melon
Winter melon, also called ash gourd, is also a great home treatment for epilepsy thanks to its medicinal and nutritional properties. This vegetable aids in keeping your nervous system healthy as well as ensures smooth functioning of your brain cells.
Yoga is also another of list 10 tips on how to treat epilepsy naturally. This is an age-old practice which induces relaxation, alleviates stress, and provides people suffering from epilepsy with multiple health benefits. The combination of physical postures, meditation, and controlled deep breathing assists in controlling seizures and reducing various epilepsy symptoms. Here are the top yoga poses people suffering from epilepsy should refer:
- Balasana (Child’s Pose)
- Kapotasana (Pigeon Pose)
- Nadi Shodhana (To alternate Nostril Breathing)
- Camatkarasana (Wild Thing)
- Sirsasana (Headstand)
Because it is very necessary to do yoga poses correctly to reap the benefits, you should learn them only according to the direction of an expert.
See more: 14 best yoga poses for PCOS treatment
Acupuncture is a famous remedy for seizures caused by epilepsy in traditional Chinese medicine. In acupuncture, they apply pressure to specific points on your body using fine needles.
Though its mechanism isn’t known, acupuncture may help to restore the flow of energy throughout your body and thereby altering brain activity to ease seizures.
To enjoy the great benefits of acupuncture, you’d better get it done according to the expert’s direction only.
6. Take Essential Vitamins
Having a healthy diet is an essential tip on how to treat epilepsy naturally “Click To Tweet”. There are various vitamins which can help a lot in dealing with this condition. For instance, vitamin E has the ability to control the neurons causing seizures along with anxiety disorders.
- Because epilepsy can occur because of the deficiency of vitamin B1, let consume foods rich in vitamin B1 or consult your doctor to take a vitamin B1 supplement.
- Besides, other vitamins that can assist in treating epilepsy are vitamins B6, B12 and vitamin D.
- Do not forget to consult a doctor before you want to take a supplement.
Read more: 10 best vitamins for digestion problems
7. Do Exercise
Doing physical exercise regularly will improve fitness, mood, and energy, which in turn helps you in reducing seizures as well as its impact on one’s life. Plus, doing exercise will release feel-good hormones into your brain and increase oxygen flow to your brain.
- To effectively do exercise, you just warm up yourself and do stretching exercises every day to feel more relaxed.
- Besides, walking is also one of the safest and easiest exercises that patients suffering from epilepsy should do. Keep walking for 45 minutes for at least 4 times weekly.
- Plus, swimming and various water sports may be great exercise.
- Gardening along with other relaxing activities are also effective exercises.
Note: do not forget to drink water both before and after doing exercise in order to prevent dehydration. Additionally, let stop and have a rest if you feel tired.
Passionflower is also a natural treatment on how to treat epilepsy. Passionflower helps you to ease the frequency of seizures. This herb contains a chemical called chrysin, which aids in increasing the level of GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) in the brain. This, in turn, eases anxiety as well as the frequency of seizures caused due to epilepsy.
- Now, you firstly steep the dried passionflower (1 teaspoon) in boiling water (1 cup) for 10 to 15 minutes and then strain it.
- You should drink 1 or 2 cups of this herbal tea per day to keep the seizures at bay.
- Passionflower is also found available in tablet, liquid extract, capsule, and tincture forms. Hence, you may take this herb in any form under the direction of your doctor.
Note: Do not use passionflower for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Keep reading this writing if you want to discover other great tips on how to treat epilepsy naturally!
9. Lemon Juice And Baking Soda
A popular tip on how to treat epilepsy of Ayurveda is lemon juice. Lemon juice helps you to boost blood circulation to your brain. Besides, they also have the ability to normalize excessive calcium which may prevent brain functionality.
- To make a homemade solution for treating this condition, you mix the fresh lemon juice (2 tablespoons) well with baking soda (½ teaspoon) and put them in 1 glass of water.
- You stir well and drink it every day before the bed time.
- Plus, you may also put fresh lemon juice directly on your head and then thoroughly massage for a few minutes.
- Keep doing this method daily before you take a shower.
10. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
This natural oil is highly beneficial in treating epilepsy. Coconut oil contains fatty acids that have therapeutic effects on your brain cells. Plus, they provide your brain cells to energy, which gives you a relief from the symptoms of epilepsy.
- You simply consume 1 teaspoon of this extra virgin coconut oil for 3 times each day. You may gradually increase the consumption of this oil to 2 or 3 tablespoons a day.
- Or you include coconut oil in your cooking or salad dressings.
- You should get enough time to sleep because sleep deprivation can cause seizures.
- If you suffer from seizures regularly, you’d better prepare a medical alert bracelet and wear it everywhere. This will help people in knowing about your condition.
- Keep managing stress and avoiding stressful situations.
- Remember to drink ½ cup of grape juice every day.
- Do not forget to limit the intake of alcohol as well as avoid smoking.
- Because low magnesium and calcium can cause seizures, you should eat foods rich in these nutrients.
- Always keep a written report of any seizures you suffer from and keep the doctor updated.
- Avoid consuming all “white” products such as white flour, white sugar, white rice, and table salt.
- Do not consume additives or artificial sweeteners.
- Remember to have enough main meals, especially breakfast.
- Keep following the ketogenic diet although the restrictions may be challenging.
- Last but not least, take the medicines that are prescribed correctly by the doctor in a timely manner. Remember not to stop taking the medicines without the doctor’s approval.
Note: You'd better consult a specialist for getting a proper diagnosis and remedy of this disorder.
Related link: How to prevent epilepsy attack naturally
If you want to know more tips on how to treat other diseases and conditions, go to our main How to page. After reading the article of top 10 tips on how to treat epilepsy naturally, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to deal with epilepsy naturally, quickly, and easily. However, the article is only for the informational purpose; therefore, you should see your doctor in order to get the advice. If you have any question or you know other tips on how to treat epilepsy naturally, please leave the comments below, I will respond you as soon as possible.