If you have a swelling and pain at the base of the neck and you feel more difficult to breath and also discomfort in your throat while swallowing foods, drinks or something else, you can be suffering from goiter. Goiter is the result of the enlarged thyroid gland, usually due to overproduction of thyroxine hormone also called hyperthyroidism. If the body lacks a sufficient amount of iodine, you can also suffer from goiter. In some cases, the initial stage of goiter goes unnoticed because the size of the swollen thyroid gland is very small and without any other symptoms. Although you may feel constriction in your throat, a little discomfort when swallowing and breathing along with a hoarse voice and a cough, they can be overlooked as some common symptoms of a sore throat. Hence, you shouldn't ignore any small swelling, it may be a goiter and you should meet you doctor to know whether you really have a goiter or not. If the tests are sure, you should start a treatment method for goiter immediately with conventional medicine or with another alternative treatment solution. Herbal home remedies are very useful in treating goiter.
In this writing, VKool.com will introduce to you the best ways on how to treat goiter naturally at home without any side effect. This article listed the best treatments to treat this problem from reliable sources. However, it is only for the informational target and it is not aimed to give medical advice. Continue reading this writing to understand more!
Top 12 Ways On How To Treat Goiter Naturally At Home
Watercress, or called scurvy grass, has a high content of iodine. Not only iodine, watercress is also rich in other nutrients and minerals such as germanium, sulfur, and antioxidant vitamins like vitamin B 17 that is considered as an anti-cancer vitamin. In fact, watercress is a rich source of nutrients which are beneficial for the thyroid gland, it can cure goiter excellently. Therefore, you should include watercress in your diet. In addition to this, you can also apply the following remedy in the list of top natural ways on how to treat goiter using watercress.
- Watercress – enough to get 2 tablespoons of paste.
- Firstly, you crush watercress finely to make a paste.
- Then, you apply this paste on your neck.
- Now, you leave it on there for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Finally, you wash it off with clean water and pat it dry.
- You should follow this simple remedy regularly.
2. Dandelion Leaves With Ghee (Or Clarified Butter)
Being a very useful herb, dandelion is used in many remedies for various diseases, often in a tea form. For goiter treatment, the leaves of dandelion are used in a paste form along with ghee (clarified butter) to decrease the swelling in the neck area due to the enlarged thyroid gland. In fact, usage of ghee has made it clear that it is also one of other natural ways on how to treat goiter.
- A handful of dandelion leaves
- 2 tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter)
- At first, you add a little water into these dandelion leaves and crush them to get a paste.
- Then, you mix this paste with clarified butter.
- Now, you heat this mixture to make it lukewarm.
- After that, you apply the lukewarm paste over your neck area.
- Finally, you leave it on there for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- You should do this remedy daily for at least two weeks.
Learn more: The book of Natural Thyroid Diet
3. Flaxseed Paste
Flaxseed also has been considered as a powerhouse of nutrients that include antioxidants. The anti-inflammatory properties in flaxseed can help you to remove the swelling of the thyroid gland. Therefore, you should not skip flaxseed paste if you are finding how to treat goiter.
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- Water – enough to make a paste
- Firstly, you mix the flaxseed powder with water to get a paste.
- Then, you apply this flaxseed paste onto your throat.
- Now, you leave it on there for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Finally, you wash it off with plain water and pat it dry with a soft cloth.
Another option, you can also boil the flaxseed along with water and use this solution to wash your throat and neck to get instant relief from the swelling.
Learn more: Health and beauty advantages of flaxseeds
According to Gale Maleskey, a nutritional therapist, garlic can reduce the swelling of your neck area caused by the enlarged thyroid gland. In addition, he also recommends eating raw garlic cloves at least 3 times per week. Moreover, garlic is considered as a useful way in the list of top ways on how to treat goiter. Therefore, you should include these garlic cloves in your daily diet.
Ways to consume garlic:
- You should chew 3 to 4 raw garlic cloves in every morning.
- You can add raw garlic cloves with tomatoes, olive oil, and onion to make your salsa.
- Moreover, you can also add minced raw garlic cloves with parsley, and lemon juice to make salad dressing.
- You should sprinkle these raw minced garlic cloves on buttered toast.
- In addition, you can add garlic cloves to mashed avocados in order to get a delicious dip.
- It is better for you to add minced garlic cloves to your sauces.
- You can use garlic cloves in your mashed potatoes.
- Or you make a tea with garlic, lemon, and honey.
5. Sorrel Leaves And Olive Oil
Sorrel leaves can be used for making salads, soups, and sauces. In addition, this is also an effective way on how to treat goiter you should try!
- A handful of sorrel leaves
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Firstly, you crush these sorrel leaves to get a paste.
- Then, you add olive oil into this paste and mix them well.
- Now, you apply this mixture on your neck.
- After that, you leave it on there for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Finally, you wash it off with plain water and pat it dry.
Note: Whenever you apply the mixture on your neck, you have to lie down to keep the mixture in place. If you don’t keep yourself in this position, you cannot get the benefit because the mixture will fall off.
Learn more: Advantages and uses of olive oil on the skin
6. Kanchanara Bark Powder With Ginger Powder
In India, kanchanara is used traditionally as a useful way on how to treat goiter. It is especially beneficial for treating the swollen glands, particularly in head and neck area. In addition, it is also used as a folk treatment for some diseases such as sinusitis, sore throat, diarrhea, skin ulcers, and abdominal.
- 2 teaspoons of kanchanara bark powder
- ¾ cup of water
- ½ teaspoon of ginger powder
- A vessel
- Firstly, you put the kanchanara bark powder into the wide mouthed vessel.
- Then, you pour water into it.
- Now, you boil the mixture over medium heat until it reduces about 40 ml of the original quantity.
- You should keep stirring it while boiling this decoction.
- After that, you strain the decoction.
- Then, you take half of the decoction and add ginger powder into it.
- Finally, you have it before your breakfast.
- In the evening, you have the remaining decoction after adding ginger powder into it. You should have it before your meal.
- Remember that you need not re-heat the decoction.
7. Green Tea Leaves, Hot Water, And Honey
Green tea is another way that you should follow if you are finding how to treat goiter. Due to its energy boosting and stimulating properties, green tea can enhance the functioning of your thyroid gland. In addition, it is high in natural fluoride that can support the thyroid. Its antioxidants combat free radicals, which are known to stimulate the growth of goiter and even tumors.
- 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey (optional)
- Firstly, you put these green tea leaves into a pot.
- Then, you pour hot water over it.
- Now, you allow it to steep for about 2 to 5 minutes.
- After that, you strain it and add honey into it.
- Finally, you mix them well and have it.
- You should take this green tea for about 2 to 3 times per day.
8. Kelp Seaweed
Brown algae or called kelp has lots of natural iodine. It can help in regularizing the thyroid gland. In Japan, people often include a lot of kelp in their diet. Therefore, you can learn to prepare certain Japanese dishes such as dashi soups and sushi. Nevertheless, there are many ways to add kelp seaweed to your diet. By this way, you also have an effective way on how to treat goiter.
Ways to add kelp into your diet:
- In Japan, kelp is also known as kombu. Get pickled or dried kombu from an Asian supermarket and use it for preparing Japanese dishes or innovating your dishes using kombu.
- Kelp is salty naturally in taste. You can fill the dried kelp powder into a sprinkler to replace salt with it for seasoning your foods. Or if you use iodized salt, you can use it along with kelp powder.
- You can add dried kelp powder (1 to 2 tablespoons) to your smoothies made with milk and fruits!
- In addition, you can add raw kelp noodles into your raw soups and salads.
- Or, you can soak some kelp buds into the water and then add them to salads and wraps.
- You blend soaked kelp buds along with a little good oil such as olive oil or vinegar in order to make salad dressing.
There are a lot of other easy ways on how to treat goiter naturally at home presented in the next part of this writing, so keep reading it if you want to discover more!
9. Dried Motherwort Herb, Boiling Water, And Honey
If you are suffering from rapid heartbeat because of the overactive thyroid, you should have motherwort tea to decrease this symptom. In fact, this herb is made of alkaloids, flavonoids, iridoids, terpenoids, triterpenes (ursolic acid), and tannins. According to many studies, ursolic acid contains tumor-inhibiting, cardioactive, antiviral, and cytotoxic properties.
- Dried motherwort herb – 1 teaspoon
- Boiling water – 1 cup
- Honey – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Firstly, you put the herb into the cup.
- Then, you pour the boiling water into it.
- Now, you steep this herb for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After that, you add honey into this tea and have it.
- You should drink this tea regularly to get rid of this problem.
10. Dried Bugleweed Herb, Hot Water, And Honey
Bugleweed herb is traditionally used for treating overactive thyroid gland, breast pain, weak heart, and edema. Bugleweed is rich in phenolic acids, tannins, and flavonoids, which can help to inhibit the overproduction of thyrotropin. Excessive thyrotropin can cause goiter. Nevertheless, if you are taking diuretics or thyroid medicines, you have to consult your doctor before consuming this herb. Consuming tea with this herb is another way on how to treat goiter that you should follow.
- Dried bugleweed herb – 1 teaspoon
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Raw honey (optional) – 2 teaspoons
- At first, you put bugleweed herb into a cup.
- Then, you pour hot water into this cup.
- Now, you steep it for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After that, you add honey into this tea if using and have it.
- You should have this tea for about three times per day.
11. Coconut Oil
Including coconut oil in the daily diet is another simple way on how to treat goiter you should follow. Therefore, you should try to include coconut oil of about ¼ cup in a day. Here are some ways that help you have coconut oil.
Ways to add coconut oil in the daily diet:
- You can use coconut oil to replace with your vegetable oil for cooking.
- Or you can add coconut oil into your smoothies.
- Another option, you can also add coconut oil into your favorite tea such as stinging nettle tea.
- In addition, you can also add coconut oil into your coffee. For this, you mix coconut oil, organic unsalted butter, and a dash of vanilla in coffee. You can add honey for natural sweetness.
12. Dried Lemon Balm, Hot Water, And Honey
Lemon balm is basically used for promoting healthy immune system in those having the autoimmune disease. It can decrease hormone levels as well as the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. This herb can slow down the pituitary function so that it will lower thyroid-stimulating hormone levels. This will lead to reducing thyroid hormone level. It seems to be contradictory, but lemon balm is used to raise thyroid hormone levels in people suffering from hypothyroidism. Therefore, lemon balm has a balancing effect on thyroid functioning that can help to restore optimum hormone levels in people with autoimmune thyroid disease. However, if you have glaucoma, you should avoid lemon balm. Otherwise, you can make lemon balm tea to cure goiter.
- dried lemon balm – 2 tablespoons
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Raw honey (optional) – 1 to 2 teaspoon
- Firstly, you put lemon balm into a cup.
- Then, you pour hot water into it.
- Now, you steep it for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After that, you add honey into this tea.
- Finally, you have this tea for 3 to 4 times per day.
If you want to know more about natural, home remedies for other diseases and conditions go to our main How To page. After reading the article of top 12 ways on how to treat goiter, hope that it can help you find out the best solution to treat goiter thyroid naturally and quickly at home. Nevertheless, the article is only for the informational target, thus, you should consult your doctor to get advice before applying any natural way. If you have any question, or you know other natural ways on how to treat goiter, please leave them below.