Do you suffer from itchy scalp? This may make you feel embarrassed in public, cause hair loss and discomfort. Some of common causes of itchy scalp include dandruff, sebaceous cysts, dry scalp, excessive anxiety, fungus, viral infections, poor diet and poor hair care.
There are different ways to treat itchy scalp naturally while saving a lot of money. In this article in VKool site, we are going to show you more details about causes of itchy scalp and ways on how to treat itchy scalp with dandruff naturally. Check out and apply some that will really work for you!
How To Treat Itchy Scalp With Dandruff Naturally: 10 Remedies
I. Causes Of Itchy Scalp
Before exploring ways on how to treat itchy scalp, have an overview about causes of itchy scalp. There are different causes of an itchy scalp with dandruff. For instance, frequent washing can lose the natural oil on your scalp that makes it weak and easy to be infected with fungus. Or infrequent washing can also lead to the buildup of skin cells and oil, then cause dandruff flakes. Plus, dry indoor air and cold weather can also cause a dry scalp. Besides, stress can be a major cause of your hair loss and dandruff.
Another major contributor to an itchy scalp may be psoriasis. This skin condition is caused by a malfunction in the immunity where mistakenly overactive white blood cells heal healthy cells, and psoriasis may lead to the buildup of red, itchy and swollen patches. This malfunction can have its causes in both environment and genes.
II. Home Remedies For Itchy Scalp
1. Tea Tree Oil
When it comes to home remedies for itchy scalp, tea tree oil is on the top. It can work to treat itchy scalp thanks to its powerful natural anti-inflammation, antibacterial and antifungal properties. You can make use of tea tree essential oil in different ways.
- Add about 10 – 20 drops of tea tree essential oil to 1/2 cup of shampoo. Wash your hair with this solution daily until your condition improves
In alternative way, you can:
- Dilute 2 or 3 drops of tea tree essential oil in 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, then massage the solution onto the scalp. By using this treatment regularly, your itchy scalp can be healed within just 1 or 2 weeks.
2. Lemon Juice
Beside tea tree oil, you can try lemon juice. It can treat a dry and itchy scalp thanks to its natural antiseptic properties. It is especially useful when you have to deal with dandruff.
- Simply, apply some lemon juice thoroughly on your scalp. Then, let it sit there for about 5 minutes, then shampoo the hair as usual. In case, you don’t suffer from dandruff, dilute the fresh lemon juice in some water
In alternative way, you can also:
- Mix some yogurt with fresh lemon juice and apply the mixture on the scalp for several minutes. Then, wash your hair with a shampoo as usual. Repeat it daily until your dryness and itchiness disappears
3. Baking Soda
Next to natural ways on how to treat itchy scalp, try baking soda. It helps relieve your itchiness by exfoliating your scalp while controlling the buildup of dandruff caused by fungi.
- First, make a paste of water and baking soda
- Then, directly apply the mixture onto your scalp
- To get the best results, simply rub a little olive essential oil on the scalp before you apply the mixture
- Allow it to soak into the scalp for about 10 – 15 minutes
- Then, rinse off with water
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Like baking soda, apple cider vinegar contains natural anti-inflammation gents that can help kill virus and yeast causing itchy scalp. Additionally, the vinegar can help balance pH levels of your scalp for helping relieve dryness and itching.
- First, rinse your scalp and hair with water, then leave it dry
- Next, mix equal amounts of water and apple cider vinegar
- Then, pour the solution into a little spray bottle
- Directly, apply the mixture onto the scalp with cotton balls
- Next, spray it on the scalp
- Leave it there for several minutes
- Then, shampoo with water as normal
Follow the treatment 1 to 2 times a week!
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil can be beneficial for treating an itchy scalp. It creates a barrier to keep your scalp moisturized that you can get rid of itchiness and dandruff.
- First, wash your hair, then rub several drops of coconut essential oil onto your scalp
- Let it sit there for about 30 mins
- Then wash off with a mild shampoo
- Follow this treatment 2 or 3 times a weeks
Alternatively, you can:
- Gently heat some coconut oil
- Let it warm and add the oil to your shampoo
- Wash your hair with this mixture
- Then wash off with a mild shampoo
- Follow this treatment 2 or 3 times a week
6. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel contains moisturizing properties, which may relieve excessive dryness and itching. If fresh aloe vera gel is not available, you can purchase the gel.
- Spread some fresh aloe vera gel onto your scalp using your fingers.
- Allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo
Next to simple ways on how to treat itchy scalp, this is banana. You can find this fruit easily in any fruit store and make your own home remedy for itchy scalp at home. Bananas not only help in treating an itchy scalp, but also help condition your hair. The moisturizing and nourishing agents in bananas can help reduce inflammation, dandruff and flakes on your scalp effectively.
- First, mash 2 bananas, then mix them with 1 ripe avocado
- Then, apply the mixture to your hair and scalp
- Let it sit there for at least 30 mins
- Finally rinse thoroughly with water
8. Jojoba Oil
Like coconut essential oil, jojoba oil is an awesome natural moisturizing remedy to relieve an itchy and dry scalp. It is believed that the molecular structure of the oil is similar to that of human’s natural sebum, thereby making it an effective hydrating and rejuvenating treatment.
- First, take a few drops of jojoba essential and massage them onto the scalp for several minutes before you go to sleep
- Let it sit there overnight
- Wash your scalp and hair with a shampoo in the next morning
- Repeat the solution once or twice a week
9. Witch Hazel
Beside coconut oil, jojoba oil with their natural anti-bacterial and moisturizing properties , you can try witch hazel among natural ways on how to treat itchy scalp.
Witch hazel is a powerful natural astringent, which can relieve an itchy scalp fast. The herb is very useful when you suffer from an itchy scalp caused by your daily blow drying and hair coloring.
- First, mix 1 part of witch hazel with 2 parts of water
- Next, apply this mixture onto your hair and scalp, then massage thoroughly
- Leave it on for several minutes
- Finally, wash and rinse thoroughly with water
10. Sesame Seed Oil
Sesame seed oil is highly healing, lubricating and nourishing, so it is an effective remedy for an itchy and dry scalp.
- First, warm some sesame oil
- Then, massage the scalp with the oil before you go to sleep each night
- To get the best results, massage your scalp with your fingertips within 10 minutes
- Next, wrap your hair in a towel
- Let it sit there for 10 minutes before you go to sleep
- When the sesame oil remains on your hair and scalp through the night, it helps provide an optimum moisturizing to these areas
- Finally, shampoo and rinse off thoroughly with water in the morning
- Continue the treatment when necessary
Read on: Secrets To Growing Black Hair Long
You’ve discovered the top 10 remedies and ways on how to treat itchy scalp with dandruff naturally. Hope that you would get positive improvement. For any comment on the writing, drop it into the comment box! Thanks for reading!
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- 10 tips on how to treat burns on hand naturally and effectively
- Best cleanser for dry skin on face – 5 facial cleaning tips
- 15 home remedies to lose belly fat fast and naturally at home
- Vegan diet plan – top 16 recipes for weight loss
- 12 Natural makeup & beauty tips for teenage girls 2014
- 23 Ways on how to get rid of foot odor naturally & fast
- 18 Health and beauty benefits of yogurt consumption
- 47 Tips on How to Grow Taller Faster Naturally