A sprain is a short way of saying you have overstretched or torn a muscle. It often occurs when your joint is twisted, injuring your ligaments which connect your bones in your joint.
Ankle sprains may result from walking or running on uneven ground, lifting heavy weights, accidents, and wearing high-heel shoes. People with ankle sprains experience some common symptoms such as restricted range of motion, pain, bruising, and swelling.
In fact, a sprain may change from mild to severe. If severe sprains need medical care, a mild ankle sprain can easily be treated at home with some effective and simple ways.
In this writing, VKool.com will show to you top 26 ways on how to treat sprained ankle fast at home without any side effect. This article listed the best methods to treat this problem from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Continue reading this article to understand more!
Top 26 Ways On How To Treat Sprained Ankle Fast At Home
1. Turmeric, Lemon Juice, Limestone Powder, And Water
Turmeric is a great pain reliever thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Click To Tweet In addition, the antispasmodic effect in turmeric can relax your muscles, joints, and tissues and help to reduce the swelling and pain. Therefore, this is one of the effective ways on how to treat sprained ankle fast at home that you should try!
Way 1: Turmeric powder and water
- Turmeric powder – 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Water – enough to create a paste
- A cloth
- Firstly, you add water to turmeric and mix them to make a smooth paste.
- Then, you warm the paste a little.
- Next, you apply this paste onto your sprained ankle, preferably in the evening.
- Now, you wrap a cloth over the turmeric poultice.
- If you do not apply at night, you let it stay for at least 1 to 2 hours.
- Finally, you wash the paste thoroughly with warm water.
Way 2: Turmeric powder, lemon juice, and warm water
- Turmeric powder – 2 teaspoons
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- A little warm water
- A bandage
- Firstly, you mix turmeric powder, lemon juice, and warm water well to create a thick paste.
- Then, you apply the paste onto the sprained ankle.
- Next, you also wrap it with the bandage.
- Now, you leave it on for 9 to 10 hours and you may do again every 10 hours.
- You should continue repeating this treatment for one week.
Way 3: Turmeric powder, water, and limestone powder
- Turmeric powder – 1 tablespoon
- Limestone powder – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 1 tablespoon
- A bandage
- Firstly, you mix turmeric powder, water, and limestone powder well to create a thick paste.
- Then, you heat the paste for a few minutes.
- Next, you apply it onto the affected area before you go to bed.
- Now, you wrap it with the bandage.
- After that, you leave it on for overnight.
- Finally, you remove the bandage in the next morning.
- You may do this way for 2 or 3 days.
- In the case of immense pain, you can add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder into one glass of warm milk. Then, you stir them well and drink this for two times daily for one week.
Read more: Health advantages of turmeric for humans
2. Ice Cubes
Seeking natural ways on how to treat sprained ankle fast at home, using an ice cube is the best choice for you. It can greatly help to reduce the swelling, pain, and inflammation. In addition, ice protects your ligaments from becoming inflamed as well as stops the bleeding from any torn ligament. You should apply ice cubes over the affected areas for the first 2 to 3 days after the injury.
- Ice cubes – 1 cup
- A towel
- Firstly, you wrap these ice cubes in the towel.
- Then, you apply the compress onto the injured area for 20 to 25 min.
- You may repeat the same process every 2 to 3 hours.
- If ice isn’t readily available, you may use one frozen package of vegetables.
Precaution: You do not put these ice cubes directly against your skin because it can cause damage to your skin.
3. Arnica, Coconut Oil, Peppermint Oil, And Lavender Oil
Arnica is extensively used for healing as well as strengthening your joints and muscles. In addition, it is also an excellent anti-inflammatory property that can aid in reducing the swelling, inflammation, and pain. Besides, arnica increases circulation and assist you in preventing bruises in the injured area.
Here are two ways on how to treat sprained ankle using arnica along with other ingredients that you should follow.
Way 1: Arnica oil
- Arnica oil – 1 teaspoon
- A bandage
- Firstly, you apply arnica oil in diluted form to the affected area.
- Then, you gently massage it.
- Next, you wrap the bandage over this area.
- Now, you leave it on for 5 to 6 hours.
- Finally, you remove this bandage and repeat the same process again after several hours.
- You may do this way for a few days till your ankle is healed completely.
- Or, you may apply arnica ointment or balm as a compress or cream for two or three times per day.
Precaution: Some people who are sensitive to arnica try a test before using it onto the affected area. In addition, you do not apply arnica when your skin has open cuts.
Way 2: Arnica montana flowers, coconut oil, peppermint oil, and lavender oil
- Dried arnica montana flowers – 2 cups
- Beeswax granules – ½ cup
- Coconut oil – 2 cups
- Peppermint oil – ¼ teaspoon
- Lavender oil – ¼ teaspoon
- A double boiler
- A cheesecloth
- A mason jar
- Firstly, you crush the arnica flowers finely with your hands.
- Then, you place the herb into the double boiler and pour coconut oil into this boiler to cover the herb completely.
- Next, you cover and let it infuse on low for 12 to 24 hours. You can stir them between a few times. Ensure that these flowers remain submerged into this oil and it doesn’t get too hot.
- After that, you put off your instrument and let this mixture cool down for 1 hour.
- While this coconut oil is in liquid form, you place this cheesecloth over this jar and pour the mixture over it.
- Then, you pour the infused oil again in the double boiler and you set it to low or medium heat.
- Now, you add the beeswax and then whisk them until the beeswax is dissolved.
- Next, you take it out from heat and let it cool down for some time and mix it with lavender oil and peppermint oil.
- Finally, you store the salve in a container whatever you want.
- Now, you can apply it onto the sprained ankle when needed.
To reduce the swelling, you should compress or bandage your sprained ankle as soon as the injury. Compression aids in controlling the pain and preventing further injury. To do compression, you may use elastic, bandages, special boots, or tape.
Here is the detail about how to treat sprained ankle using compression that you should try!
- An elastic bandage
- Firstly, you can buy an elastic bandage at a pharmacy.
- Then, you wrap this bandage from the toes to the mid-calf, using a little pressure. You shouldn’t wrap it too tightly because it may restrict blood flow.
- Now, you keep the bandage on throughout the day till the swelling is reduced.
- Finally, you remove this bandage before going to sleep.
Note: You have to remove this bandage immediately if your affected area begins to feel numb or turns blue.
Learn more: The book of H.E.M ankle rehab system
5. Sweet Marjoram Oil
Being extracted from Origanum marjorana, sweet marjoram oil contains many therapeutic properties such as analgesic, antiseptic, antiviral, antispasmodic, antifungal, and antibacterial properties that can help you to reduce the swelling and pain of sprained ankle. Thanks to its pain killing properties and muscle relaxant, sweet marjoram oil is used widely to treat strains and rheumatic pains to reduce the swollen joints as well as painful muscles.
- Sweet marjoram oil – a few drops
- Cold water
- A foot basin
- At first, you add the sweet marjoram oil into the foot basin filled with cold water.
- Then, you soak a towel into this water.
- Next, you wring out the towel to remove the excess water.
- Finally, you place this towel to the sprained ankle.
- You may follow this way when needed.
6. Garlic, Coconut Oil, And Almond Oil
Garlic is one of other effective ways on how to treat sprained ankle that you should try. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory agents, garlic may help you to reduce the pain and inflammation. In addition, its healing properties along with its ability to raise the strength and energy of your body will accelerate the healing process.
Way 1: Garlic juice and coconut oil
- Garlic juice – 1 tablespoon
- Warm coconut oil – 2 tablespoons
- At first, you mix the garlic juice and warm coconut oil thoroughly.
- Then, you gently rub this mixture on the affected area.
- Next, you keep it on for 30 minutes.
- Finally, you wash the area with warm water.
- You can use this simple way for three or four times per day for a few days.
Way 2: Garlic oil and almond oil
- Garlic oil – 1 teaspoon
- Almond oil – 1 teaspoon
- At first, you mix the garlic oil and almond oil together.
- Then, you massage your affected area with this mixture.
- You may do this process daily for 2 or 3 times a day. This remedy may also be used for curing arthritis and rheumatism.
7. White Willow Bark And Grain Alcohol
White willow bark is a natural pain relieving herb that contains salicin. Salicin is converted into salicylic acid when it enters your body. In fact, salicylic acid is a natural compound that can relieve the inflammation and pain. Salicylic acid works as an active ingredient of aspirin known as acetylsalicylic acid. Moreover, the inner bark of white willows contains compounds which are called phenolic glycoside esters. Once you consume the bark internally, your intestine’s microorganisms will transform these compounds into saligenin. And then, saligenin is oxidized in your liver and blood, which produces salicylic acid. Salicylic acid can reduce the pain by inhibiting the prostaglandins synthesis in your sensory nerves. Therefore, you may take white willow bark tincture or tea to relieve the pain caused by your sprained ankle. This is another way that you should not pass if you really want to learn how to treat sprained ankle fast at home.
- 1/5 part of white willow bark
- 4/5 parts of grain alcohol
- A cheesecloth
- A quart jar with a lid
- A dark bottles
- At first, you place the white willow bark into this jar.
- Then, you fill this jar to its top with the grain alcohol.
- Next, you shake them well and place this jar in a dark and cool place for 2 to 3 months.
- After that, you strain it by using the cheesecloth.
- Next, you pour it into the dark bottles to store and label them well.
- Then, you store these bottles in a dark place away from the sun but don’t place them in your refrigerator.
- When you want to use it, you take 30 to 60 drops in a glass.
- Then, you dilute these tincture drops with clean water and consume it.
- You may have it for 3 to 4 times per day.
Precaution: In fact, white willow bark may thin blood. Therefore, if you’re taking blood thinners, you do not use the herb. Moreover, you do not give the herb to your children.
8. Epsom Salt And Water
Epsom salt is another popular way on how to treat sprained ankle fast at home hat you should not skip. The magnesium sulfate in it is highly effective in soothing your sore muscles as well as calming nearby nerves. You can buy Epsom salt at most discount stores or drug stores.
- Epsom salt – 1 cup
- Warm water
- Firstly, you pour Epsom salt into the bath filled with warm water.
- Then, you stir them with your hand so that the salt dissolves in the water.
- Now, you soak the sprained ankle into this water for about 30 min.
- You may do this way for two times daily for 3 to 4 days.
9. Lemongrass Oil And Olive Oil
Lemongrass essential oil contains analgesic, antiseptic, antibacterial, fungicidal, astringent, and many other properties. It can help you to relieve the pain in your joints and muscles. It has a useful property that can regenerate ligaments and connective tissues and thus is an excellent way on how to treat sprained ankle at home. In addition, its antiseptic properties can also heal wounds effectively. It also contains astringent properties that will help to stop the bleeding from your wounds. Besides, astringents may constrict blood vessels that reduce the flow of blood. Nevertheless, you have to dilute it with a little carrier oil before applying onto the sprained areas otherwise it can cause rashes in a few people with sensitive skin.
- Olive oil – 4 parts
- Lemongrass oil – 1 part
- Firstly, you mix lemongrass oil with olive oil well.
- Then, you apply this mixture to your sprained ankle.
- Next, you rub it gently for a few minutes.
- You may repeat this simple way for 3 to 4 times per day.
10. Rosemary Leaves And Grain Alcohol
Rosemary herb contains excellent anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants that can help you get rid of sprained ankle. When the body tissues are damaged, the white blood cells will produce chemicals to remove the damage and there will be an increased blood flow to the damaged area. Certain fluids will also rush to this affected area. This results in the swelling and redness. A tincture that is made from rosemary leaves may be topically applied onto your sprained ankle. This is one of other simple ways on how to treat sprained ankle fast at home.
- Grain alcohol
- Rosemary leaves
- A jar
- Dark glass bottles
- A cheesecloth
- Firstly, you chop enough rosemary leaves finely to almost fill up the jar.
- Then, you place the chopped leaves into the jar.
- Next, you top it with the grain alcohol.
- Now, you cover this jar with its lid and place it in a dark place for 4 to 6 weeks.
- After that, you strain the herb by using the cheesecloth.
- Then, you store the rosemary leaves tincture in these dark bottles.
- You may apply this tincture onto your sprained ankle whenever needed.
Read more: Health and beauty advantages of olive oil
11. Castor Oil
Using castor oil is another effective way for you if you are finding how to treat sprained ankle at home. Being a triglyceride, castor oil mainly includes ricinoleic acid that contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- Castor oil – a bowl
- A cotton cloth
- A hot water bottle
- At first, you fold the cotton cloth a few times to create a pad and then dip the pad into the bowl of castor oil.
- Next, you place the pad onto the affected area and you secure it with a few layers of plastic wrap.
- Now, you place the hot water bottle over this castor oil pack for 30 minutes.
- After that, you keep the sprained ankle area in a raised position for several minutes.
- Next, you remove the pack.
- Finally, you massage the rest of oil into your skin.
- You may repeat this treatment for 2 or 3 times daily for 2 days.
12. White Fir Essential Oil
Apart from being a very powerful antioxidant thanks to its d-limonene content, white fir oil is also a strong anti-inflammatory. Moreover, it is widely and successfully used for tired and sore joints as well as muscles, especially for the pains caused by the swelling.
You may try the following way that will explain you on how to treat sprained ankle at home with white fir oil.
- 1 part of white fir oil
- 1 part of any vegetable oil
- At first, you mix both the oils together.
- Then, you pour a few drops of the oil mixture onto your affected area.
- Finally, you rub gently for a few minutes.
- You may repeat this method for 2 to 4 times a day.
13. Onion And Salt
Onion is usually used as one of the best ways on how to treat sprained ankles as well as jammed fingers, arthritis, and rheumatism thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. In addition, onion can also help to reduce the swelling, inflammation, and pain.
Way 1: Onion
- 1 large onion
- A muslin cloth
- A rubber band
- At first, you chop this onion into small pieces.
- Then, you put these pieces in the muslin cloth and you tie it with the rubber band.
- Next, you place this muslin cloth on your sprained area for two hours. If needed, you can also secure this cloth with a tape.
- You may repeat this way when needed to reduce the symptoms of this problem.
Way 2: Onion and salt
- An onion
- Salt – a good amount
- An elastic bandage
- Firstly, you chill this onion in your refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Then, you cut it into small pieces and mix these pieces with salt.
- Now, you apply the mixture onto the swollen ankle.
- Finally, you wrap it with the elastic bandage. You should apply a new compress every 7 to 8 hours.
- You may do this way for 1 to 2 days depending on your recovery rate.
14. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum contains anti-hematomatic (which can prevent blood clots), tissue regenerative, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. Thanks to all its properties, this oil can act against the secondary damage caused by the free radicals, which reduce the pressure of tissues, reduce the pain, and regenerate new tissues.
- Helichrysum oil
- Firstly, you take helichrysum oil.
- Then, you apply this oil directly onto your injured area.
- You may do this process for 1 to 2 times a day.
- Or, you may also mix it with some oils such as rosehip seed oil or hazelnut oil and then apply it to the affected area.
Cabbage’s anti-inflammatory properties make it become a good topical way on how to treat sprained ankle fast at home. Cabbage compresses are usually used to decrease the swelling in your sprains and broken bones. In addition, it is also rich in vitamins and phytonutrients, which can aid in speeding up the healing process.
- A cabbage
- A rolling pin
- A gauze bandage
- A plastic wrap
- Firstly, you eliminate the outer leaves from the cabbage.
- Then, you gently bruise these leaves by using the rolling pin to release the juices.
- Next, you wrap these cabbage leaves in foil to warm them in an oven. These leaves should be warm.
- Now, you put these warm cabbage leaves over your painful area and secure them with the gauze bandage.
- Then, you cover this area with the plastic wrap to keep its warmth.
- Finally, you remove it after half an hour.
- You can follow this way twice daily for 2 days.
16. Ginger And Water
Ginger contains many properties that are very beneficial to overall health. Apart from being a good antioxidant, this spice also contains excellent anti-inflammatory properties called gingerols that are so effective in reducing the pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis. You may make a ginger compress and use as another effective way on how to treat sprained ankle at home. However, remember that you do it only after two to three days of having the injured leg because warm compresses can harm you if you do it immediately after getting a sprain. Instead, you should use ice and cold compresses.
Way 1: Fresh ginger root and water
- Fresh ginger root – a 3-inch piece
- Water – 7 to 8 cups
- A pot
- A washcloth
- Firstly, you slice the ginger root.
- Then, you place these sliced ginger pieces into the pot.
- Next, you pour this water over them.
- Now, you let it boil for 6 to 7 minutes and then allow it to get cool until it becomes warm.
- Next, you soak the washcloth into this warm ginger water.
- Finally, you wrap it on the ankle and keep the water warm. Hot water can damage tissues as well as irritate your skin.
Way 2: Dry ginger powder and water
- Dry ginger powder – 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Water – enough to create a paste
- A bandage
- Firstly, you add water to ginger powder to make a smooth paste.
- Then, you apply this paste to the swollen ankle.
- Next, you use the bandage to make the paste be on place and leave it on for 6 to 7 hours.
- Finally, you wash this area thoroughly with clean water.
- You may repeat it again if needed. You can also apply it at night before you go to bed.
Learn more: Health advantages of fresh ginger juice
17. Olive Oil And Egg Yolk
Using olive oil is a useful way on how to treat sprained ankle at home that you should not pass. The certain phenolic compound present in olive oil can help to alleviate inflammation caused by a sprained ankle. In addition, olive oil contains healing properties that will aid in speeding recovery.
Way 1: Olive oil
- Olive oil – 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Firstly, you heat the olive oil.
- Then, you let it get cool for some time.
- After that, you apply the warm oil onto the affected area.
- Now, you gently massage for a few minutes. This relaxes the muscle and relieves the pain.
- You can do this way three or four times per day for several days.
Way 2: Olive oil and egg yolk
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Egg yolk – 1
- A cotton pad
- At first, you add olive oil to egg yolk.
- Then, you mix them well.
- After that, you apply this mixture onto the affected area.
- Finally, you cover it with the cotton pad and keep it bandaged for 2 days.
- You may repeat the process for several days.
18. Essential Oils
There are various essential oils containing a variety of properties that can soothe your swelling and pain. While you may always use 1 or 2 oils to relieve the discomforts, blending some anti-inflammatory, rejuvenating, and pain-relieving essential oils will speed up your recovery as well as heal the sprained ankle fast. Here are some useful suggestions for you to mix various essential oils.
An oil mixture 1:
These oils are effective in reducing the swelling and redness caused by the inflammation.
- Lavender oil
- Clove oil
- German chamomile oil
An oil mixture 2:
These oils will give you an immediate relief from the pain by inhibiting the sensory receptors in your brain. They inhibit prostagladins, which will send the pain signals to your brain.
- Wintergreen oil
- Frankincense oil
- Peppermint oil
- Ginger oil
- Clove bud oil
- To use these oil mixtures, you take 1 to 3 drops of the above oils.
- Then, you mix them well with a kind of carrier oil. You take 1 to 2 teaspoons of carrier oils such as olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, or jojoba oil.
- Now, you gently massage the sprained ankle with the oil mixture for a few minutes.
- You may repeat it 1 to 3 times per day.
19. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera contains excellent healing and anti-inflammatory properties, which can reduce the swelling as well as joint pain, the soreness of muscles, strains, sprains, bruises, tendonitis, itching, and sunburn etc. in addition, aloe vera also contains analgesic properties, eases pain, and promotes the repair of your damaged tissues.
- An aloe vera leaf
- A gauze or towel
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Glycerin (optional)
- Firstly, you cut the aloe leaf to extract its gel.
- Then, you soak the gauze into this gel.
- Next, you wrap the gauze onto your sprained ankle.
- You may even use the ice cubes along with aloe gel.
- In this choice, you may soak the towel into the aloe gel and place these ice cubes in this towel. Now, you use this pack onto your ankle.
- When the gauze or towel becomes dry, you soak it again in the aloe gel and reapply.
- You should do this process for about 30 to 60 minutes.
- You may also apply aloe gel directly onto the affected area.
- For this case, if the aloe gel is too thin or it can run off your skin, you may add a little glycerin to make it thicker.
Along with these ways, you should rest your sprained ankle for several days. Putting tension on a sprained ankle can delay the healing process as well as cause further injury.
If you want to know more about natural ways on how to deal with many other diseases and conditions related to your skin and health, go to our main How to page. After reading the article of top 26 natural ways on how to treat sprained ankle fast at home, hope that you can find out the best solutions to treat your sprained ankle at home in the shortest time possible. Nevertheless, the article is only for the informational purpose, thus, you should meet your doctor to get advice before applying any natural way. If you have any question, or you know other ways on how to treat sprained ankle, please leave them below.