Athletes are susceptible to a multitude of skin infections. This can be attributed partly to their lifestyle and partly to the place they train everyday. These skin infections can be acquired from other people around. This makes hygiene extremely important. Apart from maintaining hygiene, early identification and healing is a must. Since natural methods are the safest, one must go for them. Below are some natural cures for skin infections faced by athletes on Vkool.
Top 5 Natural Cures For Skin Infections Among Athletes
1. Tea Tree Oil
The oil derived from tea tree oil tree Melaleuca alternifolia is rich in antifungal compounds making it an excellent healing agent for fungal infections. This is how one can curb the spread with tea tree oil:
- Take 3 parts tea tree oil and one part aloe vera gel. Mix them well. Apply twice daily.
- Take equal amounts of pure tea tree oil and an essential oil like olive oil or almond oil. Dab it on the affected skin as many times as you can.
- Bathing with tea tree oil body soap daily helps in preventing fungal infections.
Garlic has antifungal properties besides antibacterial and antibiotic properties. Use it to cure fungal infections in the following manner:
- Add garlic cloves to your food for quick healing.
- Garlic supplements can also be taken.
- Make a paste of crushed garlic cloves and olive oil. Smear this paste evenly on the infected skin part and let it remain there for a minimum of 30 minutes. Rinse it with luke warm water and pat dry. Follow this two times a day till infection is not healed completed.
3. Coconut Oil
The fatty acids in coconut oil make it an ideal choice among natural cures for skin infections. Use them as described below:
- An equal amount of coconut oil and cinnamon oil when applied on the skin twice in a day can check the growth and spread of fungal skin infections.
- Massage virgin coconut oil on the infected skin and let it dry. Repeat this activity 2-3 times in a day.
- Alternatively, use a natural homemade soap like tea tree oil soap. It contains coconut oil as well making it a lethal weapon against the skin infections.
Tannins present in tea are helpful in killing fungi. The astringent properties of tea help in curing the annoying symptoms of fungal skin infections such as swelling, burning sensation and irritation. To get relief, do as mentioned below:
- For Athletes Foot or toenail fungus, soak five bags in four cups of water for about four minutes. Remove the tea bags and allow the water to cool down. Then soak feet in the water for 25-30 minutes. This must be repeated twice every day for four to five weeks depending on the healing received.
- Another remedy using tea bags is – steep some tea bags in warm water for 10 minutes or so. Remove and let the bags cool down in the refrigerator. Put these tea bags on the affected skin. You must do this at least thrice daily.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is good for fungal infections due to the presence of antimicrobial compounds in it. The acidic nature prevents spread of the infection. The method to use it is simple:
- Make a dilution of equal amount of water and apple cider vinegar and then apply it on the skin. Let it stay for 30 minutes. If possible, soak the infected part in the dilution. Dry it in the air.
- Add one cup of water and two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Drink two times every day.
Use these methods, especially the use of tea tree oil soap as it protects your skin from the vulnerable environmental microbes and experience the liberation from the nasty skin infections.
Guest post is by:
James Brown is a fitness coach and health writer based in Boston, MA. His passion is to encourage others to rediscover their lifestyle and get inspired for organic living. You can get in touch with James at jamesubrown1[at]gmail dot com.