The violin is undoubtedly one of the most sought-after musical instruments of all time. However, those who are looking out for violin tips need to understand that mastering this instrument is the toughest. If you follow some easy violin tips, you can certainly build a good foundation which would help you in advancing all aspects of the violin. In this article, I will provide top 21 tips on learning to play the violin that will help you go from a violin beginner to a skilled and budding violinist.
Here are some of the helpful things you will find about tips on learning to play the violin:
I. Learning To Play The Violin – 4 Fundamental Tips On Using Violin
1. The first step for those who want to play Violin is buying this instrument for themselves. There are many factors that you need to consider when buying Violin.
- Its flexibility. If you want to have fuller and smoother sound, then you need to look for the bow with more flexibility.
- Its material. It is also the important thing that decides the quality of the instrument. Some of the best bow is made from a wood which is named Pernambuco. This kind of wood is totally durable and will not lose the curve over time. However, if you have just started, then I recommend you should choose the bow made from Brazil wood or Fiberglass because they are not too expensive.
- Weight. The weight of the instrument also needs to be considered. If you use a heavy Violin, you will strain when playing. Therefore, it is better if you look for a lightweight bow. The ideal weight is about from 54 to 64 grams. Make sure that the weight is distributed evenly over the Violin.
- Hair. The hair of a Violin also plays an important role in deciding its quality. You had better look for a bow that uses white horse hair because it is the best for Violin hair. As normal, the hair is going to stretch over the time; therefore, you need to seek for the Violin bows that have been re-haired so far.
- Balance. Looking for a bow design that is balanced well is another factor in buying Violin. You should not choose the bow that is too light at the tip or too heavy near the frog because this will make you more difficult to control the bow.
2. An important factor when you start to learn to play Violin is learning how to hold the instrument properly. By “posture and form”, I mean the way you hold the violin and the bow when you play. It is very easy to do properly if you pay attention to a couple small details. This is also easily to do wrong if you have not been taught the right way. If you are a newbie, just spend the first 5 minutes of each practice session on working on getting perfect position and forming right bow holds.
Begin with your legs comfortably spread at about shoulder width apart. So, first and foremost, you start picking the Violin up by your neck with the F holes facing away from you. By this way, you just see the back of the Violin. Then, place your Violin on the left-hand shoulder, and your jaw on the chinrest. Keep the instrument high enough that you will be able to reach the tip of the bow and that it will remain balanced. If you do properly, you will let go of the Violin with your hands and it will stay there firmly.
3. As a beginner of playing Violin, you also need to know the pitch range of your instrument. This is definitely important because when playing the violin, if you do not know how to tune your own instrument, your notes when playing will be sound flat and the instrument will sound out of tune. Basically, the the pitch range of this instrument is from G3 that is G below middle C to C8, that is the highest note on the modern piano. You are able to tune the Violin by the pegs where the scroll is or you can make smaller pitch adjustments by using the fine tuners which is near the place your chin rests.
4. The instrument is also considered as a friend of an instrumentalist. That means you should choose the right one for you which is fit and suitable for you. You cannot play it well and get the right sounds if it is not fit to you. You have to get the right size Violin that is suitable for you. So, the sizes from smallest to largest are 1/32, 1/16, 1/10, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and finally the full size violin.
If you are a person, who is interested in various kind of instrument, then you can refer simple tips to an electric guitar with tearing it up learn heavy guitar to broaden your guitar skills, and get to know more guitar playing exercises, professional guitar techniques, advanced guitar tutorials with the ultimate shred guitar course.
II. Learning To Play The Violin – Tips On Care And Maintenance
If you are a person who has just make acquaintance with violin, then I will reveal some tips for the proper maintenance and care of your violin:
1. Do not repair your instrument at home because this can lead to some false which destroy the value of your violin. It is strongly recommended that your instrument needs to be repaired by a professional.
2. It is necessary for you to tighten the violin bow before playing it. To do this, you just need to turn the tension screw gently. And, you should pay attention to the separation between hair and the bow stick – this should be about the width of a pencil.
3. You had better keep your instrument away from radiators. The violin will be protected the best if it is kept in a humidified environment in the winter. Remember that dryness could cause cracks.
4. Another advice for caring your violin is that you absolutely do not leave your instrument in the trunk of the car. Varnish or glue on violin may be melted off or dissolved in heat; thus, your instrument might be vulnerable to open seams.
5. After playing the violin, just clean your instrument with a soft and lint-free cloth for removing dust, oil, or rosin building up on the strings strings, or sweat on your instrument.
6. Good storage. When you are not using the violin, put it inside a good quality case to guarantee protection.
7. You absolutely should not place objects other than a thin rag or cover over the bridge if you want to close the case, and be sure that the instrument fits snugly inside the case. Do not force the case when it is hard to close, and never spare strings, store music, or other things in the same compartment.
8. Always check that your case is fully latched and zippered before you pick it up.
9. Maintain a moderately constant humidity year-round. It is proven that the ideal humidity for the violin and other instruments is about from 30 to 40% in most regions.
10. Change your strings every 12 months in order to make sure your violin will play with its full potential. You can do this by yourself, although you should get an experienced violinist friend helping you do this at the first time.
11. Ensure that when you have finished replacing the string its fine tuner is neither too loose nor too tight. You need to be able to loosen and tighten the fine tuner.
12. Periodically test the bridge for its straightness. A warped bridge might eventually fall over and/or crack.
13. If you find it is necessary to change an entire set of strings, do not eliminate all of old ones at once. This can make you lose the proper placemen of the bridge and the lack of tension might cause the soundpost to fall down.
14. If you use a shoulder rest, then before closing the instrument case, you have to make sure that you has removed it already. If you force the case closed, this can lead to the damage of your violin or viola.
15. In crowd situations, protect your instrument carefully to make sure that it will not be sat on, stepped on, or tripped over. Cellos which are in soft cases are prone to be vulnerable.
16. Always loosen your bow after use, to prolong the life of the rehair and the stick. Never force a screw which has frozen up. We can adjust bow screws for optimal performance. And never use soap because it attracts rust and water, and do not use petroleum products because they can penetrate the bow wood.
17. Label the instrument case with your name, phone number, and address just in case.
Well, the process of learning to play the violin might require from you much effort, time as well as patience. I hope that the tips on learning to play the violin introduced in this article will be helpful to you.
If you are interested in the article, we are open to welcome any discussion or debate about this topic. Leave your comments at the end of this post to let us know what you think. We appreciate your contribution and will answer all as soon as possible