We often mistakenly call yellow jackets as bees because of the striking similarity in their appearance and size. But actually, yellow jackets are wasps which have yellow and black stripes on their body.
In fact, these small insects are commonly seen to find food and do not sting if they are not physically threatened. Unless they feel that their nest is safely protected, they will start to defend it and in this case, they can attack those around them.
The sting of this yellow jacket is very painful, and each of these yellow jackets may deliver several stings.
Top 10 Natural Tips Of Home Treatment For Yellow Jacket Sting Swelling
If you have a mild sting, it can lead to pain, swelling, redness, itching, and inflammation in your affected skin area. You may treat such minor cases at home with applying basic first aid along with simple kitchen ingredients.
Nevertheless, in some individuals, yellow jacket stings can also cause severe allergic reactions, causing symptoms such as slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, confusion, difficulty breathing, and weakness, tightness in their chest, fainting, vomiting, and swelling of their tongue.
If you suffer from any of these signs, you should immediately seek a medical attention.
With fast treatment, the signs of mild stings will have a tendency to ease within 2 to 3 days. Before you apply any treatment, you should ensure that you remove the stinger out of your skin.
If the stinger is stuck in your skin, you should use a pair of tweezers or blunt knife to scrape it away and rinse the affected area with soap and clean water.
Avoid squeezing the stinger out because it will release much more venom into the body and thereby making the condition get worse. After that, you can try using some natural treatments to get a quick relief from this problem. Today, in this writing, VKool.com will provide you with a valuable source of information about top 10 natural tips of home treatment for yellow jacket sting swelling without any side effect. This writing shows you a list of 10 natural and effective tips to deal with yellow jacket sting with using natural ingredients from reliable sources. However, this is only for the informational purpose. You’d better not apply without the doctor’s instruction. Keep reading this writing to find the one which is right for you!
1. Cold Compresses
This is the first treatment for yellow jacket sting you have to do after being stung by it. To ease itching and pain, you may apply cold compresses directly on your bitten area before putting anything else on it. Cold compress will ease inflammation and swelling by numbing your nerves. Click To Tweet
- To apply it, you simply putt some ice cubes in a bowl containing cold water.
- Next, soak a cotton ball or cloth in it.
- You wring out the water and put the ball or cloth directly on your bitten area.
- Leave it aside for about 10 minutes.
- You should do this again for 3 or 4 times or more within the first 24 hours if needed.
- You may also prepare a bottle of cold water and then apply it on your affected area.
Note: Remember not to put ice cubes directly on your skin because it may cause frostbite.
2. Baking Soda
This is the first treatment for yellow jacket sting I want to introduce to you. Baking soda contains alkaline nature which is very beneficial in neutralizing the sting. This ingredient provides you an instant relief from itching and pain. In addition, it is also known as an anti-inflammatory agent helping to ease inflammation, swelling, and redness.
- Firstly mix a teaspoon of baking soda well with enough water and stir well until you have a paste.
- Then you rub this paste directly to your bitten skin area for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After that, wash it off with warm water and repeat this for 3 or 4 times per day or when you need.
3. Honey And Turmeric
Honey is also another great treatment for yellow jacket sting, which provides you with an instant relief from the signs of being stung by this insect. The enzymes contained in honey also help in neutralizing the venom at the bitten skin. This will reduce the itching and pain within several minutes. In addition, it contains antibacterial properties preventing infection. Besides, honey also acts well for hornet and wasp stings.
- Just spread generously pure and raw honey on your bitten area.
- Allow it to sit on their skin for about 30 to 45 minutes or till the honey becomes dry out.
- Use warm water to wash off and apply it as a honey lotion for a few times every day within some days.
- Another option is to add honey in a teaspoon of turmeric and mix well to get a paste.
- Apply this on your affected area and let it dry naturally.
- Use lukewarm water to rinse off and do it again for several times per day within 2 days.
4. Activated Charcoal
This activated charcoal may help you a lot when being stung by this insect. Activated charcoal has innate absorption property helping to eliminate toxic substances from your body. When you use it immediately, it will keep swelling and pain at bay.
- Ordinarily, you just rub a wet charcoal tablet till it is black.
- Apply this on the bitten skin area for a few hours.
- Replace it with another new one whenever you need.
- Or you empty 2 or 3 capsule contents of charcoal into 1 small bowl.
- Mix them well with a little water to get a paste.
- Apply this paste directly on your affected area for 2 or 4 hours.
- Wash off with water and repeat if you need.
- You may also take some capsules of activated charcoal after consulting your doctor.
Keep reading to get more tips about home treatment for yellow jacket sting!
Aspirin is also a very beneficial treatment for yellow jacket sting. It assists in neutralizing the venom to get a quick recovery from this condition and symptoms. Besides, aspirin also contains anti-inflammatory properties, helping to control swelling and pain.
- Now, you crush 3 or 4 regular aspirins until they form a powder.
- Mix this powder well with a little water to get a thin paste.
- Apply this paste directly it on your affected skin area and let it dry naturally.
- Use lukewarm water to rinse off and do this again as needed.
6. White Toothpaste
White toothpaste is not only used to brush your teeth but also is an effective treatment for yellow jacket sting. It helps you to balance the acidic venom, which will provide you with a quick relief from swelling and pain caused by this problem.
- You simply dab a bit white toothpaste directly on your affected area.
- Let it sit for some hours and then wash it off with plain water.
- Keep repeating when you need.
Note: Avoid using whitening, colored, or gel toothpaste.
Because ammonia is known as an alkaline in nature, it can counteract the acidic toxins contained in insect venom and thereby relieving your condition. It also has the ability to help you get rid of the stinging sensation and ease itching and pain.
- You just soak a cotton cloth/ball in household ammonia.
- Then you dab this wet cloth/ball in your affected skin area.
- You should repeat this process whenever you need.
Note: Carry a patch test to ensure if you have any type of reaction before using ammonia.
Another treatment for yellow jacket sting is to use onion. Onions can help you in reducing swelling as well as soothing the itching, which caused by yellow jackets. In addition, the strong smell of onion will repel insects as well as protect you from being stung again.
- Firstly, you cut an onion into pieces and rub these onion slices directly your bitten area for several minutes.
- Allow this juice to sit on there for a few 15 minutes and rinse off with clean water.
- Or you may put an onion slice on your affected skin area and use gauze to wrap it and keep it in place.
- Let it aside for about 30 minutes and then take it out of your skin.
- Wash with warm water and reapply if you need.
Many health experts often recommend that using the leaves of plantain is very beneficial in treating yellow jacket sting signs. Thanks to the healing properties contained in them along with the anti-inflammatory nature, plantain leaves will help you in reducing pain, itching, and swelling. Besides, these leaves also contain antibacterial property, reducing the chance of getting an infection which inhibits the healing process.
- You just use your hands to crush a handful of plantain leaves gently and you can extract the plantain juice.
- Then you apply this plantain juice directly on your affected skin area.
- Let it dry naturally and then clean it with lukewarm water.
- You should apply this process for 2 or 3 times every day until you feel better.
- You may also apply the plantain ointment directly on the bitten area for several times per day to stimulate the quick recovery.
Both apple cider vinegar and white vinegar act as effective treatments for insect stings and bites. The acetic acid content in vinegar contains anti-inflammatory properties, helping you a lot in reducing inflammation and swelling. Plus, it also aids in neutralizing the acid in the yellow jacket venom and thereby relieving itching and pain.
- Now, you soak a cotton cloth/ball in raw and unfiltered white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Then you hold this cotton cloth/ball directly over your affected skin area for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Besides that, you can mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar well with a little commercial meat tenderizer and stir them well make a fine paste.
- Next, you apply this vinegar paste on the bitten skin area for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Use lukewarm water to clean the skin and repeat as needed.
Treatment For Yellow Jacket Sting – Additional Tips
- When you are stung by yellow jackets, you should move immediately to a safer place to keep more stings at bay.
- When it lands on you, you’d better keep calm and then carefully remove it or wait until it flies away. Do not tug, pull or shake because it will only make the yellow jacket more aggressive.
- You may tend to smash the yellow jackets to remove them away but you should not do this. When they are crushed, these small insects will release a pheromone signaling others nearby to attack you.
- During the summer, always keep your drinks and food covered well because sweet drinks and foods will attract yellow jackets.
- In addition, always keep the trash get covered every time.
- Avoid scratching the itchy sting area because it can make your skin get infected by bacteria.
To get more information about various health conditions, go to visit our main Health page. After reading the writing of 10 natural tips of home treatment for yellow jacket sting swelling, hope that you can learn more some simple and easy ways to heal yellow jacket sting. All these remedies are natural, effective, and safe for treating this condition. But you do not forget to try these remedies only after you carry out a small test, check your reaction. If you have any question, please freely leave them below, I will answer you soon. Also, if you know other tips of home treatment for yellow jacket sting swelling, please share them with us.
Related links: How to treat bee stings naturally at home
Recommended link: 12 Home remedies for ant bites swelling and itching