A hiatal hernia is known as a problem occurring when a small part of your stomach sticks out through an opening in your diaphragm into your chest cavity.
Hiatal hernias commonly occur in people after the age of 50 and having obesity. Until now, experts have not found out the exact reason causing hiatal hernias; however, weak supportive tissues may be considered as the leading factor.
In addition, there are various factors contributing to aggravate you condition such as pressure on your stomach and nearby muscles, and changes in your diaphragm related to age.
Plus, lifting heavy objects, wrong posture while sitting, excessive smoking, obesity, and stress in life may put you at risk of hiatal hernias.
Apart from medicines, you can change your lifestyle and diet as well as apply simple homemade treatments for hiatal hernia pain to help in relieving its symptoms. If you suffer from a small hiatal hernia, it hardly causes any sign or symptom. Nevertheless, a large hiatal hernia may lead to various symptoms such as chest pain, heartburn, abdominal pain, difficulty swallowing, frequent belching, fatigue, and feeling full after meals. In some case, you may have a surgery. Today, VKool page will introduce to you top 10 natural treatments for hiatal hernia pain. This writing will show you 10 natural ways to help in treating hiatal hernia pain by using natural ingredients without leaving any negative effects. Information about all these treatments is collected from reliable sources. Keep reading to find out the way which is right for you!
Top 10 Natural Treatments For Hiatal Hernia Pain You Should Know
1. Self Massage
Self-massage your abdomen commonly targets the uppermost area of the abdominal cavity. This therapy will help you in decreasing the hiatal hernia's symptoms as well as the discomfort caused by it. Besides, it also aids in strengthening your stomach muscles.
- Now, lie on the back and then relax.
- Next, put the fingers just below your sternum (breast bones) where you may find the rib cage.
- Make downward pressure and then move slowly towards the belly button.
- Keep repeating this way for 5 minutes.
- You should do this therapy twice per day when you wake up in the morning and before bedtime at night.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another of top 10 natural treatments for hiatal hernia pain is to use apple cider vinegar (ACV).This vinegar has the ability to ease symptoms such as acidity and heartburn caused by a hiatal hernia. Despite being acidic in nature, ACV can provide your body with an alkaline effect.
- At first, you take 1 or 2 teaspoons of unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar and then put it in 1 glass of lukewarm water.
- You stir them well and sip this mixture slowly before you have your meals.
- Remember to reapply this process whenever you suffer from acidity or heartburn.
Chamomile contains anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it become one of the natural and powerful treatments for hiatal hernias. Chamomile can be beneficial in soothing an aching stomach and treating heartburn as well as relaxing the muscles in your digestive tract.
- First of all, you put 1 teaspoon of chamomile (dried) in a cup and then fill this cup with hot water.
- Next, you cover and let it steep for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- After that, you strain the water and combine it with a bit of honey, depending on your taste.
- Now, you sip the chamomile tea slowly for4 times per day, particularly between your meals.
4. Aloe Vera
This aloe Vera belongs to the list of top natural plants and herbs for treating digestive problems caused due to a hiatal hernia. Aloe Vera is capable of soothing the intestines’ inner lining and reducing abdomen pain. Additionally, this plant can also control heartburn by easing inflammation.
- You simply drink the aloe Vera juice (about 1/4 cup) 20 minutes before you have your meals.
- However, you have to remember not to make the aloe Vera juice with more than two tablespoons ofaloe Vera gel because it will make you suffer from diarrhea.
5. Change Your Diet
When you suffer from hiatal hernias, it is essential to pay attention to your diet. You should remember 2 goals: the first is to avoid foods triggering or making hiatal hernias worse, and the second is to lose weight, which, in turn, reduce the pressure on the stomach.
- Therefore, you should avoid foods causing heartburn such as caffeine, chocolate, garlic, onions, fried foods, spicy foods, tomato-based foods, and citrus fruits.
- Keep following a diet high in vegetables and fruits. You may also consume meats but just a bit.
- You’d better consume healthy fats, such as nuts and olive oil, to help in balancing your diet.
- Besides, you should include much more whole-grain foods in the diet.
Learn more: The 3 week diet system review
If you want to get more information about natural treatments for hiatal hernia, stay with us for our next post!
6. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm is another effective natural treatments for hiatal hernia pain that you can try. It is able to decrease stomach acidity as well as alleviate heartburn. Additionally, slippery elm provides your body with anti-inflammatory and soothing effects.
- First of all, you mix 1 tablespoon of slippery elm bark powder with a cup of boiled water.
- You stir them well and allow this mixture to steep for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Now, you simply consume the mixture twice per day, particularly after you have your meals.
7. Baking Soda
In fact, baking soda is known as a natural antacid. It will help you to quickly relieve heartburn which is the most popular symptom when you suffer from hiatal hernias. Here is an effective method using baking soda for hiatal hernias you can try:
- Firstly, you mix baking soda (1/2 teaspoon) in 1 glass of plain water.
- your stir them well and drink it immediately.
- You can drink this solution whenever you need but avoid consuming it too much.
Note: Remember not to apply this kind of treatments for hiatal hernia pain if you suffer from high blood pressure.
Cinnamon can assist you in calming and soothing your stomach. It has the ability to reduce bloating and abdominal pain, particularly after you have a meal. Plus, cinnamon also acts as an antacid in nature.
- You simply add half a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon to 1 cup of boiled water.
- Then you cover and let the mixture steep for several minutes.
- Next, you drink this cinnamon tea while the water is still warm,
- You should consume this cinnamon tea for 2 or 3 times on a daily basis.
- Additionally, you can add cinnamon in your dishes to stimulate the healing process.
Read more: Health and beauty benefits of cinnamon
Yoga may also reduce pain and get rid of discomfort caused due to hiatal hernias. There are many yoga poses, especially the Chair Pose, can assist you in strengthening your stomach muscles and diaphragm.
- Firstly stand with your arms perpendicular to the floor and back straight. Keep the feet about the width apart of your hip.
- Next, raise the arms straight above the head.
- Bend the body forward to an angle of 45-degree, which brings the chest toward the thighs. Keep the arms out straight, which is aligned with the back, and turn the palms to face with the floor.
- Imagine that you are sitting in a chair and gently bend the knees.
- Press the weight toward your floor and then look forward. You hold this position for several seconds, which takes a few deep breaths.
- After that, press the shoulder blades to the back, followed by lowering the tailbone toward your floor and then draw in the abdomen. Keep holding this position for 30 seconds or more and focus on the breathing.
- Finally, you slowly straighten up.
- You should repeat this cycle several times or more per day.
Note: Do not apply yoga poses putting pressure on your abdomen, such as Bow, Cobra, and Bridge Pose.
10. The Warm Water Fix Treatments For Hiatal Hernia Pain
The first thing you have to do in the morning is to drink warm water and then perform the exercise below to help in bringing down a hernia caused due to the opening in your diaphragm.
After you wake up, immediately drink a cup of slightly warm or room temperature water. This, in turn, helps you in relaxing your diaphragm and stomach muscles as well as putting weight in your stomach.
Then, you stand up, lift the arms straight out from the 2 sides and bend the elbows in order that the hands touch the chest. This step will aid in stretching your diaphragm and opening up the hiatus.
After that, you rise up the toes and drop down quickly onto the heels.
Repeat this circulation many times to help the water's weight pull your stomach down.
Finally, while you stand with the arms up, you take some quick and short breaths with the mouth be opened for 15 seconds, which is very beneficial in tightening your diaphragm and closing the hole.
Note: You should avoid drinking tea, coffee, cold water, and juice in the morning.
Natural Treatments For Hiatal Hernia Pain – Additional Tips:
If you want to get the best results in treating hiatal hernias, you should follow some additional tips below:
- Remember to eat many smaller meals during your day rather than only having some large meals.
- Do not forget to have your dinner before you go to bed at least 2 or 3 hours.
- If you are overweight or have obesity, you should have a plan to lose weight.
- Remember to avoid consuming alcohol completely if you can or limit consuming it.
- You should not smoke cigarettes and use of tobacco products.
- You'd better elevate your bed head about 15 centimeters to get rid of symptoms such as acidity and heartburn. In addition, you may use a wedge pillow to aid in reducing discomfort.
- Avoid lying down or bending right after you have a meal.
- You should walk around your kitchen or dining room for several times after eating.
With top 10 natural treatments for hiatal hernia pain, hope that they can aid you in treating this condition well. However, you should firstly see your doctor to get diagnosed with your problem before applying any treatment. If you want to know more treatments about other health diseases and problems, please visit our Health page. Besides, if you have any question related to hiatal hernias or know other treatments for this, freely share them with us.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- Cancer step outside the box ebook review – does this cure work?
- How to become a better writer for work fast – 12 ways revealed!
- Top 9 causes of high cholesterol in adults
- 10 natural home remedies for genital herpes
- 11 Healthy Drinks Besides Water And Tea
- How to treat eye floaters naturally at home – 6 tips
- How to treat Lyme disease naturally without antibiotics
- Top 10 Tips On How To Treat Jet Lag Symptoms Naturally