A bottle of witch hazel is known as a first aid kit in many households due to its amazing uses. It has a lot of impressive benefits which are proven for health as well as your skin. The ingredients of witch hazel like the bark, twigs, and leaves are usually used in traditional medicine. Furthermore, this herb is a natural astringent, containing an abundance of anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antimicrobial properties. Today, both of the leaves and bark are used to produce witch hazel bark extract, leaf extract, and witch hazel water. These extracts have a plenty of flavonoids, tannins, and volatile oils. These products are also used as an important ingredient in a wide diversity of skin care products available in the market. Let discover top 10 beauty uses for witch hazel with VKool page and you will be surprised to know its benefits for your beauty.
Top 10 Beauty Uses For Witch Hazel You Should Know
1. Removes Blackheads
The first of top 10 uses for witch hazel is to remove blackheads. It contains the tannins which has the ability to remove excessive oil from your skin, thus it can be beneficial in curing blackheads as well as other blemishes.
Moreover, the astringent nature of witch hazel aids in reducing the size of pores and thus minimizing the risk of bacteria, sebum and dead skin cells which result in clogging the pores.
- First of all, you apply directly a couple of drops of witch hazel extract onto the affected skin area.
- Then, you gently massage for several minutes.
- After that, you wash it off completely with clear and cool water.
- You should follow this remedy at least times a day to remove blackheads.
Note: If your skin is sensitive, you can mix water and witch hazel at a ratio of 1:1 before applying it on the affected skin.
2. Controls Excessive Sweating
Controlling excessive sweating is one of the most brilliant uses for witch hazel because it includes the antiperspirant and astringent properties that are able to control excessive sweating, also called as hyperhidrosis. It has the tannic acid which makes constriction of the duct openings and leads to the inhibition of excess sweating. You may apply witch hazel to control excess sweating on your face, palms, feet, and armpits.
- You firstly take a cotton ball and soak it in witch hazel extract along with a sufficient amount of water.
- You gently dab it on the skin areas where you sweat too much.
- You should do this method at least 2 times every day or as needed.
- Alternatively, you can use a cotton ball to apply a small amount of witch hazel extract on the affected skin 2 times a day.
Learn more: Sweaty Palms Program Review
3. Provides Relief from Hemorrhoids
Another of top 10 uses for witch hazel is to aid in treating damaged blood vessels which cause hemorrhoids, primarily due to its anti-inflammatory, astringent and healing properties. Moreover, it is helpful for reducing itching and pain. According to a study published in 2011 revealed that tannins and flavonoids in witch hazel can assist in shrinking the blood vessels, which is reponsible for tightening the skin.
- At first, you mix a teaspoon of dried witch hazel with 1 glass of water and boil this mixture for about 15 minutes.
- Then, you soak a cotton cloth or a cotton ball in it.
- Next, you dab it softly on the hemorrhoids for a few minutes.
- You do this remedy 2 to 3 times every day for a couple of days to get the satisfied results.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a mixture including 1 teaspoon of cocoa butter and 1 teaspoon of witch hazel tincture. Then, you apply it gently on the affected region 3 times a daily for several days.
- You can also replace toilet paper by prepackaged witch hazel pads to use after a bowel movement to prevent the hemorrhoids becoming more irritation.
4. Relieves Itching
There are many amazing uses for witch hazel and relieving itching is one of them. It has this benefit thanks to its anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. You can use with hazel to ease itching and discomfort related to insect bites, stings, diaper rashes and poison ivy.
- Firstly, you add several drops of witch hazel extract in a glass of water.
- You soak a cotton ball in this liquid and apply it softly on your affected area.
- You repeat this solution if needed.
- Another useful option is to use any non prescription witch hazel lotion.
See more: Natural Home Remedies For Anal Itching
5. Treats Canker and Cold Sores
The treatment for canker and cold sores is also known as one of the great uses for witch hazel. It has the ability to remove cold sores as well as canker sores because it aids in drying out the fatty layer of the virus cells which is surface of sores. Hence, it can fight infection and speed up the process of healing. Also, its anti-inflammatory property is useful for reducing the size of the sores and relieve pain and inflammation.
- You make a glass of witch hazel tea and let it cool down for some time.
- You use this solution as a mouthwash 2 to 3 times a day to cure canker sores inside your mouth.
Note: If you suffer from external sores, apply a non prescription cream containing 2% witch hazel extract. You should apply this cream 3 to 4 times a day for a week.
Learn more: Natural Home Remedies For Canker Sores In Mouth
6. Cures Acne
Another of top 10 uses for witch hazel is to treat acne and other skin problems such as psoriasis and eczema at home. Its strong astringent properties can constrict the pores and the blood vessels which are under the surface of your skin.
This shrinking or contraction of your pores is the ability to reduce the size of large pores, thus helping prevent acne. Besides, it is beneficial in curing acne thanks to its antimicrobial properties.
According to a study published in 2014 stated that in 52 products for acne treatment analyzed has commonly the presence of the botanical anti-inflammatories witch hazel and aloe vera. To treat acne by use witch hazel, you should do these steps below:
- You firstly make a mixture including 2 teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of witch hazel.
- Next, you apply this mixture on your affected area.
- You leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes so that the mixture can penetrate deep into your skin.
- Now, you rinse it off with clean water.
- You repeat the solution at least times a daily for several days.
- You can also mix a sufficient amount of witch hazel extract in a tablespoon of clay powder to create a paste.
- You apply it on your affected area and leave it on for about 15 minutes.
- Finally, you wash it off with a damp washcloth.
- You use this paste only a time a day.
Read more: How To Use Egg White For Acne Treatment
7. Soothes Razor Burn
Witch hazel is also used as an aftershave lotion for men if ones suffer from razor burn. It has the anti-inflammatory in nature reducing the burning sensation as well as itching and pain. Moreover, the natural astringent in witch hazel assists in creating a barrier against infection. Thus, soothing razor burn is one of the natural skin care uses for witch hazel.
- You mix about 5 to 6 drops of witch hazel with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Then, you gently dab this mixture on your shaved area.
- You leave it for about 10 minutes and then wash it off with clean water.
- You should do this solution 2 times a day as needed.
- Firstly, you can mix 1 tablespoon of olive oil with a couple of drops of witch hazel.
- You apply it on your affected skin.
- You let it sit for about 15 minutes before washing it off with clean water.
- You repeat as needed.
8. Treats Varicose Veins
Witch hazel is even useful for curing varicose veins. This is really one of the unbelievable uses for witch hazel you have never thought of. It contains the polyphenols helping strengthen blood vessels, which lead to the reduction of the presence of bulging veins. This is one of the most popular symptoms of varicose veins. Besides, its astringent in nature has the ability to reduce the pain as well as the swelling.
- You firstly add about 10 to 15 drops of extract of witch hazel in 1 glass of warm water.
- You soak a soft cloth in this liquid.
- Now, you place it over your affected area and wait for 10 to 15 minutes.
- You follow this solution at least 2 times a day until you notice the satisfied results.
Note: Make sure that you do not apply or massage any kind of pressure on your affected area.
Learn more: Home Remedies For Varicose Veins In Legs
9. Treats Sunburn
One of the wonderful uses for witch hazel is to treat sunburn. This herb is able to soothe and treat sunburn and aids in protecting your skin against the damage which is caused by radiation of ultraviolet A and B (UVA and UVB) from the sun. Furthermore, its anti-inflammatory feature is helpful in reducing skin redness, peeling as well as itchiness.
- You simply dab a small amount of witch hazel on your affected area.
- Then, you let it dry on its own and do this regularly if needed.
- You can also make a mixture with several drops of witch hazel and 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
- Now, you apply this solution on your affected area at least 2 times a day to get the improvement.
10. Treats Dandruff
The last of top 10 uses for witch hazel is to treat dandruff. Because dandruff causes white flakes in your hair and makes you uncomfortable, using witch hazel is perfect. It has the ability to balance the scalp’s pH that is effective for treating dandruff and dry scalp. Additionally, it can aid in relieving an itchy scalp.
- You create a mixture including witch hazel and water with a ratio of 1:2 in a spray bottle.
- Then, you moisten your hair as well as scalp with this solution.
- After that, you use your fingers and rub gently it into your scalp.
- You leave it for 5 minutes.
- Finally, you wash and dry your hair as usual.
- You should follow this method every other day until you get rid of dandruff. Then, you use it only once per week to prevent recurrence of the condition.
Related article: Medical And Common Uses For Apple Cider Vinegar
All are top 10 beauty uses for witch hazel. Hope you will soon find out the best uses for witch hazel for dealing with your beauty problems. If you need to know more about uses for witch hazel, leave your comment below or contact us on Facebook and we will give you feedback soon. Besides, if you also suffer from any other beauty problem, you can visit our main Beauty page to get some suggestions. Thanks so much!
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- 55 Best Foods for Erection Strength and Harder Erection
- It’s 2015: time to finally quit smoking
- 10 home remedies for hernia in stomach for men
- 19 Tips On How To Treat Achilles Tendonitis Naturally At Home
- 12 Ways on how to use rosewater for dark circles under eyes
- 26 Ways Of Making Natural Hair Mask For Dry Scalp At Home
- How to use jojoba oil on face: 9 effective methods
- Lupus bible & norton protocol review – Julia Liu’s treatment