Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is one health condition common in females of reproductive age caused by hormonal imbalance. Females diagnosed with PCOS often have raised the level of male hormones as well as insulin resistance and reduced levels of progesterone. Several of the general causes of PCOS include excessive stress, depression, anxiety, a perennial tension or faulty lifestyle. Just like the advantages of yoga for PMS, the rejuvenating and relaxing power of yoga assists a lot in coping with PCOS symptoms because it aids to deliver the deep rooted stress in your system. In this article, Vkool.com will show you 14 best yoga poses for PCOS treatment. The writing collected a list of yoga poses from reliable sources. However, it is not intended to give medical advice and it is solely for the informational purpose. Keep reading this writing to learn these yoga poses for PCOS in more detail!
14 Best Yoga Poses For PCOS Treatment That Work
1. Badhakonasana (Butterfly Pose)
Yoga aids to balancing hormones by decreasing the androgens and improving egg production. Butterfly pose is an easy and simple to do yoga pose which works well for natural PCOS treatment. The asana aids to open up your pelvic region and enhance relaxation which in turn assists to reduce stress and remove discomfort related to menstruation. Additionally, it’s also a wonderful healing yoga for people having back problems. However, you must have a calm and cool mind while practicing the yoga. Here are detailed guides for you to follow:
- Sit straight with the spine erect and the legs spread in the front, bend the knees and then bring the feet near your pelvis with the soles of your feet touching each other. Now, try to pull in your heels close to your genitals.
- Then take deep baths and now press the thighs as well as knees down towards your floor by giving gentle pressure.
- Afterward, start flapping both legs such as the wings of one butterfly in slow, and control motion for one minute and later come to a stop.
2. Supta Badhakonasana (Or Reclining Butterfly Pose)
General speaking, this is also one of the most effective yoga poses for PCOS treatment that is, even more, useful than that classic Butterfly pose. Typically, this pose must be practiced laying down that makes it extremely relaxing. Simply, beginners can do the posture by placing a pillow or cushion under the hip to gain better support.
How to do it:
- Lie down on the yoga mat or floor with the knees bent as well as feet resting flat on your ground.
- Then bring the heels close to your grin, press the palms on your floor beside the hips along with contract the abs when you breathe out and next move the tailbone towards your pubic bone. Keep the pelvic tilt.
- After that, exhale and allow the knees to open as well as come down towards your ground forming one stretch in the inner thighs plus groin region. Now join the soles of the feet together and put the outer edges of your feet on the ground.
- Keep the shoulders relaxed. Sit in this condition for about 30 seconds to one minute breathing slowly and fully and then come back to the starting position.
3. Bharadvajasana (Or Bharadvaja’s Twist)
This is also one of the best yoga poses for PCOS treatment. Daily practice of the yoga poses assist to balance blood pressure and also normalize the menstruation problems and enhance overall relaxation by rejuvenating your muscles and spine and soothing your nervous system. It’s also one of the useful yoga poses for treating neck pain. Here are detailed instructions:
- Stay on the yoga mat with the legs stretched in front along with arms resting on the both sides of your body.
- Then bend the knees and next bring them close to your left hip such that your weight of the body is resting on your right buttock. After that, rest the left ankle on your arch of the right foot.
- Slowly twist the upper body to your right side as much as you can, keeping your right hand on the floor and your left hand on the outer portion of your right thigh.
- Try to twist the body more with each breath. Hold in this position for one minute and after that gently return to the starting position and repeat this same process on the opposite side shifting your weight on the left buttock.
4. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
This is also one of the most beneficial yoga poses for PCOS treatment. This posture expends soothing pressure on your stomach and helps to prompt the functions of your ovary. It also aids in better digestion and decreasing stress. But it is best not the hold the posture for more than thirty seconds at a time.
How to do it:
- Lie on the stomach with toes placed flat on your floor, legs together along with hands under your shoulders with palms down on that floor and elbows close to your torso.
- Inhale deeply and next lift your head plus torso off your floor while holding the navel fixed on your floor.
- Support the raised torso with the both hands holding them straight and arching the back as much as possible. Tilt the head upward and then look up.
- Keep the shoulders free and away from your ears. Maintaining breathing normally in the state, wait for thirty seconds and come back to the starting position.
Learn more: Ovarian Cyst Review
5. Naukasana (Boat Pose)
This boat pose is one of the useful yoga poses for PCOS treatment which is also helpful for weight loss as well. It’s the best yoga type for weight loss which helps to achieve one perfectly flat abdomen. This pose puts controlled pressure on your abdominal region, raises blood flow to your reproductive organs and improves the functions of your ovaries.
How to do it:
- Lie down on your back with feet joined together along with arms resting beside your body.
- Take one deep breath and next lift up the head, chest and feet off your ground as you exhale stretching the arms towards the feet.
- Maintain your eyes, toes and fingers in one straight like while deeply breathing. Feel the tension in your navel and abdominal muscles.
- Maintain this pose for about 30 seconds and come back to the starting position.
6. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
This bow pose is also one of the most helpful yoga poses for PCOS treatment. It helps to enhance the functions of your reproductive organs, alleviates menstrual discomfort plus normalizes the menstrual cycles. Also, it assists people with kidney disorders, strengthens the core muscles and opens up the neck, chest, and shoulders.
How to do it:
- First of all, lie on the stomach with the feet resting hip-width apart plus arms resting on the sides of your body.
- Grip the ankles by folding your knees as well as bringing them near your hips.
- Lift the chest off with the ground and pull the legs up so that the body takes shape of an arched bow.
- Stabilize this pose and sit for thirty seconds while taking deep breaths. Then, exhale and return to the initial position by releasing your ankles.
7. Superman Pose (Or Viparita Shalabhasana)
This is also one of the best yoga poses for PCOS treatment. It also helps to boost blood circulation to your reproductive organs, tones your abdomen and lowers back muscles, enhances the chest, arms, shoulder, and legs and opens your chest.
How to do it:
- Lie on your stomach with toes placed flat on the ground and legs close to each other.
- Then stretch both your arms in front and raise the head, chest, arms, legs, and thighs off the floor as if you’re flying in the air.
- Feel the stretch in your arms, legs and torso and maintain breathing normally for thirty seconds and afterward go back to the initial position by relaxing the chests, arms, and legs.
8. Child’s Pose (Balasana)
Looking for the best yoga pose for PCOS, you should not pass this yoga. It also releases menstrual cramps, lower back tension and PMS symptoms together with normalizes blood flow throughout your body.
How to do it:
- Kneel down on your yoga mat and next sit on your heels, keeping the knees separated around hip-width apart.
- Then bring the head down in front to touch your floor and lay the torso down between the thighs.
- Place the hands on that floor at the side of your torso and relax your shoulders towards the floor.
- Rest in the posture for around 30 seconds to one minute and then return to starting position.
9. Mill Churning Pose (Or Chakki Chalanasana)
This Chakki Chalanasana is one basic yoga pose helping to normalize the functions of your reproductive organs. Particularly, the movements involved in the exercise helps to alter the functions of your endocrine gland, thus facilitating maximum hormonal secretion, and also it massages your uterus, reproductive organs, kidneys, liver, and pancreas. It’s also one of the functional exercises to practice to lose weight quickly from the stomach. Here are detailed guides to do it:
- Sit on the ground with the spine straight, arms raised at shoulder height and hands outstretched and palms clapped together.
- Inhale deeply and start moving the upper part of your body in a circular motion creating an imaginary circle with your body.
- Inhale while moving forward and then exhale when you go backward.
- Continue to deeply breathe while rotating for one minute and then feel the stretch in your arms, legs, groin and abdomen.
- You can make twenty rounds in a direction and then twenty rounds in the opposite direction.
10. Marjaryasana And Bitilasana (Or Cat And Cow Pose)
General speaking, both these yoga poses creates a lot of movement in your spine and aids to relax the tightness of your shoulder and neck as well. It also massages plus stimulates your abdominal muscles as well as reproductive organs and improves the functions of your Central Nervous System. Here are detailed guides for you to follow:
- Start on all fours keeping your spine neutral, first, drop your neck downward and arch the spine upwards to create a prominent arch with your spine like cats do, wait for five seconds and come back to the neutral position.
- Then, sway your spine in the opposite direction towards your ground forming an opposite arch with your spine called as the Cow arch.
- Repeat the opposite arches as many times as possible.
11. Prasarita Padottanasana (Or Wide-Legged Forward Bend)
This particular yoga posture acts your hips and lowers back pain by flexing your muscles within turn increase energy and aids blood circulation to your ovaries. This exercise also lengthens your spinal column along with stretches your leg and back muscles. Here is step-by-step instruction for you to do it:
- Begin in the Tadasana or Mountain Pose, exhale and lower the body in front, thus, your palms can touch the floor right under your shoulders.
- Lengthen the legs to press your hips up towards the ceiling, and feel the stretch in your spine as you press your head down further.
- Hold the position for about thirty seconds while breathing deeply and later come back to the starting position.
- You can use the yoga blocks under your hands if your hands do not touch the floor.
12. Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
Padmasana is also one of the best yoga poses for PCOS treatment. This pose assists to stretch your pelvic region plus aids to correct the hormonal imbalance that is vital for treating PCOS. It helps to decrease menstrual discomfort, ease childbirth, control blood pressure and relax the mind. Here are detailed guides for you to do it:
- First of all, sit on the floor with your spine straight, bend your right knee and put it on your left thigh such that the sole of your feet is pointing upwards, and this rests close to your abdomen.
- Bend your left knee and place your left foot on your right thigh in the same way.
- As both legs are crossed, put your hands on your knees while keeping the head straight.
- Maintain this posture for one minute while breathing gently and deeply.
13. Nispanda Bhava (Or Unmoving Observations)
Tension and stress have a negative impact on the PCOS symptoms and make things worse, thus controlling stress is also a vital part of the treatment. Here are detailed directions to do this exercise:
- Sit comfortable on your floor, reclining the back against the wall plus legs spread out.
- Maintain comfortable distance between 2 legs and allow your head and shoulders to relax so that there isn’t any kind of stiffness in your body.
- Rest your hands on your thighs, palms facing upwards.
- Relax in the state for around five to ten minutes holding the eyes closed.
- Now engage your mind in these fading sounds around you with no trying to evaluate any specific sound.
14. Shavasana (Corpse Pose)
This relaxing posture is useful for polycystic ovary syndrome treatment because it aids to relax the mind and body and relieve tension and stress in an effective manner. Here are detailed guides to do this exercise:
- After completion of this yoga session lie down on the back without any blankets or cushions and close your eyes.
- Keep the legs slightly apart and the knees and feet completely relaxed.
- Place your arms at the sides a little apart from your body, palms open as well as facing upward.
- Gradually relax the entire body while breathing deeply and slowly.
- Wait for about 10 minutes or until you feel totally relaxed and then mildly get up from your ground.
Tips To Control PCOS
- Take fresh foods as well as fresh vegetables.
- Drink adequate amount of water.
- Avoid junk, processed and fast foods
- Avoid coffee and alcohol.
- Avoid milk as well as milk products.
- One should do daily exercise, Yoga plus brisk walk to keep the weight.
- Take fresh salads and foods.
- Avoid faulty modern life in place of focus upon soothing music, scenic & nature beauty, gardening, and also spending time at the natural place.
To get more information related to useful exercises for everybody, go to our main Fitness page. After studying the writing of 14 best yoga poses for PCOS treatment, hope that this article will help you learn more some effective yoga poses for treating PCOS. If you have any question or comment, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Also, you can share your experiences with us if you know other yoga poses for PCOS treatment.