Dandruff is one most common scalp and hair problem faced by most of people all over the world. Basically, it occurs by the shedding of the dead skin from the dry, microbe-infected scalp or extremely oily that result in itchiness, redness, irritation and flaking of the scalp. In order to keep the balanced moisture, one dehydrated and dry scalp creates excess sebum that consequently obstructs your hair follicles. The hair follicles attract microbes along with results in bacterial as well as fungal infection of your scalp causing dandruff, psoriasis and Seborrhoeic Dermatitis. Usually, the dandruff is caused as the scalp becomes dry and starts to flakes. Here are some best natural oil for dandruff & their uses that are collected by Vkool.com from reliable sources. So, you should try these natural oil methods to fight dandruff and also to remove the irritated scalp.
Best Natural Oil For Dandruff & Its Uses You Should Not Miss
1. Coconut Oil For Dandruff
Using natural oils to the hair and scalp is a good natural way to inhibit dandruff. This is an useful oil for dandruff. Coconut oil acts as one deep moisturizer which can assist to care for dry scalp and deals with dandruff effectively. It contains antifungal properties which cure the fungus causing dandruff. In addition, it acts well for reconditioning dry hair due to its molecular structure as it getting past the cuticle, penetrating the hair shaft, repairing and inhibiting damage from inside out. Moreover, it contains capric acid, lauric acid and vitamin E will assist to restructure hair, raise hair’s strength by inhibiting protein loss and lastly improves shine to the hair. It’s an edible oil that contains nutritional and antibiotic properties that possess high combustibility and viscosity that helps to inhibit the dryness of your scalp and dandruff when applied frequently. Here are some methods to use this oil for dandruff:
- Wash the hair but ensure that not to apply any conditioners
- Then, dry the hair after shampooing but doesn’t feel silky as this has to feel dry.
- Thereafter, apply coconut oil on the scalp and do not get this into the rest of the hair.
- Wash the hair to clear this oil for two times a day
- Do the process once weekly till you get complete cure from dandruff.
Method 2: Coconut Oil and Lime Juice
- Take coconut oil (5 tablespoons) and add lemon juice (a tablespoon) into it.
- Mix it well and now apply on your scalp.
- Massage it gently and allow it for about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Wash it off using shampoo to remove dandruff.
- Then, cover your hair using a warm towel to inhibit dandruff on your scalp.
- Or else, you can combine the lemon juice in one warm this oil (under indirect heat)
- Or, you may try consumption of coconut oil supplements (capsules) or coconut oil each day which aids to treat dandruff as well as dryness of the skin.
- Daily repeating of this same process will assist to prevent dandruff.
Method 3: Hot Coconut Oil Massage
- First of all, take one hundred percent pure coconut oil that is in one solid form.
- Then, heat it either in microwave or stove to have hot liquid coconut oil.
- Apply the hot oil on the scalp but not your hair.
- Massage it gently in your scalp using your finger tips.
- Cover your head using a shower cap or towel and leave it to treat the scalp for around 15 – 20 minutes.
- Afterwards, rinse the hair thoroughly with a deep moisturizing conditioner.
- Continue doing the process for once per week to control this dandruff completely.
Method 4: (Coconut Oil for Overnight)
- Take coconut oil (3 – 5 tablespoons) and next apply it onto your scalp.
- Massage it lightly all over the scalp for few minutes.
- Allow it to sit for at overnight.
- In the next morning, rinse the hair as normal with the shampoo but ensure that you need not to apply conditioner as the coconut oil hair mask is one fantastic pre-conditioner.
- Follow this process every day for around 5 – 7 days in order to get dandruff clear hair.
Method 5: (Coconut Oil with Fenugreek)
- Take fenugreek seeds (a tablespoon) and crush it well. General speaking, the seeds are anti-fungus and also they get rid of the fungus which is growing outside and inside the scalp.
- Then, take coconut oil (5 tablespoons) and warm it.
- Mix the fenugreek powder into this warm oil
- Now apply this on the scalp when this oil comes to room temperature.
- After that, allow it to sit for around 2 hours and now wash it off using water followed by mild shampoo.
- This process has to be repeated frequently to remove the mild shampoo.
Method 6: (Coconut Oil and Other Essential Oils)
- Take coconut oil (a cup), tea tree oil (a teaspoon), cedar wood essential oil (4 drops) and ylang ylang (2 drops).
- Then, mix all the above-mentioned ingredients very well and now apply it on the scalp.
- Massage it gently on the scalp and allow it for at least one hour so that it’ll penetrate into your scalp and hair.
- Rinse the hair using shampoo and water.
- Follow this method for once per week to inhibit dandruff and to make the hair soft and shiny.
Method 7: (Coconut Oil and Rosemary Oil)
- First of all, take a small quantity of rosemary oil and add coconut oil (a few drops) into it.
- Mix it well and now apply this to the scalp.
- Allow it for some minutes and then wash it off to remove dandruff.
- Repeat this for every alternative day in order to get complete cure from dandruff.
Method 8: (Coconut Oil and Camphor)
- First of all, take camphor (a teaspoon) and add this to 1/2 cup of coconut oil.
- Then, mix it well and keep this in an airtight container.
- Now apply this to the scalp and then massage it for 10 minutes.
- Follow this for each night prior to going to bed.
- You should continue this method for two weeks and dandruff will be controlled.
2. Tea Tree Oil
General speaking, this oil will effectively combat against the fungus causing dandruff without drying your scalp and it is one natural conditioner too. Additionally, tea tree oil has natural antibiotic and antiseptic which smells fantastic. This efficiently cures dandruff problem without any side effects. Here are a few methods to use this oil for dandruff:
Method 1: (Diluted Tea Tree Oil Spray)
- First of all, take tea tree oil (a tablespoon) and mix it in warm water (a cup).
- Then, mix it well and now pour this in an empty spray bottle.
- After that, spray this solution after using shampoo to your hair.
- Now massage the scalp and hair with this spray.
- Pat it dry and then continue following the process frequently to get clear from the dandruff.
Method 2: (Tea Tree Oil and Carrier Oils)
- First of all, mix tea tree oil along with carrier oil (like olive oil or almond oil) in 10:1 ratio i.e. one teaspoon of carrier oil with ten drops of tea tree oil.
- Stir it well and now massage it on the scalp.
- Leave it on for around half an hour.
- Rinse your hair using normal water followed by your shampoo.
- Follow up frequently to get complete cure from the dandruff as well as dry scalp.
Method 3: (Tea Tree Oil and regular shampoo)
- First of all, take tea tree oil (some drops) and next add this to the regular shampoo mixture.
- Or you can use shampoo that contains five percent of tea tree oil.
- Apply this to the hair and allow it for few minutes.
- Wash it off thoroughly and follow the process once for two days.
Method 4: (Tea Tree Oil and Grape Seed Oil)
- Take tea tree oil (12 drops) and next add this to grape seed oil (1 oz).
- Mix it well and now apply this to your scalp.
- The regular application assists to cure from the dandruff.
- Wait for some minutes and afterwards wash your hair using shampoo and water.
- You may also use jojoba oil instead of grape seed oil.
3. Olive Oil For Dandruff
Olive oil will soothe your scalp and lightly rejuvenating the scalp with its nutrition and moisture. This will inhibit dandruff very effectively.
In addition, olive oil replenishes brittle, dry and damaged hair as the oil dandruff treatment target on your scalp rather than the follicles. Moreover, olive oil when applied on your scalp will dip into thick, scaly areas on your scalp which cause persistent dandruff. This will hydrate them enough to leave them to release and loosen in a large piece in place of smaller flakes. This’ll put a complete end to this dandruff as well as other hair problems. Here are some useful ways to use this oil for dandruff:
Method 1: (Olive Oil)
- Firstly, take olive oil and next apply it to the hair prior to washing your hair.
- Allow it to sit for around 5 – 10 minutes in order to do its work on the dandruff.
- Wash the hair to remove the dandruff.
- Also, apply this olive oil once more prior to going to bed.
- Cover your hair using a cotton cap or towel or use an old pillowcase in order to absorb the oil.
- You’ll wake up with one dandruff free head in the next morning.
- Repeating it regularly for one week will help to remove dandruff completely.
Method 2: (Hot Olive Oil Treatment)
- First of all, take olive oil (a few drops) and make this warm on indirect heat.
- Then, use this warm oil in order to massage it on the scalp.
- Then, wrap your hair using a
- Leave it for about half an hour and rinse it off using normal water and shampoo.
- Alternatively, you can massage the warm oil on your scalp in circular motion prior to going to bed and then, in the morning wash it off using a mild shampoo.
Method 3: (Olive Oil and Saran Wrap)
- Take warm olive oil (1/2 cup) and wet the hair using water so as it to inhibit it from absorbing any oil.
- Afterwards, take one gravy brush and use this to apply the oil to the scalp.
- Now wrap the head in saran wrap (above the eyes, nose and mouth).
- Allow it to sit for around 30 – 40 minutes and then rinse it off thoroughly.
- Continue doing this process frequently to clear dandruff.
Method 4: (Olive Oil and Black Pepper)
- Firstly, take olive oil (3 teaspoons) and add black pepper powder (a teaspoon). Black pepper contains dandruff fighting minerals, selenium and zinc and used effectively to cure dandruff.
- Mix it well and then apply this by massaging it on the scalp.
- Allow it to stay for about one hour and then shampoo the hair.
- It is better to apply this on your scalp in night and allow it for overnight.
- Repeat this process continuously for about 3 – 4 nights to get complete relief from this dandruff.
Method 5: (Olive Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take apple cider vinegar (2 tablespoons), distilled water (2 tablespoons) and olive oil (2 tablespoons).
- Then, add all these ingredients in one small bowl and now stir it well.
- Wet your hair till it is just damp and pour this rinse over the head.
- Then massage it into the scalp with your fingers.
- Allow it on the scalp for around 20 – 25 minutes.
- Shampoo the hair normally and then continue doing it.
Learn more: 18 Health & Beauty Advantages Of Olive Oil
4. Jojoba Oil For Dandruff
Generally, jojoba oil dissolves your excess sebum (excess oil on the scalp), cleanses the hair and scalp by inhibiting the dry, dandruff as well as damaged hair. This oil helps balance the proper pH balances for natural and healthy growth of hair as well as scalp. Here are some effective ways to use this oil for dandruff:
Method 1: (Jojoba Oil Conditioner)
- First of all, add Jojoba oil (few drops) into the regular condition (ten drops of oil for a three oz of bottle).
- Mix it and then shake it well to mix this oil in the conditioner.
- After washing the hair using shampoo, then condition the hair with this mixture.
- Allow it on for around 3 – 5 minutes and then wash it with water.
- Use the conditioner whenever you shampoo the hair for dandruff free plus healthy hair.
Method 2: (Jojoba Oil and Lavender Oil)
- First of all, take jojoba oil (1 oz) and add lavender essential oil (16 drops) (or tea tree oil).
- Mix these two oils in one clean container.
- Later pour or drop one quarter – sized amount of the oils into the palms and now spread it evenly by using the fingers.
- Now, massage deeply on the scalp for about one or two minutes by adding more of the oil if required.
- Don’t forget to do an up and down zigzag motion on your base of the skull by rubbing with the fingernails.
- You have to start with each hand behind the ears and making the hands meet just right above the neck.
- Do the process of up and down zigzag for some times plus for the top of the scalp, you must rub from the ears to the middle of the scalp but horizontally.
- Lastly, you have done one deep rub or massage to the scalp.
- Allow it for around 20 minutes by covering the head using shower cap and afterwards wash it off using shampoo and water.
- You should continue the process for better results.
Method 3: (Jojoba Oil)
- First of all, take jojoba oil (few drops) and next apply it directly on the hair and scalp by massaging it.
- Wrap the hair using a hot towel and allow it for around 10 – 15 minutes.
- Lastly, wash your hair using shampoo and conditioner.
- This process assists to have squeaky healthy, clean, beautiful as well as dandruff clear hair.
- Repeat this process frequently for better results.
Learn more: Advantages Of Jojoba Oil For Natural Hair Growth
5. Neem Oil For Dandruff
This oil makes the scalp shiny and smooth. It is a useful treatment for dandruff. Additionally, neem oil works as natural insect repellent that possess insecticidal properties treating dandruff very effectively. Furthermore, neem oil has anti-microbial properties which kill the fungus and bacteria causing dandruff. Daily application of neem oil can also resolve thinning hair troubles and assists to promote the growth by enhancing it and inhibits it from the infections. Here are several methods to use this oil for dandruff:
Method 1: (Neem Shampoo)
- Take neem oil (1/2 teaspoon) and add this to the regular shampoo.
- Shake it well to combine the ingredients properly.
- Or, you may use the shampoo which contains this oil as an ingredient in this.
- Wash your hair using this shampoo mixture once per week to treat dandruff completely.
Method 2: (Neem Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Wash the hair thoroughly and next apply a small quantity of apple cider vinegar to the scalp.
- Leave it for one minute or two and after that rinse it off.
- Dry the hair partially and then apply a little quantity of neem oil to the scalp.
- Lastly, dry it off using a clean towel and follow it to remove the dandruff.
Method 3: (Neem Oil and Olive Oil)
- Take neem oil (a capful) from the neem oil bottle.
- Then, add this to olive oil (a tablespoon) and mix it well.
- Now, apply this to the scalp and allow it to sit for around 20 – 25 minutes.
- Lastly, wash your hair to inhibit dandruff.
Method 4: (Neem Oil with Basil Oil and Tea Tree Oil)
- First of all, take neem oil, basil oil and tea tree oil in equal quantities.
- Mix it well and now apply this onto the scalp.
- Allow it to sit for around 1 – 2 hours.
- Shampoo the hair to have dandruff clear hair and then continue doing it.
- In the process, you can also use rosemary oil instead of basil oil.
6. Castor Oil For Dandruff
Generally, castor oil combats the bacteria causing dandruff on the scalp and moisturizes your skin by ending dry flakes. This oil contains antibacterial and antifungal properties that are very useful in dealing with scalp infections like dandruff. Plus, castor oil is packed with essential nutrients like omega – 6 fatty acids, vitamin E and amino acids as all these will moisturizes the dry flakes as well as itchy scalp which assists to eliminate dandruff. Moreover, it is filled with plenty of great vital nutrients like minerals, proteins and vitamin E which help to have one healthy hair. To use this oil for dandruff, you should do as follows:
Method 1: (Castor Oil)
- First of all, take small quantity of castor oil in one bowl.
- Apply it on the scalp by using one cotton ball.
- Let it stay for around 20 – 25 minutes.
- Rinse it off exclusively and dry your hair.
- This process has to be repeated daily until you get complete cure from the dandruff.
Method 2: (Castor Oil and Olive Oil)
- Firstly, take small quantity of olive oil and castor oil.
- Mix it well and then slightly warm it up.
- Now, apply it on the scalp by gently massaging on the head.
- After that, wrap your head using a warm towel and allow it for around10 – 15 minutes.
- Then, wash the hair using good quality shampoo.
- Continue doing it frequently until you get cure from the dandruff.
You have to follow the points for dandruff free as well as healthy hair.
- Hot oil therapy is a great home treatment for the control and prevention of common dandruff why because this relieves dryness of your scalp and inhibits clogging of the pores of your scalp. Here, you can apply any above mentioned oil for the hot treatment.
- You may use mixture of any of the above-mentioned oils such as tea tree oil and coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil, etc.
- Essential oils like tea tree oil, castor oil, etc. will not be used directly on your scalp and it should be applied by combining any of the carrier oil such as olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil.
- Check the essential oil if you are using this for the first time. Avoid using it if you are allergic to it.
- Ensure to apply most of the oils on the scalp rather than on all over the hair in treating dandruff.
To get more information related to hair care, go to our main Hair page. After studying the writing of 6 best natural oils for dandruff, hope that this article will help you know more some useful oils for treating dandruff. If you have any question or comment, please leave them below, I will respond you as soon as possible. Do you know any other ways to use oil for dandruff? Then share your experience with us.
Want More Content Like This In Your Inbox?
- 27 Tips on How to Prevent Greasy Hair Overnight and in the Morning
- Choosing baby names to go with surname by meaning
- 4 Tips On How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Heartburn Relief
- Best nuts for health and nutrition: go nuts for better health
- 8 Easy And Healthy Muscle Building Recipes
- How to increase blood platelets count naturally: 13 easy ways
- Top 10 Anti Aging Essential Oils For Skin You Should Not Ignore
- The list of iron rich foods for kids – best foods to choose