Baby acne or neonatal acne is a skin condition affecting newborns, particularly infants around two months old. Baby acne affects about 20% infants, which breaks out as tiny and pimples, white and red bumps on the skin. Baby acne isn’t a serious problem and subsides in due course automatically. Baby acne mainly occurs on the face region and not on the chest, legs or arms. Generally speaking, new mothers get anxious and immediately consult a doctor as a newborn baby suffers from baby acne. Invariably, doctors prescribe a few topical treatments. However, baby acne gets cured naturally. It’s advised to follow the natural remedies because they are safe for a newborn baby. Here are some natural home remedies for baby acne, which are collected by VKool. Keep in mind to consult a doctor before applying any method in this article because the baby’s skin is very sensitive.
Top 9 Natural Home Remedies For Baby Acne That Work Wonders
1. Home Remedies For Baby Ance – Breast Milk
Breast milk is a wonderful treatment for normal nappy rash and baby acne as well. Click To Tweet Breast milk has lauric acid, which comes with healing properties. Breast milk exfoliates the skin to treat baby acne because it’s a natural antibacterial and antimicrobial liquid. In addition, breast milk protects the skin of your baby from acne attack and heals and hydrates the skin as well. Thus, the safest and natural home remedies for baby acne must include breast milk.
- Breast milk
- Simply, place breast milk (a few drops) on the acne affected part of your baby.
- Alternatively, you can apply it to the whole face of your baby. With the help of a cotton ball or your figure tip, spread it in a circular motion on your baby’s face.
- After 20 minutes, wipe your baby’s face using a wet & warm cloth.
- The remedy needs to be applied three times a day to remove baby acne.
2. Consume Dandelion Tea
Basically, dandelion root is used to maintain the balance of hormones of the female genital system. Consumption of dandelion tea is not only beneficial for the mother but also for the baby. Dandelion root helps the skin to remove acne causing bacteria because it consists of bitter principles. The baby can get the benefit of dandelion root via the breast milk if the mother consumes dandelion tea. Here are the detailed steps to make this tea as home remedies for baby acne at home:
- Some dandelion root & red raspberry
- 3 inches of lemon grass
- ½ cup of nettles
- 1 bowl of water
- Take a bowl full of water and few dandelion roots, 3 inches of lemongrass, half cup of nettles together with red raspberry.
- Next, boil the water and then, put all the ingredients into it. After that, keep the stuff boiling together with water for a gap of 15 to 20 minutes. While making the tea, keep it stirring.
- Add sugar and honey as required and filter the tea.
- To treat baby acne, consume this tea three times a day.
- You can store the remaining tea in the refrigerator for 2 days.
3. Using Apple Cider Vinegar
The best natural home remedies for baby acne must also include apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is oil absorbent and is a bacteria killer as well. It aids in killing the bacteria rapidly and makes the skin healthy and clean. Vinegar must be applied in a diluted form for treating baby acne because it is very concentrated and thin. It’s suggested to check the reaction of apple cider vinegar on the skin of your baby by applying a small amount of it on the hand prior to using it.
- 1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of distilled water
- Take apple cider vinegar (about 1-2 teaspoons) and mix it with a half cup of distilled water.
- Mix it well and immerse a few cotton balls in this solution for 5 minutes. Gently apply to the acne-affected regions of your little one.
- Wait for 20 minutes and use a warm & wet cloth to clean the face of your baby.
- Use it 2 times a day for about five days to cure the problem.
4. Home Remedies For Baby Acne – Cornstarch
When looking for the natural home remedies for baby acne, you must not forget cornstarch. Cornstarch contains several vitamins, such as vitamin B5, B1, and C. Besides, it includes niacin, lycopene and thiamine, which make it very beneficial for the baby’s skin. Further, it works as an antioxidant and aids in maintaining a smooth skin. It also gives necessary vitamins and minerals to the baby’s skin to fight against acne. Cornstarch also has a property drying out the skin, so it is useful to rid the baby’s face of the excessive oil.
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- Few drops of water
- At first, take 2 teaspoons of cornstarch and make a thick paste by mixing it with water.
- After that, apply this solution on the baby’s face with your fingertips or a Q-tip and leave it on for 60 minutes.
- Rinse the face of your baby using lukewarm water and apply a moisturizer as needed.
- In order to remove baby acne soon, repeat it two times a day.
5. Using Coconut Oil
The best natural home remedies for baby acne should include coconut oil. Like breast milk, it can treat baby acne very effectively. It helps to moisturize the baby skin and protect the skin from the bacterial attack. In addition, coconut oil gets absorbed easily into the baby’s skin. It also enriches the baby’s skin because it is a powerhouse of vitamin E. Both coconut oil and breast milk include lauric acid, which gives it the ability to combat baby acne.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Cotton balls
- Firstly, take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Apply this oil to your baby’s face directly or can use some lukewarm coconut oil.
- Dip the cotton balls in the oil for a minute and gently rub these cotton balls on the baby’s acne affected area. Wait for 20 minutes so that the baby skin can absorb coconut oil.
- Finally, the face using a wet cloth.
6. Lemon Juice And Honey
Both lemon and honey have a ton of medicinal benefits. Honey is a good natural product, so it’s a great choice for your baby. This combination gives the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial impact on the skin. Lemon juice and honey penetrate deep into the skin of your baby when applied to it. This action aids in absorbing and flushing out the impurities causing baby acne. Honey soothes the skin while lemon exfoliates it.
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey or Manuka honey
- Firstly, take the juice of half a lemon and 1 tablespoon of honey. Then, mix together both the ingredients.
- After that, in the liquid, soak a cotton ball for 2 to 3 minutes. Gently apply the liquid on the face of your baby and spread it well.
- Wait for at least ½ hour and remove it with the help of a warm wet cloth.
- This process needs to be repeated twice per day to gain better results.
In addition to all those home remedies for baby acne, it is essential to maintain your baby’s skin as clean as possible since the skin is sensitive and vulnerable to infections. Follow some instructions below:
- Keep in mind to keep the pillowcases, bedding, and apparel of the baby clean.
- Remember to change the pillowcases and bed sheet every other day. All the toys of the baby should also be rinsed with a disinfectant regularly.
- Prior to touching your baby’s face, you, your friends or family members should clean hands.
- Keep the face of your baby hydrated. Don’t clean the baby’s face too many times because it can make it dry.
- For your laundry, you should use antibacterial detergent.
8. Home Remedies For Baby Acne – Oatmeal
Oatmeal does a wonderful job in skin soothing and moisturizing and makes for great baby acne remedy. Thus, the most beneficial home remedies for baby acne must include oatmeal.
- 1/3 cup of oatmeal
- Blend the oatmeal using a blender or food processor. Take warm water and fill your bath tub and later pour in that oatmeal powder.
- After that continue to swirl the water using your hands until the powder evenly has been distributed.
- Treat your baby to the advantages of an oatmeal bath for ten minutes, avoiding the eye area.
- After 10ten minutes, pat the skin of your baby dry (without rinsing it).
- The process should be repeated once every day or every other day. The acne rashes and bumps will clear up soon.
9. Using Baby Powder
The baby powder comes handy for treating diaper rashes and baby acne. It helps to dry the skin without causing the clogged pores. You can use the baby powder in the wet areas due to this property of baby powder.
- Baby powder
- Clean the affected area at first and pat it dry. After that, sprinkle some baby powder on the affected area.
- With the help of your fingertips, gently rub the powder.
- After the baby bath, follow this regularly.
- Don’t prick, pop or pinch baby acne.
- Avoid using astringents on baby skin.
- Avoid using strong topical solutions and creams containing benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid.
- Avoid applying lotions that clog the pores. You should use a moisturizing baby wash with oil-free until acne clears.
- Keep drying the face of your baby after spitting or drooling.
- Breastfeeding mothers should avoid eating too many fruits, especially sweet fruits.
- Check for allergy first whenever using any treatment on a baby’s skin. If there’s a sign of irritation, do not use the remedy.
- Check for acne or rashes elsewhere on the body of the bay. As talked earlier, baby acne often appears on the area of the face, but if this issue appears elsewhere in the baby’s body, you need to consult your doctor immediately. It can be eczema or cradle cap.
You can read more about our articles by visiting our main Home Remedies page. In fact, you can treat the baby acne easily by following these natural home remedies. You will see how rapidly they produce results and bring back your baby a soft and smooth skin. Now just try out these home remedies for baby acne and share your thoughts with us.