Deciding to start a business could be one of the most exhilarating decisions you make in your life. However, in order to do it, there are many moving parts and different elements to consider. Here, we provide you with an overview about basic steps on how to start a small business successfully. The recommendation is to take one step at a time, and you will be on your own way to small business ownership.
How To Start A Small Business – 7 Essential Steps You Must Know
1. Get Inspired
This first step on how to start a small business seems so vague, but it is important for those who want to go for a long time in their business life. All businesses start from a common point – idea. You might have a dream of starting your own business for many years, or inspiration might have hit you unexpectedly. No matter of the original source, the first and foremost step of starting your own business is to come up with a business idea.
2. Recognize Business Opportunity
Choosing what kind of business to begin with could be an immobilizing task when confronted with the multitude of chances. It is critical for you to identify your own passions and to understand your personality kind. All above, you must know what skills you will bring on the table and whether you entering a growing, emerging business or a dying industry.
There are some fundamental tips on recognizing business opportunity that I would like to share with you today:
- Test it. Every successful software developer knows that in order to get the best product in their filed, they need to launch a beta test. This will help their product get in hands of users early for critical feedback. So, it is not good idea to keep your idea secret. Try sharing it with a selective group of potential customers. It is said that without real- world feedback, you business chance will rapidly hit the wall.
- Find your target. Perhaps your idea has potential in multiple markets; yet, just begin with one goal with the greatest demand. It is important to target a specific and reachable market if you want to be successful.
- Use protection. Due to your new business, it is easy to be vulnerable. In order to protect and nurture your business, you need to apply some forms of protection armor. By this way, you will have assurance that no company can invade or steal your market share. It can be displayed in many forms, including exclusive contacts, licensing, patents, etc.
- See the need of people. Ultimately, business comes down to the simple task of supplying a product as well as service people need. It sounds simple, yet often skipped and undervalued. A certain business opportunity will be rated high if it meets a client’s wants or demands.
- Play the money game. Before starting any business, you need to evaluate the cost of building your business. The opportunity could be great; nevertheless, if you are not well prepare to go raising the budget for launch, then this chance is not for you. The best business chance is the one that matches your possibilities to handle with and raises attainable cash.
- Bring skills to the table. When starting any business, no matter it is small or large, bringing your skills to the table is always important. If your business needs you go out of your comfort zone, it may be better to find something which more closely mirrors your own skills and abilities.
Do you have any idea for your business? If not, refer some suggestion here:
- Steps to build a fitness business plan
- Steps to set up a gym
- Steps to make money with cakes plan
- Steps to build a film business
3. Build A Business Plan
You need to make a plan in order to make your business idea a reality. A business plan will help you get better understanding and preparation of your industry structure, capital requirements, and competitive landscape. To help you have specific view on how to build a business plan, I am glad to introduce the following advice:
- Funding and audience type. When building a business plan, you have to clarify who will be reading it. By this way, you can shape the plan specifically. Each form of funding for your business has advantages and disadvantages. You task now is to determine which is the best one for you.
Writing a business plan for bank will be wrapped in about 10-15 pages and concentrate on the concern of the bank – risk. Writing for investors might be wrapped in about 15-30 pages with detailed analysis of facts and figures to support assumptions of the target market.
- Create an outline. A business plan outline is the second most critical factor you have prepared if you want to have a well-planned business. The business plan should be prepared before the actual research.
- Research and collect information. When you make decision of the kind of funding your own business requires, the next step you should do is going for a research. A business plan research often covers some following areas:
– An inside from your own experience working as well as observing the industry you are going to join in.
– Information from internet, library, and paid database services can supply information on the growth of your market, perspective of the overall industry, and clients’ profiles.
– Research on field that covers interviews with clients, suppliers, competitors, as well as industry experts. This can supply a real insight behind all of the published facts.
- An overview about industry. You will start the research with a general overview of the industry, association reports, and uncovering industry. Once you have a general overview about industry, you will avoid embarrassment in contacting experts with basic questions.
4. Small Business Funding And Financing
These are two different financial strategies that you must clarify, which are debt and equity financing. Taking on debt means borrowing money for your business, whereas, getting equity entails injecting your own or other stakeholders’ cash into your company. Here are some kinds of funding and financing:
- Get small business loan : when it comes to finding the first loan or credit is not with your banker, your lawyer, or accountant, but with you. The business is the owner so your personal credit history is an important factor in getting a business loan.
- Qualification of small business loan: when any bank starts to tighten lending to the small business market, they often look to decrease the risk of issuing a small business loan. In order to qualify, you need to understand the risk of the assessment processes bankers use in loan determinations.
For the start-up business, in contrast to popular belief, most start-ups are not funded by angel investors, grants, or banks. So, you should not get discouraged if you do not find the money you need at first. Your money will come from your personal savings, family, friends, and any other creative means.
5. Determine Your Business Structure
Deciding on the structure of your business is not a decision to be taken lightly. Whatever kind of structure you choose; your choice will have an influence on your business liability, fund-ability and taxes due. Here are some common types of business structures:
- Sole Proprietorship
- General Partnership
- Limited Partnership
- Limited Liability Partnership
- Limited Liability Company
Operating a business with one or several partners might appeal to some business owners. The road to entrepreneurship can be lonely. However, great rewards might result from forming a business partnership. In fact, each one has its own pros and cons. However, partnerships offer more freedom for business owners with shared business tasks and the potential to earn greater profits.
If you want to make money online, then refer tips on how to start up an affiliate business plan
6. Choosing A Location
It is critical for you to consider some factors when deciding on the location of your own business. Ideally, the location for your business will be dependent on what kind of business you run.
Here are some tips to help you choose the right business location:
- Determine your demands: most business choose a location that supplies exposure to customers. Additionally, there are less obvious factors and demands to consider:
– Brand image
– Local labor market
– Plan for future growth
– Proximity to suppliers
– Zoning regulations
- Assess your finances. Besides determining what you could afford, you still need to be aware of many other financial considerations, which are:
– Hidden costs: include renovation, decorating, IT system upgrades, etc.
– Taxes: contain property taxes, income and sales tax rates
– Minimum wage: different places will have different minimum wage rates.
– Government economic incentives: the location could determine whether you qualify for government economic business program, such as state-specific small business loans as well as other incentives.
7. Choose Your Accounting System
The last basic steps on how to start a small business that I want to introduce to you in this article is choosing an accounting system. Small businesses will run most efficiently when its systems are in the right places. One of the most ultimate systems for a small business is an accounting system. The accounting system is essential to create and manage your budget, conduct your business with others, and file your taxes. You could set an accounting system by yourself or you can hire an accountant to take away some of the guesswork.
Dreaming about how fabulous your own business can be is good; yet doing some steps to make it real is sensational. It is all about the hustle: the decisions you make and the actions you take every day. That will get you to the place you want to be in.
After covering all of the tips on how to start a small business, are you ready to be your own boss from now? If yes, make use all of these steps properly. I believe that you will be successful in the near future.
Leave all your comments at the end of this post on how to start a small business to let us know what you think. We will answer all soon!